One last scope question ... till next time.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

One last scope question ... till next time.

Post by J Miller »

Got my extended base on and the scope set back so it's much more comfortable for me to shoulder and sight with.

Now, since it's a 3-9 variable, when I adjust the focus do I just aim at 100 yds set the focus and leave it, or will I need to adjust the focus for each power setting?

Like I said, I'm not used to optical sighting devices.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Usually focus once and good to go at any setting. That has been my experience anyway, I don't have a lot of scopes (2) but seems ok for me. Just my .02 canadian
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Should be good at all settings.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

Joe
Be sure to do your focusing using the "sky view"technique.
If you focus looking at a target you may need to redo as viewing conditions change.
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

As Pepe said, focus on infinity - the clear sky.

Do you know how to, properly ?

You don't look through the scope and adjust the focus ring. That will give you a false return.

You briefly look through the scope, and take care to notice how sharp the reticle appears against the sky, for that brief moment.
If you take any longer than the briefest peek, your eye will unconsiously refocus to whatever the scope's setting is.

If the reticle appears blurry during that brief peek, then run the focus ring either in or out a turn or two, and try it again.

Repeat as required, until the reticle appears dark and crisp against the background/sky.
pokynojoe
Levergunner

Post by pokynojoe »

If your unfamiliar with optics you might want to see if your local library has a copy of "Optics for the Hunter" by John Barsness. A very good primer, and well worth the cost if you're required to purchase it.

Regards
Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Thanks for info here. No I didn't know about looking at the sky. And I'll see what I can do about that book.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

When you get the reticle into focus ( must be sharp )
now look at a fixed object ( rifle steady or in a rest )
Now shake your head slightly , left to right; up and down
Is the reticle steady or does it move with your head?
If it moves, your paralex is not set properly, this is a fine adjustment technique
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

mescalero - Joe's scope is most likely not user adjustable for parallax, as are the larger, more expensive target/varmint scopes.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

There is a " trick " it can still be done
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

mescalero1,

When I get this rifle to the range and get it shooting I'll get back with you.

I don't have a clear location in this area to use the sky for focus. All my views are obscured by windows. Were I to go outside and try this I'd have every swat cop for miles here. So I'm having to wait for the range day.

Joe
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Joe, You can use a white painted wall. As long as there is nothing there for your eye to try to focus on. You should be looking at the cross hairs only. :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Chuck,

I'll see what I can find. This is a small house and it's panneled all over. Not white but light gray tan with grain in it.

Finding a solid white area may be problematic.

Joe
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Hang a sheet.
:)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Were I to go outside and try this I'd have every swat cop for miles here.]

Heh, heh - I boresight rifles quite often, off my house's rear deck, using a neighbor's house. The corner of one of their black shutters, against the white painted house, makes it a snap.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Joe,
let me know, I think I can help, at least I'm willing to try
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

pete 44ru
That is a PERFECT venue; gives the right angles you need for this
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

J Miller wrote:mescalero1,

Were I to go outside and try this I'd have every swat cop for miles here.

Joe
It's good for them. Teaches them to not be so stupid.

I had a dogcatcher show up on my porch once, when I happened to be carrying an armload of gunbelts out to the truck. I saw his face flash in the window, then heard him talking, "muy rapido" into his radio about needing backup. What an idiot. Backup for what? Citizen in own home in possession of gun accessories? Hell, I wouldn't even need a lawyer for that one! Anyway, I went outside to talk to him, and get him to quit peeing himself on my porch, then sent him on his way.
About 20 minutes later, I noticed that the paper he gave me had someone else's name on it. So, (being in a small town) I called dispatch, and had them send him back. He was taking forever, so by the time he got back, I was involved in a project...... Working on a shotgun. He didn't wet himself that time, and we've met a few times since. I've even caught some dogs for him. I make it a point to carry around him at every opportunity. At this point, I could probably walk into his front room packin'.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

It's good for them. Teaches them to not be so stupid.
You ever heard the saying: "Shoot first, ask questions later." Well, this is anti-gun IL and that is their moto. Nothing teaches them not to be so stupid in this place. The citizen gun owner has to be smarter to keep from getting shot.
I think I'll stop now, just took blood pressure meds and I don't wanna take any more.

Joe