Richardson New Mexico.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Richardson New Mexico.

Post by winchester1886 »

Would any one be able to tell me where Richardson New Mexico was or is today, also Rosaka Lake or the Three Block Ranch. Thanks very much in advance.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Richardson New Mexico.

Post by Charles »

I checked the various maps of New Mexico and don't find a Richardson. Bill Richardson is the Governor of New Mexico. Rosaka Lake also didn't show up. I did fnd the old 1908 photo of the Three Block Cattle being held at Rosaka Lake. There may be such a place, but it is not significant enough to find it's way to a map, or it may have gone dry, or been renamed. The photo looks like many places in Eastern New Mexico.

I lived in New Mexico on two occasions and have never heard of any of the places you mentioned. Maybe somebody else can be of help to you.
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

Bill Richardson was my first thought as well. Is there any more info that you could add??
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
GSRASHER
Levergunner

Post by GSRASHER »

I've lived and traveled in New Mexico for 30 years and hadn't heard of any of those names. After poking around all my atlases for the state, and the internet, I found the following.

The Block ranch is in Lincoln County, and lies north of the current state highway 246 on the north side of the Capitan Mountains. There are nearby hills called Block and Block No. 1. Richardson canyon runs through the area, and there are several ponds and small lakes nearby.

The following link takes you to a photographers site with 82 high quality pictures of the ranch and the cowboys working in 1908-1909. Lake Rosaka is shown in many of these.

http://www.cartermuseum.org/collections ... =6&scat=25

Here some more info on the ranch:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/ttusw/00 ... 00104.html
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Didn't Pat Garrett work there for awhile?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

GSRASHER wrote:I've lived and traveled in New Mexico for 30 years and hadn't heard of any of those names. After poking around all my atlases for the state, and the internet, I found the following.

The Block ranch is in Lincoln County, and lies north of the current state highway 246 on the north side of the Capitan Mountains. There are nearby hills called Block and Block No. 1. Richardson canyon runs through the area, and there are several ponds and small lakes nearby.

The following link takes you to a photographers site with 82 high quality pictures of the ranch and the cowboys working in 1908-1909. Lake Rosaka is shown in many of these.

http://www.cartermuseum.org/collections ... =6&scat=25

Here some more info on the ranch:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/ttusw/00 ... 00104.html
I see the caption on one of the photos (I didn't look at them all) mentions Richardson, NM as being close by...

Interesting the knowledge on this forum... :D
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

Thanks Boy's for all the info, I am addicted to old Ranches and spend hours on the Carter Museum site looking at all the Erwin E Smith pictures and any other site I can find with old Cowboy pictures or articles.
I research every old ranch I can find and it is so good when you find one that is still operating today, Like the J A Ranch in Palo Duro Canyon in the Texas Panhandle and still owned and operated by the desendants of John Adair the original owner who was in partnership with Charlie Goodnight, now that's history for you.
Was looking up the Aztec Land & Cattle Co the "Hashknife Brand" over in Arizona, depending where you look they had between one and two million acres there, and were having lots of rustler trouble so they hired Burt Mossman in 1898 to fix the problem, he sacked 52 of the 84 cowboys working there, this is the same Burt Mossman that started the Arizona Rangers (1901-1909) and now part of the old Hashknife range is now part of the Babbitt Ranch outfit's range. I think ya's all know of them.
I see also that the Bell Ranch over near Tucumcari is for sale, so I am saving for that it's only 99 million USD's so I'll have that saved up real soon, that's another real old historic ranch that goes back to a Spanish Land Grant.
If I am ever lucky enough to get to America I sure am going to have a hell of a good time looking up all these old places, but for now it's off to get the map of New Mexico and find where that Three Block Ranch was. Thank's again for the info.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

If it is in Lincoln County, that is the ajacent county to me, I will ask some of the old timers & get back to you.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Bear in mind, at the time of the Lincoln County Wars and later, Lincoln County took in the entire SW 1/4 of New Mexico. The Lincoln County of today is a fraction of what it once was. Mesilla, which is now in Dona Anna county was the county seat of Lincoln County when Billy the Kid was raising hell.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

From digging around on the 'net, it appears that the Richardson family immigrated from Ohio in the 1880's to New Mexico and founded the El Capitan Cattle Company, which became the Block Ranch. It was and still is located around El Capitan Mountain near Riudoso, N.M. So my guess is that is probably where "Richardson, N.M." was ( http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&cl ... 274&li=lmd )

You can buy over 50,000 acres of the ranch that is being offered for sale at $395 an acre: http://www.blockranch.com/ How about 500 of us go in together and divvy up 100 acres each :)

I spent a few weeks traveling around that area of N.M. several years ago and fell in love with it.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

66GTO wrote:
......I spent a few weeks traveling around that area of N.M. several years ago and fell in love with it.
My wife and I have been going there for SASS events and it has the same effect on us. At this point we plan on moving there some day. Not sure when just yet, but it may happen sooner than later.
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

From a resident of the area,
Let me say,
SHOOTERS WELCOME
bcp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcp »

66GTO wrote:From digging around on the 'net, it appears that the Richardson family immigrated from Ohio in the 1880's to New Mexico and founded the El Capitan Cattle Company, which became the Block Ranch. It was and still is located around El Capitan Mountain near Riudoso, N.M. So my guess is that is probably where "Richardson, N.M." was ( http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&cl ... 274&li=lmd )

You can buy over 50,000 acres of the ranch that is being offered for sale at $395 an acre: http://www.blockranch.com/ How about 500 of us go in together and divvy up 100 acres each :)

I spent a few weeks traveling around that area of N.M. several years ago and fell in love with it.
Same area as above, showing Block Ranch, Richardson Canyon, and what appears to be several un-named seasonal lakes in the area.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=33.70410,-10 ... -114.62361

Bruce