Lost my best buddy this past weekend :(

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Lost my best buddy this past weekend :(

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I was in Mississippi hunting with my bud Smitty and my wife called crying. One of our welsh terrier's, Lance took ill while I was gone and had to go in for exploritory surgery (they saw a blockage when they did a scan) - no blockage but his pancrease was in bad shape. He aspirated during surgery and they were able to clear it but his lungs filled up with fluid again - they said he didn't have much of a chance of recovering... I told her to let them put him down. He'd been having stomache problems for several months - throwing up and such... They took biopsies of the pancrease and a couple of other things to check - but no use now that he's gone.

I'm really missing him. He was the coolest dog I've ever had - I'm still getting wet-eyed thinking about him...

Got home last night and his little bed was still there next to my night table where he slept - one of his favorite toys there. I nearly broke down when I saw it.

He loved life and was very affectionate. Hardly ever barked and was a real tough little guy. I was his favorite.

He was only 10 years old and in great health until this happened. I sure wish I could've been here to see him off. :cry:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lost my best buddy this past weekend :(

Post by madman4570 »

Sorry for your loss O.S.O.K. :( Dogs hold a special place in our hearts.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

So sorry to hear that. Condolences for your loss.
Old Law Dawg
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Sorry to hear of your friend. I have lost several dogs in my life it never gets easy and you never forget them. :(
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, OSOK. I know how painful it is. As been said here before, it's a bargin we make with them -- we will take care of them and love them, and they give us their all -- for the 10-12 years (some more, some less) that God blesses us with their presence. It's so hard to let them go, but I believe we will see them again. I can't believe a God of love will keep us from our most loving friends. I know you've seen the Rainbow Bridge write up before. Read it again and keep it in mind for those days that are tough. I still tear up when I think of those special dogs in my life that are no longer with me. And I can't wait for the day when I see them again.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Wm
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Sorry for your loss OSOK, I know just how you feel, I still think of our wire haired fox terrier we lost over 10 years ago.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sorry friend on your loss, it is amazing this special relationship man has with dogs ain't it.
The other day I wondered what I would do if something would happen to Tia and a shudder ran down my spine!

Blessings to you and you two.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Thanks guys. I know it will pass but I'm just feeling very empty inside since this happened. I know he was "just" a dog but we had a special bond that I've never had with any other pup. Almost more of a bond than you can have with another person in a way.

Our female was following me around this morning and when I got done in the bathroom, she was laying on Lance's pad curled up next to his toys - something she never did when he was here. I don't know how a dog experiences loss, but she's definately aware that he's gone.

It will just take some time I guess.

In the mean time, I thank God for the many blessings that I and my family have and try to put it all in perspective.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

So sorry for your loss. I lost my dog two years ago now on Christmas. It's ne of those things that you figure will happen at some point, but you are never ready to deal with. The only condolence is that they are no longer in pain.

I've found this quote from Will Rogers helpfull.......

"If dogs don't go to Heaven when they die....Then when I die I want to go where they go...."
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sorry to hear that OSOK --- sent a quick prayer your way. Our loved ones who go before us are not suffering anymore, but that doesnt take away any pain the ones left behind feel
----- Doug
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sorry to hear of your sad loss. Dogs often leave us with more fond memories than a lot of humans do.
They don't call them mans best friend for nothing.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I'll put Lance in my prayers and tell my dogs that have passed to keep and eye out for him and show him the ropes. Best to you.
ED
Yer never too old
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Sorry for your loss. I lost my buddy of 15 years early this summer, it stinks. But, hopefully they're all at the Rainbow Bridge waiting for us.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The average fella only lives for about 5 or 6 dogs-worth of life.... :( Not near enough, IMO. Better go get another puppy.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BlueStateSaint
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlueStateSaint »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Sorry for your loss. I lost my buddy of 15 years early this summer, it stinks. But, hopefully they're all at the Rainbow Bridge waiting for us.
I was going to mention the Rainbow Bridge.

Had to wipe my eyes for a bit--something musta got into both at the same time.

There's a Siberian Husky waiting at said bridge for me.

Gotta wipe my eyes again . . . Allergies . . . (not really)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You have our heartfelt condolences.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea, that really sucks. Life spans should be the other way around----dogs should live to 70 and most people should live a lot less than they do.--------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Dirty Dan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Dirty Dan »

I know how it is. I had to put down 2 old friends this year, both 15. One had cancer, the other arthritis. I hate it.
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. - John Steinbeck
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I am sorry. You have my sincere condolences.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Jac, I am so sorry to hear this. Condolences my friend... :(
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

LANCE WASN'T "JUST A DOG!"

He was your best friend, one of your kids! nothing "just" about it!

You have my deepest sympathies. I've lost some dogs, but I was lucky enough to be able to hold them and comfort them as they passed over. I don't know how I could take it if I had to give the order via long distance.

You, your wife, the rest of your family have my deepest sympathy. Just know that Lance is waiing for you at Rainbow Bridge..

Doc

Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I am sorry for your loss, truly. prayers up for you and your family.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Sorry friend. I have been in that boat many times. With so much love to give, find a new friend. Not to replace, as that can never be done ,but to fill the hole in your heart.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Again, thank y'all for your kind words and prayers.

Our female "Button" remains with us - for a while, as she is 13 years old now and beginning to show her age.

She is deaf and we didn't realize it, but apprently became reliant on Lance to hear for her when we'd let them out in the yard together. She just stands on the porch now and will tenatively step down and stay right up near the back door unless you go out with her and walk around - then she'll range around the yard as before...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sorry to hear it Jac.

That has to be tough. I have two older dogs too and just dread the day I will lose them

jason
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

My sincere condolences. It has been a while for me but I know that pain very well. I have two senior dogs right now and I know that I'll face it again.

Take comfort in the fact that you made his life a good one. Think of all the dogs that end up on the end of a rope in the yard or worse. Sounds like your dog was one of the lucky ones.

I hope the sting goes away for you soon and is replaced by the many happy memories.
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
kemosabi45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kemosabi45 »

I'm so sorry for your loss,, I know how you feel and pray for all great memories..
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

My sincere condolences.

I do understand the "best buddy" part. Other than that, well, lets just say I presently have no words.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Thank you. I am feeling a little better each day. The wife and I talk about it and both are feeling better. We were both kinda surprised at our feelings - the strength of them... but he was a very special dog.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!