new 1894c fun @ the range

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
_n4z_
Levergunner

new 1894c fun @ the range

Post by _n4z_ »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Took my latest acquisition out for a little plinking after work Friday.

Sun was on it's way down and it was still pushing 100deg F. so I didn't stay long.

It's a .357mag and I was shooting handloads to set my new Skinner peeps.

Speer 158gr SP over 14.6gr 2400, remmy brass, Winny standard small pistol primers.

After I got it hitting where I wanted I popped 5 shots at my homemade gong. All hit in the same spot @ 50 yards, standing with my front hand on a sandbag. That particular lane at the range has a very tall table. The hits show up on the paint in the pic below.

I was so happy with those results I went ahead and jumped from my gong at 50 yards, to the range gong at 200 yards. First two appeared low, so I shifted to a high 12 o'clock hold (it's an 18" gong @ 200 yard), and the next 7 rounds made that chunk of steel ring.

Much fun for a short trip. And a big thumbs up for the Skinner peep.

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Re: new 1894c fun @ the range

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Sounds fun! Friday was definately a hot one. My daughter and I had our bows out and shot for about 30 min. When we hung up the bows I had sweat rolling down my face and shirt was totally soaked. I hope to find me a good buy on an 1894 in .357 one day, I love the one I have in .44.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

:D
Last edited by Nobody on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sweet! 8) Thanks for sharing and congratulations on a winner!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nifty Carbine!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's just the pair of .357 Mag 'popguns' you need, Arkansas Bob...! (Puma 92 & Blackhawk)

Or, if you don't like .357's, these .45's... (the Puma 92 is a .454 Casull & the Redhawk is a .45 Colt)

Or, if you don't like Puma's, these .44 Mags... (Marlin 1894 and Super Blackhawk)

Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

:D
Last edited by Nobody on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The one of all those I'd 'give up' last would be the Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag. (Actually, I already DID 'give up' that one...I told my 13 year old if he got a deer with it he could have it - but then got a STAINLESS one to replace it... :wink: )

The Marlin 1894's in .44 Mag are handy, powerful, and flatten whitetails like hammers.

I like the Puma's, and the .357 is SO cheap to shoot cast bullets in, and help train novices, and just plain FUN to shoot; the .454 Puma IS powerful ("approaches a .45-70" according to some), but I don't use full-throttle loads in it for fear of peening the bolt and locking lugs, and nothing around here won't fall flat to 350 grains of lead at 1,200 fps, so I don't need 'hot' loads.

As far as the handguns, I really like the old Super Blackhawk, even though that square trigger guard hits my fat knuckles every time. It's just FUN to shoot.

If I needed the FULL power-potential of the .454 Casull, I'd either be in Grizzly country, or intentionally hunting something weighing over 500 pounds, in which case, I'd have a full sized RIFLE instead of a carbine, and in .444 Marlin, .45-70, .500 S&W, or 12 gauge.

I just don't encounter things that don't flatten with 240 grains at 1700 fps. If I really had to shoot 300 grains or more and still wanted a 'carbine' more easily scopeable than the Puma, I'd use my Ruger .44 Mag since it has the 1:20 twist supposedly needed for the longer .44 bullets... (I like it anyway due to the detachable magazine and very short lever throw, even though it looks 'funny' to some.)

"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

P.S. Sorry about hijacking off into .44-land....maybe me & Arkansas Bob should start a new 'pop-gun' thread... :oops:

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Nice rifle Steve, Very Nice!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

This is a super accurate shooter and very flat shooting also .

Image..Image
Image......Image
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Great looking Marlin!!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are