Stepping into a new world. Casting.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pete-driver
Levergunner 1.0

Stepping into a new world. Casting.

Post by pete-driver »

As stated I plan to enter the world of casting. Today I will center my questions around lube-sizing.
First, what press, Rcbs, Lyman, Lee? I hope to find a used one.

Second, sizers top punches, do they interchange between brands? Rcbs Lyman ect.

Thanks for your help. John
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Stepping into a new world. Casting.

Post by TomF »

Castboolits@gunloads.com is a great place to hang out.

TomF
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I cast boolits for two calibers; 44 and 357. I don't own a lubersizer and don't plan to get one. I only lube up 100 - 200 at a time so I pan lube and/or tumble load with liquid alox. To size my cast boolits I use Lee push through dies. Depending on which gun I plan to shoot them in I'll use .430" to .432" and .357" to .358"; very simple, very accurate. Some of the boolits I cast/shoot don't require sizing and I can tumble lube or pan lube and load. It is very important to know (slug) the bore size and/or the chamber throat size if casting for a revolver to keep leading down and for better accuracy.

First I would suggest Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook which has lots of good info on casting, sizing, lubing, alloys, load data, etc. Casting is a very rewarding addition to handloading and fun too. I've been known to cast up a couple hundred boolits and then return them to the pot to be cast again!
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've been using a Lyman lubesizer for years, it's all I've needed and works fine even if it leaks a little. I also use the LEE liquid alox for certain applications.

RCBS and Lyman sizing dies and top punches will interchange.

The RCBS cast bullet manual is good to read, as is the Lyman book.
NRA Life Member
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I just use Lee Alox and Lee sizer dies that fit right in my press. The Alox lube comes with the sizer die, and goes a long way; you're only in for about $25 per sizer.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I suggest that you keep it simple (KISS) to begin with.

A mold,simple pot,ladle,Lee push through die, Lee Liquid Alox or SPG for pan lubing.
You can expand as you grow and that will give you more time to locate those things that seem like you cant live without . You can build very accurate ammo with simple tools. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If you're only loading for 1 or 2 cartridges, or all pistol calibers or all rifle calibers where one lube'll do ya... (pun intended) then certainly the KISS method'll work well. The Lee equipment is inexpensive... but I can't say how well it works, never used it.

I;ve used an RCBS sizer for many years.. it works very wel, extremely precise & consist boolits. Changing lubes isn't fun; and since I cast for hi-speed rifle, slow pistol and BP, (each of which really prefers a different lube), I recently picked up a Seaco Lubri-sizer for its larger capacity to use with the .409, .452 & .459 BP boolits. I'm also keeping ½ an eye out for another RCBS or Lyman Lubri-sizer to use w/rifle loads.

Lyman & RCBS dies & top punches will interchange; AFAIK, neither will interchange with Lee or Seaco.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

If you want the best, a Star is the way to go.

Magma Research has the Star. And if you want the top of the Casting Eqpt. Check out the Master-Caster.

Do not look unless ya have deep-pockets. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

mikld wrote:I've been known to cast up a couple hundred boolits and then return them to the pot to be cast again!
Me too, but that was because the boolits were junk :cry:
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

For all things cast the ultimate go to guy is Veral Smith http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,114.0.html Here is where you can ask him questions. His book "Jacketed bullet Performance from Cast Bullets" Will take you to a new level.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.