OT - .32's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT - .32's

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I am in a hotel room, so don't have any of my reference books with me, and I'm too lazy to look this up on the internet (at 11:40pm at night). But I was wondering, with the new .327 Federal Magnum, would a revolver thus chambered also be able to shoot the .32 H&R Magnum, .32 S&W Long, and .32 S&W Short rounds? If so, why wasn't it called a ".32 Maximum"?

I know - "why?", as in, "why would anyone want to?". Just curiousity. I don't have one, but I'm always interested to know what a gun could shoot in a pinch if other ammo wasn't available.

I wonder if there are any plans to put the .327 Federal Magnum in a levergun???
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: OT - .32's

Post by AJMD429 »

I believe the .32 H&R Mag. and the .32 S&W Long can be fired in the .327 Fed Mag, and it WOULD have made sense to call it the 'Max.' but I think the idea was to get the word "Federal" in there...

I think a levergun would be great in that round, as would a SA revolver. I KNOW that a stout .32-20 can do anything the .327 can do most likely, but I'll bet the .327's brass is stronger, and easier to reload, and as a new SAAMI entity, it will lack the nebulous bore-diameter issue of the .32-20.

Of course, it seems the Pumas and Marlins have pretty nebulous bore and chamber dimensions, from what some posters say. Someday I'll slug all my bores and see if I can blame my inaccurate shooting on them... :lol: :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

IIRC the reason it's the .327 FREDERAL is kind of a marketing type thing. Gunblast did some articles on it early on. I would guess the only hope of getting a levergun in this caliber would be from Marlin.

IMHO the M92 clones have already missed the boat by not putting out a .32-20.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Timothy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Timothy »

I agree Rusty, the 32 was very popular back in the days, why isnt it now? We're shooting the at the same things after all.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Rusty wrote:IIRC the reason it's the .327 FREDERAL is kind of a marketing type thing. Gunblast did some articles on it early on. I would guess the only hope of getting a levergun in this caliber would be from Marlin.

IMHO the M92 clones have already missed the boat by not putting out a .32-20.
+ 1
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Yes revolvers chambered in 327 can also shoot the ammo you listed. I have three different revolvers that shoot 32's . One in 32 H&R mag and two in 32 S&W long. They are easy to shoot and accurate rounds. In fact I'm going to try to cast some 32 bullets this week end. And if my cast bullets shoot well I will have to think about picking up a Marlin 94 in 32 H&R.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

BenT,
Let me know how that goes for you, I have an 85 gr. wadcutter mold that is a honey in .32, shoot a .32 long also.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I am looking for a 327 Mag for mom.

Reason is the option to shoot the other rounds in it.

She was all set to shoot 38s in a SP101 when her shoulder started acting up.

Toss up between the 327 and 22LR/Mag for her to use.

Personally I like the idea of using 32 H&R (bro has one), 32 S&W Long (probable
ammo she would use), 32 S&W (weak but I have a pocket gun in this cal.).

Just something about having the biggest hole up front and being able to tell the bad guy you got a MAGNUM.

I picked up a couple moulds in 32 as well. the std 85gr RN and a 90gr I had cup pointed.
Might be interested in trying some of those wadcutters.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I'm psyched about the 327 Fed.

I agree that the name isn't the best as there are now 2 .32 mags, but i guess we can now go by .32 H&R and .32 Fed

I have 2 .32H&R handguns and love the round. I can't wait for ruger to come out with a single action revolver in .32 Fed.

I'm thinking that if you had a .32 fed mag and a .41 rem mag you would have the bases covered for anything you would need to do or hunt - at least where I live in VA

or you could go with the more common .22mag/.357mag/.44mag - but thats boring ;)

bsaride: a .32 fed mag is going to be way more versatile than a .22. especially if you reload. If the gun for your mom is for personal defense at all, there is no contest for the .32.

Also, I wonder if a marlin .32 h&r could be rechambered for .32 fed??? also, i wonder if the action is long enough for the slightly longer length of the .32 fed.
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

327 Federal Maximum sounds like a prison sentence, not a cartridge. Much better to stay with the magnum label.
Well done is better than well said.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have a .32 H&R Single-six and I like it. The .32 S&W rounds (long and "short") are good to go in it. While I think of the .327 Fed as a Maximum I think Remington copyrighted the "Maximum" moniker. They would have been dumb if they didn't. Yep, all the shorter rounds are a go in the .327 chamber.

Taurus also makes a .327 revolver. We've got two in the shop. Haven't seen a SP101 of any kind for quite a while. In as much as Ruger is 455K firearms back ordered it might be a while!

I don't know if the .32 H&R Marlin could be converted. Aside from modifying the lifter, you might have to enlarge the hole in the mag tube. It MIGHT be easier to modify a 1894CL in .32-20 to .327.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hobie, if your SingleSix is a .32mag/32-20 convertable, please send it to me....If there is extra room, just stick in the ROA...I'll pay postage :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This is why I was pondering this last night. I imagine the .327 Federal Magnum case is a lot stronger than the .32-20 WCF, and would be easier to load. The .32 is a popular caliber - and can be more so again with the right ammunition and platforms. Looks like we're making leaps and bounds on the ammunition front. Now it is a matter of getting it into the right platforms... :D
Brian in FL
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Brian in FL »

Since the new .327 Federal is a straight walled pistol cartridge, carbide dies ought to be available for it, making it a bit easier to reload than the .32-20.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Hobie wrote:Haven't seen a SP101 of any kind for quite a while. In as much as Ruger is 455K firearms back ordered it might be a while!
Is it really that great a back log? -- a half million! I noticed at Davidson's site you can't find any small frame revolvers in stock. After moving back to the US, it's taken me awhile to decide what handgun I want, one of those new 3" Model 36's from S&W, but even odd balls like that are out of stock now.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

I've been saying all along that the .327 would make the most sense out of a levergun. I don't know why they opted to target the CCW crowd. It recoils slightly less than a .357, but also produces a heck of a lot of flash and blast out of short barrel. In a carbine levergun that issue is moot, and the round can have the extra length to build up more steam. It would be like a modernized .32-20.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Surely some hip marketing person will sieze on this, first one to the table with a levergun makes a bunch of money.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My wife has one of the sp101's in .327 Magnum. It shoots the .32 rounds in question, and she really likes it. The grips are too small for my hand, but it isn't mine.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Kid,
Yea, they all will work but wow, that bullet jump for the 32 short!

Personally, I think the gun world is already saturated with enough of "this and that". In 10 years, try finding brass for the 300 mega-rem mag or any of the other 200 recently introduced cartridges. Why don't the gun manufacturers just neck down the 45-125 Sharps to 32 caliber and stick the whole thing in an elongated Ruger S.S.

The 32-20 and 32 mag. is all that is ever going to be needed in the 32 cals. Anything bigger is like putting a 426 Hemi on a bicycle.

If I'm going to punch holes in people, I want the bullet to be a minimum of 38 cal and weigh at least 150 grains.---------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I believe it was Ruger and Remington that came up with the .357 Maximum, so my guess would be that Federal didn't want to use the term "maximum", as it may be patented by Rem., or at least folks would think of Remington when they saw it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote:Kid,
Yea, they all will work but wow, that bullet jump for the 32 short!
Sixgun - I agree, it would be a heck of a jump. I just like the idea of a gun that could handle, in a pinch, a wide variety of fodder.

I also like the idea of a straight-walled .32 that would be easy to reload, and have plenty of "ompf".

I'm with you on the self-defense thing - though for me, I like the number to start with a "4"... :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

BlaineG wrote:Hobie, if your SingleSix is a .32mag/32-20 convertable, please send it to me....If there is extra room, just stick in the ROA...I'll pay postage :mrgreen:
Nope, it is a Single-Six... The ROA will stay here a bit...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Hobie wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Hobie, if your SingleSix is a .32mag/32-20 convertable, please send it to me....If there is extra room, just stick in the ROA...I'll pay postage :mrgreen:
Nope, it is a Single-Six... The ROA will stay here a bit...

I think the ones with the interchangeable 32H&R/32-20 cylinders were the buckeye versions of the blackhawk - not the single six. I dont think the cylinder of the single six is long/deep enough for 32-20 rounds.
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

I was hoping with the advent of the .327 Fed we might see an increase in the availability of 32 caliber jacketed soft point bullets. There are a number of hollow points around. The American Eagle load uses a 100 grain JSP I believe. Awhile back I emailed Federal to see if that bullet might become available as a component. No dice. :(
Sixgun wrote:The 32-20 and 32 mag. is all that is ever going to be needed in the 32 cals.
Like most of our gun choices, what does need have do do with it? ;-)
Flint wrote:I think the ones with the interchangeable 32H&R/32-20 cylinders were the buckeye versions of the blackhawk - not the single six. I dont think the cylinder of the single six is long/deep enough for 32-20 rounds.
I suppose someone could ream out the 32 mag cylinder of one of those Buckeye Blackhawks. Although I believe they considered collectible as is.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have had real good luck with 85 grain Hornady XTP's.
They open up really nice.
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

mescalero1 wrote:I have had real good luck with 85 grain Hornady XTP's.
They open up really nice.
I normally use a 115 grain cast bullet for shooting paper and steel with my Marlin 32-20. I've been toying with idea of using it on a doe. I like the idea of driving a JSP a little faster for a deer. The 100 grain XTP's would probably do the trick. I'm just concerned about the bullet holding together if I hit a rib or something. Thanks.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I guess that .327 Federal is ok,but for myself I wont buy one.Rather have the .357mag,and when less power is needed I will just put in the old .38 specials.Besides my 2.5" SS Colt DA also is a 6 shot.
No big deal??

I feel this new one is a lot of hype?
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I think if smith offers a good adjustable sight K frame I will buy it.
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

I don't play the game but it (327 Mag) should make a flat shooting round for Hunter Pistol Silhouette.