I AM A LEGIONAIRE! (THIS IS NOT POLITICAL...)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

I AM A LEGIONAIRE! (THIS IS NOT POLITICAL...)

Post by Old Ironsights »

I am a Legionaire.

I will not be posting on May 25 because I will be at Gravesides either playing Taps or firing Salutes.

If you are eligible to be in the Legion &/or VFW (DAV, etc, etc), but are not... why not?

I am not a barfly. I am not ancient ( ;) ) I do not "fit in" wit the other VN+ era Vets. I joined because it is my DUTY. Because the Legion Remembers.

Remember this Memorial Day.

And if you are eligible... even if you are "only" eligible as a Son/Daughter...(SAL)... Join.
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Wed May 13, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I AM A LEGIONAIRE! (THIS IS NOT POLITICAL...)

Post by Modoc ED »

Memorial Day IS NOT for Veterans. It is for those members of the Armed Forces that gave their lives in the service of their country.

Veteran's Day (November 11) is for Veterans.
ED
Yer never too old
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Didn't say it was for Veterans...

But Veterans tend (and are honor bound IMO) to lead the Memorials when possible...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Around here, it is all about the Indy 500... :evil:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Old Ironsights wrote:Didn't say it was for Veterans...

But Veterans tend (and are honor bound IMO) to lead the Memorials when possible...

Amen Sir. The local cemetary has a pretty big do. The local VFW and Legionaires participate. And, some of vets that don't belong to either organization help out as well. Strangely, most cities and towns used to have parades on both Memorial and Veterans days, today only one small adjacent city does. It's not a big parade, but the message of thanks is present in a big way.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

I belong to the DVA, Disabled American Veterans.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Old Ironsights wrote:Didn't say it was for Veterans...

I know you didn't. I just thought I'd head off all the WACKOS that think it's for those that died of lung cancer, the piles, a flaming migrane, etc..

Yer darn right -- Veterans should get involved in Memorial Day as much as possible.

Not to toot my horn but just to let ya know, I am a Life Member of:

Veterans of Foreigh Wars
Disabled American Veterans
Fleet Reserve Association
ED
Yer never too old
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thank you all for your service to our country... and your service to your fallen comrades...
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:Around here, it is all about the Indy 500... :evil:
If there was any way to get to the Box Announcer...

The Nascar/Indy crowd tends to be pretty Pro Vet/US.

Maybe if the announcer said somthing to the effect?

I'm too far North to make a difference, but if the Indy Vets stepped up...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
papasan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papasan »

Been a member of the American Legion
since 95.

Post 7 Rhinelander Wi.

God Bless America

papasan
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Each has won a glorious grave - not that sepulchre of earth wherein they lie, but the living tomb of everlasting remembrance wherein their glory is enshrined. For the whole earth is the sepulchre of heroes. Monuments may rise and tablets be set up to them in their own land, but on far-off shores there is an abiding memorial that no pen or chisel has traced; it is graven not on stone or brass, but on the living hearts of humanity.
Take these men for your example. Like them, remember that prosperity can be only for the free, that freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

Old Ironsights wrote:...If you are eligible to be in the Legion &/or VFW (DAV, etc, etc), but are not... why not?
I never checked out VFW but I did join the Legion when we first moved here after I retired. I was a member for a year and never had one instant where it occurred to me I ought to be over there doing something. Not complaining, nothing they did wrong, I just had no interest, time, or reason to go do anything. I understand my dues would be useful to them regardless what I might or might not get out of it, but I am in the predicament of having to choose which orgs I will grace with my inactivity and money. This one didn't make the cut.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I understand your reasoning. I have no interest or desire to be part of the "club" either... heck, I'm the youngest one there by 20+ years. There is very little connection... except for one thing: The Uniform.

Here's where I'm coming from.

Most of these clubs are Old and literally Dying.

When they die out, who will do Graveside Duty for the Vets? The Active & Reserve components don't have the time/money/manpower to send Honor Guards to the literally thousands of Veterans funerals per week.

That is a job only the local Veterans Orgs can do.

I am a member not because I want to participate in a "club", but because without Vet Orgs there will be no more Honor Guards.

The families of our Vets deserve better than that.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

VFW member.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:( When I first retired from the Military, I joined the VFW in Oly, Wa, performed with their band and helped set up flags on three different holidays......These WWII and Korea Vets were hard nuts to crack. They didn't think Nam-Era Vets were "real" Vets and made no secret of it :roll:, so I would have got in trouble if I had stayed around much longer.... Maybe I'll try again one of these days with a different, closer chapter.
I'm thinking that with all the work DAV does with the VA, I'll give them my money and support.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

BlaineG said:
They didn't think Nam-Era Vets were "real" Vets and made no secret of it
I've never run into that problem in any VFW Hall I've ever been to. No problems what-so-ever. Now-a-days especially, there should be no problems. Many VFW Halls are closing these days due to lack of participation. They'd fall all over themselves welcoming Vets from any era into the fold.
ED
Yer never too old
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Modoc ED wrote:... Many VFW Halls are closing these days due to lack of participation. They'd fall all over themselves welcoming Vets from any era into the fold.
Yep... though there are some VN vets who don't think that the Sandbox Kidz deserve a chance either... That's just how it is, but the smarter folks/clubs understand the problem.

I get anywhere from one to four requests per week to play Taps... not counting the gravesides my Legion Post does. (I just got 2 more for Memorial Day in the noon Email...)

The number of Gravesides requiring Honors so far outstrips the available volunteer manpower that you can't imagine.

If every Elegible Vet joined a local Vet Org to do nothing else but serve at one local Graveside a month, there would be no shortage.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

What Blaine G. said.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BlaineG wrote::( When I first retired from the Military, I joined the VFW in Oly, Wa, performed with their band and helped set up flags on three different holidays......These WWII and Korea Vets were hard nuts to crack. They didn't think Nam-Era Vets were "real" Vets and made no secret of it :roll:, so I would have got in trouble if I had stayed around much longer.... Maybe I'll try again one of these days with a different, closer chapter.
I'm thinking that with all the work DAV does with the VA, I'll give them my money and support.
Blaine, I think it was pretty much the same all over. But, sad to say, the old guys are dying out, and those that are left have finally realized that we were "real" vets as well.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jeepnik wrote:
BlaineG wrote::( When I first retired from the Military, I joined the VFW in Oly, Wa, performed with their band and helped set up flags on three different holidays......These WWII and Korea Vets were hard nuts to crack. They didn't think Nam-Era Vets were "real" Vets and made no secret of it :roll:, so I would have got in trouble if I had stayed around much longer.... Maybe I'll try again one of these days with a different, closer chapter.
Blaine, I think it was pretty much the same all over. But, sad to say, the old guys are dying out, and those that are left have finally realized that we were "real" vets as well.
I encountered the same hostility as Blaine... then when my HS bud and fellow VN Vet made chapter pres & made a special effort to invite me... it was me that failed the test. Keep reflecting on that everytime I see one group or another mentioned... time is my limiting factor... Wife made me give up the Reserves a few years back... spent far too much of my limited time home away at some duty function. No excuse, simple reason. Maybe when I do finally retire from the road it'll be time to get round to it!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ironsides, a big thanks for playing taps. Every service member deserves that. With the budget cuts, they can't send much more than a recording or a bugle looking contraption that plays taps with a chip. I never could play trumpet, but I wonder if I could squeeze taps out of one :idea: There was a lady at the VFW Band I was talking about that played as many of those as she could. I think she asked for gas and lunch, but always got more than that. I know she did thousands. She must be in her eighties and still doing it, I think.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV