heavy bullets in 3030

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

heavy bullets in 3030

Post by two bit okie »

Does anyone have any idea what the heaviest bullets (cast) are for the 30-30. This is a question to go along with the 318 gr for my 44. I would never, (probably) go above the starting load, but the idea of a heavy bullet strikes my fancy.

I did see the 170 gr flat nose from lee, but wonder if there might be a 200 or 220 gr for 30-30.

I cannot walk to hunt any more due to bad knees, so all the hunting data is of no interest.

thanks for your input
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Re: heavy bullets in 3030

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

I have never seen anything over 170+ grain. I dont know if the 30-30 would gain anything with bullets heavier then that.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

The cast bullet shooters here use up to 200 grain for long range work.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Where can a soul get a box of 200 grain 30-30 ammo. I would like to try a few of those hard cast bullets and see what they do.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I believe you have to load them yourself.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Here you go! These are HARD & accurate.

http://www.laser-cast.com/trueshot.html
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Is their anyone on this forum that could load up about 20 round for me . I would pay of course.

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Be carefull guys, there are strict laws against manufacturing ammo for sale without a license. :o
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

jdad,

Have you tried their laser cast bullets and are they easy to reload with?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Tennessee Hayre wrote:Is their anyone on this forum that could load up about 20 round for me.
I don't know the 'going rates' but you basically pay for the components plus the labor, and you can get the components at about the same price as anyone else. Instead of paying for the labor, I'd get the Lee Classic Loader in the .30-30 for $ 21.99

Lee .30-30 Loader - http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=543039

That plus a mallet (I used an old broken hatchet handle) and you can reload small batches like that in just a few minutes. It's how I loaded my first several thousand .44 Magnum rounds. Actually kind of fun.

If you want more load flexibility the 'dipper set' helps too...$ 7.82
Dipper Set - http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=943305

(The dippers are cheap enough you can buy two sets and file the top down if you just have to have 'in between' load sizes - then you'd need to buy or borrow a reloading scale to check the weights thrown.)

So - for $29.81 you can truly get all the equipment you NEED to do basic reloading. 8) All the other racks and shelves and drawers full of stuff some of us accumulate mostly just makes it faster, which isn't an issue until you want to reload hundreds at a time and do it frequently.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

I have and do use 200+ grain cast bullets in the 30-30 cartridges. A few years back, the Cast Bullet Association who's news letter "The Fouling Shot" had a series of writings from a dedicated shooter, name of, Frank Marshal. He was an excellent writer and had been shooting for many years. He wrote of using the Lyman 311284 bullets which are a 220 grain with great effect on targets and game. An outfit called "Old West Bullet Moulds" made up a great bullet mould for him. It weighs in around 200 Grains, flat nosed. He called it BOWM bullet. The name stood for Bench Or Woods Marshall. He claimed to use H-4841, filling the case over a Large Rifle primer. Velocity was around 1800 to 1900 FPS. The 311284 bullet has a pointy nose,which he flattened for this purpose. It pentatrated deeply. One reason it was done to to duplicate the old .303 Savage 190grain bullets which were known for good deep pentatration. His claims were valid. The base of the bullet will protrude below the neck of a 30-30, but the 4831 acted as a filler and a buffer, when fired the powder was slow enough to get the bullet moving and protect the bases of the bullets. Works great for me. I should cast some more, its been a few years. Never had leading problems and it does make a great cartridge for close to moderate range. Good Luck.....
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

UncleBuck wrote:jdad,

Have you tried their laser cast bullets and are they easy to reload with?
I use the standard Laser Cast bullets for almost all my centerfire calibers, but I have have not used their more expensive True Shot.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I have never played with the over-170 gr. bullets in the .30-30, but I have thought about it. Indeed, if you good get a 200 up to the 1800-1900 fps range, you'd have something that just might get you good thump and excellent accuracy. A buddy loads his Krag carbine with a 220 gr. cast round-flat nose bullet at an even 2000 fps. The load/gun combination is sub-MOA accurate out to 300 yards, and it has performed quite impressively on deer out to almost that far -- no massive tissue damage, but a good hole somewhat over .30 caliber all the way through, from any angle. He's probably shout 40 or 50 deer with it through the years. All but 2 have been one-shot kills. Few ever went over 20 yards after being solidly hit, and none ever made it more than 50 yards. The key to this, of course, is hitting the right spot, but if the shooter is up to the task the rifle/load is more than up to it.

I agree that a Lee Loader is a great, inexpensive, non-committal way to try out reloading. Beyond that, it can turn out darned good ammo. I used one for a year when I first started, then "stepped' up as enthusiam grew and funds became available. I got lots of good equipment, cheap, by prowling yard sales and having a couple of reloading acquaintances get divorced and need money. (Hey, I hate to see anyone suffer, but they needed the money and I wanted the stuff!)
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

RCBS lists a "180" flat point that comes out between 185 and 190 in wheel weights that has worked very well for me and my friends. I believe the number is 82014. It would make a good hunting bullet, again, in a little softer material. They sure turn a rock chuck inside out :mrgreen:
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

No reason you need to stop with 200 grain. Why not even try 220 grains? I have some 30/40 ammo in 220. I dont know how practable it would be in 30/30 but there must be old books of loadings tried out in it somewhere.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Contact GAD Custom Loading. They can custom load you whatever you want, and nobody has to stick their neck out and reload them.
http://www.gadcustomcartridges.com/
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

My buddy has given me two different bullets (they actually look identical) using Lee's C309-200-R and Lee's C312-185-1R moulds. On each of these he ran a 3/16" end mill into the "point" of the mould to make flat nose bullets out them, I gas checked them and sized them both to .310", they weighed in at 211gr and 199grs respectively. I've loaded about fifty of each with 28 grains of H4895, just haven't got around to firing them yet.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Sounds interesting. I've got a single shot 30-30 (Handi Rifle) that I want to try some heavy bullets in. Saeco makes a .30 cal 180 gr. Flat Point Gas Check mold that I'd like to try if I can find load data for it.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

marlinman93 wrote:Contact GAD Custom Loading. They can custom load you whatever you want, and nobody has to stick their neck out and reload them.
http://www.gadcustomcartridges.com/
Man, that 8 Gauge looks kinda painful! :shock:

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.