Sagen Sie mir, auf Winchester 94AE 44 Mag mit langlaufrohr

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Sagen Sie mir, auf Winchester 94AE 44 Mag mit langlaufrohr

Post by Noah Zark »

There seem to be these Model 94AEs in 44 Mag coming out of the woodwork near me, and I am unfamiliar with the configuration and the going rate:

Model 94AE, 44 Magnum, long round barrel maybe 24" or 26", semi-pistol grip stock and curved finger lever to match. The PG is slightly curved, not sharply curved like on a Model 64 or 65. I've seen checkered and smooth furniture on them. All used, they are priced around $600, +/- $50.

I wasn't a close follower of all the combinations and permutations of Winchester levers the last 10-15 yrs they were made, and I was wondering if the collective Levergun body had any 411 on the model and fair market value of these?

Vielen Dank,

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Sagen Sie mir, auf Winchester 94AE 44 Mag mit langlaufrohr

Post by 3t- »

Winchester Legacy Model, I think they were in .357, 44mag and 30/30. (EDIT) 24 in round barrel pistol grip. Nice guns but did have the cross bolt safety. I have one in 44mag.and it shoots pretty good. I think they went for around $475 back when they first came out. Around 2004 or so I think.
Last edited by 3t- on Fri May 15, 2009 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
regards

3T
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Noah,
Nothing to offer on the Winchester, but I do want to commend you on your German.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I've got two of these with the 24" bbl. They are the Legacy model. I've also got a Trapper and a Trails End version (16" / 20" bbl).

They all function the same and they're equally accurate with the same load (23gr H-110 under 240gr XTP).

I do like the 24" barrel as it seems to have better balance for me.

As far as price, I think I gave right around $450 a year or two ago.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I only have the 16" Trapper model, it has been a good solid shooter with no problems for the past 15 years.
$600.00 seems rather high to me, I would rather buy a nice 1950's Model 94 in 30-30 for around that price.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

?? You wanted a short gin with bitte?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

According to my 2006 Winchester catalog, the only .44 Mag, with a barrel longer than 20", (by then) was the 24" plain Original Legacy, priced @ $497.

I grabbed a bundle of 2006 catalogs from a disgusted dealer, when Winchester announced their closing - Maybe, someday, my Grandson can put them on sleezebay.

Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Thanks very much to all for their replies and input; it's been a HUGE help!

Saw another Legacy today for $525, but it had a bit too many miles on it (most of them in the pickup bed, by the looks of things) for that $$$ or I would have came home.

Firearms sales around here DIED about 1 May. All the dealers are complaining. I may wait a bit for their cash flow to become a problem, and see how hungry they get.

Thanks again!

Noah
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have a Legacy 24" checkered PG in .45 Colt.
Very nice wood if not well fitted. Shoots very accurately but has a rather poor trigger. Found it a couple years ago at my local dealers in like new condition for $400 IIRC. :D
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

I have nothing good to say about USRAC angle ejects and I have absolutely no idea why people are willing to spend that kind of cash on them. If you're willing to spend six bills, get a REAL Winchester 94. I did, and I'm never ever looking back. It's better in every single respect than the USRACs I fussed over before I knew better. Also, the 94 was never intended for short handgun cartridges. The 92 pattern is better suited to that task.

A true "legacy" Winchester would be one from before 1964 with no lawyer switches on it and hand-fitted, all steel parts.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Cosmoline:

I agree with much of what you posted, but could you share some specifics about the problems you've had with 94AEs?

I have 94AE "Trappers" in 357 and 45 Colt, and they've been good performers for me, but maybe I've been lucky.

If I could find a 92-style levergun in 44 Magnum with a 24"-26" barrel, I'd probably lean that way. I did look at at Rossi/Puma a few weeks ago but the lumber turned me off.

Noah
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

This was something from a thread on Gray Beards. I have a 94 AE in .357 and they are problematic. These were the parts on fellow recommended to stock up on and as you can see by my post below he's right. The big thing IMO is the double feeds out of the mag tube. It may not be a problem with the .44 mag or .45 colt but it definitely is with the .357. The link which has the protrusion the keeps the cartridges in the mag tube during cycling is a Mim part and very soft. It works for a short while but due to the recoil effect of the mag tube shells bouncing against it while shooting it deforms and then passes shells under the lifter. I am going to have my friend weld up my replacement( bought a new one thats how I know what happens to them) and try a slightly different angle and see if I can make that one 100%. Oh and the triggers suck big time but that's another story. I'm a retired aircraft mechanic and this thing has become a challenge, I hope I win!

u346432060 carrier spring cover 357 magnum $3
u346421180 carrier spring 357 magnum $2
u341450220 carrier 357 magnum $20
u344912370 cartridge block screw $1
u346410100 cartridge block $4
u346401830 ejector spring, 44 Mag, 357 Mag, 45 Colt $1
u341850310 ejector $4
u341900720 extractor $12
u343030110 link, 357 magnum $22

Of the above list I have broken and replaced the cartridge block, 3 ejectors, had to stone the carrier cam square, replaced the link and when the the replacement crapped out I had a friend weld it up. I then reshaped it to slightly larger than original to help prevent double feeds( which it still does occasionally!). As I said in a previous post, I can see why Winchester went out of business.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

I had a three AE's, each worse than the last. One shot a foot off center at fifty yards, another was so badly fitted the .45 Colt shells would slip out of the tube under the elevator and jam the rifle hopelessly. That is of course apart from the innane external safety toggle, the cheap parts, the cruddy wood and the inferior iron sights. I found them to be "fun guns" in the sense that they were built poorly in the expectation that nobody would expect them to be serious shooters. Not in the sense that they were actually fun :D The *real* Winchester 94's I've gotten since have been a world apart.

You're absolutely right about the lack of a quality 92 style carbine. I picked up a Puma 92 in .44 Mag and have some problems with it. The action itself is fine, but the mag tube slips constantly and the barrel is canted. It's slated as a fixer-upper when I get around to it. I fixed the mag tube problem by slicing the magazine in half and blocking the end of it. I still need to do something about the barrel. I'm not the only one who finds Pumas a little less than perfect out of the box. There's a fellow who specializes in fixing up the Pumas who frequents this forum. The Browning 92's are excellent but more expensive than the Pumas. Still you can find them on gunbroker for $550 on up, maybe less with some scratches. I'd pick one of those up over a 94AE any day of the week. Aside from quality, the action on the 92 is faster since you don't have to "unpack" the whole receiver with every stroke.

The Marlin 44's are great but being Marlins they're fatter, thicker and heavier than the 92's.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Retmech & Cosmoline:

Thanks very much for the additional input. All good info to consider.

Noah
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Noah,
Just looked at my Rossi, with what you said about the wood.
Mine is fine, even has some figure in it.
I was going to duplicate the stock on my duplicator in Mesquite anyway, so I will do the mesquite for myself, run a pattern in pine, and offer the OEM stock in the classifieds.