Help needed identifing winchester?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Help needed identifing winchester?

Post by cutter »

I looked a Winchester 30-30 today, but when I got home to price check it , I forgot what model it was.

Can you help me with this description?

It was a '94, had engraving on both sides of the reciever, saddle ring, octogon barrel maybe 26 inches long? It had a blued finish, very fine wood which appeared to be maple. The loading gate was gold colored. It had no safety. It appeared to be a newer rifle. It had a name written on the barrel, but I can't remember what it said.

I was in a hurry when I looked at it.

Any ideas on the model, or value?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

It sounds like the Classic or Antique. Both are 1960s vintage. Or it could have been a commemorative of some sort.

If it was a 30-30 it was a 94. If it was an octagon rifle it was not your run of the mill 94.

Without more info I got no more ideas.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Both the Antique and Classic had case colored receivers. Several commemoratives had engraving (usually scroll) on blued receivers and octagon barrels. The devil is in the details. :P

IIRC, the Classic didn't have a saddle ring. Here's a listing of the high points of almost all commemoratives. Then here's a partial listing with some photographs.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The Classics & the Buffalo Bill both had black chomed receivers that looked like a highly polished blue-black, roll scroll engraving and the Bill, like most commemoratives (not all), had a medallion imbedded in the side of the buttstock.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Canadian Centennial? There is one for sale on the classifieds. Check it out maybe that is your gun. 1886.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

It looked like a hybrid of these two rifles. It had the fore stock and wood coloration of the top rifle, but the butt stock of the lower rifle. The moose was not gold colored but the loading gate was. It had the same sights and barrel as the lower rifle. The ony other diffrence was that it had a saddle ring.

Does this help? They were asking 425 for the rifle. If you had to guess , would that be reasonable?

Gosh, I wish I'd took a picture. If I post a pic next week, would that help?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I have an antique and it doesn't have an octagon bbl.
Old Law Dawg
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

$425 ! ! :shock: Are you crazy? Why are you still here, talking about it ? :roll:

Where's this at ? :wink:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'm with Pete, you need to be posting pictures of that new rifle you just bought. Git'er done, pilgrim.
Old Law Dawg
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

COULD IT BE A CENTENNIAL
LIKE THIS ONE?
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=88833232
IF IT IS.........GO BACK AND GET IT
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

Guess I'm in for a road trip next week...

I need to learn up on these 94's. I had no idea there were so many variations.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'd love to have a Centennial. Those half round/half octagon bbl.'s look really neat. Plus it being a rifle.
Old Law Dawg
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

Sorry to ressurect an old topic.
I'm going to pass on this rifle as another , more desireable gun, has come to my attention. If anyone wants contact info for this gun, let me know, I'll look it up.