OT- Bear Problem

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

OT- Bear Problem

Post by 66GTO »

I never thought I'd be saying this, but we have a problem bear in our suburban neighborhood. I live in the Pensacola, Florida area (extreme NW panhandle) on a small bayou not far from the Interstate. This morning I found my trash can upset and the contents spread in the yard. My neighbor had the same thing and found bear tracks.

About an hour ago I heard the unmistakable sound of a trash can falling, went for my flashlight and found every can on the street turned over (pick up is tomorrow AM). Shined my light across in the neighbors yard and two eyes reflected back at me! Now I am no bear expert like a lot you fellows, but down on all fours he looked to be 250 or 300 lbs.

He came up on another neighbors back porch and they saw a green tag on him, so I assume he has been a problem bear before and has tagged and relocated. He also started scratching a tree in another neighbors yard.

My neighbor across the street called the Game Commission and they seemed unconcerned. Easy for them to be unconcerned, it isn't turning over their trash. They said you can't even shoot it with a BB gun to scare it off.

Any ideas on how to get rid of this black bruin?
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT- Bear Problem

Post by Gun Smith »

In our part of the country (Oregon coast) a fed bear is a dead bear. No matter where they take a bear he will come back to where he was feeding. They are destroyed around here. That should be done before someone is injured or killed in your neighborhood. Relocating bears is a waste of time and money. Hard to accept but the truth.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

SSS
NRA Life Member
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

what I was going to say
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

TedH wrote:SSS
Going to be hard to do in this suburban neighborhood. The "shutup" part would be doable, but the shooting and shoveling part would be noticed! :(

The latest update from the neighbors is that the bear has TWO tags, one in each ear. When that was relayed to the Game Warden, it finally got his attention. He said the bear is a problem bear that has been captured and released twice already. They will send an officer and a biologist out tomorrow to investigate and set a trap.

I agree with GunSmith on this one. I think that bear is not long for this world. Three strikes and you are out. There just aren't any places in Florida far enough away from civilization to release a bear where he can't find his way back into trouble.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

They might need to ship that one out west. Air drop him into the Rockies. :D
NRA Life Member
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

They can ship him to Ohio.

We can use a new face around here.

The way people are moving out of this area you could drop him right down town and no one
would notice for a week!

Don't know where the heck everybody is going but half our county is up
for sale or already been repossesed.

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I don't have the trash can issue , but I have to take my birdfeeders in every night. They seem to like sunflowers seeds and suet cake sandwiches.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

set out some chocalate x-lax
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sounds like a bear not long for this world.

Goat, when you say you can't even shoot it with a BB gun to scare it off, do you mean you aren't allowed to or it won't bother it? If it won't bother it sounds like time for some less lethal rubber bullets or bean bags. Them suckers hurt no matter whose taking the hit. You have to be kind of close, but that doesn't sound like a problem. Might not be able to shoot legally in your area though.

I just know I wouldn't want to be looking around all the time for a bear when I went outside that's accustomed to ignoring humans.

Hopefully, the Game Commission will get a quick handle on it.
Old Law Dawg
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

We have the same problem here in my neighborhood. A large sow and her fairly large cub are tipping over the cans on the nights before garbage day. Then, during the day, they come along the backs of the houses and pull down all of the full bird feeders and eat the seeds. They also like to stroll through open garages.

It worries me that my 6 year old girl will run into it while out in the yard or on the dock.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Uh, put the cans out in the morning...?
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Shoot him at night; close range, in the head with 12 ga. slugs. Then, leave him laying in the road. Then shut up. Don't report it, don't tell us about it, just shut up. You were on Tylenol PM's and didn't hear any gunshots. Folks rarely report one gunshot, and cops rarely bother investigating.

PICK UP YOUR HULLS!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Or maybe you need a popcorn ball in your trash loaded with a full bottle of Tylenol PM....Bear takes a nap and never wakes up?

Ed
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I was going to say poison, people poison cats all the time for getting into the garbage.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Uh, put the cans out in the morning...?
He got into mine the night before I put it out. Everyone keeps the cans next to their house until pick up. I don't want a stinking garbage can in my garage, even if there was room for it, which there isn't. My tool shed has thin aluminum siding which he would just rip through. If the problem persists I may have to rig a lock on the lid. I could put some of those useless padlocks to use that come with every gun I purchase.

Kimwcook, the "can't shoot with a BB gun" is per the Game Warden!

Funny thing is the gators that show up under my dock don't really bother me because I usually know right where they are, plus they stay out of my garbage :mrgreen: I even hooked a small gator on a top water plug once, just for fun. Luckily he turned it loose when I got him close. And as far as SSS goes with gators, I once saw a 7 foot gator floating belly up in the bayou with a hole in his head. It wasn't me, I promise!

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

[quote="66GTO"][quote=Kimwcook, the "can't shoot with a BB gun" is per the Game Warden!/quote]

BB guns are pretty quiet.
Old Law Dawg
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

you sure it's a bear?
Could be a Haitian dressed as a bear. Try some regae music first and lead him outa state
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

TedH wrote:They might need to ship that one out west. Air drop him into the Rockies. :D
Got enough bears of our own, thank you...

One favorite tactic of the Game & Fish boys here is to "Cross-Transplant" problem bears...
Take a bear from one over(bear)-populated area and dump him in a different overpopulated area. Some of these bears seem to delight in getting caught, just for the thrill of the drugs & the chopper ride...

Then the nest time around they'll take a bear from the 2nd area and drop it into the first area, basically equalizing the bruin population again.

All too often, the drop zone is very close to ranches and/or recreation sites, such as campgrounds. The PR information is never clear as to just where the bears are placed, but there are enough eye-witness accounts to verufy the facts...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

silverbuzzard wrote:you sure it's a bear?
Could be a Haitian dressed as a bear. Try some regae music first and lead him outa state
No Haitians in this part of the state (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Pensacola ... cola%20map) . They are about 700 miles down the road from here in Miami. It could be one of my LA (Lower Alabama) relatives playing a prank :D

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

And whatever you do, dont accidentally leave a 1 gallon container of anti-freeze out; as most critters love the taste of it!! :)
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

Had a cousin that was that hairy,made his livin barkin for the yaak women at the carnival
YA Buck ,I lived in western montana and the dumbos kept movin the bears around when they got in trouble. Trouble was when they moved em, they didn't know where the food was so they went straight to the garbage cans. Brilliant idea
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Do you have a bow? A broad head in the boiler room is quiet and effective plus they cant be traced via ballistics.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Paint Ball Gun. Orange sits well on Black!
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Hm given the circumstances and the fact that you have posted about it on the web I suspect that the best you can safely do is render your trash unpalletable. Say some extremly hot hot sauce. Of course my luck would be that the dang bear would like hot sauce.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I really feel sorry for the poor fellas whose habitat is reduced to the point that they have to prey on garbage cans :roll: Drop 'em in SE Oklahoma, there is still a l ittle bit of room to roam here !
----- Doug
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Drop 'em in the reas where they have hog problems. Problem solved. :D
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

Wire your trash can to a fence charger. That should be entertaining. :lol:
One favorite tactic of the Game & Fish boys here is to "Cross-Transplant" problem bears...
Take a bear from one over(bear)-populated area and dump him in a different overpopulated area.
It's called "job security". Your tax dollars at work. :x
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

PaulB wrote:Wire your trash can to a fence charger. That should be entertaining. :lol:
Take a bear from one over(bear)-populated area and dump him in a different overpopulated area.
It's called "job security". Your tax dollars at work. :x
I'd love to see a video of that!
Old Law Dawg
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

How bout making a bear gun on the lines of a potatoe gun !!?!!!! Talk about fun KABLOOOY
In all seriousness, if he won't leave ya alone, let him live with you. Let him watch FOX everyday and on voting day we just gained one more vote, HEY we could do that with all kinds of animals, the Demon crats do !
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

2ndovc wrote:They can ship him to Ohio.

We can use a new face around here.

The way people are moving out of this area you could drop him right down town and no one
would notice for a week!

Don't know where the heck everybody is going but half our county is up
for sale or already been repossesed.

jb
I live in SW Ohio and last week there was supposedly a bear running around the Clinton/Highland County area, but I've not heard anything new since Friday night.
There was one sighted in Clinton Co. a few years ago and the DNR ended up trapping it in Highland or Ross Co.; from what I heard it wandered through Kentucky from West Virginia and into Ohio.
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

few years ago, a wolf with radio collar on was found shot outside of Muncie Indiana [ even with Indy !]
Was collared in the UP of Michigan
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

No further signs of the bear for the past two nights. And no signs of the Wildlife Commission employees either. I thought he might show up again last night because my son went fishing yesterday and I cleaned several snapper and a king mackeral, then cooked them on the back deck for supper last night. There was plenty of fresh fish smell around from the cleaning and cooking, but Mr. Bear was not seen. He may have been around and I just missed him but no signs of him rummaging about.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

FWIW... Since there is very little report...

A 12ga loaded with "Dragon's Breath" loads make a great Bear Deterrent and you don't have to worry about your backstop...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!