Return Of The Savage 99

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
azrednek
Levergunner

Return Of The Savage 99

Post by azrednek »

Several months ago I posted in this forum about the return of the Savage 99. I included a photo of a letter from the company president saying the 99 is on the drawing board.

Now the bad news!! I inquired about it at the Savage booth at the NRA Convention this past weekend. I was told the 99 project was put on the back burner and it could be another five years before it is given any serious consideration again.

I talked with a lady that was very knowledgeable on the entire Savage-Stevens line and history. She told me the biggest drawback is the time involved hand fitting a 99. She said it was originally thought with new CNC machinery the labor intensive hand fitting could be avoided. Apparently not the case.

The best way to get Savage to put the 99 back on the drawing board is if all the 99 fans let Savage know their feelings in a handwritten letter to the company president.

I'm going to look for the letter or the scan. If I can find it I'll post the name and address of the company president here.
azrednek
Levergunner

Re: Return Of The Savage 99

Post by azrednek »

chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

That's too bad -- I'll have to write him.

I'm not sure if it would be successful, but I know I'd buy one.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

The big question is, what would the price be if they did bring it back hand fitted? If they are willing to do as Browning/ Winchester/ Mikouru do and offer a high quality product at a high price I believe they would do well. Certainly the repro 1886's and 1895's at $1500 to $2000 retail bring the manufacturer enough profit to justifly them.
Will the Savage management be astute enough to realize that a hand fitted deluxe 99 with premium features will sell for a good profit? As Savage has generally been a low cost/ high volume manufacturer -- I am in doubt that management will see the opportunity. However, I would be happy to buy a 99 deluxe with tang safety, rotary mag., cocking indicator and great wood with checking in say a takedown frame in 250-3000 or 300 savage. Not to mention 358 winchester. I'd pay $1500 or more for one assuming the quality is there.
My guess is Savage management will stay in the same mindset and say they cost too much to produce! Quality product is always quality and will always sell. Products made to a price point will sell if the pricepoint is low enough. That is the problem as Savage sees it--- can't make it 'cheap' enough.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

not enough people will pay $1500 for a non tradional leveraction. shame , i have a 99a .308 with beautiful wood. it,s as much the gun for the money as the new winchester model 70 featherweight, but, once again, too few peole appreciate the virtues :( :( :cry: of a levergun
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Is there a problem finding a Savage 99? Seems like every show I go to has literally a dozen or two! I'd rather own one of the old ones, than a new one anyway.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

marlinman93 wrote:Is there a problem finding a Savage 99? Seems like every show I go to has literally a dozen or two! I'd rather own one of the old ones, than a new one anyway.

Some of us were hoping for a new one in 7mm-08 or 358 etc. Those are very hard to impossible to find in the existing 99s. There was a pretty long thread running on the Savage Collectors forum at 24hourcampfire recently about this very topic. It looked like even a few weeks ago that Savage was still considering a custom shop type setup for the new 99s. One of the possibilities even included a scaled down 99 action for cartridges like the 32-20, 25-20, 22 Hornet etc. That really caught my attention. I can’t imagine a much handier walking rifle than a scaled down Savage 99 in 32-20. Oh well, maybe they will find a way in the next few years to make it cost effective. I sure would like to see the 99 come back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'd like an older 99 in .243.....but, someday, not now.....I am disappointed in the new 99 not coming out....I would have prolly got one.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It doesn't seem that it should be more expensive than others on the market but the last time they brought it back it certainly was.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

There are LOTS of 'engineers' out there, and while I know some specialize in building dams, desigining power grids, and locating manhole covers, surely there are some who could lay out blueprints for a gun like the Savage 99, and see what ths 'issues' are (production costs, strength, whatever), and re-design the thing.

OR - for that matter - start from scratch.

Prototyping for FUNCTION shouldn't be difficult, one could use pot-metal and investment casting fairly cheaply. STRENGTH should be at least ballparkable by someone knowledgeable with metallurgy and mechanical engineering before investing in some 'real' test runs.

I just find it odd that the past sixty years haven't seen much 'action' in firearms development, whereas the sixty years prior to that were incredible. Have all the possible designs already been invented...?

Maybe part of it is our stifling regulatory environment and economic instability from micromanaging and taxes, but still OTHER industries roll out radically new designs and products.

I'm gonna pout until I get my Levergun 'set' in a .460 S&W Rifle, .454 Casull Carbine, and have a big ol' .454 SA Revolver, and a .45 Colt Schofield-type short DA Revolver to go with them. :roll:

I've come CLOSE though... 8)

(.444 Marlin XLR, .44 Mag Marlin 1894, .44 Mag Ruger Redhawk, .44 Special Charter Pug) - :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hmmm, I think you are there :D You are obviously a 44 guy. Remember Dirty Harry shot a light special for better control. :P
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I believe we are going to see a schism between the rich or very well to do, and the poor like we have never seen very soon in this country.

If Savage brings back the 99 it should be the same gun, using the same features. If they change it too much it will be like the Mossberg is to the Winchester. Similar, but just too different. At that point they might as well just forget about it.

And paying $1500 for a production lever gun is absurd. Yes there are some that will do that, but then there are some that will pay $100 for a brick of primers too.
I've been watching the prices of the new Marlins and 92 copies and they have priced themselves out of my consideration. I just cannot afford that kind of price.

You cannot price your products for the rich any more, as there are not enough rich folks to keep a company going for long.

JMHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I know there was a lot of hope placed on CAD and CNC equipment to produce what are now boutique guns for not too much money. I think it is interesting that they were unable to produce the parts economically enough to produce rifles at profitable price points. I know that very precise chambers can be cut with EDM and wonder if maybe it was really undercapitalization (given the current credit situation) that killed the deal. All that equipment is expensive.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Savage wrote:Hmmm, I think you are there :D You are obviously a 44 guy. Remember Dirty Harry shot a light special for better control. :P
Yep - but the obsessive compulsive part of me wants that .444 Marlin to be 'upwards compatible' with the other rounds, and firing a .44 Mag in it wouldn't be pretty... :wink: Maybe time for the ".445 AJ Wildcat..." :twisted:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I was where you are then replaced the 44s with the 45 equivalents.

The Sharps isn't mine.

Then of course I got another 444 that can take higher pressures.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Savage wrote: Image
That is a BEAUTIFUL gun 8) in one of my FAVORITE chamberings :mrgreen:

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Savage wrote:I was where you are then replaced the 44s with the 45 equivalents.
If I ever won the lottery, I'd have "sets" made up in
"36" - .357 Max/Mag/Spl,
"40" - .41 SuperMag/Mag/Spl,
"43" - .445 SuperMag/Mag/Spl
"45" - .460 S&W/.454 Casull/.45 Colt,
and either the .475's or .500 series.

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

AJMD429,
You basically got your "big ol" .454 when you stuff it with some Buffalo Bore 340 grainers @ 1500fps in that Redhawk. :)
I have a .454 and also a .44 and with those BB loads its very close.

Single Action---Get that Magnum Research BFR in .475 Linebaugh(Wish I did )

Hey, wait your a Doc,I mean get the Freedom Arms .475 :mrgreen:
(REALLY WISH I DID)

Really ,you have some nice guns Sir :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

AJ,
I have them in 357, 44 and 45. I don't like all that much pistol power. The top of the 45 Colt as 44 Mag range and the 44 mag loads are plenty for me. The 357 is mild enough anyway and the rifles have plenty of power in the 1880 fps range. I bought the 444 because it came around at the right price and I liked the rifle itself but my initial decision was "if you are going to throw a heavy bullet then let's go heavy". 400 grains is enough for me. If I want more power I will step up to another cartridge. I like the 300 gr also in the 45/70.

That 444 is quite accurate with the open sights with the Light Mag and the Leverevolution. Handy package of power and the previous owner added that pad and customized the lever without shortening the stock which seems to make it easier on the recoil end.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Savage wrote: That 444 is quite accurate with the open sights with the Light Mag and the Leverevolution. Handy package of power and the previous owner added that pad and customized the lever without shortening the stock which seems to make it easier on the recoil end.
Yep. I 'dream' of all kinds of sets and collections, but really, the four I posted photos of above can do anything I need done, and plenty more. The .444 appears more accurate than I am, and has more power than I'll likely need unless I get time to go on a really fancy safari. The .44 Mag is about perfect for the Midwest, and plenty accurate unless I want to shoot squirrels at 100 yards. The little .44 Special has more than enough power for CCW purposes, and finally, the Redhawk has as much power as I really enjoy from a handgun. If I had a .475 or .500 or .454 handgun, I'll bet the load I'd wind up shooting would be the heaviest bullet it would throw, at no more than 1100 fps.

Still...I like 'sets' and 'pairs' - I think YK infected me last winter with all his posts... :twisted:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat May 23, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ah then, now we move to the easy solution. 500 Linebaugh, line bored cylinder by Huntington (who is in Africa as we speak), color case by Turnbull. Reviewed and loads developed by Taffin. Dies, brass and some loads included. All can be yours for $2900 (last I heard) - cheaper than the set?