bolt mounted peep sight: Pic added

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

bolt mounted peep sight: Pic added

Post by lever-4-life »

I just picked up a 1907 vintage winchester model 1894 rifle that is cut for a bolt peep. Where can i find one and about how much will it cost me? I am not into the gun a whole lot and am willing to put a bit of cash into her.

Thanks, Derek
Last edited by lever-4-life on Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Break on through to the other side!!!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: bolt mounted peep sight

Post by Pete44ru »

Montana Vintage Arms (google them) makes a repro Winchester bolt peep, although I don't think it's on their website any longer;
and (IIRC) one of this forum's membership also makes a bolt peep clone - so a search here might give up his contact info.

RANisbet
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RANisbet »

I have seen original Winchester bolt peep sights sell on eBay for between $350 and $525, not too long ago. There are also one or two folks that have occasionally had them for sale through rifle forums like this one.
If you decide to buy one, you need to know that the Model 71 sight base has a different configuration than the one designed for a Model 64 and some of the others. The bases are not interchangable, but many of the other parts are identical.
You also should be aware that installing a bolt peep sight may require some fitting and usually requires the removal of the bolt to install. There is a possibility that a sight may be slightly oversized for your bolt or it may be slightly undersized and result in "wobble" if not properly fitted.
I have answered a variety of questions for folks about bolt peep sights and would be glad to answer any questions you have.
My knowledge is based on my having reverse engineered the Winchester bolt peep sights in order to make one for my own rifle. I borrowed sights from a couple of people to complete my efforts to create a set of design drawings covering all the parts.
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

Thanks for the info! I was afraid that it was not going to be an easy find :?, Oh well It will make a "fun" winter project.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

lever-4-life wrote:I just picked up a 1907 vintage winchester model 1894 rifle that is cut for a bolt peep.
What's most interesting about this is the timing. The 98A bolt peep didn't come around until the 30s, IIRC. I'll have to check my sight book. I would guess you have a Model 64 bolt in your rifle. Not that it matters, as long as it shoots :D :D
Chad
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

The rifle is different, half octagon/half round barrel, button mag, and that dove-tale in the bolt. I will post pics
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

lever-4-life wrote:The rifle is different...and that dove-tale in the bolt
:? :?:
Please do post pics. Doesn't sound like a 98A bolt peep if it's dovetailed.
Chad
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The bolt is milled for the 98A, not "dovetailed". If your bolt is cut for the 98A sight it should look like this. :) ImageImage
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
RANisbet
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RANisbet »

Very interesting that you have a dovetail in the bolt for the rear sight.
Just wondering what configuration sight you might use and what the elevation adjustment would be.
Does your rifle also have a dovetail cut into the barrel?
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

There is also a dovetail in the barrel, this is causing me to think that the bolt dovetail is the work of a gunsmith long ago. I got the rifle from a man who got it in the early 60's and he said the dovetail was there when he got it.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: bolt mounted peep sight: Pic added

Post by Pete44ru »

That bolt dovetail's definitely not factory.

If that was my rifle, I would still bolt peep it, AND make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, by filling the dovetail with a flat-topped filler blank (either bought or handmade), D/T'd in the center for either an XS Sights or Skinner Lo-Pro peep sight stem.

20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Here's one I modified to fit a 94 bolt.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

20cows wrote:Here's one I modified to fit a 94 bolt.
Lookin' good, 20 Cows. i'm trying to locate some form of post-64 94 action that will accept the lower tang with the two "rails". Probably what you have there, eh? :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

This was a Williams site base made for mounting on a round bolt-action barrel. I modified the radius of curvature with wet/dry sandpaper laid over the 94 bolt. I had a gunsmith drill and tap mounting holes behind the extractor.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

On the lower tang, any top-eject should (all the ones I've played with did). The rails can be removed from the sides of the tang and it will go with any receiver.

Maybe not first choice, but doable.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

20cows' Williams peep is even easier to dovetail mount.

I don't know that he used a WGRS peep, or if the WGRS is available with a dovetail adaptor "thingie" in it's underside, like the WGOS open sight - for which the WGOS base can be ordered from Williams w/o the open sight blade, AND with the WGRS peep blade substituted, for a total of around $35 IIRC.