POLITICS - Second Amendment: A Citizen's Right

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

POLITICS - Second Amendment: A Citizen's Right

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This is why I like Thompson...

Second Amendment: A Citizen’s Right
By U.S. Sen. Fred Thompson, 1/2/2008 7:34:02 PM

Here’s another reason why it’s important that we appoint judges who use the Constitution as more than a set of suggestions. On Nov. 21, 2007, the Supreme Court decided to hear the case of District of Columbia v. Heller.
Six plaintiffs from Washington, D.C. challenged the provisions of the D.C. Code that prohibited them from owning or carrying a handgun. They argued that the rules were an unconstitutional abridgment of their Second Amendment rights. The Second Amendment, part of the Bill of Rights, provides, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.â€
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Well I guess if he is pretty much as conservative across the board he has my vote! :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

505stevec wrote:Well I guess if he is pretty much as conservative across the board he has my vote! :wink:
During the summer he wrote a series of articles on Federalism and Constitutional issues that appeared in www.townhall.com. They were excellent (you can probably still find them online). His understanding is superb. I'm not sure how well he is going to do - his late entry, plus a few missteps, have hurt him. I hope he comes on strong though! :D
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Fed is my choice as well....

until we are left with no choice
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Teek
Levergunner

Post by Teek »

I don't think Fred Thompson will be the next nominee...but among the Republican contenders he and Mike Huckabee have a very strong pro Second Amendment record. I think Ron Paul also is pro-gun rights. Huckabee won the Iowa Caucus, with nine delagates. Fred didn't pick up any, but he didn't do poorly enough to bail out, yet...not by any means. I don't know Mit Romney's record, or where he stands on gun right issues. If I were to vote for McCain, it would have to be because I was voting AGAINST the other party...and Guliani supports some gun laws, too. From the "most likely" successful candidates to win the nomination and to pit against the Democratic front runners, this Republican field worries me a little.

I like Fred Thompson a lot, and I certainly hope he does better in New Hampshire.

Teek
DDude
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DDude »

I won't vote for someone who is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations, which Thompson is a member.

Ron Paul is very pro-Constitution, be it the 2A as an individual's right or the often ignored 10A which has resulted in a bigger, more intrusive federal government and the loss of freedom for all Americans.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Fred's strategy appears to be to concentrate on SC and beyond. He knows there is little chance of him doing well in NH - essentially Romney's home turf and contested somewhat by Guiliani and McCain. Hopefully Thompson's campaign picks up steam here soon!
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I'm with you there. Overall I think he's our best choice. Time to spread the word and pass out the bumper stickers.

I no longer trust Huckabee.
I don't completely agree with Ron Paul's isolationists views.
I didn't like Romney lying about being a lifelong hunter - that was a big no-no (didn't work for Kerry, either).
I can't put my finger on what I don't like about Duncan Hunter - I should look closer and think about it.
McCain, well he's a bit too liberal for me, and a bit inconsistent.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

:D
Last edited by Idahoser on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

homefront wrote:I no longer trust Huckabee...
Someday more people will figure out that there really isn't any difference between Government Mandated Christian Charity and Government Mandated Social Welfare... :(
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

homefront wrote:I'm with you there. Overall I think he's our best choice. Time to spread the word and pass out the bumper stickers.

I no longer trust Huckabee.
I don't completely agree with Ron Paul's isolationists views.
I didn't like Romney lying about being a lifelong hunter - that was a big no-no (didn't work for Kerry, either).
I can't put my finger on what I don't like about Duncan Hunter - I should look closer and think about it.
McCain, well he's a bit too liberal for me, and a bit inconsistent.
Homefront, i'm with you. My main man is Duncan Hunter. He is a true conservative. He just doesn't have a chance of getting the nom. Saying that I think Fred fills the bill nicely.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.