Any 1911 fans here?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Re: Any 1911 fans here?

Post by Lastmohecken »

I recond If I had to choose just one handgun to use for the rest of my life, it would more then likely be a Top quality 5 inch 1911 with adjustable Bomar sights, beavertail grip safety, arched mainspring housing, lowered ejection port, with checkered wood slab grips, ambi-safety, (because I am left handed), short trigger, and no other fancy junk hanging on it, but the barrel would be throated and the ramp polished to aid reliability. Out of the 4 1911's I own, I recond my first choice would be my Wilson Combat custom 5 inch.

My favorite load has always been a 200gr cast lead semi-wadcutter in front of around 5 grs of bullseye.

My Wilson is extremly reliable, and even though I am a revolver fan, also, I have seen quite a few malfuctions with revolvers, to the point that I am quite confortable with a good 1911. Still yet a good revolver is hard to beat, and I could be happy with several models, like a good Smith and Wesson 4 inch model 29, or even a good peacemaker. But the best revolver will wear out quicker then a well maintained 1911 or at least it's eaiser to keep a good 1911 running for an extended time frame with only a handful of replacement parts. I have wore out several revolvers, but I have never wore out a 1911, although I have replaced a few small parts, all of them without the need to take it to a gunsmith.
NRA Life Member, Patron
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

Streetstar wrote:
azmark wrote:So you guys would feel comfortable with your ability to hit a skunk, a yote, bobcat or other such varmint with your mil spec sights, say with a Springfield GI model or similar?

They do make shotshells, so rattlers could be dealt with that way I suppose. Might be kinda loud in the barn for mice, though :lol:

I can with mine --- i hope i am not setting myself up for too much ridicule by posting my 20 yard offhand target, as i know there are some fine shots who frequent this board ---- but i will freely admit to being a pretty poor pistolero and the 1911 is the first semi-auto i picked up that i could reliably hit things with. I wouldnt say this is good enough accuracy to reliably hit a mouse everytime at 20, but it will sure scare the heck out of them ! :lol:

You sound like an average guy, which is heartening. I had heard stories that the 1911 required lots of practice to become passably proficient with.
Mark Dickinson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Got rid of two 70's nickel Colts and kept this one - it is just better.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Mark,
That is simply not true, whoever told you that was mistaken, ill informed, or one of those dime store commandos that is enamored with the sound of his own voice.
Buy a 1911, dont buy a top end model, now take the money you saved on a sensible gun and buy ammo.
Shoot the gun.
You will become proficent.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

mescalero1 wrote:Mark,
That is simply not true, whoever told you that was mistaken, ill informed, or one of those dime store commandos that is enamored with the sound of his own voice.
Buy a 1911, dont buy a top end model, now take the money you saved on a sensible gun and buy ammo.
Shoot the gun.
You will become proficent.

Any new system takes work; I used to be able to field strip a Sig 220 so fast it looked like a magic trick, all while keeping it pointed downrange. There are a few tricks you learn to working any machine efficiently. As for shooting, though, once you figure out your grip, you're good.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I'm a life fan of the 1911 - started when I enlisted in 1943 - Here are mine. top one is a Colt's Series 70 45 ACP made in 1970 - nest is a "repro" second generation made since 2002. Rumors of better or worse quality are just that for me as both are equally accurate, reliable, and identical twins quality wise.

The only "mods" I've done are flat mainspring housings, King's Hardballer Sights, and Gunsite Low Mount Thumb Safeties (original bushing now a solid one) all minor and just to suit my tastes - all done by me.

This I bought on a "whim of the moment" despite my knowing QC at AMT was spotty and it was on sale for $300 - turned out I was lucky and it's been essentially generally as reliable as my Colts. I replaced the over sized slide lock, thumb safety, and replaced the rubber grips with rosewood grips. It's a lot of fum to shoot but too large to carry and I carry (wear) one of the Colt's - which I shoot every week and alternate weeks for carry.

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

So, are you guys saying it's not necessary to spend the extra $$ to get a model with upgraded sights? I'm getting that feeling, without actually counting responses. Y'all are a little different over here (in a good way :D ). I'm seeing on a dedicated (unnamed!) 1911 site that the overwhelming recommendation is to not go with the Army-issue version of the 1911, especially because of the sights.
Mark Dickinson
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

If and when you get the itch for a hot rod model, you can sell the one you started with and offset the cost of the hot rod.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I bought my GI gun thinking that changing the sights was going to be a mandatory thing as soon as i could, but they turned out to not be too bad for my use at all.
I'm not going to mess with the gun unless it needs it, --- the higher end guns have a lot of other features that i could not duplicate on mine at a reasonable economic level --- so when the time comes, i am going to purchase a Gold Cup instead of upgrading the GI gun. The GI gun is great basically because it makes a real good "knock around" gun and i dont have to worry about it.
Now a Gold Cup on the other hand (or higher end Kimber, Springfield, Les Baer etc) for me would likely be a range toy. Something to lovingly transport to the range in a plush suede lined transport case, unpack it, let it do its business, then put it back , take it home and clean it. The GI gun , metaphorically speaking, is just as comfortable laying on the floor as riding in a nice case. I like it that way.
Springfield does make a model called the Mil-Spec that has nicer sights and a lowered ejection port, but keeps the same flavor of the GI gun though.

But on this forum, many of the guys here love shooting single action six guns, so in comparison to a Ruger Vaquero with fixed sights, being able to drift the sights on a GI Springfield is an advanced feature :lol:
----- Doug
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

azmark wrote:So, are you guys saying it's not necessary to spend the extra $$ to get a model with upgraded sights? I'm getting that feeling, without actually counting responses. Y'all are a little different over here (in a good way :D ). I'm seeing on a dedicated (unnamed!) 1911 site that the overwhelming recommendation is to not go with the Army-issue version of the 1911, especially because of the sights.
The sights suck on GI models, but anyone with less than four thumbs can install better ones with only a few basic hand tools and a dremel for removing the staked in front sight.
Last edited by Travis Morgan on Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I think it depends on the person...with the exception of my Super, every auto I've owned shoots waaay low left as leaving the factory. I know it's me, but then it's consistent, so I'm relegated to changing the sights. You may be different than everyone else, so I would look at something that you can easily do a retro fit for rear sights. That generally means a Bomar cut or something similar. The old factory Colt dovetails are generally difficult to find elevation adjusable sights for.

Ed
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Kansas Ed wrote:I think it depends on the person...with the exception of my Super, every auto I've owned shoots waaay low left as leaving the factory. I know it's me, but then it's consistent, so I'm relegated to changing the sights. You may be different than everyone else, so I would look at something that you can easily do a retro fit for rear sights. That generally means a Bomar cut or something similar. The old factory Colt dovetails are generally difficult to find elevation adjusable sights for.

Ed
I used to have the same problem. Now, I shoot tiny little groups that are only slightly to the left. Aggravatin' as hell, ain't it?
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

azmark wrote:So, are you guys saying it's not necessary to spend the extra $$ to get a model with upgraded sights? I'm getting that feeling, without actually counting responses. Y'all are a little different over here (in a good way :D ). I'm seeing on a dedicated (unnamed!) 1911 site that the overwhelming recommendation is to not go with the Army-issue version of the 1911, especially because of the sights.
My GI gun was gifted to me by the Cap't of our ship in recognition of something stupid. It, along with the NM Gold Cup were guns I shot as part of the Ship's pistol team. The GI model is just an issue .45 1911A1 of 1971 production by Colt. Our armorer set both triggers to break as close to identically as he humanly could. With my eyes closed, I cannot tell the two guns apart except for the difference in finish. The GI was my practice gun... our coach felt if you could shoot qualifying scores with issue sights... you would only improve with the NM sights. I have never shoot as well with any of my 1911A1s or the Combat Commander in PPC as I do with my Mdl 65 S&W with .38Spl+P loads.

My qualifying scores with the Smith were consistently in the 300pt, 35+ "X" scoring... with 300pts being the highest point count available. With any of my semi-autos, .45ACP my PPC scores were consistently 295+ points with an "X" count in the low 30s. That's basically dropping 5 shots outta the 10 ring into the 9. Whooppee, although such scores wouldn't win contests, they were adequate enough that I certainly didn't hesitate to go on duty with any of them.

Any issue with an issue 1911 is NOT the sights... If they are regulated correctly and remain stationary... that's all that's needed... any issue 1911 only suffers due to issue magazines. Do NOT go "cheap" on magazines. They will cause more malfunctions and hiccups than any issue a rough, coarse or non-adjustable sight would EVER cause.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

Yeah, part of my reluctance is that I can generally hit what I shoot at with my GP100; I guess I'm afraid I won't be able to shoot a 1911 as well. On the other hand, I've always loved the 1911 and I want one anyway.
Mark Dickinson
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

azmark wrote:Yeah, part of my reluctance is that I can generally hit what I shoot at with my GP100; I guess I'm afraid I won't be able to shoot a 1911 as well. On the other hand, I've always loved the 1911 and I want one anyway.
Mark,
It really comes down to what you want to do with the gun, but a good 1911 can be shot very well, with practice. And I believe that if you take a common joe who has not shot any kind of pistol or revolver very much, and give them a good 1911, they will learn how to shoot it well quicker then they will tipically learn to shoot a revolver, espacally at speed. However, I was probably the exception because I started with revolvers and even in combat competiton, I would normally rank much higher in the ranks with a revolver, then I would with my eairly 1911's when shooting IPSC back in the eairly 80's and beyond. But before I started shooting competition, I had many years of shooting double action revolvers at speed, and didn't get started with the 1911 until I got into competition, and while my revolvers were pretty slick, my first 1911 was not very slick, and had a sorry trigger pull, because that was all I could afford, but I shot the living daylights out of it.

But here is what I believe and I have fired many thousands of rounds in practice and competition with the 45 auto. Sure you can buy a low end 1911 and get a reloader or buy a lot of factory ammo, and get pretty good, but if you get the chance to shoot 2 or 3 different levels of tuned upper end, and untuned low end, dead stock 1911's you will see the difference. A nice gun runs so much smoother, and usually has a better trigger pull and better sights, you can tell a world of difference just by cycling the slide. And assuming that you have shot and practiced enough to at least get proficient, you will find that you will shoot the tuned gun better, and faster.

Also there are lots of cheap aftermarket sight upgrades that are just that, cheap. A top quality set of low mounted adjustable sights, or a top quality set of fixed high visibility that are well regulated, is the way to go. Although I do keep one gun with GI sights, and they can be shot pretty well, but are still slower for fast pin point shooting, if you were trying to win a match. If all you are going to do is plink tin cans, and you don't want to spend any more then you have to, then it may not matter, you can still have a lot of fun.

But don't let anyone kid you, there is a lot of difference between a rock bottom end 1911 and a nice tuned custom 1911. People that tell you otherwise, have usually never owned and shot a fine 1911, so they will try to claim that a cheap lowend 1911 is just as good, and it just isn't so, but if that is all you can afford then by all means get one, and go from there. But if you can afford it, it's usually better to get a pretty good one to start with.

At anyrate, good top quality Magazines are a must, I like Wilson mags or Chip McCormic's
Last edited by Lastmohecken on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Griff wrote:
azmark wrote:Any issue with an issue 1911 is NOT the sights... If they are regulated correctly and remain stationary... that's all that's needed... any issue 1911 only suffers due to issue magazines. Do NOT go "cheap" on magazines. They will cause more malfunctions and hiccups than any issue a rough, coarse or non-adjustable sight would EVER cause.
GI sights are just fine for target shooting. If you think you're ever gonna compete in IDPA or anything butt bullseye, or you want to use it for defensive purposes, put some real sights on.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Travis Morgan wrote:
Griff wrote:
azmark wrote:Any issue with an issue 1911 is NOT the sights... If they are regulated correctly and remain stationary... that's all that's needed... any issue 1911 only suffers due to issue magazines. Do NOT go "cheap" on magazines. They will cause more malfunctions and hiccups than any issue a rough, coarse or non-adjustable sight would EVER cause.
GI sights are just fine for target shooting. If you think you're ever gonna compete in IDPA or anything butt bullseye, or you want to use it for defensive purposes, put some real sights on.
Yes, if you are going to compete in IPSC or IDPA, or NRA, bullseye, or whatever, you need a good set of sights. But even IDPA is an excersize in gamesmanship, although it is still geared towards self defense, and playing games is still different then real life. For just pure self defense, as a civilian, I don't feel all that disavantaged with GI sights, because If I need a gun in that arena, It's probably going to be close and fast, and I don't even see much need for even night sights. However, if I was a cop, then I would want better sights.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Kansas Ed wrote:I think it depends on the person...with the exception of my Super, every auto I've owned shoots waaay low left as leaving the factory. I know it's me, but then it's consistent, so I'm relegated to changing the sights. You may be different than everyone else, so I would look at something that you can easily do a retro fit for rear sights. That generally means a Bomar cut or something similar. The old factory Colt dovetails are generally difficult to find elevation adjusable sights for.

Ed
Ed, most people that shoot low left are using more than just the index finger pad to squeeze the trigger and/or squeezing the grip as the trigger is pressed. I don't do it with my 1911 but have to fight this tendency all the time on glocks and double action first shot autos. Oddly enough, I don't seem to have ever had the problem with double action revolvers, I grip revolvers differently(with a softer grip to let them recoil) and that itself is messing up the autos. I have smaller hands and the natural reaction is to get some more leverage on that trigger is what I figure my problem is. If I consciously think about just using only the pad of my finger it goes away. Just shooting isn't my problem cause I can correct, but when drawing, then firing, it just keeps sneaking back in there.

azmark, I have a problem picking up that small front sight on the military 1911s. They are visible enough for casual shooting, and they can be shot very accurately, but they slow me down more than I like. They work better with young eyes, I'm old enough and slow enough as it is :roll: . When you start shopping I think you'll find that getting better sights is more cost efficient at purchase time, rather than later via aftermarket, on most brands of the 1911.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

In all honesty, the gun will be used mostly at the range or shooting cans and milk jugs with my son. If a coyote is anywhere near our place, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot him. A rattlesnake would be more likely than the coyote, so I would keep a couple rounds of shotshells at the top of the mag. Manually cycling for shotshells is no biggie...I had to do it with my MKIII. Then there are mice. Yeah, for real. We get mice in the barn and I hate them. I would try to shoot a jackrabbit in the yard if the wife's not around to rag on me about it. They drive our dogs nuts.

There, in a nutshell, is how any handgun I have or will have is gonna be used.

Oh, I forgot. Illegals come into the country very near to us...our place is less than a mile from the border. I won't break the law, but I'll defend my family.
Mark Dickinson
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

You need a high capacity rifle in additon to the 1911, I did not realize where you lived!
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

Griff wrote:
My GI gun was gifted to me by the Cap't of our ship in recognition of something stupid. It, along with the NM Gold Cup were guns I shot as part of the Ship's pistol team. The GI model is just an issue .45 1911A1 of 1971 production by Colt. Our armorer set both triggers to break as close to identically as he humanly could. With my eyes closed, I cannot tell the two guns apart except for the difference in finish. The GI was my practice gun... our coach felt if you could shoot qualifying scores with issue sights... you would only improve with the NM sights. I have never shoot as well with any of my 1911A1s or the Combat Commander in PPC as I do with my Mdl 65 S&W with .38Spl+P loads.

My qualifying scores with the Smith were consistently in the 300pt, 35+ "X" scoring... with 300pts being the highest point count available. With any of my semi-autos, .45ACP my PPC scores were consistently 295+ points with an "X" count in the low 30s. That's basically dropping 5 shots outta the 10 ring into the 9. Whooppee, although such scores wouldn't win contests, they were adequate enough that I certainly didn't hesitate to go on duty with any of them.

Any issue with an issue 1911 is NOT the sights... If they are regulated correctly and remain stationary... that's all that's needed... any issue 1911 only suffers due to issue magazines. Do NOT go "cheap" on magazines. They will cause more malfunctions and hiccups than any issue a rough, coarse or non-adjustable sight would EVER cause.
+1 on the mags.you get what you pay for.as they say krap in krap out. :D
pete
DAV life member.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

mescalero1 wrote:You need a high capacity rifle in additon to the 1911, I did not realize where you lived!
Yep, I agree with that.
Old Law Dawg
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I remember reading Jeff Cooper, whom many considered the guru of 1911, say that all a 1911 needed was a good trigger and good sights. Mr. Cooper is credited with being the father of modern pistolcraft. He thought the standard issue sights on a stock original 1911 were too small to quickly pick up in an emergency. They can be shot very well, but perhaps not as quickly as a larger more visable sight. Doesn't have to be adjustables, though I really liked the lo-mount Bomars I had on my Colt, a good set of well regulated fixed sights that you can see, is in my book money well spent.

I have really like my 1911s over the years, like Griff above, back when I shot PPC I got generally higher scores with revolvers than the Gold Cup I owned at the time. But when I started shooting IPSC, the auto was much superior. These days, I no longer compete but still love the 1911. Mine serves for home defense and for fun. With a 200gr SWC and 5grs of Bullseye its accurate enough for small game. Don't know that I don't prefer it over a good .357 or .44 revolver for general all around use.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I guess I'm not a fan compared to some of the numbers here; I only have 2. A Colt Combat Commander in SS and a Springfield TRP. Great shooters both.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Buff Boy, thanks for the tip....now do I change what I'm doing and resight in all my 1911's, knowing I have a tendency to consistently do that, or leave them alone and keep my consistent bad habit? :D

Ed
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Lastmohecken wrote:
Travis Morgan wrote:
Griff wrote:
Yes, if you are going to compete in IPSC or IDPA, or NRA, bullseye, or whatever, you need a good set of sights. But even IDPA is an excersize in gamesmanship, although it is still geared towards self defense, and playing games is still different then real life. For just pure self defense, as a civilian, I don't feel all that disavantaged with GI sights, because If I need a gun in that arena, It's probably going to be close and fast, and I don't even see much need for even night sights. However, if I was a cop, then I would want better sights.
Why hobble yourself with crappy sights? What if you have to make a precise shot in low light to save a family member?
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

longhair1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longhair1957 »

As you can see on my Colt Delta Elite 10mm I had Novak "extreme duty adjustables" with a new dovetailed front Novak as well put on. The are also the 3 dot tritium that you may or may not want as an option. (not everyone likes tritium, but the sight has other options, but considering your situation you may want to see them in low light)
I had these installed by a gentleman up here in Phx a little north of you I know (Gordon at BigBore Firearms, He specializes in 1911's). he did a great job and I am very happy with this addition, and considering I have owned this weapon for going on 25 years or so, that is saying something. They are very well built sights .
see the Novak sight here:
http://www.novaksights.com/extreme_duty ... _sight.htm

And my fine weapon here:
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

mescalero1 wrote:You need a high capacity rifle in additon to the 1911, I did not realize where you lived!

:P Now, now mescalero1. That's not very PC of you!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Not PC....
but prudent
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

mescalero1 wrote:Not PC....
but prudent
Amen! True words spoken.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Well, gee, I thought that area was just LITTERED with machine guns the illegals are running to the south?!?!? You probably oughta just go pick up some claymores at the gas station, then set 'em along your fenceline.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

In addition to the GP100, I have a Mossberg 500 12 ga., my son has a Mosin-Nagant M44, and I have a Henry Lever Action 22. We can hold 'em off while the Border Patrol responds. :mrgreen:
Mark Dickinson
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

The real narco-cowboys are well armed
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

Thankfully, those guys head straight for the mountains just beyond us. No place to hide where I am.
Mark Dickinson
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I didn't read all of the others post, so it is likely what I say will be redundant. From age 16 to 21, a Remington-Rand 1911A1 was the only centerfire handgun I owned, so I used it for everything. I carried it on foot, horse and in vehicles and use it for personal protection, plinking, target shooting, small game and deer hunting. It did it all I every asked of it.

I have owned a couple dozen 1911s over the years, but I still prefer the stock 1911A1 configuration, with no add ons on gee-gaws. I like the short trigger, arched mainspring housing and fixed sights.

Currently I have a 2005 vintage Colt Govt. Model. I installed an arched steel mainspring housing and short trigger. I owned a pair of 1911A1 Noringos that I added better sights and touched up the triggers.

You asked what are they good for? They are good for whatever you want a pistol to do.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Terry Murbach wrote:SHOW OR TELL ME AGAIN WHERE THE LEVER IS ON THESE GUNS, BOYS....
Under the trigger, where it belongs! Wassa matta you??
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Travis Morgan wrote:
Why hobble yourself with crappy sights? What if you have to make a precise shot in low light to save a family member?[/quote]

I agree, with you, I don't like crappy sights, either. My custom 45's all wear adjustable Bomars, and I have one Kimber Custom Compact 4 inch gun with high profile fixed sights, which I often carry in a Sparks Summer Special, but I don't consider stock GI sights as being nessarly crappy if they shoot where they look, and I have a Springfield Mil-spec lightweight model with a 4 inch barrel that still has the GI sights. I know they have certain limitations, but certain advantages, so I keep this gun as is, regarding sights, because those low profile sights can't hang up on my clothes, shirttail etc. And while I know all of the down sides to carrying mexican style (pistol in jeans, without a holster), I still find it nessary to do so, or at the very least, I am unwilling to go to any more trouble then just sticking it in my belt, on some occasions, and any other sight in this case has the potential to snag on clothing.

Besides, I don't intend on taking hostage shots at 25 yds with it, anyway, although I could probably still make the shot with the GI sights. But at 5 to 7 yds, I don't even need any sights on a 1911 when it's set up right for me. I have won many trophys with sighted fire, but I also practice point shooting, using the Sykes & Fairbairn methods.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Lastmohecken wrote:[........ but I also practice point shooting, using the Sykes & Fairbairn methods.

Where could I learn more about these? Also, I wouldn't dream of taking a 25 yard "hostage shot" with a handgun, unless things were just right.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I have had very good luck with Crimson Traces Laser Grip on my Colt 1991A1.(LG 301)
Now having it on, I cant imagine not having it!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Lastmohecken wrote:
Travis Morgan wrote:
but I also practice point shooting, using the Sykes & Fairbairn methods.

Sweet. I saw an exhibition someone put on at Ft Benning using these methods and it was impressive
----- Doug
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Travis Morgan wrote:
Lastmohecken wrote:[........ but I also practice point shooting, using the Sykes & Fairbairn methods.

Where could I learn more about these? Also, I wouldn't dream of taking a 25 yard "hostage shot" with a handgun, unless things were just right.

There is a little book titled "Shooting to Live" by Capt. W.E. Fairbairn and Capt. E.A. Sykes. I have had mine for many years, but you can probably still find it, maybe on Amazon.com, or a google search. It's old and maybe a bit dated, but still worth reading.
NRA Life Member, Patron
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

I had a Detonics Mk VI .45 in stainless. Sold it after my divorce so I could eat.

I'm interested in getting a Springfield GI MICRO 3" when I can locate one.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

DBW wrote:I had a Detonics Mk VI .45 in stainless. Sold it after my divorce so I could eat.

Unfortunately, i had to sell a few over the years when i was just starting out in life --- no SA's or leverguns, but i still wish i had 'em all back

I also want one of the baby Springfield GI models to match my full size. Since we both frequent the same gun shops (H & H, etc) -- maybe we'll score one of these days
----- Doug
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

Mark
I have a rock island armory 1911 45 auto with 5 inch barrel and it is the GI model and it works just fine and it didn't cost me the family homestead either. Where you live I would get the 1911 model A2 I think and it is a double stack mag instead of a single.
My lets me shoot 100% in the range most pistols are intended to be used for. I also have a 1911 in 38 super and a browning high power the old ones that I use 147 grain hp the police bullet and I have 14 of them to let you know you stopped at the wrong house.
Yes you can spend thousands for a 1911 but the bottom line is which is more important a good 1911 at a good price and lots of ammo to learn how it works or a very expensive excellent 1911 that you can't afford to fire.
Something else I would have were you live is a ruger ranch rifle with 40 round mags and lots of them. I don't like the black guns because of personal reasons nothing more. Make sure you can test fire that ranch rifle or return it if it doesn't work for you yes they can be problem prone too. I like the 85 series which is the newest as they have the best accuracy of all so far.
Something else you have to remember is that there are a lot of us who learned on the worst 1911's that the military had and we still learned just fine. The first one they gave me rattled like a box of bolts which I gave back and asked for one that all the pieces where the way they came from the factory not all broken and jammed into a piece of metal.
I have also noticed lately that I really don't use the sights anymore and I am doing much better with my shooting. I loaned mine to another DAV who needed to have a pistol to shoot and event where we were and he had one that FTE but that was all and when he handed it back he said he was going to get one for himself as he had not had one that worked that good in a very long time.
If you get a new one make sure you put a lot of rounds through it before you do anything or change anything. Mine took around 750 rounds before it started to work the way I wanted then went to hp's and now am moving to lead cast and I shoot only 230 grains bullet weight just me though. Even the lead bullets I am going to use look like the ball ammo in shape.
just my ideas.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

TW, if anyone's interested, I have a RIA Government model I'm kinda wanting to sell; just not my thing.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

shdwlkr, the RIA is definietly on the short list for me when I've gotten my money together. I've read lots about them and the reports are overwhelmingly positive.
Mark Dickinson
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

Mark
they are not the best but they are far from the worst. You have to remember they are rated to shoot ball ammo and I have had good luck with hollow points and haven't seen it show much difference between brands either. A few weeks ago I used it to do my training with a pistol and did just fine and scored 100% on the targets and it only fte one round and then never skipped a beat.
They are very much a pistol as you get better you can upgrade if you feel you have to but other than some small stuff mine will remain GI issue which what I wanted. It takes a beating and keeps on ticking. I have around 1000 rounds through mine so far and only a very few ftf or fte which most occurred when I was breaking it in which is normal.
Do a web search for the test they did on them a while ago and see how well it did compared to the higher priced stuff. the RIA came out just fine while some of the higher priced stuff failed.
heres a few to look at
http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/RIA2.htm
http://www.gunblast.com/RKCampbell_ArmyPistol.htm
have to see if I can find the one where they put in water and other stuff and it still worked
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Streetstar wrote:
DBW wrote:I had a Detonics Mk VI .45 in stainless. Sold it after my divorce so I could eat.

Unfortunately, i had to sell a few over the years when i was just starting out in life --- no SA's or leverguns, but i still wish i had 'em all back

I also want one of the baby Springfield GI models to match my full size. Since we both frequent the same gun shops (H & H, etc) -- maybe we'll score one of these days
Last time I was in H&H they were pretty much out of 1911 stuff. So I bought my Uberti .357 and Ruger 22/45 just so I could say it wasn't a wasted trip. :)
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

i have the colt 1911 .45 and the desert eagle baby eagle in .45 acp...
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

OJ wrote: Image

The only "mods" I've done are ... and Gunsite Low Mount Thumb Safeties ... all done by me.

:mrgreen:
Hey, and I thought I was the ONLY one who loves his Gunsite safety!!!

Please tell me: what is recommended by the Coronel himself and condemned by his followers, or why did it drop out of favour???

Greetings from the Middle of Europe, Hermann

( quite "clean" on buying guns now, I´ve moved to watches )

( DEFINITELY more expensive, but I do "carry" more often ;-))