Excuses, Excuses.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Excuses, Excuses.

Post by Gun Smith »

Back in the day, I used to regularly get all sorts of guns into the shop in pieces in boxes paper bags, rags, you name it. The excuse was always the same, "my 90 year old Grandmother took it apart to clean it - my buddy took it apart------ - my dog took it apart----- - my 2 year old son took it apart ------, etc.
No one wanted to take the responsibility for themselves. Is this still the case with you current 'smiths?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Excuses, Excuses.

Post by Blaine »

They are just embarassed......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Don't forget the ones, "My Buddy was in the military and said he could fix it." It seems a few beers made him an expert. They are still out there. ATB
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I can safely say that I have never had to have someone else re-assemble any gun I have taken apart. It may take me a while to do it, but I always get them back together. They usually work--correctly!--when I do get them together, too! :D
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

What bugs me is the screw or part they dropped behind the freezer and couldn't find it. "Oh yeah, all the parts are here."
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The first rifle that comes to mind is the Nylon 66. I don't think there is anything as "evil" as that action. It's one rimfire I have avoided.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The Browning auto five is another one that will warp your mind if you are not used to them. And to think old John dreamed up those complicated designs mostly in his head!! :o
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Gun Smith wrote:Back in the day, I used to regularly get all sorts of guns into the shop in pieces in boxes paper bags, rags, you name it. The excuse was always the same, "my 90 year old Grandmother took it apart to clean it - my buddy took it apart------ - my dog took it apart----- - my 2 year old son took it apart ------, etc.
No one wanted to take the responsibility for themselves. Is this still the case with you current 'smiths?
Yep. Had one brought in with "It worked yesterday, I've got no idea why it won't work today," and was missing two internal parts... "No, never took it apart..." :roll:

I tried, once upon a time, without a manual, guidebook or what have you, to work on my Lyman/Pietta Remington New Army .44 repro. BROKE the trigger in two at the hole. I owed up to it. Jon said, probably knowing before he opened his mouth, "what happened?" I told him, and apparently it was only the first or second time he'd heard such judging by his expression, "I put it back together wrong and broke it!" That was a cheap lesson for me.

We did have a young man who tried to fix his grand-dad's Official Police by taking it apart... *sigh*, that one is thoroughly muddled.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I know my limitations. Rugers Mk1 and Mk2 .22lr semiautos kick my butt. HATE putting it back together. I have never gotten the hang of that. May be why I like revolvers so much.

:lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

JustaJeepGuy wrote:I can safely say that I have never had to have someone else re-assemble any gun I have taken apart. It may take me a while to do it, but I always get them back together. They usually work--correctly!--when I do get them together, too! :D
Same here.

I will NEVER take a Winchester '95 apart again!
Mauser Broomhandles are no fun either!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Reminds me of the folks who come in to the office with foreign objects stuck in embarassing places; they always say they were just sitting on the kitchen stool when they came downstairs for a snack, and 'oops' :oops: something was on the stool...

You just have to humor them and deal with the issue; it does no good to confront and embarass them.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

rjohns94 wrote:I know my limitations. Rugers Mk1 and Mk2 .22lr semiautos kick my butt. HATE putting it back together. I have never gotten the hang of that. May be why I like revolvers so much.

Putting the MKI/II series back together is EXACTLY why I'll never stray from my Buckmark again... :lol: Well, that and the fact it outshot both MKIIs I owned. :wink:

Someone makes a "speed strip" kit for the MKI/IIs. Forget who it is but I did install one and it worked pretty well.

2ndovc, Broomies are just a 3-D puzzle with real world applications. The best part is there's only one screw to lose! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

rjohns94 wrote:I know my limitations. Rugers Mk1 and Mk2 .22lr semiautos kick my butt. HATE putting it back together. I have never gotten the hang of that. May be why I like revolvers so much.

I don't have a problem with the Ruger Mark I and Mark II semi-auto pistols but I did have a heck of a time with a first issue Remington Model 760. Man, working that barrel out was a real bear.
ED
Yer never too old
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

I even had a hard time getting my Marlin back together! :oops: :oops: :oops:
I kept insisting on putting the extractor in backward. I finally agreed to do it like it was supposed to be done. :roll:
:D :D

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I will admit I have taken a pistol to a gun store and asked for help getting her back together. I just couldn't get a replacement part to fit, and wasn't willing to damage the gun or part to do so. Did make me feel better that neither could the gun smith, and he had to work on the part a bit to make it fit.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Kinda' like a "puzzle". :wink:
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

BlaineG wrote:They are just embarassed......

You ought to know. You have me or Sure-Shot do all the real work on your guns. :twisted:
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Both most recent and most memorable for me was the Beaumont Vitalli I was given. The previous owner had traded a half pint of whiskey for it 20 years ago(I think it was twice that) and told me it was a 45-70(glad he didn't try to shoot it with the ammo he got with it). He took it down to his basement and took it apart to "clean" it, then never did. I got it as a pile of parts. He said it was all there, it wasn't, and there were "parts" extra in the coffee can that didn't go with it. He took it all apart, as in every screw. Since I didn't know what it was, it was a pretty good puzzle. I learned what it was after posting a picture on here. That lead me to other forum and what parts I still needed to get it complete(it is now 3 years later, parts ain't easy to find). He did own up to taking it apart and since he'd gone blind since the event, I didn't fault him for not putting it back together.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

In my college years, I was reassembling my model 12 winchester after cleaning it and one of my roommates asked me if I knew how to put guns back together. I told him I was no gunsmith but I could usually figure things out if I saw the gun assembled. He went into his bedroom and came out with a box of parts for an 1897 12 gauge that he had taken apart one night after having a few too many.

I told him that since it was the forerunner to the model 12 that I might be able to figure it out. The first attempt left me with a gun that was together except for one part. I studied the assembled gun until I identified the place where that piece most likely fit, and was able to get it back up and running for him. The amazing part to me was that all of the pieces were there after a 2 year stint in a shoe box!! :o

It was during that period too that I decided I was going to try to disassemble my dad's old 86. I remember loosening the hammer screw and feeling the spring tension push it to the side as soon as it was out of the threads. IIRC it took several minutes or so to get the screw started again. It was over thirty years before I tried that again when I did tear it down. It is amazing what a difference removing the butt stock and the hammer spring makes when working on an 86. :oops:
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

I had just the opposite experience. I took a Herter's .401 powermag, all together in a pistol case, to a recomended gunsmith working in a gun store. It needed new hammer and trigger account the guy I bought from liked to fan it for fun, broke the sears off. After 2 weeks I went back, he handed me the case with the gun all in pieces said he couldn't get parts. I took it home, called Herter's (they were still in business then) had the parts in about 3 days and proceeded to figure out how it all went back together. Needless to say I never recomended this "smith" to anybody.
UNITE
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I "brown bagged" TWO handguns, a Ruger S.S and a Colt Woodsman. This was back in the seventies when I was in my early twenties. It embarrassed me to the point I decided I needed to learn it proper. I have since spent about 3 million dollars on assembly/reassembly books and have got quite good at it. I can rip most any Winchester, Marlin, SA Colt, S&W, or Ruger down to nothing and put her back---right. -------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bear 45/70 wrote:

You ought to know. You have me or Sure-Shot do all the real work on your guns. :twisted:
I would never hide the truth....That's mighty *expletive deleted* of you to think of me :lol: It's a fair trade off, though...you help me with 'smithing and I teach you how to act in public..... :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

BlaineG wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:

I would never hide the truth....That's mighty *expletive deleted* of you to think of me :lol: It's a fair trade off, though...you help me with 'smithing and I teach you how to act in public..... :twisted:
If what you say is true, then you have fallen down on the job badly. Image
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have taken a gun to a smith once. It was a catastrophic failure in a Llama .45 junker. The metal just gave way while shooting a magazine full of PMC 230 grain hardball. The smith was able to cobble it back together, and it works, but I still don't fully trust it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost