OT: Reasons to Carry 24/7

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ridgerunner
Levergunner 2.0

OT: Reasons to Carry 24/7

Post by Ridgerunner »

As if we needed more substantiation:

Jury considers death penalty in Tenn. slayings

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- The jury that convicted a man of murder in the brutal carjacking, rape and murder of a young Tennessee couple will be asked to decide if he should live or die.

The six men and six women on the jury decided Tuesday in Knoxville that Letalvis Cobbins was guilty of 33 of 38 counts in the 2007 carjacking slayings of 21-year-old Channon Christian and her 23-year-old boyfriend Christopher Newsom. The jury returns Wednesday for the sentencing phase of Cobbins' trial.

The jury said the 26-year-old Lebanon, Ky., man facilitated Newsom's death, but was guilty of first-degree murder and felony murder in Christian's death - which can carry the death penalty.

Christian's parents are expected to testify. Cobbins has three co-defendants who will be tried later.
Confederately yours,

Ridgerunner
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Reasons to Carry 24/7

Post by brucew44guns »

A few years ago near Abilene, Ks., 3 thugs on the run from the law ran out of gas on a county road out in the country, and began walking to the nearest house on that road. The people were not at home so they broke in to the house and ransacked the place just as the young couple returned home. They got the drop on the man, killed him, repeatedly raped the woman, even had sexual intercourse with her dead body, then stole thier car and left. Of course, they were caught, and tried for murder. The good people of Kansas will be feeding them for a long time yet as they got life in prison, the jury did not have the stomach or guts to grant the death penalty. Even the Judge was appalled at the jury, I think I recall that Kansas law had just returned to death sentences being constitutional. This case sure needed it's exercise. I hope Knoxville will be a little more hard nosed. One reason I like to have a rifle or revolver with me when Im out working on my place in the country.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Ridgerunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ridgerunner »

Just more of the wimpification of America. I'm sorry. I don't bother anyone; however, if they come to me, that is a different story. I didn't survive 3 decades in law enforcement to let some sociopathic scumbag hurt me or my wife. I have my stashed in or near all areas of the house. While we are lucky to live in a very rural part of a big city, amongst farm land and woods, a house not 1/2 mile from us on our street was home invaded and the son, thought to have drugs by the invaders, was killed and thrown down the steps in front of his mother.

My wife has her CHP and I have my LEO nationwide permit. I leave my AMEX card at home, but never the tools for resolving interpersonal conflicts in our favor....
Confederately yours,

Ridgerunner
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I work major crimes and I don't make friends of the guys I throw in prison for multiple years, but some of them eventually do get out and I wouldn't be able to live with myself if one of them killed a member of my family or a friend that's with me and I couldn't stop them. I live in the country and I have a piece with me if I'm working more than a few feet away from the house.
Old Law Dawg
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

A wee ago, a friend who has now I have a concealed carry permit for years professed surprise to discover that I carry 24/7, and asked the question, "Why?"

I said, "Chuck, you let me know exactly when I'll need it, and I'll limit my carrying to those times. Until you can do that with 100% accuracy, I'll carry all day, every day, thank you."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I get a little lazy in the summer, but yes: 24/7 is my good intentions. Absolutely in my car or on the scoot.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well now, 24/7? Nope, I don't carry in the shower. It's a bit difficult in the spa, not to mention hard on the bluing. Nah, I don't walk around the house strapped, I just lock the door. Now when I go out and about, or even just working in the yard or garage, yea. But I ain't ever gonna be allowed to to to bed strapped (brother if ever there was a lead in). :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Crooks don't take Sundays, holidays, or nights off, so we need to be constantly prepared.

I'll admit that I got a little slack for a while after ( moved back to Alabama, but that changed. We've had several prowler alerts in our neighborhood and someone attempted to break into my house in broad daylight. Since then, if I don't have a pocket for the Always gun, I wear a belt gun. IMHO, as with the late Finn Aagard, the very best place to stash a defensive handgun is on your belt or in a pocket.

BTW, nearly 20 years ago now, a family returned to their home from Sunday morning church services to their home in rural North Mississippi. They returned to find four intruders in their home. Coming from church, the man of the family was unarmed. he was quickly bound and forced to watch as his wife, two daughters and son were all repeatedly raped and murdered before his eyes before the intruder killed him.

That event marked the last time I went to church and left my gun at home.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Grief can come upon you at any time better be ready at any time. The meek will inherit the earth about 6 foot of it. danny
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Ridgerunner wrote:As if we needed more substantiation:

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- The jury that convicted a man of murder in the brutal carjacking, rape and murder of a young Tennessee couple will be asked to decide if he should live or die.

The six men and six women on the jury decided Tuesday in Knoxville that Letalvis Cobbins was guilty of 33 of 38 counts in the 2007 carjacking slayings of 21-year-old Channon Christian and her 23-year-old boyfriend Christopher Newsom. The jury returns Wednesday for the sentencing phase of Cobbins' trial.

The jury said the 26-year-old Lebanon, Ky., man facilitated Newsom's death, but was guilty of first-degree murder and felony murder in Christian's death - which can carry the death penalty.

Christian's parents are expected to testify. Cobbins has three co-defendants who will be tried later.
This case has really stuck with me since it happened. It was a horrific crime done over a number of hours. The assailants were black and the victims were a College age white couple. The MSM was very quiet about it, and no Civil Rights leaders were hopping up and down, calling for an investigation(big suprise). The animalistic nature of this new wave of thugs is a VERY good reason to stay armed at all times, if possible.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

C. Cash wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote:As if we needed more substantiation:

This case has really stuck with me since it happened. It was a horrific crime done over a number of hours. The assailants were black and the victims were a College age white couple. The MSM was very quiet about it, and no Civil Rights leaders were hopping up and down, calling for an investigation(big suprise). The animalistic nature of this new wave of thugs is a VERY good reason to stay armed at all times, if possible.
Doesn't fit the popular "narrative". We all know there is no such thing as black on white hate crime, only the reverse... :roll:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =4&t=20119
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I bet all the nay sayers, every one of them have life and auto insurance.I do too, but I also have assurance that I can stop a threat to my family friends or my church if needed. So yes, when ever I leave my door I am carrying.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

Carry a gun. Cops are too darned heavy.
Ridgerunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ridgerunner »

Rest assured, the FBI would be all over this if it was reversed and the criminals were white and the victims black. Al, Jesse and the NAACP would be marching in the streets. If you look, there are more and more cases like this. May I suggest "SOMETHING OF VALUE" by Robert Ruark, traces the MAU MAU uprising in KENYA ( 0f all places!). Numerous atrocities commited on the white farmers and blacks who would not take their incredibally filthy "oaths". Especially in this day and age, it bears reading.

I don't carry IN the shower, but there is one in arm's reach of me. That's why they make combat tupperware and stainless finishes. I would hope 11 .45 acp JHP or 15 9MM +P+ JHP would allow me to clear a path to my long guns. BTW, night sights pinpoint the location of the weapon on the nightstand, with the high intensity flashlight beside them.

I have seen the brutality of the thug many times. As with the terrorists, they only have to be lucky once. We should be prepared at all times. Being paranoid does not mean there isn't someone out to get you....
Confederately yours,

Ridgerunner
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

There's a difference between being paranoid and having a healthy vigilence.
Old Law Dawg
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Waiting on my Arkansas CHCL approval now. Wife already got hers, so right now I have to be satisfied just being in the hands of a very competent "bodyguard. Am looking forward to being able to look after myself though!

And, make no mistake, I will be 24/7, with those few previously mentioned exceptions. However, while on the place I'm never out of the house without packing. Might run into a serpent, or a varmint, or something. :shock:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.