What is your "Holy Grail"?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

What is your "Holy Grail"?

Post by 2ndovc »

Hey Guys...

There's been a some posts lately where a couple lucky fellows have
finally bagged thier personal "Grail" of gun collecting ( or hunting/ shooting).

So what is the one gun that you have been searching for but just haven't been able
to connect?

For me the one that I've never been in the right place with money in my pocket
is a Winchester 95 saddle ring carbine in .303 Brit.
I've seen a couple good ones but never when I have the money to spend.

A close second is a S&W Tripple Lock. Again I've come accross a couple trophies
but never with enough cash.

I'm gonna keep looking. How 'bout you guys?

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What is your "Holy Grail"?

Post by mescalero1 »

I think for me it would be a Henry Golden Boy/.22 Magnum with Mesquite stocks and one of those old Tasco full length brass scopes on it.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I can think of 2 right off hand that I NOW own.

(You know the drill, click on the thumbnails.) :D

Ballard 3F "Fine Gallery"

Remington 552-GS "Gallery Special" (not even listed in the Blue Book)

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Great-great-great grandfathers flintlock that came off the family farm was traded for house hold work in the 1960's. I know the guy who has it and he won't entertain my offers. :evil:
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

modifications of the guns i already own: 1886src cut to 20" barrell. model 71 .348wcf. converted to straight grip and a full length magazine. maybe a nice casehardened .22 colt peacemaker with adjustable sights and a 45/8" barrell, or a 1895 src. 06 cut to a 20" barrell. guess while i'm wishing an affordable blunderbuss repro. maybe one day.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A drop dead beautiful Shiloe Sharps......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

The winning lottery numbers for this Wednesday or Saturday. After that I can start contemplating "other" Holy Grails... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

jdad,
I inherited my aunt's 552 when she died, nice guns.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

awp101 wrote:The winning lottery numbers for this Wednesday or Saturday. After that I can start contemplating "other" Holy Grails... :lol:
Andrew that doesn't count! :D

Good stuff! Keep 'em commin boys!

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Tue May 19, 2009 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Marlin 1893 OR Winchester 94 in the following configuration:
38-55, Takedown, dlx, pistol grip, set trigger, 22 inch 1/2 octagon, full mag, Lyman 21/38, Lyman folding rear sight, and Lyman/Beeches front with ivory bead.

My preference would be towards the Marlin because I am enamored by case colors.

That's my Holy Grail. Anyone know where I can find one?

I'll eventually have to have one made, I suspect, and it will cost a bundle.
Chad
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mich hunter wrote:Great-great-great grandfathers flintlock that came off the family farm was traded for house hold work in the 1960's. I know the guy who has it and he won't entertain my offers. :evil:
That would be mine as well. I know of no such guns in my family, on either side, so I don't have that concern. I'm glad. That would eat at me.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

2ndovc wrote:
awp101 wrote:The winning lottery numbers for this Wednesday or Saturday. After that I can start contemplating "other" Holy Grails... :lol:
Drat!

OK, how about a money tree in the backyard? :P
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

awp101 wrote:
2ndovc wrote:
Drat!

Nope. No good!

Gotta pick one!

It's out there. Calling to you! :D

jb 8)

salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I would really like to find a nice old 1886 Take down, that I could afford or at least reasonably priced and I'm not even picky about the caliber.
As pistols go, I finally got my Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh, thanks to rkrodle, it was what you could call a Holy Grail I've been searching for.
I would like to find an older S&W Model 41 just to see if they are as good as they say they are :D
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

OEM? Not sure... especially since Olympic Arms brought back the Wolverine...

My Uncle's Savage 170 for a start.

A Savage 99 TD in .308 is right up there.

A pair of Webly Mk-I's (Or a MK-I & a Bulldog) would also go over well.

But most of my Grails are custom...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mich hunter wrote:Great-great-great grandfathers flintlock that came off the family farm was traded for house hold work in the 1960's. I know the guy who has it and he won't entertain my offers. :evil:
Consider looking around for another fairly similar (or 'better') flintlock, and buying it - then offer to trade. If he's just wanting a "cool old flintlock" he may not care about it's history. He'd have his cool 'historic' gun, and you'd have your family heirloom. Should work, unless he's considering himself part of the gun's heritage (i.e. a distant relative, lived on the same land, etc.)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Custom guns count too!
I found my "Perfect Packin' pistol" to borrow the phrase of john Taffin. My Bowen Classic SBH.

It's about that one gun that you think is the perfect climax of your search for "The One". Whatever
it is.

jb 8)

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I think the term "Holy Grail" is in all actuality a relative and fleeting thing !

In my "own" experience I may be chomping at the bit for a particular rifle or shotgun and that could be considered my "Holy Grail" !

However once I have acquired such a firearm , I usually very quickly come up with something else that I really really would like to have . Hence ANOTHER "Holy Grail" !

To my way of thinking for a seriouse collector type it is a viciouse and NEVER ending cycle :wink:

But who am I to complain :lol:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Hmm.. Can't narrow it down to just one. :oops: A first Generation Colt SAA in .38/40 with horn/ivory grips. A Winchester '73 with a pristine bore in .38/40. A Marlin '93 in .38-55 and an early Savage 99 in .250-3000.

And like awp101 It's gonna' take a lottery win to get them. :cry:
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Since the true Holy Grail has never been discovered, and my personal favorite is not likely to be, either, I'll go ahead and make my plea. For me, it would be a Winchester Extra Lighweight Solid Frame rifle, with pistol grip, 3X wood, Lyman 38 sight, and 22" barrel in caliber .50 EX. I actually do believe that the true Holy Grail, or the Arc Of The Covenant, will be found before that rifle comes to me. :lol:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

An original silver plated factory engraved Colt SAA 1st generation. When I first got married 42 years ago I was offered one for 650.00. That might as well have been 6,500.00 then. I would have to trade for one now but I haven't found the exact one yet.
"That'll Be The Day"
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Winchester Deluxe 1886 takedown in 50/100 caliber.(Rifle)
SS Freedom Arms premier .475 linebaugh 6" octagon barrel with custom mammoth grip.(Pistol)

We can pray!!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

matched set of purdy 20 gauge shotguns, straight gripped and choked for driven birds, with proofed damascus barrels and fantastic wood.

I think my 475 Linebaugh is the holy grail of my pistol search.

If my 1886 was a takedown, then I would consider it the holy grail for me of rifles, but its close enough.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I guess I'll never aquire my "Holy Grail". I've had several "Holy Grail" firearms in the past and for one reason or another have let them go for another "Holy Grail". :) So, for me anyway, the quest for my "Holy Grail" will continue.
ED
Yer never too old
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

6pt-sika wrote:...once I have acquired such a firearm , I usually very quickly come up with something else that I really really would like to have...
Yep - I once thought that a stainless .45 ACP Para-LDA would be the PERFECT CCW firearm. After all, I really liked my SA version, butt-ugly though it was (an early 'painted' finish one). But the LDA was stainless, and double-action, and pretty, and new...and expensive.

After I put nearly $1,000 :shock: into a brand-new Stainless Para-PDA, and after I ceased being AMAZED at the truly-Contender-like trigger, I just decided I wasn't a 'double-action' afficionado, and even though the gun had a great reputation, there were too many little parts inside it ('almost as bad as a Glock...! :lol: ')

Anyway, I went back to the painted-ugly SA. Someday I'll apply a do-it-yourself coated finish, so at least it will be a 'custom' messed-up look :oops: .

Nowdays - I'd put the Stainless Bolt-action Ruger .44 on the list, just because it would 'match' (YK, here we go... :roll: ) my 77/22 'all-weather' one, or a barrel for my Contender pistol in .25-20, like I really need that; I don't even have any brass for that round.

The 'Holy Grail' gun is always the "next" and "last" one you intend to buy. That is, until you actually buy it. Then, of course, the definition stays the same - it will still be the "next" and "last" one you intend to buy... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Too many things come to mind. I'd love a .50 BMG before Big Brother bans them all. For that matter, a Dillon Aero M134 as long as it came with 100,000 rounds of ammunition! :D But right now, I can't get that Volcanic pistol from OI's post out of my head! :wink:

Closer to reality, I really want a .32-20 WCF lever-action to go with the revolver I got earlier this year. Something with a straight stock and full magazine tube. Other than that, I'm flexible...
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Too many things come to mind. I'd love a .50 BMG before Big Brother bans them all. For that matter, a Dillon Aero M134 as long as it came with 100,000 rounds of ammunition! :D But right now, I can't get that Volcanic pistol from OI's post out of my head! :wink:

Closer to reality, I really want a .32-20 WCF lever-action to go with the revolver I got earlier this year. Something with a straight stock and full magazine tube. Other than that, I'm flexible...

Well, there's another one right there. I want a .32-20 myself, and a revolver to go with it. Man! it's tough being poor. :(
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

A Winnie pre64 94 in 25-35 WCF and a 92 in 38-40 WCF. 8)
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

it was a mod. 59 22 lr. made by winchester they were produced in the heart of the depression for 10 months in 29 and 1930 been searching for well over 30 years for a good one. one day last fall this dog had its day!!!

its in 90% plus cond.

rafter-7
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

6pt-sika wrote:I think the term "Holy Grail" is in all actuality a relative and fleeting thing !

In my "own" experience I may be chomping at the bit for a particular rifle or shotgun and that could be considered my "Holy Grail" !

However once I have acquired such a firearm , I usually very quickly come up with something else that I really really would like to have . Hence ANOTHER "Holy Grail" !

To my way of thinking for a seriouse collector type it is a viciouse and NEVER ending cycle :wink:

But who am I to complain :lol:

I see your point and I always have the "Next One" syndrome. The minute I bag something cool I'm jonesing for what the "Next One" is gonna be.

There's a difference though. For me anyway.

There has always been that one that has been just out of reach. For what ever reason.

jb 8)

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I am actually in between "HOLY GRAIL's" right now. For years I wanted a nice english double sxs and had the 1886 bug BAD. Three years ago I was at an auction where they had a nice but not overly nice Richards sxs and I knew it was going to be expensive. The auctioneer started by saying you boys know you can't shoot these old twist barrel guns(keep talking brother). He also stated the right lock didn't work and this should just be a wall hanger(that's right keep flapping them gums). I thought $130 was a fine buy(alright I all but fell out of my seat and had a heart attack), BTW the right lock had not been put back in properly and only required putting the nicely engraved screw back in properly. And I have reloaded black powder shogun shells for years for some of my other sxs . The other is a sorta got my holy grail. I have wanted a 1886 since the age of 15(now 44) but funds for a nice gun were not always available at the point the guns came up for sale. I wanted a 45-70 with oct. barrel and full length mag. Has anybody checked the prices on these lately...WOW. I had a very nice older fellow at work tell me he had a couple of 86's and he could part with one(my mind is telling me it would cost thousands) he had a 33wcf round barrel half mag for sale and it was $1200. Having had that itch for 28 years I sold some other guns, some car stuff, and scrounged money here and there and bought it. It isn't exactly what I wanted but it is close and the way 86 prices are around here, I'll probably be using it to trade up to the real 'Holy Grail at some point. So I am content right now but it's early. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Shiloh Sharps with pretty wood, heavy barrel and a little German Silver trim

or.....

Spencer in Rifle configuration that has a Civil War provenance. Be nice if it was fired once by a retreating Yankee, then picked up, thoroughly cleaned and gingerly cared for for the last 145 years by a series of non-hunting Grandmothers in the arid South West. Hey, a guy can dream can't he? : I'd settle for a battle scarred version too. :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Well for me, at least for now I have found my Grail. The Winchester 71, .348 Win. At this point I am content.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I forgot one OEM...

SS ROA 5"...

OK... Custom Grails...

16x16 over .357 Stainless Drilling.
12x12 over .45 Stainless Hammer/Underhammer Caplock Drilling
20" Rossi 1982 Stainless .357 TD.
Underhammer(caplock) Bullpup with barrels in .45, .50 & .54
CVA Electra (.50) in a Bulpup Mod...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My Holy Grail has not been built yet, least I don't think so. All I want is a Ruger 96 in .22 Hornet. 8) I would think Ruger could cobble one up without too much trouble and I know they would at least sell one :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Brian in FL
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Brian in FL »

My ultimate Holy Grail, which I never will be able to afford unless I win the lottery, would be a Best Quality British sidelock double rifle, probably in .470 Nitro Express. Now that's what I call a deer rifle. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Although I've found the one recently, there's still another that eludes me. I'd love to find a 1891 Marlin in a pistol grip deluxe!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

2ndovc wrote:
awp101 wrote: Drat!

Nope. No good!

Gotta pick one!

jb 8)
OK, a fully documented, original, very low mile Yenko Super Camaro, Chevelle or Nova. Failing that, the same from Baldwin Motion. In fact, I may put the Baldwin ahead of the Yenko...:mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

awp101 wrote:
2ndovc wrote:
awp101 wrote: Drat!

Nope. No good!

Gotta pick one!

jb 8)
OK, a fully documented, original, very low mile Yenko Super Camaro, Chevelle or Nova. Failing that, the same from Baldwin Motion. In fact, I may put the Baldwin ahead of the Yenko...:mrgreen:
Nope

Won't do! try again.

jb 8)

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

These are not necessarily my favorites, but would be the hardest to replace (at my salary :D )

1st gen Colt 45 made in 1917 that I believe is unfired--factory walnuts. 99% blue and 99% color

1886 SRC 45-70 with 95% blue and 25% case colors and S.O. shotgun butt made in 1901
Image,

or maybe this 90% 1st gen Colt SAA in 44 Russian with factory one piece walnuts(one of 153),
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Sixgun, Those are outstanding! :)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

SmokeEater2 wrote:Sixgun, Those are outstanding! :)
+1 Jaw-dropping!!! 8) :mrgreen:
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Jeeezus Sixgun you have been hold'n out on us :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Those are real trophies Jack!!!

jb 8)

GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

I like Rafter-7's Winchester find. Congrats and good on ya', pard!!

Mine is, and I suppose always will be, the one I traded off last. :?
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Brian in FL
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Brian in FL »

Sixgun,

Those are some really beautiful, special firearms. WOW! 8) 8) :) :)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks for the compliments guys, but don't forget, I have been at this game since the early seventies. Things were cheaper and were easier to find, especially in this part of the country where people bought guns for occasional use and not as tools, as they did out West. S.E. Pennsylvania is most likely the most "gun saturated" part of the country and I have happen to live in the middle of it. :D -------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

GoatGuy wrote:I like Rafter-7's Winchester find. Congrats and good on ya', pard!!

Mine is, and I suppose always will be, the one I traded off last. :?
\

Thank you.

I have bought every mod.59 I have seen reguardless of condition, and in 30+ years the grand total is 3 guns the other 2 are gone now with the purchase of this one.It really did feel... and make me wonder "Whats next"

When you go on a 30+ year trek and it finally comes to an end you do stand there with a stupid look one your face for a long time and keep repeting "wow"

thats when you know you have your "Holy Grail"

rafter-7
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Hey Rafter, I thought the Model 59 was a 12 ga. with fiberglass barrel! :wink: Funny how Win. revived the old model number again! Pretty cool gun you have there, I've never heard of them!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

Hey MM,

yes thats what makes it diffucult to search for... type in winchester 59 and all that comes up are shotguns gggrrrrrr.

have a good day .. I am going to finish seeding today but I have about 800 acres of custom seeding to do and a little spraying after that

rafter-7