45 Colt Tree Cutters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

45 Colt Tree Cutters

Post by 86er »

Yesterday (Sunday) Ricky and I were cleaning up the Honey Creek-Black Cat Ranch, a mutual interest with CRS and JShepherd that holds our precious deer and hogs until the appropriate season. We could not get the chainsaw started so we did what any good levergunner would do. We shot down the tree with a 45 Colt. The ammo featured Cast Performance 265gr bullets loaded hot. After I blasted the tree six times it was sufficiently soft that a few swipes of the machete fell it. It was 5"-6" round. One bullet failed to penetrate the tree and was expanded to a diameter or .65 on the end. A call to Grizzly Cartridge resulted in an answering machine taking my frantic message. What great customer service, Mike called me back a short while later. He apologized for the confusion. You see, he recommends the 265 gr loads only for trees up to 4" in diameter. For the size trees we were shooting he recommends his 335 gr bullets and he offered to send out a bunch pronto. :D A few smaller trees easily fell from the machete swipes. Two large branches were around 15 feet off the ground. From the treestand I didn't want to shoot them so I chopped them both down with much effort, aches and pains. About the time I was squinting from sweat in my eyes and panting from the rapid machete swings in 95 degree weather Ricky decided to unclog the airfilter on the chainsaw and start it right up. Thanks Pal! Anyway, if you are going tree killing with your levergun 1) Use the appropriate bullet for the size tree you are shooting, and 2) Make sure your friend starts the chainsaw a few times before you get there. :wink:
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
piller
Posting leader...

Re: 45 Colt Tree Cutters

Post by piller »

What would we all do without helpful friends. :lol: Sort of reminds me of the joke about the store owner selling the old backwoodsman the chainsaw. When he brought it back and said it didn't work, the store owner started it. The backwoodsman jumped back and hollered, "What's that noise?" Be careful, we don't want you guys leaning too far out of the treestand and getting hurt.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

One of my favorite side team events that used to be held in SASS matches was the "Tree Cuttin'"! It's when the .45Colt and .44WCF leverguns really shined! Those boys with the .38s were jealous as the .45Colt equipped teams chopped their tree down with only a few shots.

One time in CA, 5 of us lined up and each picked a spot along the line marking the bottom of the range where the "tree" had to be cut! One volley and the upper half was hanging by a sliver! A final shot in the top of the post and it broke in half. It was kinda of a "ringer" team! :P Several past & current champions!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

:lol: :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Dad had my brother take down a "widdermaker" limb that was hanging over the driveway several years back. Lil brother had his 375 H&H there at the time, and reported that they make danged fine chainsaw replacements!

Ed
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Shot a whitetail deer THRU a 4" alder with a .54 Cal RB.....doe and the tree hit the ground about the same time....I'm guessing the RB was about .70 or so at the time.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .45 »

Years ago A buddy and I used to "cut" trees with .22's!
Ammo was cheap and lots of fun.
Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens... and the unforeseeable that which your life becomes.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I shot down a couple of tangled sycamores 12" in diameter which were bowed under a huge storm-felled willow tree in the woods - all hanging over our favorite walking path. The 12" trees were both bowed horizontal about 10 feet above the ground, so there was so much strain I wasn't going anywhere NEAR them with a saw.

Less than 20 rounds of surplus ball ammo fired into one of the sycamores brought the whole mess down from a safe distance. Pretty FUN too!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

We used to take down wasp nest in trees by taking out the branches with a .22. Lots of fun. Not exactly safe shooting up into the air, but 20/20 hindsight is usually better than what you get when you are there and having fun! :lol:
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

If 86er would of just waited an hour or so while I worked of the chain saw he wouldn't of been so tired when we went home. Heck, I must of cut down three times as much as he did in alot less time once the saw started :lol: . Although using the 45 was alot more fun.
Ricky

DWWC
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've found a 45 makes a decent drill when you dont have a cordless or enough cord to reach the project. Also used a 22 a couple times to cut a board under a cabin that was out of reach otherwise, and some plastic plumbing that was no longer needed.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Tom Richardson
Shootist

Post by Tom Richardson »

How to drop a tree.

SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Malamute wrote:I've found a 45 makes a decent drill when you dont have a cordless or enough cord to reach the project. Also used a 22 a couple times to cut a board under a cabin that was out of reach otherwise, and some plastic plumbing that was no longer needed.

+1 on use as a drill. A .22 makes a fine drill for fence posts too if You don't need the .45 caliber hole.
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

You guys are nuts :lol:
when your enemy is within range so are you
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

TOM, that's a nice sized tree, how many shots did it take to fall it?
Ricky

DWWC
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Did anyone else here who was in the military ever attach a claymore to a tree using 100 mile an hour tape? I did once and it cut a tree about 16 to 17 inches in diameter apart. The side against the tree was the back side, not the "Front toward enemy" side. It was fun, but it didn't last long enough.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Tom Richardson
Shootist

Post by Tom Richardson »

Ricky,

That tree was shot many times by a bunch of folks.
The assault was led by the Rev. Jim Taylor at one of our CSA gatherings.
All trees that were originally in the shooting lanes are now shot down or blasted with Tannerite.
The good Rev. leads us on many strange paths.

TOM
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Tom Richardson wrote:Ricky,

All trees that were originally in the shooting lanes are now shot down or blasted with Tannerite.

TOM
:D :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Tom Richardson wrote:Ricky,

TOM
Tom,

Looks like a good time!
Ricky

DWWC
Tom Richardson
Shootist

Post by Tom Richardson »

You think that was fun? these old boys drove through our inpact area.

RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

WOW, talk about making a wrong turn!!! Shooting cars are alot of fun. The old ones are a lot tougher then some of the new stuff.
Ricky

DWWC