african game hunting..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

african game hunting..

Post by n2t »

I am thinking of doing some african plains game hunting someday, and my gf was nice enough to buy me a .450 marlin. I plan on hanging around here a bit and reading up on some safari stories. But just a few questions if I may? Mainly how does one go about exporting meat? I can't imagine shooting all these bovines they have available (blue wilderbeast), and not being able to enjoy some of the meat as table fare while back home. Anyone with stories, info, etc feel free to share.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I am not an expert having only been to Africa once, but I have checked a few places. Depending on where you hunt, quite often the meat is - by law - designated for the local populace.

Africa is protein-starved in many places. The meat is often requred to be given to the people.

The safari we went on (Leverguns 2007 on the front page of the site) we ate some of the meat from the game we took every evening. The rest went to the trackers and the processor.

The requirements just getting the trophies home is pretty stiff. I don't know what all would be required to get the meat home. From some places I imagine pretty nigh impossible.
maddog
Levergunner

Post by maddog »

Well, I'm going to south africa, with my son, in July for a plains game hunt. I am taking my .45-70 GG and handloaded 300 gr. noslers as my only gun.

To answer your question, no you cannot export the meat. However, In most camps, you will eat game at almost every meal. Do some searching here on the levergunners safaris. I would have considered hooking up with them, but their timeline wouldn't fit my son an my work schedule. Chris Troskie was on my short list, but finally decided on the following.

www.cruisersafaris.com/

I researched for the last 3 yrs., before coming up with them. When comparing Africa to a lot of guided big game hunts in N. America, I think Africa is a bigger bang for the buck. What makes africa expensive, is the airfare[I just paid mine :shock: ], and what trophies you have shipped back. We will be gone for 2 wks., and the hunt is 10 full days. The species in the pkg. include, kudu, gemsbok, impala,warthog,blue wildebeast, and blesbok. May trade the gemsbok for a zebra. The actual hunt, including taxes is $5,100 all in. However its the airline/trophy thing that can dbl. the price.

Start googling up outfits in RSA/Namibia, and see what they have to offer. Make a list of what you want to hunt, and see what fits. You might even check out accurate reloading.com, because they have a wealth of african info over there. Be aware, that some of their posters are pretty full of themselves, but the info is worth it. Inside joke, don't post that you are going to africa with a leveraction rifle :mrgreen:

Anyway, the planning is half the fun. I have 6 mos. to go. Good luck!

maddog
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

The one thing, okay, the second thing other than the high price, I don't like about going to Africa to hunt is the instability. Kenya is about to implode and I wouldn't want to be even close to a country that was about to lose it's controllability. And, it seems they all have teetered on civil unrest or out and out civil war in the last 20 years. It wasn't that long ago that South Africa went through it's transformation and I consider them probably one of the most stable of the African countries.

I'd love to go but I like how my head sits on my shoulders as it is.
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

n2t, Welcome to the Forum.

Maddog, make sure you post some pics and story of your hunt.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bramble
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bramble »

Kimwcook

I have never read of a hunter being lost to that form of instability. You would have far more chance of being killed by an animal. Your outfitter is not going to let you wander around a dangerous urban area.

Go if you can you will love it.

Regards
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bramble wrote:Kimwcook

I have never read of a hunter being lost to that form of instability. You would have far more chance of being killed by an animal. Your outfitter is not going to let you wander around a dangerous urban area.

Go if you can you will love it.

Regards
As Bramble has said, that is not really a serious problem with hunters. Several on this Forum have hunted in extremely unstable countries, one just this last year.
maddog
Levergunner

Post by maddog »

kimwcook, do you realize that we are talking2000 miles south? Its like saying that there are riots in LA., and you live in Indiana.

maddog
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Because of foot and mouth disease so prevalent in Africa, you would never get meat through customs.
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

Ty for the replies I guess it's the meat hunter mentality I was raised with that makes me ask. Trophies are ok but it's the exotic table fare that I was thinking about (I'm also a cook). However since the real thrill is in the adventure and the exotic location I am just starting to do the research. It will probably be a few years before I can go, and I would want that much time taking black bear, elk etc with the 450 to learn and get comfortable with it in field conditions. If two hunters (gf and I) wished to go would havig 15k or so saved up be a reasonable amount or am I looking at a segnificantly higher fee all told?
Fungus Sam
Shootist

Post by Fungus Sam »

n2t, you asked if $15K would take the two of you. My wife went with me on this years levergun safari. So far we've spent a little over $11K total, which includes several side trips that were organized for the women. This also includes trophy fees for three head of game.

U.S. Customs prohibits importation of meat, even canned meat I think, and all animal parts unless they have been commercially sterilized. As Jim said, the meat is never wasted. I was impressed with the slaughter houses we found on each facility. Concrete buildings, running water, refrigeration, salting tables for hides and heads, and experienced crews.

Hope this helps. Keeping planning. That's part of the fun. Tom
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

Will do. Now I just have to find some good loads for this 450 marlin and see what it will do. My first non boltgun hunting rifle this should be interesting.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

There's always fair chase exotics in Texas, Florida. Hawaii, as well as many other states if you need to warm up, and also YOU CAN HAVE YOUR GAME AND EAT IT TOO. :D
Last edited by GANJIRO on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

We still have openings on our Africa trip in May. I can answer any questions.

Joe @ (516) 804-9750
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

I don't think I will be going in may. I am set to deploy around then sometime and they tend to frown on you leaving the country right before such things.
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

We have trophy hunters and meat hunters. In general the trophy hunters are foreigners -- I mean, some locals do hunt some trophies but it gets expensive. The majority of local hunters are meat hunters, "biltong hunters".

Although it's easier, you don't *have* to get yourself set up with a safari outfitter and go after trophies (which, incidentally, tend to not be the best eating and normally you grab the fillet & liver & whatever and leave the rest to the locals). You can also befriend people here, come over for longer, do meat hunts, take all the meat "home" to where your friend lives, and spend the next few weeks consuming your kudu or whatever.

Just depends on what you want to do. I suspect you can save enough on not transporting and processing trophies to extend your stay here by two months at least.
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

Good info, and thanks a bunch. I've now been researching the 450 and coming up fairly empty for load data. I have some leads on benchmark and acurate 2700 for 405 grain cast loads at 1600fps which is what I would prefur to shoot for large/med game from this gun, and a few trialboss loads for coyote/practice rounds there is VERY little on this cartrige round I am finding. Other than that I have been involved in my other african endevor, breeding my small group of kenyan sand boas.
Bramble
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bramble »

I have just come back after my 2nd trip.

With the greatest of respect 405 cast at 1600 fps maybe going to leave you chasing large game (Kudu, Zebra, Eland, Waterbuck, Wildebeast etc) to hell and gone. Ftlbs arnt the only answer but at 1600 fps that is only 2300 ftlbs or so, not enough IMHO with a solid bullet.
If that rifle is open sighted (as is mine) Then you need a stopper as the second shot if it runs off will be at 100+ yards in heavy cover.

IMHO You need an expanding bullet of that caliber going as close to 2000fps as you can get it.

I have just had a conversation with a PH last week of a Wildebeast taking 17 yes 17 hits with a .308 to stop it.

Having to poke countless holes in a creature will ruin you hunting experience for you.

You may be interested in this:
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat ... w=1#UNREAD

Regards