I think the stockpiling is starting to slow down

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

I think the stockpiling is starting to slow down

Post by salvo »

At least I hope so :? (Stockpiling sounds better than hording) :lol:
Went to BassPro today and the ammo shelves are not as bare, I even bought a couple of boxes of Winchester SuperX 40 gr. .22Mag (My favorite) for $9.50 a box. The brass was all stocked up, no .44 Special though :cry: and the bullet selection is growing. Still no powder and primers though!
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Re: I think the stockpiling is starting to slow down

Post by Noah Zark »

Local dealers are saying that the buying spree ended with the first week in May.

No evil black rifles are selling anymore.

Ammo buyers are not in an "anxious panic" anymore.

The shops stocked up on reloading supplies and nobody's buying anything but primers.

Primers are starting to fill the pipeline.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I think RimfireMcNutjob is looking for that winchester mag stuff.
AT LAST!
A return to sanity.
I was allright during this crisis as I was prepared.
What I was NOT prepared for was a lesson in panic buying and mob psychology that I witnessed.
As this forum is my primary contact with reasonable people, I had no outlet for my internal dialog; I kept saying to myself just stop, there is no need for this, these people are exasperating the situation.
But critical thinking was not to be had.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Your right about the AR's all the gun shops around here are loaded full of them.
I'm still set pretty good except for a .204 Ruger Contender and Ruger .44 Special I bought since the anointment. I NEED some H4895 and some .44 Special brass!!!
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

I was able to buy pistol primers by the thousand again this week. I also was able to buy xtp bullets in 44, 45 and 10mm today. Along with W231 & 296. No 2400 or Bullseye. They even had a few cans of Varget. I've heard it is really hard to get.

More ammo has come in but still no .380. Not that I need any, I loaded myself 500.

My local store says firearm sales have really slowed down. They have several ARs and AK staying on the shelves.

So yeah, it does sound like things are settling down.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

The local toy store got in a load of primers and powder and a small mountain of Hornaday XTP boolits. All I needed was a jug of Bullseye but there were quite a few guys picking up primers and powder. Like a fool I went browsing around and a Ruger Vaquero Bisley,blued and wearing white grips started whispering sweet nothings in my ear so I had to coon-finger it a little bit and man did it feel nice,.45 Colt,5 1/2" bbl. in perfect condition with a trigger that's like glass. It followed me home. :wink:
They also had a new looking Browning BL-22 on the rack but I was out of cash by then. They had several EBR's on the rack too.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

We're still selling ARs, can't keep primers (although we've gotten a few Federals), have gotten some IMR and Alliant powders, waiting on bullets, can't get .380, .45 ACP ball or .45 Colt. Can't get enough or keep very long MODERN .380 ACP guns. Have a Browning 1910 (about 1968) with the rug that is VERY nice but it has been here almost 9 months. We didn't seem to have many hoarders (yours truly excluded) but Walmart stays sold out even though they hide their stuff under the register counter rather than putting it in the case. They get a shipment in every day and have been selling it by 1100 AM. SHOTGUN ammo of the buckshot variety or .410 (mostly for the Judge users) is slow to arrive. Some powders are VERY difficult to get with the commonality being appropriateness to the .223/5.56mm cartridge. VARGET, W748 are more than scarce.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Alot of you guys are seeing things get better locally, but here, not quite yet. I'm on the east coast of central Florida. While I buy bullets from the online guys (when they're in stock, which is still not often enough) our Wally World is - as of yesterday - still out of stock of everything except a few 12 guage loads.

I've developed a habit of stopping in Wally World darn near every time I need to drive past it, just to check things out. Their shelves have been pitifully bare for months, and still are.

Glad to see that alot of you guys are seeing things calm down in your areas. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Lots of EBR's on the racks around here. Primers are sparce, though I did get some Federals the other day. Hodgden powders seem hard to get still.
NRA Life Member
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

My local guy didn't seem to be affected much by the frenzy. He's never been overflowed mind you, but I could almost always find some CCI LR's and some powder that would work.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I'm here in Alabama right now where supply is definitely a lot higher than in Florida.

Wal-Mart had around 15 of the Win 100ct boxes and 10 of the 50rd boxes of Blazer 9mm.

In 22lr, they only had 4 boxes of Fed Bulk.

At the local gun store, they also had several boxes of 9mm and bulk 22s, but at their prices I'm sure that's the reason why.

I'm just glad I stocked up a couple of years ago at reasonable prices.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

"I'm just glad I stocked up a couple of years ago at reasonable prices."

Me too!
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Here in Portland the shelves are starting to have some ammo placed on them, but no powder or primers. Black rifles are becoming as easy to find as a Winchester 94.

Surprisingly, the real shortage is bulk (cheap) rimfire ammo.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hobie wrote:We're still selling ARs, can't keep primers (although we've gotten a few Federals), have gotten some IMR and Alliant powders, waiting on bullets, can't get .380, .45 ACP ball or .45 Colt. Can't get enough or keep very long MODERN .380 ACP guns. Have a Browning 1910 (about 1968) with the rug that is VERY nice but it has been here almost 9 months. We didn't seem to have many hoarders (yours truly excluded) but Walmart stays sold out even though they hide their stuff under the register counter rather than putting it in the case. They get a shipment in every day and have been selling it by 1100 AM. SHOTGUN ammo of the buckshot variety or .410 (mostly for the Judge users) is slow to arrive. Some powders are VERY difficult to get with the commonality being appropriateness to the .223/5.56mm cartridge. VARGET, W748 are more than scarce.
Do you guys at Nuckel's handle Accurate Arms or Viyhtavori powder ?

I need a close source when I get home for XMP5744 , XMR2015 and VV N-110 !

Also some VV N-120 would be nice !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

There's a small gunsmith/retail shop I help out at home with their Gunbroker stuff . Anyway they were nice enough to sell me five 50 round boxes of the Winchester USA 44 MAG 240 grain ammo for about $27 a box .

I looked at pretty much the same thing here in the Philippines the other day and it was $1.50 a ROUND after you did the exchange rate between the Philippine Peso and the American dollar ! So that works out to $75 for a 50 round box :o

I bought a box of Remington 22 LR HP Sub Sonics for my GF's brother and they were the equivalent of $6 for a 50 round box !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Other than me, it looks like there's not much local demand for .22Mag, so I've been able to buy all I could afford at my local WallyWorld - which still has signage to the effect that they have NO handgun or .22LR ammo left, listing everything missing.

OTOH, though - my local pusher's shelves are full of ammo, to the point that it's stacked on the shop floor.
When I asked him about the "shortage", he said the supply was"freeing up now" - but that particular FFL is profific/busy and I'm sure the distributors will take care of their most profitable customers first.

Yet another reason to patronize your local gunstore !

One of my friends, a Snowbird, just returned North for the Summer from Florida, and said every single source in SW Florida was tight or empty of ammo, with both primers and powder scarce & almost twice as expensive now, even when some are found at all.
He said bullets are marginally better, but he casts his own from a half-ton of lead he accumulated during his former employment (Ma Bell).

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I was actually able to buy a box of .308 yesterday at Mejier. First time I have seen it there in months they had 20 boxes on the self.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

6pt-sika wrote:
Hobie wrote:We're still selling ARs, can't keep primers (although we've gotten a few Federals), have gotten some IMR and Alliant powders, waiting on bullets, can't get .380, .45 ACP ball or .45 Colt. Can't get enough or keep very long MODERN .380 ACP guns. Have a Browning 1910 (about 1968) with the rug that is VERY nice but it has been here almost 9 months. We didn't seem to have many hoarders (yours truly excluded) but Walmart stays sold out even though they hide their stuff under the register counter rather than putting it in the case. They get a shipment in every day and have been selling it by 1100 AM. SHOTGUN ammo of the buckshot variety or .410 (mostly for the Judge users) is slow to arrive. Some powders are VERY difficult to get with the commonality being appropriateness to the .223/5.56mm cartridge. VARGET, W748 are more than scarce.
Do you guys at Nuckel's handle Accurate Arms or Viyhtavori powder ?

I need a close source when I get home for XMP5744 , XMR2015 and VV N-110 !

Also some VV N-120 would be nice !
Chris hasn't been handling either but did order some AA powders at least one of which was 5744. I hope we will!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Around here the black rifles never took off in price or sales like in other places. There were always a few to be had at "slightly" inflated prices and they didn't move much more than normal. The 22 ammo got a bit tight but seems to be tapering off with most of the places I've visited stocked(never checked a Wall Mart) with large quantities. Powders and bullets for the military calibers are tight yet. That has hit my buddy pretty hard as he ran out of some bullets and powders this last winter. He loads all winter to have stuff to sell year round.

223 and 308 ammo is still tough/expensive to get.

Primers are still a major glitch as most aren't available locally at any price. I use mostly SR, LP, and fortunately remembered the Clinton chaos, so I was well stocked before the election. I scored a couple bricks of both in February to make sure I didn't run out and some 55gr soft points for 223 at a good price.

I'm still looking for some Winchester 300 Savage brass(seasonal run). I can get Remington but the wife's hunting load is in the WW so I just as soon stay with that. I saw a pound of 748 in Pierre that I wish I'd gone ahead and picked up as that is also in the recipe. It seems nobody else has any. She doesn't shoot that much 300 so I should be good till it gets back in the pipeline.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

No improvement in loaded ammo or reloading components in my area as yet. Maybe it'll start to loosen up by the end of the summer but we'll just have to see. Like "Hobie" I started "hoarding" (buying smart) about two years ago and as a result I have plenty of loaded ammo and reloading components on hand. It seems the major components still lacking in the posts in this thread are powder and primers. Powder will probably be more available sooner than primers. Primers are the one component with most backorders.

Even if it takes two to four years (probably longer) for production of loaded ammo and reloading components to catch up to demand, I have more than enough of everything I need to see me through.
ED
Yer never too old
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Here in Central Florida things are still pretty tight as far as loaded ammo goes. My local Gander Mountain has a pile of Federal 22 shothells on the shelf just to make it look full. Otherwise, they are still relatively thin on 22 ammo.

Primer wise, this past week was very thin on primer activity at Natchez, Grafs, MidSouth, and Midway. I would actually say that this past week had the fewest items show up versus any week in the past couple of months. Prior weeks have seen a good number of Federal and Winchester primers come in ... a few Remington as well. I'm full up on primers but I'm still tracking the activity.

We are not blessed with a lot of reloading suppliers here in Central Florida. Some good gun shops, but they don't carry much in the way of reloader tools or supplies. There were primers at the most recent gun show here, but they were pretty much gone by noon of the first day. There were Winchester and Federal ... some for $35/k and some for $45/k.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
a357lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by a357lever »

the best one i saw last week was wolf 40sw 180 junk at "cheaper than dirt?" for 41$ box 50 :twisted:
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I agree with Rimfire on primer activity this past week at the big national suppliers -
it was pretty slow.

-Stretch
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

It never got all that bad in northern New England as reloading doesn't seem to be as popular an activity up here as it is in other regions. Still, when existing stock did finally dry up, there was no way for the dealers to get more. Loaded ammo is mixed. Wally worlds are picked pretty clean, unless you're after 30-30 ammo. that's still abundant and $10/box. I wish I owned one.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Just got back from big 5 sporting goods, still bare shelves.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Powder and primers are almost extinct around here, especially since Sportsman's Warehouse closed. Prior to that, the local ma & pa stores still had powder and primers even when Cabela's and Gander Mountain didn't since SW still seemed to stock. We didn't have the EBR rush as some parts of the country, probably since any local gun shop had hundreds in stock prior to the scare. They had a run on 'em, but never ran out of 'em. The last time I bought loaded ammo has been prior to the election run up last year (and that was a few thousand rounds of surplus 7.62 X 39, which is almost gone), but the local ma & pa's seem to have ammo overflowing the shelves, stacked in the corner, and hidden in trailers. The big boys are slim pick'ns.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

We're still in bad shape up here in AK. Just today I met up with a fella to swap primers so we could keep handloading. Hopefully the next few ships will restock the shops. After this past year I'm going to be sure to have ample supplies.
shawn45
Levergunner

Post by shawn45 »

I went to Academy yesterday and they had 22 shells by the brick, tons of 38's,357's, 9mm's, 223's amn 500 S&W. Its was a mix of Monarch and Winchester. The 22's were Thunderbolts and I only bought 2 bricks.
flb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flb »

If you advertise that you have tons of ammo and food, gold etc. in a real crisis you nor your family will last long. I would suggest keeping ones mouth shut. Many read these sites and many are not your friends. I have overheard conversations about who has what around my area and that concerns me, I tend to listen and say little.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I went to WalMart yesterday and they had a lot of 22 ammo for a change. Other than that just a little 243 and 30-06. My buddy at the local gun store says the spell has broken as far as gun buying though.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I could not keep the fact about the gold a secret if I wanted to, it is a matter of public record by law.
Anyone who wanted to could check the public record and find this information, and they have, several attempts have been made to wrest it from me; only the services of a competent attorney have prevented it.
It is gold, it brings out the worst in people, trust me I have witnessed it first hand.
My only other choice is to walk away from it, something I am unwilling to do.
I must report (as earnings ) whatever is taken out.
Keeping it a secret, while desireable, is just unrealistic.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

While the main push of the panic buying may have subsided, there is still hoarding and stocking up purchasing ;) going on to be sure. And it will take a long time for the manufacturers to catch up with the lower sales velocity/lower margin items.

And there's no guarantee that the whole thing won't start up again with the next obamination run at gun control...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Local sporting goods has pallets of .223 for $430 /1000, not flying out the door by any means.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Thats a good sign.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

mescalero1 wrote:I could not keep the fact about the gold a secret if I wanted to, it is a matter of public record by law.
Anyone who wanted to could check the public record and find this information, and they have, several attempts have been made to wrest it from me; only the services of a competent attorney have prevented it.
It is gold, it brings out the worst in people, trust me I have witnessed it first hand.
My only other choice is to walk away from it, something I am unwilling to do.
I must report (as earnings ) whatever is taken out.
Keeping it a secret, while desireable, is just unrealistic.
Could you elaborate on the how and why of such a thing happening, for those of us too young to understand old guys complaining about the "gold standard"?
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Mining does not exist in a vacum, laws exist regarding envioronmental degradation, OSHA safety standards, etc.
A mining operation could not be conducted in secret ( in this country )
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

mescalero1 wrote:Mining does not exist in a vacum, laws exist regarding envioronmental degradation, OSHA safety standards, etc.
A legitimate operation perhaps but I'm sure there are some very small scale illegal operations.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Hobie wrote:
mescalero1 wrote:Mining does not exist in a vacum, laws exist regarding envioronmental degradation, OSHA safety standards, etc.
A legitimate operation perhaps but I'm sure there are some very small scale illegal operations.
"Dude, I just dropped my frisbee in the creek, and found gold in it!" :mrgreen:
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Oh, that it were that easy!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Well, i for one joined in the melee and soon realized i was part of the problem, so i quit.

Greedilly shovelling 47 boxes of 223 (yeah, that cleaned 'em out that day) into a Bass Pro shopping cart and running to the cash register was my moment of clarity.

I got home with my "prize" and added it to the other stacks of 223 on my shelf and thought "What am i doing? I am the type of guy i complain about!"

So i no longer cruise the Wal Mart sporting goods counter at 8 AM every other morning, or buy every case of domestic brass 223 i can lay my hands on.
My feeling there are a few other guys like me out there that just said Enough is enough ---- either from burnout or other financial considerations. (still need primers though - so nothings changed there)
----- Doug
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

mescalero1 wrote:Oh, that it were that easy!
I was thinking more about coal...
Sincerely,

Hobie

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Oh, yes,
More of that in your part of the country, I was thinking only in terms of gold.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Hobie wrote:

Who the hell hoards coal? :roll:
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Streetstar wrote:Well, i for one joined in the melee and soon realized i was part of the problem, so i quit.

Greedilly shovelling 47 boxes of 223 (yeah, that cleaned 'em out that day) into a Bass Pro shopping cart and running to the cash register was my moment of clarity.

I got home with my "prize" and added it to the other stacks of 223 on my shelf and thought "What am i doing? I am the type of guy i complain about!"

So i no longer cruise the Wal Mart sporting goods counter at 8 AM every other morning, or buy every case of domestic brass 223 i can lay my hands on.
My feeling there are a few other guys like me out there that just said Enough is enough ---- either from burnout or other financial considerations. (still need primers though - so nothings changed there)

Good! One more outta my way! :lol:
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Stuff is still wiped out around here. Most places have a limit of 300 primers - when they have any in. Local Bass Pro Shops last week had 7 sleeves of CCI LRM's and I bought them all (they didn't have a limit), wiping out what was left of their entire primer inventory. No powder; no brass; no bullets. Some loaded cartridges, but not much.

If the pace of buying is starting to slow down it will probably only be temporary. Once Sotomayor starts getting grilled in the Senate, and the populace realizes how anti-gun she is, plus that the GOP can't stop her nomination, the frenzy will start again.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh,
YK, always with the negative vibrations.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Around here, we're on a one case (1,000) of primers per day limit. Indoor ranges are limiting carryout ammo. But, then, I rarely buy ammo.

Edit to add: Just stopped by the local indoor range; .380 ammo is $27/box, and you have to shoot it there; NO carry out!
Last edited by Travis Morgan on Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

mescalero1 wrote:Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh,
YK, always with the negative vibrations.
Who, me? :shock: Just when it has anything to do with our Commisar-in-Chief... :evil:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Travis Morgan wrote:Around here, we're on a one case (1,000) of primers per day limit. Indoor ranges are limiting carryout ammo. But, then, I rarely buy ammo.

Edit to add: Just stopped by the local indoor range; .380 ammo is $27/box, and you have to shoot it there; NO carry out!
They wouldn't get any of my business that's for sure. And I'd tell them as much. Do they really think that this will make people shoot at their range? What complete idiots.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Travis Morgan wrote:
Hobie wrote:

Who the hell hoards coal? :roll:
Nobody hoards it but there are numerous regulations on extracting it that can be circumvented (and have been) by exploiting surface exposed seams. I wouldn't be surprised that this happens more and more as more limits are put on burning fuels while increasing prices for fuel oil and natural gas for heating.
Sincerely,

Hobie