The Trapper In Scotland 07

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

The Trapper In Scotland 07

Post by Nath »

We have just got back from our Scotland hols and I managed some stalking but did not have any luck on the deer but did bump into some fox,s. The first was shot at about 20yds as he strolled towards me completly oblivious.
As you can see it was only half light in the early morning from the flash off the camera. I left it for the shepherd to see :wink:
On the same day after entertaining the current Mrs Nath I went back for an evening stalk only to spot sitting on rock another fox in the same area sunning and scratching it self and so I managed to get down to around 60yds and let the trapper do the talking-to be honest I nearly fluffed the shot as nerves got to me a bit :oops:
And there she is placed with the dog from the morning. She was licking her side as I shot and sure enough the bullet passed through her mough cutting the tongue exiting her right cheek and then entering the chest-job done.
I spooked a buck, he ran off barking at me but I never saw him and another time I was listening to three animals barking at each other from differant locations so there may of been a doe pheeping that I was unaware of. Never mind it was great all the same. The wind was low so the midges were bad. The current Mrs Nath was thrilled when one morn I had a tick creeping across her pillow :oops:
Luckily one day whilst driving down a back road I spyed a buck just of a small road with some gorse between him and the road also he was lower than the road so asked my wife to drive down to a gate real close and then we quietly crept to the gorse right above him, 15yds I think and my bow would of done. My wife was thrilled, he had a limp from fighting I expect. After a while I barked at him and his reaction was to hunt us down, fantastic it was and when he saw us he ran a few hundred yds and some how forgot about the limp :!:
Any ways theres the report and I,m off to bed -catch you laters :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Sound like a very good way to spend the day.
It seems you have fox's like we have coyotes.
Nice shooting.[/code]
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Very interesting hearing about hunting in Scotland.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Another fine post from the "Nath".

Post by LeverBob »

Holy fur coat Nathie! Nice shootin'! :shock: Keep up the good work. Mrs. Nath #2 sound like she enjoys the hunts. Is that right?

LeverBob
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Thank you for the pictures and reports. It looks like you have beautiful countryside there.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

LeverBob, The current Mrs Nath is also#1. I only ever have had one wedding- why the hell some folk want more is beyond me :lol:
The part of Scotland we visit is the south west, it has good hills but not mountains, lots of timber and few folk. There is no bright lights so there ain,t no idiots about. Alot of ground is bog and it was my boot sinking in bog and the associated noises that spooked the first buck :roll:
Mrs Nath don,t really like hunting allthough she did enjoy that encounter with me and the buck. Jayne is very considerate to my needs to hunt and lets me crank my lever regular :oops:
If you wish to refer to maps look to southwest Scotland and find Glenluce on the main rout of the A75. Now look northish for Artfield fell-that is where the hunting took place. The whole area is crawling with deer and fox,s. Roe deer, red deer, sika and fallow.
I was wondering if a bolt gun in a super zinger caliber would of helped me enjoy my self hmmm- no don,t think so :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nath,
Enjoyed reading about the hunt and the photos. The hunt is always grand, but baggin' game is like the icing on cake, makes it that much sweeter. Congrats.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I agree. My wife & I were happy, for 22 years - and then we met ! :wink:

R U gonna get the fox/foxes taxidermied ? That brace'd make a nice display.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

It would be nice to see a photo or two of some of the more boggy, wild landscape in the area where you hunt in Scotland.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Ihave not got any pics of the country but will rectify that in the future but here is the current Mrs Nath
Now me,
These were taken on the Mull of Galloway, kinder behind us is the Mull of Kintyre. About 60 miles across the sea. To my right is Ireland and The Isle of Mann on which you can own and shoot a hand gun :roll: (God give me strength) The Mrs was convinced that the camera was faulty and kept insisting I move further back :roll: We were on bird sanctury land in the photos and yes it is generally run by antis but as we had our spaniel with us it turns out in conversation with one of the caretakers he has one too and later on we bumped into him again on another beach walking his dog and in camo gear were upon he asked if I shot and anounced he did too but get this he did not want anybody on the sanctury to know :shock:
Well next year I hope I don,t forget to keep my big mouth shut :lol: :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Thanks

Post by LeverBob »

Thanks for the pics Nath...The Mrs. is a loverly Lass! I will make it a point to look up the area & see where all your action is.

I agree with you & the others, I've been married to the same gal for 35 yrs. & don't want to mess that up with another. I have more than I can handle at home already. Never have, never will!

Have you been to the states? Sounds like you're a westerner from the US. By the way, are you familiar with the African hunting site by Ganyana? Andy Law is a Brit who hunts with a .357 Marlin 1894. He lays the daisies low down in SA.

Proud to know you pard!

LeverBob
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Hi LeverBob, yes I am a closet westener and no I have not visit the states. Evan if I could afford a visit I don,t think I would dare visit as I am sure it would brake my heart. I would have to see Wyoming, Arizona, Nevarda, Dakota, Alaska and Washington state. Then theres Texas and New Mexico. Hobies Virginia sounds swell. Any State that smells of black powder smoke would have me hooked.
This little place I live in now use to be great but the great experiment from the "love and peace" era has finally caught up with us and now in ever desperate measure the forces that be are continuely thinking of new ways of controll as society slowly falls apart. I hope it goes full circle but I feel the it will get messy on the way.
Blessings to you free men. Get blissters on your hands and sweat some regular. Take the odd nip of spirit and pipe. Keep the eye sharp and the tongue moderated. :wink:
Hell-I gotta go to work tomorrow :roll:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Great post Nath, always enjoy your writings and pictures!
If you ever make it to Nevada, me and LeverBob have the state covered from both ends :D
Keep up the spirit and take care of that fine lady.
cavebear803
Levergunner

Post by cavebear803 »

Loks like you have a very fine wife there Nath; although, from the picture it appears she may not have married very well.... :lol: :lol: :lol: BTW, anyone who will keep one of us after the lever bug bites is a keeper all around!! I loved the story of the hunt and the picture of both of you just added to my enjoyment! May you be blessed with a hundred more years with your leverguns; and that your misses is there by your side when you cross the river! Hollis
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

Nath. I read an article in Field and Stream that said in Scotland it was the law that one had to have a sound supressor on the barrel of ones rifle .Is this true throughout Scotland or is it just in certain places?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Nath, you and I look rather unfortunately alike... (I showed the pic to my mum, and she had to look twice...) You about 13 stone too? :wink:

Would be fun for me to come across the pond to visit the Maternal homestead (Loch Lomond/Clan Buchanan) and annoy the Yard by going shooting with you. :D
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

The missus and the countryside look great, not sure about the bald guy though :lol: .

Nice shooting, sounds like your wife is like mine. Doesn't hunt, likes to shoot and totally lets me do my thing in hunting too.

Would like it if she hunted with me, but hey, I ain't perfect either. :D
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Cheers guys,
Old Irons, Yeah ,13&1/2 stone after the holiday and 13,3 before :oops:
I think Cavebear called you ugly Old Irons :shock: If ever I catch up with him I,m gonna shoot all his ammo off ha :lol:
Rebel1972, No sound moderaters on my levers! No sir it is not a legal requirment to have them (thank God). The misunderstanding probably comes from the fact that Forest commission stalkers have to use them on health grounds eg, damaged hearing claims. Alot of hunters use them now but I personally do not like them. I like everybody hearing me shooting even if they don,t like it, I consider it my duty to educate them :wink:
Salvo, if ever I make it to Nevada you will think you got a tick on your @$$. I will take over your loading bench,your revolvers, your rifles, your hunting grounds and most off all-all the good cooking that flows from your kitchen wuh hahahahahahahah :wink:
Thanks for making this post so enjoyable dudes :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

IIRC it's Finland that requires Moderators...

Nath, I'm looking for a pic of me in a similar pose, but Tycer & 86er ought to verify that we've accomplished 2 continents of ugly. :P
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
cavebear803
Levergunner

Post by cavebear803 »

Nath, you ever make it to my neck of the woods you are more than welcome to shoot up all the ammo you can!! Very cheap price to pay for the enjoyment your posts have given me since I found this site. It's nice to know we aren't the only ones fighting the good fight to remain socially "un-nueterred" as my bro always referred to the social reforms tossed out under the guise of "reasonable gun controls" which we all know means CONTROL!! Hollis
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Here you are Old Irons, here is me when i,m not frowning
Hansom fello yes :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Salvo...you're dead right! We've got the whole dang state covered...and if they make a move ...we'll drill em'! :evil:
Nath...you have my permission to be a tick on Salvo's a.s' anytime you want! It would be a privilege to see you shoot up all his ammo & eat up all his vittles! :D
Make the trip pard! :wink:

LeverBob
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

AH, So she's running around with the likes of you is she? :wink: :wink:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Nath is welcome anytime! I'll send him North after he cleans out the storage and critters :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Kintyre, that is where, I understand, the MacAllisters (my mother's clan are from.) Here is my current (first wife) telling me a thing or two. You can tell she thought the message shoud be stronger in picutre two.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Now theres a fine Scotish lass if ever I saw one- you can tell by that warm freindly smile and how it oh so quickly can change to don,t mess with boy face :wink:
Fine looking lady Sir ,you done good :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, thank you Nath, but, she is German - Bohemian and has already turned in the first - see the fire in her eyes. She is just ramping it up in the second. Didn't want that picture taken or something of the like. 8)

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

What a fool am I :oops: You said your Mother was from Scotland, sorry.
I too are half German from Bavaria,Augsburg.
Yes cameras easily detect the devil in my current wifes eyes. Quite usefull I think and if there is a moon phew, just forget it :wink:
I blame the Mother in law- I allways know when she is visiting because the mice throw them selfs on the traps :lol:
On halloween I have to spend the whole evening on the front lawn with loaded shot gun just in case she trys to land in on her broom :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Nath wrote: On halloween I have to spend the whole evening on the front lawn with loaded shot gun just in case she trys to land in on her broom :lol:

:lol:

I grinned when I read this and thought "yup, I know that with some other family here..." Been lucky with my other in law though, she likes me! Don't know why, but it's a good feeling :wink:
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt