OT - Who carries a single action concealed?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Who carries a single action concealed?

Post by homefront »

What gun, caliber, configuration, grips, leather?
I'm having repeated visions of a 4", .44 Spl. Vaquero, birdshead, SBH hammer, in this Mernickle PS6A.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Nice looking rig. I have been wondering if I could find a rig to carry my Bisley Vaquero 4 5/8 .45colt that wouldnt be to noticable.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

JReed wrote:Nice looking rig. I have been wondering if I could find a rig to carry my Bisley Vaquero 4 5/8 .45colt that wouldnt be to noticable.
If ya want, I could send you a copy of the one I'm making for my 4 5/8" .45 Colt Vaquero.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

PM'ed you
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

I have carried this little thing once in a while but not anymore.

Also, have concealed this in a crossdraw holster under a heavy coat. :wink:

Rob
NRA
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I like to stick this one down my pants, calvary style :shock: I'm real careful when pulling it out :shock: --------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

I've carried my Black Hawk under a long coat, but only because I had been hunting.

I would carry a 3 inch SAA with a birds head grip, if I had one. Something akin to the 'Fitz Specials' of yesteryear. If you go to the trouble of a carry piece, you might as well carry what you like.
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

Does a 1911 count?
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

I sometimes carry my old model Blackhawk in a nylon Uncle Mikes holster.

4 3/4, stock grips, 357 mag. I just stick the whole rig in my front jeans locket, and let my zippered sweater or long flannel shirt hang over it.

I'm thinking of ditching my 9mm, getting a nice holster for the BH, and carrying it more often. i would like to get another mini revolver for pocket carry backup. have though about getting a Bearcat, and converting it to 22 mag as a pocket gun.

I shoot S/A revolvers best, sometimes, in the terrain I frequent, a longer shot could present itself, and limited practice time makes the familiar more attractive.

take care,

Tom
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Not on a regular basis. I carry a Ruger SBH 5.5" 44 Magnum when we camp up in New Hampshire. It serves double duty as bear repellent and personal protection when in town, so to speak. I carry it in a Simply Rugged pancake holster with the shell loops.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ruger New Vaquero, Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake...

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I have carried my SBH and Flat Top cross draw in an Uncle Mikes sidekick, on one of their nylon belts. I then cover up with a large/long button up shirt if it's fall or spring like or if colder I put a long coat on that does not give much away. I can pull up the bottom of my coat and get at it fairly quick, though I'm sure there are better rigs for the job.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Yes.

cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

Scott, is the top photo a Milt Sparks Summer Special?

How do you like it?
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

JReed wrote:Nice looking rig. I have been wondering if I could find a rig to carry my Bisley Vaquero 4 5/8 .45colt that wouldnt be to noticable.

Check out http://www.simplyrugged.com I carry my 38 in one of their pancake holsters 90% or more of the time. A bisquero would carry as well and Rob does good work at good prices.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

cutter wrote:Scott, is the top photo a Milt Sparks Summer Special?

How do you like it?
I'd like to know who made the second holster pictured. That is just what I've been looking for.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

homefront,I carry a Colt SAA 5 1/2 inch .45 in a Mernickle PS6A. It carries high and feels real good. I am new at posting pictures and will try to put a couple on,it is the plain version of the one you posted.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Presently, not often; my chief says no single action sixguns for "off-duty" and back-up. I can legally tote the SA, but have to also carry a DA sixgun or an auto, and it would not be a good idea to shoot a bad guy with the SA. I do have a Milt SParks Summer Special like ScottT's, and perhaps in another four years or so, it might see more regular use.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

No need in North Dakota...we just keep a coyote gun in the back window gun rack of our pickups.
user45
Levergunner

Post by user45 »

Not here. Single Action would just require too much manual action to get in a ready condition on the bad guy FOR ME. I carry either a DA revolver or striker type (Glock in my case) auto. Both are point and shoot and 100% reliable and I feel in a high intesity, high stress ecounter with a bad guy I'd rather not have the manual steps to go through.

I live in VA, and when it's T-shirt/Shorts/Flip Flop weather, meaning dang hot, it's a J-frame in a pocket holster. Any other time it's a Glock & IWB holster when I have cover to conceal it. I usually wear those "bowlin" type shirts not meant to be tucked in.

However that said, I firmly agree, CARRY DAILY, Apply Sparingly!

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Rexster wrote:Presently, not often; my chief says no single action sixguns for "off-duty" and back-up. I can legally tote the SA, but have to also carry a DA sixgun or an auto, and it would not be a good idea to shoot a bad guy with the SA. I do have a Milt SParks Summer Special like ScottT's, and perhaps in another four years or so, it might see more regular use.
:?: :?: Can you explain that in a little more detail as to the reason why.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Hobie wrote:Ruger New Vaquero, Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake...

That is one sweet lookin SA there Hobie :D
But as I recently posted to a brother on the Single-Action Revolvers forum.

“Now for a little forum, brother to brother agitation.â€
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I really havent tried to carry this cimmeron thunder yet concealed, but it looks like it should work.
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

bogus bill wrote:I really havent tried to carry this cimmeron thunder yet concealed, but it looks like it should work.
I have one in 38 Colt that packs real nice in my vest pocket.
mac45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mac45 »

I carry a Vaquero when I'm hunting. Usually covered by a coat, but not really trying to be concealed. :)
For day to day carry, it's a 1911.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

More guys are carrying SA concealed than I expected. :D
Thanks for all the replies! I now have food for thought.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Add me to the mix Homefront. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow, but I have carried my Uberti with a bird's head from time to time - and that is why I bought it! :D
Boge Quinn
Shootist

Post by Boge Quinn »

I sometimes carry my FA 4" Model 97 .45 Colt in a horizontal shoulder rig under a vest.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

casastahle wrote:
Hobie wrote:Ruger New Vaquero, Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake...

That is one sweet lookin SA there Hobie :D
But as I recently posted to a brother on the Single-Action Revolvers forum.

“Now for a little forum, brother to brother agitation.â€
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

If Rexter's chief says no SAs.....then it would be exceedinly bad to have to shoot somebody with such a gun.

Fortunately, I don't have to answer to a chief anymore. But if I did, I would sure pay attention to what he said.
gordylew
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gordylew »

Though I love the feel and aesthtics of a single action. If I have to pull a gun on an evil doer, I don,t want to be overgunned.
never bring a knife to a gun fight . and always have more ammo and training then your foe.
Boge Quinn
Shootist

Post by Boge Quinn »

Gordylew, I'd rather face a homeboy with a "wondernine" than ScottT with his Shootist .44 Special any day!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have a Colt Peacemaker replica (EMF Dakota) in 45 Colt with a 5 1/2 inch barrel that I carry sometimes. I like it because it has plenty of knockdown power, and it's more compact then a Doubleaction revolver of simular power, and 100% reliable. And it shoots the aluminum cased Blazer hollowpoints to point of aim. Another thing I like about the Blazers is that the ammo is lighter, and you can really tell the difference.

I also carry lots of other weapons as I feel the need, but since I am not a cop, I don't have too much worry about fire power, and frankly I can get that single action on target just as fast and accurate as about anything else, at least for the first shot. But a single action Colt is a thinking man's gun, not a spray and pray wonder nine.

Of course it's not in the same class as a 1911 or Browning High Power for multiple assailants, etc. but I would much rather have it then a model 60 smith and wesson .38 special or anything smaller like the little Kel-tec, or other hide out guns, all of which I occasionally carry.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

This is what I plan on carrying when I get stationed some where I can actualy carry it. I have carryed it a few times hunting.
Ruger OM Vaquero Bisley in .45colt.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

(No matter how you dress her up she’s still not a Colt Wink )
When it comes to more recent production, I'm hearing that Colt no longer tops the list...

It doesn't top mine, anyway!

Ruger for now, custom built USFA pretty soon. Colt? No time soon...unless I could score an oder one reasonable.

Like I said, no time soon!

:D

MMMV

Take care,

Tom
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

On my home place (since no CCW yet, but soon) Like JReed, I carry my Bisley Vaquero except mine has 5.5" barrel instead of 4 3/4. Like Hobie, I use a SimplyRugged Holster cross draw with the holster positioned on my left hip. I'm experimenting with a new shoulder rig for the holster which will pull the muzzle end up up about 3-4" for better concealed position for average shirt tail length.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Yes, A 4 3/4 in. Model P is lighter (feels like it anyway.) than the Para-Ordnance .40 I used to carry. And I don't feel handicapped with 5 rounds of .45 Colt at all. :wink: Besides, It's what I shoot the most so I'm confident I know where that slug is gonna' land.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Now Boge.......everybody knows I am just an old washed up street cop. Not dangerous to anybody. :?
Boge Quinn
Shootist

Post by Boge Quinn »

Scott, the point is, as Paco told me: beware the man whom others might THINK is undergunned - he is likely to KNOW his gun better and not be likely to spray and pray.
redeux
Levergunner

Post by redeux »

you have to admit that 5 or 6 big chunks of lead staring you in the face can put somewhat of a damper on your enthusiasium...
i'm getting a 5.5"ruger NV limited in a couple of weeks and will S-R make a pancake for it ...
short of a 'zulu' style attack more firepower shouldn't be a pressing need...
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I don't believe that I'm the first to make the remark...

I carry a single-action. It's just not a single action revolver.

I love my Blackhawk, but I don't have a clue how one would conceal a side-arm of such dimensions.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

casastahle wrote:
Rexster wrote:Presently, not often; my chief says no single action sixguns for "off-duty" and back-up. I can legally tote the SA, but have to also carry a DA sixgun or an auto, and it would not be a good idea to shoot a bad guy with the SA. I do have a Milt SParks Summer Special like ScottT's, and perhaps in another four years or so, it might see more regular use.
:?: :?: Can you explain that in a little more detail as to the reason why.
Sure. Part of wearing a Texas peace officer badge is that one is subject to duty at all times. Any firearm used for police purposes, according to the state, should be one with which one has fired a qualification course. My agency sees armed self-defense as falling within the line of duty, at least if within the state lines. I can plea that I used a "weapon of opportunity" if I use a weapon with which I have not qualed, but generally speaking, I can expect some degree of disciplinary scrutiny if I use an unauthorized weapon to defend myself or someone else. If I am hunting, or target shooting, and just happen to use the weapon already at hand, that is one thing. Carrying an SA sixgun in CCW mode is another.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Rexster wrote:Sure. Part of wearing a Texas peace officer badge is that one is subject to duty at all times. Any firearm used for police purposes, according to the state, should be one with which one has fired a qualification course. My agency sees armed self-defense as falling within the line of duty, at least if within the state lines. I can plea that I used a "weapon of opportunity" if I use a weapon with which I have not qualed, but generally speaking, I can expect some degree of disciplinary scrutiny if I use an unauthorized weapon to defend myself or someone else. If I am hunting, or target shooting, and just happen to use the weapon already at hand, that is one thing. Carrying an SA sixgun in CCW mode is another.
Hmmm.... and the Captain won't let you qualify with a single action? Bummer!

One of my most favorite things is to use "obsolete" or "inadequate" guns to show folks that there's more to life than high cap minibore guns. I've come out second in the local informal "practical pistol" scene - shooting a 4" 38 spl against a wide variety of 9mm's and such. Even with two reloads to their one I was able to score well. And I shot a much higher score on the 25 meter slow fire pistol with my Crosman 1377 than anyone else did with their target pistols. :D Maybe you need to make a bet with your Captain about your ability to qualify with a single action...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

Whilst living in Florida my usual carry gun was a Kimber 1911A1 (Not the type of single action we're discussing here, but, heck, it's a single action, right ? :D

Anyway, from time to time, I did carry a sixgun, much tot he chagrin of my fellow RO's. Sometimes, even a sixgun of the single action persuasion.

Mostly, a Cimarron Thunderer, .45 Colt/.45ACP 3 1/2" in a El Paso #88 BAsketweave holster. Yeah, only five rounds, but five rounds of 230 Grain Ranger SXT's is nothing to laugh at.

There was a period in 2005 when a rogue gator was in our park, one that unfortunately killed a young woman. (Details were broadcast on a Discovery Channel Special.)

For that week while the gator was being sought, I carried one of my Bisley Vaqueros, 4 5/8" barrel, .45 Colt, with a 250 Keith bullet over 9.0 Gr of Universal Clays. In my truck rack was a Rossi 92 Carbine, 300 Gr Lyman FNGC over 21.5 gr of H110. Just a little peace of mind !

I carried the Bisley Vaquero in an El Paso Threepersons rig. Got a few stares and snide comments from the tactical types, but I'd rather have faced a gotor with that then a .40 Glock !

(BTW, the gator was killed by Seminole Animal Control folks. App. 13 feet long. Turns out the young lady was napping--read, passed out on xanax--next to the edge of a canal when the gator saw her arm dangling in the water and couldn't pass up a free meal. One of three gator kills in Florida that summer.)
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Okay, just for the fun of it, here is something I have carried from time to time, with a .45 acp AMT Backup.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

In GA, we are allowed to have a loaded gun in the glove box or on the seat and it's nt considered concealed. I have carried this gun in a front pants pocket, (in holster,) with a jacket over it.
'Tis a mite large for concealed carry, but I can shoot it well, and pity the fool who tries to fire wildy in my direction. Line it up and BLAM!
-Dead fool.

LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverBar »

Ruger Blackhawk Buckeye Convertible .38-40/10mm. Mernickle holster.

Large enough-- I just can't see myself relying on a semi-auto: jams, stovepipes, .... --but summer makes it difficult to conceal.

Did ScottT say where that second holster is from? I'd like to try one.
Mannlicher
Levergunner

Post by Mannlicher »

I carry a Bisley Vaquero in either .44 Mag or .45 Colt when the weather is cooler, and I can wear a jacket to conceal it.
I use a Mernickle holster, Bob's PS6-SA model. This has to be one of the best carry holsters ever made for a Single Action.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

That second holster is also a Mernickle.
Nate Kiowa Jones
Site Sponsor

Post by Nate Kiowa Jones »

bogus bill wrote:I really havent tried to carry this cimmeron thunder yet concealed, but it looks like it should work.
Hi Bill,
Go for it. My everyday carry is an old Glock 22 that looks like it's been drug behind the truck but as one of my dress up Bar-B-Q guns I carry this one in a speed bucket style shoulder rig. Has to be cool out for a jacket but I don't feel naked at all with 5 round of 45lc Win Silver tips.

Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones Sass# 6765

Steve's Guns aka "Rossi 92 Specialists"
205 Antler lane
Lampasas, Texas 76550

http://www.stevesgunz.com

Email; steve@stevesgunz.com

Tel: 512-564-1015