Stack-on safes - anyone have an opinion on them?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Stack-on safes - anyone have an opinion on them?

Post by Tristan »

I see that the local Dick's sporting goods carries a line of stack-on safes; has anyone any experience with them, and how did you like them?

Thanks for any feedback...

- Tristan
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Stack-on safes - anyone have an opinion on them?

Post by Blaine »

nobearsyet wrote:They're fine for what they are. Just keep in mind they aren't fire reated, and you can pick them up with one hand and carry it off
Plus 1.....They are made so you can mount them from the inside to the wall and floor.....I couldn't pick mine up, but I could sure slide it to the door and use a hand cart on it..... I have the double wide StackOn and a single Homak...the Homak seems a little more solid and better put together.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

yeah, I have the Homak and bought them because they are a little thicker guage and have some other features like two finger locks. Mine are all bolted together and to the wall - it presents a rather difficult barrier but of course, not like a real safe. But it will slow them down a lot. I also have a security system and cameras. Finally, NRA insurance...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

+ a few more for the "they are what they are".

IMO if you aren't getting a "bank safe", you might as well do what I ded and set up a dead upright freezer as a "safe". Every bit as hard to get into (so long as the lock works &/or you install a hasp), harder to move, much more fire-resistant/water resistant, and doesn't scream "there are guns in here!".

ImageImage
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

OI,
Thats right clever and practical.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I have a small Stack-On cabinet the size of a backpack with a side-swinging door and keylock. It contains my two subguns.

It is securely fastened to a concrete wall with anchor bolts and heavy, large diameter washers inside. I've got three lengths of Romex 12/2 cable running into the cabinet and up into theoverhead floor joists where they terminate unseen and unconnected, except for one of the cables which is hot, and provide power for a 4 watt "nightlight." That 4 watt lamp makes the steel cabinet warm and prevents moisture condensation in the humid months, a poor-man's "Goldenrod" if you will. Keeps the SMGs from rusting, and if someone does plant a hand on it, they might just accept it for what it appears to be.

I removed the Stack-On logo and applied a home-made self-adhesive label with a different (fake) logo and the words "Uninterrupted Power Supply" (UPS) and a bogus model number, with watts, amps, voltage, Temperature Rise data, UL approval, etc., to the cabinet door. All eyewash.

The "UPS Cabinet" is inside my gun room, itself constructed with concrete block walls with rebar and concrete in the block voids, and a hefty steel security door for personnel access. Burglars might get to the regular stuff if they can defeat the locks and central alarm, but the UPS just might fool them.
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Good Idea on the "UPS"...

Mescalero: I don't figure the goblins are that interested in stealing freezer pops...

FWIW, this kind of "safe" also works best with a distraction to back it up... like a REALLY cheap stack-on or some such that has a broken tomato-stake in it, along with a bunch of other useless/broken gun parts & gear. Let 'em spend all their time futzing with the garbage. You may get lucky enough to catch them while they are at it. :twisted:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I have one. Stamped steel box. I don't keep guns in it. If I ever had to get in it and lost the key, I'd just use a big screwdriver or tire iron.

When we move, I'll get the cheapest, largest safe I can get with a Sargent and Greenleaf dial with a relocker and build a filled cinderblock enclosure around it and over it with a steel exterior, fire-rated door and deadbolts. And then remove all the fireproofing inside the safe.

Safes are not really "safe" until you get into the big bucks and the fire ratings don't compare with a filled cinderblock enclosure.

In my current house I have a $2000 Liberty and had to build the cinderblock enclosure for it 'cause it took me about two seconds to figger I could open the side of that thing with an axe like a can opener. It's got a good lock and paint job though.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Tycer,
For a long time I thought I was the only one that realized that, now try and tell someone the $2000.00 safe he just bought is not very good.
It took an owner to come clean.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Ok to lock up some ammo in!
Guns? No way! Thats one place do not go to cheap.
Go to Sams Club get one of theirs on sale for $500-$600
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

My stackon safe weights around 500lbs.Can't really use a cart to move it around. Stack on makes different grades of safes. Mine has the basic fire rating like all the other entry level fire safes. It holds 36 guns and I don't have any problems with it. Plus the local farm and barn store sold them for about $300 less than any others I could find. I didn't care about fire rating since I'm in a total loss area . Where by the time the Fire Dept. gets here it would be to late to save the house. I was more concerned about theft. I think mine is a stack on Elite. I would buy another one. Of course that won't happen since my wife told me when this one is full, that's enough guns.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Ya,I didnt know Stack-on makes 36 gun 500lb safes.
Now that should do! I thought they were all a lot smaller!
45-70marlin
Levergunner

Post by 45-70marlin »

I have a stack on safe like ben t and have had it about 3 1/2 years with no problems. It is fire rated as the other high dollar ones. I would buy another one.
Endeavor to persevere
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Did they steal your refrigerator?

Obfuscation & Concealment beats Obvious & Heavy... though a readily stolen Safe containing a couple of door actuated Claymores wouldn't be a bad idea either...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:+ a few more for the "they are what they are".

IMO if you aren't getting a "bank safe", you might as well do what I ded and set up a dead upright freezer as a "safe". Every bit as hard to get into (so long as the lock works &/or you install a hasp), harder to move, much more fire-resistant/water resistant, and doesn't scream "there are guns in here!".

ImageImage
Cool idea! Of course I'd bet the smokeless would make a bit of 'fire' inside the thing if the refrigerator were in a house fire though. Don't know if that much powder would damage the guns...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Since I put a GoldenRod in it I moved the powder out. Not good for the powder to be kept at 70-80deg...

OTOH, the 1" of fiberglass surrounding everything would make heating the inside to spontaneous combustion temps pretty tough, so without a heat-drier I think it would be pretty safe.

I keep 50# of BP in the (working) chest freezer...

You can usually pick up a non-working Upright Freezer (the refrigerators don't have a lock) for free/Haulage. Or you can join your local "freecycle" junk exchange (freecycle.org). Either way, usually free for the hauling.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

OK, tried to post earlier but couldn't, for some reason...

I'm not referring to the metal-locker style cabinets put out by stack-on, but to their 'Total Defense' line, which weigh in the neighborhood of 500-600 lbs, have vault type doors with hardened steel bolts to lock the door.

I appreciate all the feedback, especially the 'thinking outside of the box' type...

All in all, seems like it could be a decent purchase if a person is unwilling to go to a bank vault type.

- Tristan
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I kinda like that big locked freezer idea :idea:
Dont it get musty though.I know a frigerator unplugged with door closed does.Also what type moisture rod etc could you use to prevent it.? Clever idea if it can keep the guns from rusting!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

madman4570 wrote:I kinda like that big locked freezer idea :idea:
Dont it get musty though.I know a frigerator unplugged with door closed does.Also what type moisture rod etc could you use to prevent it.? Clever idea if it can keep the guns from rusting!
I bored 3/8" holes in the top-back corners to allow some air circulation and to feed in the Golden Rod power cord. The door seals are good enough that the water would have to get 6' deep in a basement flood before it would start seeping into the "safe"...

Those 2 holes + Goldenrod = No musty-rusty. But I DID have to scrub the thing with baking soda and bleach it out after I tore out the racks. It was pretty nasty when I got it. Image
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Cool!

As my old man would have said, Well now boy thats using your head for somthing besides a hat rack!!!

Good job there Sir and Thanks! :)
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I think OI's "Stack-O-Kitties" poster on the front of his gun freezer is a great camouflage idea, too! :lol:
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I agree with BenT, the Stack On safes are not all the same. The heavier ones are a good safe, and not one you'll get into with a pry bar. I've got a small Stack On with heavy bolts, and std. combo lock, and I don't feel like it's unsafe.
Not sure I'd put them in the same class with my other more expensive safes, but a very good safe for the money.

"IMO if you aren't getting a "bank safe", you might as well do what I ded and set up a dead upright freezer as a "safe". Every bit as hard to get into (so long as the lock works &/or you install a hasp), harder to move, much more fire-resistant/water resistant, and doesn't scream "there are guns in here!".

OI, doesn't that fridge have just two screws to remove the top hinge? I think the Stack On is a bit harder to take the door off of.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

marlinman93 wrote:... OI, doesn't that fridge have just two screws to remove the top hinge? I think the Stack On is a bit harder to take the door off of.
Yes, but that would indicate that the GB knew that there was somthing inside other than freezer pops and last year's venison...

However, it's not hard to make those screws "permenant" either.

Really the Freezer compares, security wise, about equally with the stamped metal Stack Ons, but is fire & waterproof as well. The real Security comes from Obscurity.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

I have one. I think its rated for 45 long rifles but I have around 40 in this particular safe and it is FULL. It is a good safe for the money and heavy. Empty I believe it is around 900LBS. Like everyone else around here, I should have bought a bigger one. But, I am active duty and I need something that can be moved when needed. I did free up allot of shelf space by using the holsters that velcro to the existing door carpet. They haven't failed me yet. And yes you will see quite a few EBR's in the pictures, but there are around 11 leverguns and 5 SAA's with another Ruger 357 3 screw and 1893 Marlin on the way :wink:
Last edited by Mich Hunter on Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

OI- LOVE the idea. Stack on? A ten year old farm kid could make a mail box out of one in half an hour. Their safes and tool boxes are more of a deterrent than anything. Easy as hell to get into, but it takes time. All they'll do is slow down the thief; if he's a family member, or your house is in the sticks, you're screwed.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Also Consider------Alarming Your Safe
If your house has a burglar alarm, consider having a sensor added to the safe. A friend with a lightweight safe has a simple mercury switch wired inside his safe to detect if the safe has been tipped over. The sensor is wired into his home alarm system as a separate "zone" - one not normally disarmed even when he and his family are at home. Even if they forget to arm the alarm system when they leave the house, if the safe is removed, the alarm goes off.
While on the subject of burglar alarms, consider having an siren added to the room in which you keep your safe. A high-decibel siren makes it almost impossible to think, let alone try to figure out how to break into the safe before the police arrive.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Two or three of those idiotic alarms you're supposed to hang on motel room doors would be a nice touch; if the safe even gets jostled, they'll go off, and just ONE is loud as hell; three will not go unnoticed, going down the road!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
45-70marlin
Levergunner

Post by 45-70marlin »

Old Ironsights, nice idea but dont think your freezer is fire proof. I lost all my guns to a house fire 3 1/2 years ago. I didnt have a safe. A stupid thing to do on my part. I also had a freezer and fridg in the fire. They were twisted piles of junk. The plastic insides will burn and melt, the outer steel will be red hot and will bend or chrush when parts of the house fall on it. The fire was hot enough to melt aluminum. If one can aford it, buy a fire proof safe. for the price of one of two guns you protect them all.
Endeavor to persevere
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

It's still about as good as the Stack-on, a heck of a lot cheaper, and if you have people over, they don't tell others about your having two freezers in the basement. This may not be true of non-gun folks that see even one safe in your basement.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

On a safe that does not have bolts that raise up on top, a pry bar in the center of the door will buckle the door far enough to disengage the side bolts. If you have a steel lentil in your surround, it eliminates their ability to pry. As it eliminates their ability to rock the safe off the floor bolts.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Well, I can tell you that a pry bar will not open this safe. I will challenge anyone to try. Now opinions on safes is the same as buying a Ford vs GMC. Everyone has there own flavor that they like. Some also watch too many commercial and drink the kool aid. In the end, you are just paying for a name brand. I have talked to several safe dealers and lock smiths. All say that the quality of the heavy Stack On's is about the same as every other safe in its weight class. A trained locksmith can get into any Cannon, Liberty or Fort Knox safe. If a criminal really wants the contents out of your safe, they will get it with enough time and equipment. A plasma torch will cut any safe. If you fill the a safe with water and then add a charge, it will blow any safe door open. This has been proven countless times. No matter what, it is just buying you time as a deterrent. In the end, no safe is 100% criminal proof. Just make sure you have home owners that covers your guns 100%
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

45-70marlin wrote:Old Ironsights, nice idea but dont think your freezer is fire proof. I lost all my guns to a house fire 3 1/2 years ago. I didnt have a safe. A stupid thing to do on my part. I also had a freezer and fridg in the fire. They were twisted piles of junk. The plastic insides will burn and melt, the outer steel will be red hot and will bend or chrush when parts of the house fall on it. The fire was hot enough to melt aluminum. If one can aford it, buy a fire proof safe. for the price of one of two guns you protect them all.
Nothing is absolutely "fireproof" in a full-on 100% loss housefire, but it will certainly protect it from more than an unlined bent-sheetmetal low-cost "safe" - which is about all I'm comparing it to. A "Bank Vault" type safe will always be "better", but the difference is about $500-$2000 ;) and I'm not sure a bank-vault type safe is as watertight :mrgreen: .
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

If yer threat level says ya need a SAFE, get ya a "real" safe.

If, like me, ya live in a low threat environment and are simply trying to discourage a teenage burglar from walking off with em, then yeah, even the cheap "locker" type are fine. I bolted mine to the closet wall studs with lags, and replaced the closet door with a solid door, also deadbolted. Nobody is gonna spend the time, frankly, unless they "knew" and wanted something specific.

Oh, my overflow safe is an old dry cleaners locker (airtight and heavier than the stack on) I got for $20 at auction.
Certified gun nut
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Old Ironsights wrote:+ a few more for the "they are what they are".

ImageImage

NICE! I think you may have found a way to get your guns past the common burglar! Sure hope he dont see this post. I seriously doubt most burglars would think of trying to force a freezer open especially if another freezer was there that had some meat in it.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

BTW, dead chest type freezers are good for storing about a ton of horse feed. They'll keep mice out, but bears are another story.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Old Ironsights wrote:
marlinman93 wrote:... OI, doesn't that fridge have just two screws to remove the top hinge? I think the Stack On is a bit harder to take the door off of.
Yes, but that would indicate that the GB knew that there was somthing inside other than freezer pops and last year's venison...

However, it's not hard to make those screws "permenant" either.

Really the Freezer compares, security wise, about equally with the stamped metal Stack Ons, but is fire & waterproof as well. The real Security comes from Obscurity.

Wouldn't all that plastic in there turn into melted goo if there was a fire? Never tried but I think I could shove a screwdriver thru my freezer. Still looks like a not bad idea. I long ago outgrew my little 8 gun safe & keep them in a locked alarmed room for now.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The thin sheet metal of a refridgerator or freezer would melt outside and then the plastic inside would catch fire about the same time it melted. I have a good friend who's place caught fire and although the car paint was scorched off, it survived and still ran. The freezer (even full of frozen food) melted from the heat and was a blob of melted metal with wet melted food in the middle.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Well, again I only compare the Upright Freezer trick with the low-end stamped sheetmetal "safes". My contention is that rather than shell out money for a low end stamped sheet metal wall locker with a fancy lock, the cheaper and less "I've got Guns in Here" solution is the Freezer.

As mentioned before, the BEST solution is a true Vault surrounded by filled block (then preferably camoflauged as a closet or somthing...).
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Noah Zark wrote:

I removed the Stack-On logo and applied a home-made self-adhesive label with a different (fake) logo and the words "Uninterrupted Power Supply" (UPS) and a bogus model number, with watts, amps, voltage, Temperature Rise data, UL approval, etc., to the cabinet door. All eyewash.
I love it! 8)
otteray
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Old Ironsights wrote:Well, again I only compare the Upright Freezer trick with the low-end stamped sheetmetal "safes". My contention is that rather than shell out money for a low end stamped sheet metal wall locker with a fancy lock, the cheaper and less "I've got Guns in Here" solution is the Freezer.

As mentioned before, the BEST solution is a true Vault surrounded by filled block (then preferably camoflauged as a closet or somthing...).

I think that the camo aspect of a freezer is good. But I dont buy the contention that they offer the same degree of security if someones trying to get in. My el cheapo stack on has bolts on three sides & a full length hinge. Theres no easy way to start prying & you couldn't poke thru it with hand tools & cut it open with tin snips. Just to see I locked my upright & grabbed the top corner of the door & pulled. I think if I really tried I could fold it over. Granted a hasp at the top & bottom corners would solve that but then it starts looking like theres more than Omaha steaks in it.

I still think its a good idea OI, I'm just pointing out short comings I see in it is all. :wink:
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Old Ironsights,

Love the avatar! Bork, bork, bork!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

Mich hunter wrote:I have one. I think its rated for 45 long rifles but I have around 40 in this particular safe and it is FULL. It is a good safe for the money and heavy. Empty I believe it is around 900LBS. Like everyone else around here, I should have bought a bigger one. But, I am active duty and I need something that can be moved when needed. I did free up allot of shelf space by using the holsters that velcro to the existing door carpet. They haven't failed me yet. And yes you will see quite a few EBR's in the pictures, but there are around 11 leverguns and 5 SAA's with another Ruger 357 3 screw and 1893 Marlin on the way :wink:
Mich hunter,

Where did you find those velcro holsters?

Tristan