New Marlin 410XLR ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

New Marlin 410XLR ?

Post by jengel »

I just ordered a Marlin 410XLR (.410, 2.5" chamber, 24" bbl) from Acusport today. I have never seen one before and I never knew that they made one. The description said that it was SS and brown laminate but the picture on the web site showed a standard grey stock. I asked my rep and he didn't know which was correct. There are only 350 made specifically for Acusport. The one that I ordered should be here by Friday. Has anyone seen one of these in real life? I will let ya'll know what it is like when I get it in. See ya.

BTW, It's not for me, it is for sale at the shop. I don't make enough $ to get one of them. :-)
Last edited by jengel on Mon May 18, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Marlin 410XLR

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I've never got to handle one but I've always thought the .410 Marlin's and Winny's were interesting guns. congrats!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: New Marlin 410XLR ?

Post by AJMD429 »

The one I saw a month ago at a local store looked IDENTICAL to their other XLR's - laminate stock.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I thought they were done with 410's.

What kind of shooting are they good for? Is it smoothbore? Choke?
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

dr walker wrote:I thought they were done with 410's.

I don't know for sure but I almost bet it is smoothbore.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

dr walker wrote:I thought they were done with 410's.

My first gun was a Savage .22/410 (still got it :) ) and it put a LOT of bunnies, squirrels and quail in the pot. The .410 is a good little small game getter and it's gotta' be an absolute hoot in a levergun. :D
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gents,

The Internet auction sites have them. I attached pictures of one of them. They are selling for $$$$, too.

Shawn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hagler on Tue May 19, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

According to another auction, it is a smoothbore.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

The 410 XLR in Brown laminate is this years run, I bought one last year in Gray. The Gray was a run of 300 to 350 it was said on Marlinowners.com. ImageImage
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Cabelas is advertising a blue/walnut one for 499$$ these days....... I don't know why a fella would limit himself to 2 1/2" shells in an already weak .410.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

IMO they are missing the boat a little.

I don't think it would be too hard to open that .410 bore up to .429 for .444 use then drop a choke into it for .410 use...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I had a guy come in and buy the only .410 repeater I had, a Mossberg pump, to shoot "cowbirds" aka starlings. They were ruining his garden and he had taken a dislike to them.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

BlaineG wrote:....... I don't know why a fella would limit himself to 2 1/2" shells in an already weak .410.
Oh man, a 2 1/2" 410 with #6 or 7 1/2 shot will knock a ruffed grouse right into the frying pan! I was always a 3" 410 guy until I watched my father in law with the 2 1/2" stuff. Rarely use anything else unless I'm up high out of Randle shooting those doggone big blue grouse pun'kins!

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

2X22 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:....... I don't know why a fella would limit himself to 2 1/2" shells in an already weak .410.
Oh man, a 2 1/2" 410 with #6 or 7 1/2 shot will knock a ruffed grouse right into the frying pan! I was always a 3" 410 guy until I watched my father in law with the 2 1/2" stuff. Rarely use anything else unless I'm up high out of Randle shooting those doggone big blue grouse pun'kins!

I got used to the 2 1/2's when I was a kid since I could get a box of the paper hulled Mohawk brand 2 1/2 in. a lot cheaper than the 3 in. I guess it's what you get used to but I used them on everything but deer and had no problems with them at all.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:oops: I stand corrected on 2 1/2" shells.

I was thru Randle Sunday on a ride....I could see moving that way when I retire. Spanaway is really starting to suck badly.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

BlaineG wrote: Spanaway is really starting to suck badly.
Heh. Starting? I've went through Spanaway twice in the past 25 years because of how badly things have gotten. The last time was about a year ago and to say I was shocked would be an understatement. I do anything I can to go around it if I have to go North from Randle, Morton or Mossyrock.

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2X22 wrote:
BlaineG wrote: Spanaway is really starting to suck badly.
Heh. Starting? I've went through Spanaway twice in the past 25 years because of how badly things have gotten. The last time was about a year ago and to say I was shocked would be an understatement. I do anything I can to go around it if I have to go North from Randle, Morton or Mossyrock.

That's the OLD Spanaway......I'm out in the sticks at around 235th and Mtn Hwy and it's creeping out my way......Yeah, Mtn Hwy from 224th South to Tacoma is a sewer :(

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I used mine squirrel hunting and it works very well with #6 shot. I bought a case of AA's with 9 shot and tried a round of trap with them. Long story short, clays with a pellet hole or two that did not break. So, its larger shot for the 410 for me.