OT:Coil Gun ... Novelty

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

OT:Coil Gun ... Novelty

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Novel and somewhat interesting ... the translation on the projectiles is 650grains (steel) at 100fps.

Coil Gun Demo.

Just to be clear, when the video shows "30 and 450 fps" in the window, he's talking about the speed that his video camera is running. Where 30fps (frames per second) is normal and 450fps is his high speed mode. It doesn't mean the projectile is moving at 450fps.

The light bulb on the front of the gun serves as both and indicator and a current limiter for the purposes of charging the large blue capacitors on the top. The resistance of the filament in the bulb prevents too large a current surge and shines brightly when the capacitors begin to charge. As they reach a steady state voltage, the current through the bulb drops to zero and the light goes out. Just an "over the top" way of doing/showing the charging.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT:Coil Gun ... Novelty

Post by don Tomás »

Too cool, thanks for the link. I bet the charge in those caps would melt the fillings right out of your teeth... :)
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The theoretical velocity for a coil/rail gun is infinity minus the coefficient of friction + gravitational constant.

The only problem with a coil gun is not having a proper superconductor/supercapacitor.

In this case, I think he would have been better served to be shooting somthing with a LOT less mass, ramped to much higher velocities... say a Finish Nail/brad run up to 2000fps or so..
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

The guy sure has no clue about muzzle safety. He waves that thing at everyone and everything. :roll:
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Interesting, thanks.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

OI. i agree with you , kewl video.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:I like this one better . . . http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=646_1172621601
I want one of those!!! Full auto fun at .22 LR prices!!! :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I haven't calculated 109 km/hr into ft/sec, but isn't that about 100 ft/sec...?

OTOH - From the size of those steel projectiles, "4.2gr" surely isn't 42 grains, I'd assume 42 grams = 648 grains...! THAT is pretty decent size.

Make one of those coil guns the size of a Guide Gun and maybe it could get a 500 grain projectile going 1,000 fps or more. Not too shabby. No ammo sludge, flinging brass, and everything carried in the magazine is payload.

However, spinning it is likely necessary for long range accuracy, and no mention of accomplishing that - I'd doubt the accelleration from the coil would be sufficient to force a projectile through conventional rifling. Maybe somehow the 'coil' could impart a spin...

Still I'll keep my Guide Gun... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

However, spinning it is likely necessary for long range accuracy, and no mention of accomplishing that - I'd doubt the accelleration from the coil would be sufficient to force a projectile through conventional rifling. Maybe somehow the 'coil' could impart a spin...
Our battle tanks are smooth bore, and I think they can hit at over a mile.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

BlaineG wrote:
Once the sabot gives way, don't they have fins on them for stabilization?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
Once the sabot gives way, don't they have fins on them for stabilization?
Ummmm....Yes, the depleted uranium penetraters are a sabot.....but, I don't think the HE rounds are like that......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV