Just Finished CCW Class in CA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Just Finished CCW Class in CA

Post by CowboyTutt »

The class was taught by two men who have a great deal of experience. One was a retired CHP officer and competitive shooter and coach, the other is a judge who also trained under Jeff Cooper. What was interesting to me is that some elements of defensive shooting run counter to target shooting. You DO NOT WANT tiny groups. You want a spread of about "minute of chest" to do as much damage as possible. A small group only damages the same tissue over and over.

Other things I learned is that a CCW DOES allow you to carry on school grounds. However, if the school does not allow you too, then no. If the school district has no policy on guns, then perhaps it is better to be forgiven than to ask permission in this case, but that is a personal choice.

The same goes for notifying an officer if you are pulled over for a traffic violation. If you tell the officer, he has the right to search you, your whole car and detain you until he confirms your permit. You can in effect be treated like a criminal. If your pistol is out of sight of the officer and not relevant to the situation (i.e. the ticket) you will have to make your own choice as whether to tell him.

Your permit is void if you are drinking any sort of alcoholic beverage or taking a medication that impairs you. You cannot carry in a business whose primary purpose is the sale of adult beverages (ie bars) but a family resteraunt that also serves beer and wine is OK.

I think what was the most valuable to me was how to load/unload/un-jam my firearm and rapid fire in a combat situation as well as practicing firing double action with my revolver which is something I do not usually do. I also finally "got" the "push-pull" thing regarding grip.

I ended up qualifying with two guns which will be listed on my permit some day. My Kimber 1911 in 10mm and my S&W 460 snubbie. Neither is ideal for concealed carry but my primary purpose is just so I can carry a loaded gun in the car when camping or when touring on my motorycle and be legal.

There is a great deal of grey area when it comes to the transportation of firearms in CA. This should help to clean that up for me.

Finally, the video of Col. Cooper lecturing on his "color coding" system of awareness was absolutely brilliant. I did 10 years of martial arts at one time in my life, and what he said on the subject was profound and said better than I have ever heard it before. What a man he was.

If you get the opportunity to do a class, you should go just for fun and education even if you cannot have a permit in your county. I liked these men so much I'm going to join the gun club just for what I can learn from them in the future, and for the company.

Anyhow, I just thought I would share some of what I learned. Any other insights you all have would be valuable to me as well.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Just Finished CCW Class in CA

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Glad to hear it. More people need to take advantage of the right!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I usually enjoy the time I spend in the mandatory classes whenever my TX CHL comes up for renewal. Lots of interesting discussion among persons of the same general level of experience and concern.

I'd like to take a class one day with someone who is truly experienced and knowledgable rather than just some guy who is licensed to teach a class and sign the paperwork.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I'd like to take a class one day with someone who is truly experienced and knowledgable rather than just some guy who is licensed to teach a class and sign the paperwork.
I think I was pretty lucky with these guys too! 8) They gave some good demonstrations of how to shoot in unsual situations like when your shooting arm is incapacitated and we practiced some of them. They also demonstrated how devastating bird shot is out of a shotgun at very close range. It makes a "rat hole" because its about that size. The shot also does not over penetrate. Anyhow, I'm sure this is stuff you already know, FW but I found it interesting!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

where in kalifornia are you? they wont issue them in san diego county. seems nobody has good cause down here.
g rice
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Gary, I'm in Mendocino County. Sonoma County will not give you a permit either. Part of the reason I wanted to live up here is because the Sheriff is so gun friendly. -Tutt

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

The people I have had were buffons.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Thanks for the info. I have the advantage of being a LEO but to hear the rules for CCW where I am currently working makes it easier to not have problems. And I thought there was no place they could send me that was worse than Kabul.
It is not the critic who counts
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Tutt, glad you got your class from the right people, I know that means alot. Our local instructor is a friend of mine and really does a great job. The LEO that does the class with him now is a new man but I hear he is good at it. My grandson Jerry3 turned 21 on 08-04-09 and will take the class on 08-22-09, reckon he has decided on his Springfield G.I. .45 for the class.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Gun Runner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Gun Runner »

I just renewed my CCW last mo. in N. CA (nevada county). Old fred has been giving the class for a bunch of yrs. You have to listen to him for 3 1/2 hrs (with 2 brakes of 15 min) Then shoot for 30 min. I forgot my hearing aids and still knew evey thing he was saying and what he was gonna say and do.

Gun Runner
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good for you Andy! I applaud anyone doing this, but an extra measure goes to you fellas in gun "unfriendly" states. I know - a large part of CA still has common sense, but another very loud and obnoxious part doesn't. Like that in many states.

In both NC when I live there and now in SC I ended up practically helping to teach the class. It was a lot of fun. Especially the last time in SC. A young lady was there, having had to get a protective order issued against a former boyfriend. After the instructor found out my background, we both just focused on helping her. Felt like "good deed" time! :D
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

YK, we had a physically handicapped woman with a deformed right arm/hand. She has been the victim of some violence in her life. Shooting her little Rossi DA revolver was not easy for her because the action/trigger was so poor. But all the instructors and asst. instructors really wanted her to qualify this time and not have to wait longer than she had too. They gave her a lot of personal instruction and help and she finally qualified at the end of the day. As you said, it was cool how everyone came to this lady's aid. Good group of guys. 8)

-Tutt

71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Very nice to hear some good new out of CA. I would love to get one down here but apparently the Sheriffs have different viewpoints regarding CCW, as GR alluded to. I've considered just taking the class anyway for the education and training, and your experience has put me closer to that.

Good for you!
Chad
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

My wife's class was very good.
They also taught the two-to-center-mass with the addition of a third slower shot to the face triangle.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Good for you Tutt. Living in Sacramento county means no CCW for me. I hope to change that in the next few years as the Mrs and I look to leave this county and find some property in another county far from the urban sprawl of the valley.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

Great report. Keep us posted as to how it goes from here. I used to live in California and I couldn't wait to get out. Since leaving I have permits in New Mexico and Utah. I have moved from New Mexico so that permit is probably void. I think I have read about the judge you are speaking of.

I knew several people in California who had permits but they were all politically connected in some way. Most were attorneys but one was a realtor, he just happened to be a poker buddy of the county sheriff. I am surprised there hasn't been more litigation over the blanket denial of permits in most of California. When a public official is given discretion they must exercise it. Refusing all permits is an abuse of discretion. Perhaps someday a victim of a violent crime who has been turned down for a permit will sue and teach those public servants a lesson.

Seeing you are from Mendicino you might know a long lost friend of mine. His name is Patrick S. he is a boat builder and fine wood worker. He was a sniper in Vietnam. The last I heard he was working for a model company making proto type gliders. Patrick was a good friend and I really feel bad about loosing touch with him. I know it is a long shot but I thought I would ask.

Dave
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Dave, can't say I know him or have heard of him. Yes, I'm pretty lucky to be here in Mendo County. I'm already looking at concealed carry methods for my 1911. I have found a shirt variety that would work and are custom fit.

-Tutt

BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

I knew it was a longshot but I thought I would try. I have a lot of fond memories of Mendo county. I used to camp along the Navarro and on Big River as well as on the beaches. Some friends had a place at Sea Ranch but I think I liked camping better. Fun times.

Dave
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

CowboyTutt wrote:YK, we had a physically handicapped woman with a deformed right arm/hand. She has been the victim of some violence in her life. Shooting her little Rossi DA revolver was not easy for her because the action/trigger was so poor. But all the instructors and asst. instructors really wanted her to qualify this time and not have to wait longer than she had too. They gave her a lot of personal instruction and help and she finally qualified at the end of the day. As you said, it was cool how everyone came to this lady's aid. Good group of guys. 8)

-Tutt
Excellent Andy! Get your permit and get to help a deserving person get theirs at the same time. One of the best things about those of us who enjoy shooting in its many different aspects - there is simply no finer camaderie or folks!!! :D :D :D
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

When I started carrying I liked my 1911 tucked in an IWB at 10 oclock. However, that weight gets old and my J frame will slip right into a pants pocket and I almost forget that its there.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

CowboyTutt wrote:Gary, I'm in Mendocino County. Sonoma County will not give you a permit either. Part of the reason I wanted to live up here is because the Sheriff is so gun friendly. -Tutt
Well im glad you got it anyway. the best ive done is an arizona permit but i have a little land there and spend as much time as possible there. i was hoping the national recipricosity bill would pass but its not to be for now. that would have helped.
g rice