OT - Giant feral pig shot on Pilbara Cattle Station

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Giant feral pig shot on Pilbara Cattle Station

Post by don Tomás »

I remember seeing the pics a couple of years ago and I think even Snopes shot the story down. Here's a fresh take on the story...
Tom
(Hey, isn't JimT also a pastoralist? :) )

Giant feral pig shot on Pilbara cattle station(link)

MYSTERY SOLVED: This massive feral pig was shot on a Pilbara cattle station by pastoralist John Anick, pictured.

(Australia; near Newman, 1200km northeast of Perth): THIS giant feral pig was shot on a Pilbara cattle station after it was spotted eating a dead cow.The picture has been circulating on the internet alongside claims the boar was killed at various locations across Australia.

It was written off as a hoax by many, including WA's Department of Environment and Conservation, and sparked much debate when published on website PerthNow.

But The Sunday Times has confirmed that the pig was shot on a Pilbara cattle station near Newman, 1200km northeast of Perth.

Sources close to the family of the man in the photo have confirmed he is Pilbara pastoralist John Anick and the picture was taken on his property three years ago.

The family refused to talk about the giant boar, for fear that illegal pig hunters would flock to the area.

The source said the 220kg beast was eating a cow when it was first seen by workers mustering cattle in a helicopter. Mr Anick saw it again on a trip to check windmills on the property and shot it.

``I can vouch 100 per cent, I don't even have to say 90 per cent, that it (the photo) was taken in the Pilbara and it is who I said it is,'' the source said.

This reader comment was left on the PerthNow report this week: ``Information I have on this photo is that it was shot by John Anick ... During muster a helicopter spotted it and when told John drove out and shot it! Many sausages were made and eaten, so I'm told!''

DEC spokesman Nigel Higgs said the picture was a fake.

``There are some pigs at De Grey River, east of Port Hedland, and some domestic pigs gone wild near Savory Creek, 200km east of Newman, but they are small and pink,'' he said.

Another source working in Perth claimed to have scanned the original photograph into a computer.

Hoax-Slayer.com says an article in the January 2007 edition of Sporting Shooter also states the boar was shot on a cattle station in the Pilbara.

There are estimated to be more than 23million feral pigs roaming the nation, predominantly in New South Wales, Queensland and the Northern Territory.

They prey on native species and destroy habitats.

The DEC has culled hundreds in the state's South-West over the past two years.
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Giant feral pig shot on Pilbara Cattle Station

Post by 2ndovc »

You beat me to it!

Just read that on CNN.

Bet that was a whole lot of sausage! :shock:

Article says 220kg. That thing sure looks like it weighed more than 485 lbs.

Looks like a there's a rifle hanging off his shoulder. Can't tell.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

NICE! I'll bet that's some stinky old meat, though.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

2ndovc wrote:You beat me to it!

Just read that on CNN.

Bet that was a whole lot of sausage! :shock:

Article says 220kg. That thing sure looks like it weighed more than 485 lbs.

Looks like a there's a rifle hanging off his shoulder. Can't tell.

jb 8)
Yeah looks more like 800 pounds. And I don't see any rifle - besides, what would a pig be doing with a rifle? :lol:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sure hate to have that thing after me. What minimum size rifle or handgun do you think you'd need? Just kidding. Couldn't help it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Law Dawg
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I was wondering what happened to rosie odonald
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

:shock: :lol: :lol:
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

I see the rifle but but the pig looks like a big duroc boar thats gotten too big for breeding. It looks exactly like one I seen at an auction in west texas. When it came across the scales, it was 895lbs. Nobody wanted the thing because it would cripple a sow. Still brought $.15 per pound.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

That is a big pig, even if it is a photo trick,I don't know. We just shoot them in the stomach and let them run to where they want to die. They are pest and we have plenty of pork in the freezer. I killed one today. Not as big as that one, but plenty big. I wouldn't want to clean that one. What a smell!
"That'll Be The Day"
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'm betting he shot it in the ear. That's the best medicine for something like that - especially if your afoot :shock:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Do I believe it was shot in Australia? Yes,
Do I believe it was shot in WA? Possibly,
But Newman is about 300 miles from the DeGrey river at Hedland, and its 300 miles of dry, rockhard country that gets about 16" of rain in a good year. Its hard country on donkeys and dingoes, let alone a water loving pig.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Gundownunder,
Thanks for the info, now this is critical thinking.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

RIHMFIRE wrote:I was wondering what happened to rosie odonald
RIHMFIRE, you owe me a keyboard!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I'll pay for the keyboard, that post was worth it!
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

You really think it got that big as a feral pig?
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

rangerider7 wrote:That is a big pig, even if it is a photo trick,I don't know. We just shoot them in the stomach and let them run to where they want to die. They are pest and we have plenty of pork in the freezer. I killed one today. Not as big as that one, but plenty big. I wouldn't want to clean that one. What a smell!
Pest or not, they deserve a clean kill or at least a relatively quick kill.

It's BS to gut-shoot any animal and leave it to die a slow death.

Just my .02¢
ED
Yer never too old
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Most of the time I'm using a Winchester 86 in 33 WCF. I aim for the back of the shoulder or a little lower. I try to get under the shield. Sometimes I don't hit the target, but with exit wound is so big they don't run over 100 yards. Some don't take a step. I don't want to miss them. They are tearing up our plots and fences. They wreak havoc on the ranch and reproduce like rabbits. I want go into all the things they do, it would take too long. I do the same with coyotes. I have seen them rip newborns from the cow as they are coming out. They fight over them and grab each end and tear them to pieces. Then they go for the rear of the cow while they are weak and take them down. They start at the genitalia and work forward. We lost twins and the cow this way before we could get our gun out of the pick-up and loaded. We heard her bawling but could not locate her in time. That cow would have died a horrible death but we were there and took her out of her misery. Hogs will eat anything. They can be predators or flee-rs. I guess you would call them opportunist.
"That'll Be The Day"
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I can remember about 20 years ago my wife and I were taking a horse ride, on Catalina Island. Our guide was the Chief of the FD. I saw these hill sides "plowed" up and asked what they were going to plant. He said that's what the pigs have done. :shock: A few years later CA F&G did a depradation hunt and eliminated the population.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

They're hell on net wire fences.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

The wild hogs we have in Texas will kill and eat young fawns and calves if the opportunity arises. They also eat young quail and turkeys. There is a lot more to learn about feral hogs and what effect they have on the wildlife and environment in which they live (or die).
"That'll Be The Day"
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

rangerider7 wrote:The wild hogs we have in Texas will kill and eat young fawns and calves if the opportunity arises. They also eat young quail and turkeys. There is a lot more to learn about feral hogs and what effect they have on the wildlife and environment in which they live (or die).
It'd be more apropos to ask what they won't eat!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

rangerider7 wrote:The wild hogs we have in Texas will kill and eat young fawns and calves if the opportunity arises. They also eat young quail and turkeys. There is a lot more to learn about feral hogs and what effect they have on the wildlife and environment in which they live (or die).
I know all the negatives to hogs and coyotes. Hogs are harder to control but coyotes can be controlled somewhat by bringing in a group of shooters and having them concentrate on coyotes. That is what several ranchers do here in our area.

Mountain lions have been a problem here in the past but the ranchers started puting llamas in the fields with the cattle and the mountain lion problem was solved. They also found that llamas killed coyotes too. A rancher down the road from me put llamas in with his cattle and hasn't lost one cow or calf to mountain lions or coyotes since.
ED
Yer never too old