OT - cannons

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT - cannons

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Any of you levergunners out there also cannon fans - and owners?

I have always wanted one. Something small that I can (a) legally own and (b) use to fire off a salute now and again.

I've also thought about making a golf-ball mortar.

Has anyone ever done this? :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: OT - cannons

Post by AJMD429 »

I'll bet there are some websites dedicated to the hobby. I think South Bend IN is or was home to a modern cannon factory which made many for civilian/hobby use.

When those Civil War re-enacters around here touch off the 4" cannons with BLANKS it still is awesome!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Every Independence Day they touch off the cannon in Confederate Park here in the small town I live in. One year instead of just shooting off a blank charge, they loaded some candy into it. The kids went wild, but I think the insurance company for the city probably melted down, and they didn't do it again. darn lawyers ruin everything! :evil:
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there Kid - This is a site I've been drooling over for years. I think it's in your neck of the woods too. If you've got a few extra bucks would you get me the smaller Parrott gun. I'll let you shoot it!! Hope this helps (one step closer to a divorce??). Best regards. Wind

http://www.steencannons.com/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wind wrote:Hey there Kid - This is a site I've been drooling over for years. I think it's in your neck of the woods too. If you've got a few extra bucks would you get me the smaller Parrott gun. I'll let you shoot it!! Hope this helps (one step closer to a divorce??). Best regards. Wind

http://www.steencannons.com/
Thanks Wind! I'll tell Mrs. YK you gave me the site. She may come looking for you! :wink:
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey Kid - Here's some of the six pounders I had on a schooner I skippered back in the 90's. They work great on those pesky jet skiers. You'll need to increase your powder budget too (providing getting a cannon doesn't result in a divorce!!). Hopefully more help (enabling), Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

dixie gun works carries cannon, and some good safety/instructions also.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wind wrote:Hey Kid - Here's some of the six pounders I had on a schooner I skippered back in the 90's. They work great on those pesky jet skiers. You'll need to increase your powder budget too (providing getting a cannon doesn't result in a divorce!!). Hopefully more help (enabling), Wind

Pesky jet skiers - I love it! Somali pirates would get a rude and well-deserved surprise as well!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Rude!!!???!!! When someone comes to rob and possibly murder you, is it not polite to fight back with superior firepower? Just asking.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

My brother and I carved out a couple 50 caliber versions of Wind's 6 pounders about 15 years ago. They were traded long ago, but it's not hard to make one, if you have access to a metal lathe. I figure we made about a nickle an hour for what we got for them. You used to be able to buy kits, a friend still has a civil war era replica that's scaled down to .50 he put together.

Another friend has a couple of the real things from the Civil War era. Lots of noise and lots of powder burned whenever you shoot them.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I certainly wish you'd posted this topic before the Great Confuser Crash of March '09!

I could have posted a couple of dozen links to cannon sites and dozens of photos! (I once gave a guy more than a dozen links just to places selling swivel guns. He was looking for a pair to put on his yatch.)

I am an absolute artillery freak! I've wanted a full-sized 12-pdr Napoleon, or a 12-pdr Mountain Howitzer since I was a kid! And I've been drooling over Krupp Model 1905 5 cm Mounain Guns since 1987.

FWIW, muzzle-loading cannon are pretty well treated the same as muzzle-loading rifles. There are very ffew restrictions other than price.

If you want something relatively small, you ought to consider a 1 1/2 or 2-pdr Swivel gun. Quality ranges from unfinished (you polish the tube and drill the touch-hols) to mirror finished, and prices range from around $150.00 to nearly $1,00.00.

These guns do not have nor are they designed to use wheeled carriages. These guns, often called "Murdering Pieces" were mounted on a ships bulwarks and used to repel boarders or clear the decks of an opponent prior to boarding. They generally weigh less than 200 pounds and many weigh less than 100 pounds. Even the heaviest can be carried by tow people. Swivel guns are mounted in a yoke that permits them tobe swung in a 360* arc and raised or depresssed to extreme angles. *Don't load it with a solid shot and aim it at low flying helicopters, they might return fire.

Some people mount Swivel Guns on their yatchs as saluting guns, but I'd say the wise boat owner also has a few tubes of 000 buckshot or 3/4" ball-bearings ready to discourage pirates. I've heard of some folks who mounted them on the railings of decks, docks or boathouses for saluting an general fun noise-making.

Do a Google Search for Swivel Guns and you ought to find plenty.

i don't remember the nme of the company, but there is one guy who makes a miniature cannon that shoots golf balls. Looks like it would be a real hoot to shoot, and it throws a golf ball a country mile.

Shooting cannon is like shooting a submachine guns. Both will put a jackass-eating-briars grin on your face.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Doc Hudson wrote: Shooting cannon is like shooting a submachine guns. Both will put a jackass-eating-briars grin on your face.
Lots of great info here Doc, but that last line was simply pricless!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Wind wrote:Hey Kid - Here's some of the six pounders I had on a schooner I skippered back in the 90's. They work great on those pesky jet skiers. You'll need to increase your powder budget too (providing getting a cannon doesn't result in a divorce!!). Hopefully more help (enabling), Wind
Now that is too cool.

I have to say that although I love sail, the main reason that I didn't go to the Coast Guard academy is that I couldn't see myself in the toprigging. I am scared to death of heights! I have rappelled and fast roped since though. Funny how you have to face your fears no matter how you try to escape them.

Ok, back on subject. We've got a 6-pounder on a rev-war carriage here in the shop. These things are HEAVY. A friend decided he wanted to reenact ACW artillery and got a 3" Ordnance Rifle. He then got a trailer big enough for the piece and the caisson, a new truck to pull it all, a powder magazine (and visit from the fire marshall) and some new friends who got together (for a short time) a 4-mule team to pull it all. They got a real good idea of the logistics needed to move one piece compared to modern day. It is a big deal to have one of these things.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I used to work at a bronze foundry. We made a mold of an old cannon, over 4 feet in legnth and about 10 inch outside diameter. We cast this in solid bronze. I dont remember how much it weighed, but it took a few of us to move it around. The man who commisioned the piece was going to bore it out and shoot it. I always wanted to see it completed, but never did.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

There was a really cool story complete with pictures on the new on hunting deer with a mountain howitzer. They roped of an area to keep other hunters out and loaded the piece with .69 cal round lead balls IIRC. In the end they showed the skinned deer with wounds. Try doing a search and see what you find.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

About fifteen years ago I acquired an ancient lathe and taught myself to use it by making a few miniature cannon. The smallest is .25, the largest just about 12 GA.

The one on the far left, when loaded with pyro RS and a patched wooden plug one caliber long would "bark" nicely. Loaded with a wooden "keg" (drilled out dowel with wood plugs in both ends) filled with pyro and trailing a firecracker fuse, would bark then offer a nice downrange report when the keg blew up.

Back then I built and flew RC planes, and we'd use the cannon as a "start" gun in the morning before commencing to fly during our annual giant scale RC show.
Certified gun nut
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My Dad and Uncle both made cannons from Dixie.

The Old Man has one that has a bore that fits a D cell battery perfectly. It's an
absolute BLAST! I'll have to get some pictures.

He used to get all "gassed up" and stuff it with what ever he could find and
blast a charge down river ( back when you could do those things).

My Uncle's has a mortar that he would fill the old frozen orange juice
contaniers with concrete and launch them out into Lake Erie.
I remember he almost bagged a Boston Whaler one day.
Boy that guy was mad! :D

making me think I have to get them out again :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Any of you levergunners out there also cannon fans - and owners?

I have always wanted one. Something small that I can (a) legally own and (b) use to fire off a salute now and again.

I've also thought about making a golf-ball mortar.

Has anyone ever done this? :D
I considered getting the golf ball and tennis ball shooting attachments for my guns, but wasn't willing to waste the money.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D One of the local 'smiths has an affection for the old Winchester 10 and 12 gauge blank cannons. He has a few...or more. I've seen them lit off. Pretty neat stuff and inexpensive compared to the Big Stuff. Thanks for reminding me, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have a small 50 caliber cannon I got from a Shootist here on the forum. I have been polishing it and finishing up a carriage for it in the machine shop. I will post pictures and a range report when I get it done.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rjohns94 wrote:I have a small 50 caliber cannon I got from a Shootist here on the forum. I have been polishing it and finishing up a carriage for it in the machine shop. I will post pictures and a range report when I get it done.
Sounds very cool. Looking forward to pictures! :D
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I do not know if this will interest you. I know a store that has a black one for sale. God Bless, 1886. http://www.thecannonstore.com/products.asp?lineID=W98
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

A friend into cannons (probably what got me going on this to begin with) sent me a link to one he just picked up - the tennis ball/soda pop can mortar.

http://blackpowder-cannons.com/services.htm

This has potential. A good small starting point - get Mrs. YK used to the idea!!! :wink:
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Those are neat. I have to save that link.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

It wasn't mine, but I served a few times on a crew that fired a full size 12 lb Napoleon. I was the guy who swabed out the bore with a wet mop to make certain there were no live sparks inside to touch off the next charge. We used powder charges and wadding for show, but also fired some solid and cannister shot will full charges out in the desert. It was a reporduction with a steel lined bronze barrel. I think it cost around 25K with carriage ready too roll and shoot.

Now boys, touching off a 12 lb Napoleon is a whole new level of shooting.