What I saw at the local gun shop

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

What I saw at the local gun shop

Post by Goat »

This week I got to go to the local gun pusher's place for the first time in a couple of months and he had things to show me. First was a 1906 Winchester '94 takedown in 30WCF with a 26" barrel. It had a tang sight that I assume was factory installed since the rear barrel mounted sight would fold down out of the way. The front sight was intresting also. It could be used as a post or it had a small ring that could be flipped up to surround the post to make a globe sight with a post inside it. It was a neat sight picture through the rear tang sight.
The second rifle was a Savage1899 in 303 Savage caliber. It sported a receiver sight like I had never seen. It was mounted to the side of the receiver and would slide up and down for elevation changes. I think I saw Lyman writen on it but do not remember for sure. I really do not know how to describe this sight. I think the front of the site remained stationary and the rear slid in a track. The front was a pivot point. I have done a poor job of trying to describe it but I bet some of you will be able to identify it. This rifle had a crescent steel buttplate and the wood was plain but solid with no cracks around the tang. I think it had a 26" barrel.
They were certainly neat and I am glad I got to handle them. I kept wishing they could talk. I wonder what kind of tales they could tell.
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What I saw at the local gun shop

Post by marlinman93 »

Sounds like the old "Climbin Lyman" sight on the Savage. Probably a 21 or 38 model.
Did it look like this one at Mewrz:
http://www.merzantique.com/photo.php?id=4287_0_2_0_M12
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Marlinman has it right, a Lyman "Cimbin' Lyman", a very rare sight if its coded right for a Savage. That folding down front sight is a "Beech's Sight" worth about $100-$150. --------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Goat »

MM93, That looks like the sight on the Savage I saw. Thanks for the info. Thanks Sixgun for the info on the front sight. Those guns are both out of my league but they were fun to handle.
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I woulda never left there, w/o the .30-30 takedown - one reason I try to stay outta gunshops, nowadays. :(

Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

Same here. Every time I tell my wife I am going to the gun store to look around she gives me that look .
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member