Does a .45 Cal. Bullet Really *Need* To Expand On N Am. Game

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Does a .45 Cal. Bullet Really *Need* To Expand On N Am. Game

Post by Cosmoline »

I'm running into a distinct shortage of bullets and brass for my .450 Marlin. The only thing I have a ton of are 350 grain hardcast FN bullets from Oregon Trail. Loading these up got me wondering, with a bullet .458" diameter to start with, and a flat nose, do you really need to use expanding bullets? Obviously the lead will slow me down a bit from the .450's maximum velocities. But how much is that going to matter inside of 100 yards? For moose, black bear, and animals on down, are the FN cast leads going to work fine? Is there a threshhold energy level I need to load for? I've never hunted with big hardcasts, just shot targets.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Does a .45 Cal. Bullet Really *Need* To Expand On N Am. Game

Post by Blaine »

No :wink: I can't imagine anything withstanding a good, solid hit with what you are loading. Maybe not the big bears. :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Cosmoline,

If you will think back through the history of hunting firearms and cartridges in this country you'll realize that your 450 with that hard cast 350gr bullet will take anything that walks on this continent, including the big bears.

Every thing that walks has been taken and taken cleanly with the piddly small 30-30 or smaller. I'd load them up to a good strong load, and never worry about it.

JMHO, as I've never swallowed the uber heavy high velocity bullet spam.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Well, look at the solids that are used in that caliber. They don't expand and pretty near (do) kill anything they're used on. Same goes for the .444 Marlin and other calibers. Look at the Belt Mountain solids that are used in the .44 Magnum. No expansion. Kill everything they touch.
ED
Yer never too old
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Big bullets, make big holes without need of expansion.
Right on!!!!!!!!!! Will do the job!!
Gotta love Big Bores.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That's why I love big bores.
Old Law Dawg
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My .357 WFNs don't expand... and kill deer DRT really well...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

That's good to know.

BTW, have other people been noticing that everything is running out? I can't get .450 brass anywhere including Midway. Local powder supply is kaput. The reloading shelves remind me of a Soviet supermarket. The local ads are full of requests for basic supplies like primers. I've never seen anything like this, even in Alaska.
Last edited by Cosmoline on Tue May 12, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

that's the reason that the .444, 450 marlin were chambered in lever actions. to put a 300 grain bullet in the boiler room of a GREAT BEAR and knock him flat without worrying about expansion. 8)
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

That .458 diameter is big enough on its own, as others have said. Just might slow it down some though. Yes there is a shortage of bullets, brass, primers, and powder.

By the way, how's the job hunt going?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Preexpanded at the factory.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Even on the big African stuff, "solids" are recommended in the big calibers
for stuff like elephant, hippo, and buff. Penetration is more important than
expansion, methinks. Not to worry Cosmo; a good, solid hit in the vitals with a
.458 300 gr. bullet will discourage most anything! :-)
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

Old Time Hunter wrote:That .458 diameter is big enough on its own, as others have said. Just might slow it down some though. Yes there is a shortage of bullets, brass, primers, and powder.

By the way, how's the job hunt going?
Who's job hunt?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Expansion certainly helps. A good meplat and a sharp driving band on the bullet will aid the wound channel quite a bit.
I wouldn't worry about having to slow the 450 down. The 45-75 winchester spit a 350 gr flatnosed bullet at about 1400 fps, and was highly thought of back in its day. Speed isn't always required.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I've had good luck with cast boolits over a dose of black in my Sharps. That big ol' flat fronted slug will kill hawgs graveyard dead with little if any expansion when they are punched thru the boiler room. I have no idea how fast they are moving but I'm sure it's nowhere near magnum velocity.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A bad hit with a .458 solid lead bullet will take a while to kill a tough animal as I sadly found out about a month ago. A good hit would probably work in one shot. I need to find time for more practice.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

piller wrote:A bad hit with a .458 solid lead bullet will take a while to kill a tough animal as I sadly found out about a month ago. A good hit would probably work in one shot. I need to find time for more practice.

A bad hit with any caliber, except with an exploding bullet, will general have the same outcome. :roll:
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Old Savage wrote:Preexpanded at the factory.
:lol: :lol:

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

A big hard bullet will leave a big deep hole, even at modest velocities. Velocity becomes much more of a factor with smaller-diameter expanding bullets.

Heck, even a 35 caliber hole is "big" when you're talking about perforating an animal's vitals.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

To be specific, the load I'm working up will throw the 350 grain .458" hardcast bullet at a rather sedate speed of 1500 FPS, generating only about 1750 ft. lbs. at the muzzle. That's a big drop down from what this rifle is capable of with jacketed rounds. Assuming a lower right quadrant hit inside 100 yards, do you think that's enough to anchor a black bear or should I wait for Midway's supply of Hornady FP's to get back in stock?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

If a 300 gr from a 454 casull doing 1600 is good for everything from mice to mastedons, I see no reason why a 350 at 1500 from a 45 cal rifle isn't just as good.
405 gr from a 45-70 doing 1400 has claimed everything on this continent and a few others.
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike Rintoul »

I shoot a lot of stuff with cast bullets. Most are .50 diameter. With that being said, there are a lot of reasons to choose a controlled expanding bullet for bear hunting. Read this article for more:
http://www.gunblast.com/JoeRiekers-BearHunting.htm

I recall Joe and Ricky telling me about Piller's oryx, hit with a 350 gr cast bullet out of a 45-70. I was told the hit was literally 1/2 in from cutting vitals. The exit wound was smaller than caliber diameter and clogged up with a piece of sinew, greatly slowing blood loss. I was not there. Maybe Piller can chime in if anyone wants more details. When you consider that a Kodiak bullet of the same weight will typically expand to .80" or a 405 gr to 1.0" the small difference in diameter could be deadly. We can all agree that if the cast bullet was on its mark in the first place it would do the job more than sufficiently. However, with the cost and effort of some hunts you may want to stack the odds in your favor by the slight edge that may be possible with a good expanding bullet.
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks for the link. Good reading.

I spent an afternoon with Joe a couple summers ago bs'ing about bullets and
hunting, etc. Really changed my opinions on bullets and performance on large game animals.

I have yet to take on anything larger than a deer with a hardcast bullet. That deer never took a step after it was hit. Shot went through the lungs, my shot was farther back that I had planned and she took quite some time to bleed out even with a .458 hole on either side.
It's my belief is had I used the 350 Gr. Hornady FP that I also had along the bullet would have expanded and the doe would have bled much more quickly. I finally borrowd Joe's .40S&W and put her down. Couldn't stand wathcing her struggle.

Anyway, I'm a firm believer in matching the bullets to the game. However sometimes you have to use what you got!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Cosmoline wrote:To be specific, the load I'm working up will throw the 350 grain .458" hardcast bullet at a rather sedate speed of 1500 FPS, generating only about 1750 ft. lbs. at the muzzle.
Energy is such a misleading factor in killing power that I pay no attention to it at all. A 350 grain .458" hardcast bullet that leaves the muzzle at 1500 fps has enormous killing power. If placed into the vitals, it will kill anything that has ever walked on this continent.

Bogie
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Bogie35 wrote:
Cosmoline wrote:To be specific, the load I'm working up will throw the 350 grain .458" hardcast bullet at a rather sedate speed of 1500 FPS, generating only about 1750 ft. lbs. at the muzzle.
Energy is such a misleading factor in killing power that I pay no attention to it at all. A 350 grain .458" hardcast bullet that leaves the muzzle at 1500 fps has enormous killing power. If placed into the vitals, it will kill anything that has ever walked on this continent.

Bogie
And probably 7 or 8 other continents , truth be told.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Here's some factory loaded Hornady .450 Marlin that is AVAILABLE in case you want some.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=122888

MidwayUSA also have a ton of .458 Jacketed bullets available right now too. No brass but LOTS of bullets.
ED
Yer never too old
Timothy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Timothy »

Why are you stopping at 1500fps? I run hardcast 405's in 45-70 up to 1700-1800fps.
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Don McDowell wrote:
Bogie35 wrote:

Bogie
That would be very true. Randy Garrett's 45/70 ammo has taken the Big Six in Africa from a Guide Gun no less.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/reviews2.asp
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

Here's some factory loaded Hornady .450 Marlin that is AVAILABLE in case you want some.
Sadly it's not available to me thanks to Alaska's neighbor the Soviet Kanukistan Republics. I could get into the fact that the Alaska Highway was built with US labor on the understanding that Americans and their goods would have free, unfettered access through Canada to Alaska, but I won't. As it stands now the only way to get loaded ammo, primers or anything else that goes "boom" up here is to have it put on a barge in Seattle.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Don McDowell wrote:
Bogie35 wrote:

Bogie
That would be very true. Randy Garrett's 45/70 ammo has taken the Big Six in Africa from a Guide Gun no less.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/reviews2.asp
Garrett's loads used on DG are NOT 350 grain light weights
:wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Cosmoline wrote:
Sadly it's not available to me thanks to Alaska's neighbor the Soviet Kanukistan Republics. I could get into the fact that the Alaska Highway was built with US labor on the understanding that Americans and their goods would have free, unfettered access through Canada to Alaska, but I won't. As it stands now the only way to get loaded ammo, primers or anything else that goes "boom" up here is to have it put on a barge in Seattle.
Order it 3rd Day Air.
ED
Yer never too old
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

What do you mean, "The lead will slow me down from the 450s max velocities"????? Do you not know the lead has a LOWER co-efficient of friction than a copper-jacketed soft or hollow point? How in the world would the HC lead bullets slow you down from the max velocities??? Especially with a gas-check. You use the same powder charge & you're gonna get HIGHER velocities!!! jd45
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Savage wrote:Preexpanded at the factory.
Sounds like a good marketing slogan for the Linebaugh family of cartridges... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

I always say the "Velocity goes away, while MASS does not." Big heavy bullets penetrate deep at moderate or even slow velocities, 1000 to 1600 fps. On deer I've never had one of my 405s leaving the muzzle of my 1895SS at 1600 fps stop in and animal. everyone has been a pass through. I also do not agree with the expanding bullet crowd.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

Modoc ED wrote: Order it 3rd Day Air.
Negatory. Midway won't do it and I've never heard anyone pulling it off. One of the prices of living in the greatland.
Why are you stopping at 1500fps? I run hardcast 405's in 45-70 up to 1700-1800fps
I should have explained, accuracy drops off badly. I have buffalo bores but they're erratic out of this rifle. She likes a load of 24 grains 2400 and mid-weight bullets.

At any rate, I dug around and found a half can of 4198 along with some 350 Hornady Interlocks. Those will do me fine.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Cosmoline wrote:To be specific, the load I'm working up will throw the 350 grain .458" hardcast bullet at a rather sedate speed of 1500 FPS, generating only about 1750 ft. lbs. at the muzzle. That's a big drop down from what this rifle is capable of with jacketed rounds. Assuming a lower right quadrant hit inside 100 yards, do you think that's enough to anchor a black bear or should I wait for Midway's supply of Hornady FP's to get back in stock?
Yep. 350 grains of lead moving at 1500 fps wont stop in many living things. If youre only going to push them 1500 fps you might consider softer bullets, then you get the best of both worlds, cheap bullets & expansion. From what I gather black bears arent hard to kill. Plenty of people take them with 357's. I like my 45/70 bullets a little heavier but cant think of anything I wouldn't shoot, short of big bears, with a 405 cast bullet going 1300 or so FPS.
Everything the US has used to be shot with soft lead bullets going 1300 or so fps.