Lil' Gun in 32-20

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cslcal
Levergunner

Lil' Gun in 32-20

Post by cslcal »

Has anyone used Hodgons Lil' Gun in a 32-20 rifle. My shooting partner tried 7.5 grs. with a 90 gr. Sierra in a 94 CL Marlin an it shot well but lacked velocity. My silhouette ram setting for my .22 mag was less that what he needed to hit the pig. I was wondering what it might take to get around 1400 fps. with this powder. There just isn't much data out there. Al
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lil' Gun in 32-20

Post by Tycer »

I run 8 grains under a 118 grain gas checked cast and there's plenty of room for velocity increase IMO. I probably won't because the groups are so small and I won't be hunting deer with it.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

I HAVE USED 8.5gr OF LILGUN UNDER 115gr LFN BULLETS IN THE BR.53 AND THE HARTFORD 7 1/2" SAA. THAT LOAD SHOOTS LIKE A MILLION BUCKS IN BOTH GUNS AND FLYS RIGHT AT 1500fps FROM THE RIFLE. IT HAS ALSO KNOCKED THE LIVIN' STEW OUTTA EVERYTHING I'VE RAN ONE INTO. IT'LL GROUP RIGHT AROUND AN INCH AT 50 YARDS WITH OPEN SIGHTS AND MY HALF VAST TIRED OL' EYES.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I use Terry's exact same load in my Marlin, flattens the rams right smartly.
cslcal
Levergunner

Post by cslcal »

Thanks for the replies. That's about what I thought would work. He is using a 90 gr. Sierra and might need 9.0 or 9.5 to get 1500 fps. I was really baffled last night as we got him a chicken zero and he needed to go up about 16 clicks to center a pig, and like I said a whole bunch more to hit the rams. He did chronograph the 7.5 load at almost 1500 fps; but I think his chronograph is faulty. My 32-20 with a Hornady 100 gr, XTP and 5.5 grs. of Unique will get to the rams in 26 clicks. Better yet my 25-20 will get there in 12 clicks. Now that's flat shootin'. Al
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

With my Marlin 1994CL and a Marlbles tang sight, I am up 22 clicks from the chix to the rams, using a 6 o'clock hold.
cslcal
Levergunner

Post by cslcal »

That's flatter than mine with the Unique. ( 1350 fps ) I also want to try some Lil' Gun in my 32-20; but I just got a 25-20 and I have to get that out of my system before I go back to the 32. I am off to a 3 gun silhouette match near Waterville, Pa. tomorrow. It will be my first match with the 25. Al
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Talk about timely posts!!! I decided the other day to try some Lilgun. Never used it before and wanted to try it in the .22 Hornet. So I looked at H's website, and they listed loads for the Hornet, 30 carbine, and 25-20...but not the 32-20. So I head to town with the thought that once I pick up a pound I'll have to post on this forum for loads for the 32....I get back, log on and find this thread.....hmmmm...ESP???? :lol:

Ed
cslcal
Levergunner

Post by cslcal »

Ed, Let us know how you make out. Al
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Kansas Ed wrote:Talk about timely posts!!! I decided the other day to try some Lilgun. Never used it before and wanted to try it in the .22 Hornet. So I looked at H's website, and they listed loads for the Hornet, 30 carbine, and 25-20...but not the 32-20. So I head to town with the thought that once I pick up a pound I'll have to post on this forum for loads for the 32....I get back, log on and find this thread.....hmmmm...ESP???? :lol:

Ed
After you try Lil Gun in your Hornet, you'll throw rocks at everything else! You are gonna be SOOOO happy. :D
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Kansas Ed wrote:Talk about timely posts!!! I decided the other day to try some Lilgun. Never used it before and wanted to try it in the .22 Hornet. So I looked at H's website, and they listed loads for the Hornet, 30 carbine, and 25-20...but not the 32-20. So I head to town with the thought that once I pick up a pound I'll have to post on this forum for loads for the 32....I get back, log on and find this thread.....hmmmm...ESP???? :lol:

Ed
Ed,

Ya want some Hornet brass I have laying around? FREE!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
shooter444002
Levergunner

Post by shooter444002 »

I was wondering myself as I use 13gr in my bee with 40gr bullets and love it in my 357.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Travis Morgan wrote:

Ed
Ed,

Ya want some Hornet brass I have laying around? FREE!
Sure!! Thanks!! That little LoWall Hornet is one of my favorite shootin rifles....matter of fact...I don't know what your schedule is, but we should make a range trip and meet up once.

Ed
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

No kiddin'! I'm a member everywhere around here! I'll PM ya my cell. My schedule's pretty well open, as I'm still getting over back surgery... I hope! (I'd hate to think this is as "better" as I'll get!)
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I ran through half grain increments from 7.5 to 11.5 today in a Remington 25. In this gun, 8 still works best under 118 grain cast. Five shot strings. 50 yards. Tang sight.
7.5 two inches
8 under an inch
8.5 two inches
9 four inch vertical string
9.5 five inch circle
10 two groups of two four inches apart and a9" flyer
10.5 four under an inch with a 9" flyer
11 2" diagonal string
11.5 two groups 2" apart.

No chrony.
Kind regards,
Tycer
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Kind of cool that you can have that much of a dosage range with a powder...!

It seems like so many powders out there have a fairly narrow range between "starting" load and "maximum" load........many explicitly saying NOT to go below the "starting" load.........is that for fear of stuck-bullets, or 'low density load detonation', or accidental double-charging - or just lawyer-disclaimer stuff...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

This is interesting that you fellows are getting such good results with Lil'Gun in these light loads. I looked at these in QuickLoad and QL thinks that 8 grains would get just a bit over 1100 fps at 7K psi. If you are getting 1400 fps out of 8 grains that is a different Lil'Gun than QL has in its database.

I have only used Lil'Gun with 11 to 12 grains for 1700 to 1800 fps loads with 120 grain gas-checked bullet. And I do get about 100 fps more velocity than QL predicts. But I sure don't get 300 fps more.

I'm wondering if there are some large lot-to-lot variations in Lil'Gun. I bought a pound of it some years ago and the starting load from Hodgdon blew the primer totally out of my K-hornet. I had already ordered up an 8# jug and that seemed just fine with the Hodgdon data. Later on I just mixed that pound into the jug and that is what I've been using. Wishing now I'd tested the powder a bit to see if that one exciting shot was an anomaly. By the way, that was a low-wall Winchester, so I can tell you the low-wall is a strong action, 'cause I shorely did test her that day.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Not to be the antagonist here, but as human beings, we are doomed to a lifetime of experimentation in the magical quest for "something better".

I have loaded for dozens of guns in 32-20 and with the exception of "speciality" loads, I have yet to find anything better than 5.5 of Unique for a rifle and 3 grains of Bullseye for a sixgun. It's the bullet that counts, not the powder.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Since I last posted here over 6 years ago, things have changed a little . I am still using Lil Gun in my 32-20 with the Lasercast 115 grain bullet. Back 2 or 3 years ago when we couldn't get primers at all, I ran out of small pistol primers except for some Federal 200 Magnums that I had. I backed the load down to 8 grains and tried it out, never did chronograph it but discovered a very noticeable increase in accuracy, so I have stuck with it ever since. By the sound and the recoil it is warmer than the previous load and knocks down the targets very smartly, no pressure signs at all. I only make minor sight adjustments with my Marbles tang sight, up 4 clicks for pigs, up 4 more for turkeys and up 4 more for rams. I have been shooting around 30x40 with this load all winter and cant blame any misses on the load. :lol:
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Interesting thread y'all have revived here...I just ordered 8 pounds of Lil Gun for use in my .45 Colt +P loads. And some Winchester 296.
I figured I better get some pistol powder while it's available instead of waiting until the next panic to wish I had...
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

vancelw wrote:Interesting thread y'all have revived here...I just ordered 8 pounds of Lil Gun for use in my .45 Colt +P loads. And some Winchester 296.
I figured I better get some pistol powder while it's available instead of waiting until the next panic to wish I had...
Wise. Very wise.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I got to spend some time with the chrony and Lil'Gun today. Interesting results. 10 shot strings except the Colt which was 6

Earl, it is position sensitive with regards to speed and sd, but groups are about the same size and print within an inch elevation.

Win 92 32-20 relined 24" octagon barrel 8gr LG, WSP Primer 311316 GC WW All bullets lubed with 50/50 Alox 2138F/Beeswax

Barrel level without seating powder
1470 fps, 40.45 sd

Barrel up to settle powder
1528 fps, 9.79 sd

Win 92 32-20 relined 24" octagon barrel 3gr Bullseye, WSP Primer 311316 GC WW

Barrel up
1024 fps, 10.14 sd Printed 9.5" lower @ 25 yds

Colt PPS 32-20 6"? 3gr Bullseye, WSP Primer 311316 GC WW
713 fps 14.59 sd

Remington Model 25 24"? round barrel 8gr LG, WSP Primer 311316 GC WW
Barrel level
1453 fps, 47.29 sd

Barrel up to settle powder
7 strings averaged 1476 fps, ave sd was 30.12 (ranged from 7 to 36)

Remington Model 25 24"? round barrel 8gr LG, WSP Primer 31008 Plain Base WW

Barrel up
3 strings 1470 fps, ave sd 29.19

I load both the 311316 and the 31008 to the same depth - the base is the same distance in the case. The 311316 groups a bit tighter than the 31008 and a bit to the left and a bit higher.

The Win, the Colt and two strings of the Rem were at 25yds - I got a new scope for the Rem
The rest of the strings from the rem were at 50yds.

In addition, I chronied Aguila Match Rifle out of my 10/22 takedown. This gun loves these rounds. Without weighing or measuring rim thickness, they'll stay within 3/4" @ 50 with one out of 100 off in left field. If I weigh them, measure rims and separate into groups the groupings shrink by half. One MOA at 100. Love this combination. Bought plenty when I found they were so well matched.

Anyway. . .

10 ten shot strings(minus 3 stovepipes) averaged 1041 fps and 17.07 sd
Kind regards,
Tycer
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I use that same 90gr Sierra JHP for silhouette exclusively, with the same rifle you have. 9.5gr of 2400 produces enough velocity, to knock anything down no matter where you hit it. You can pump that bullet up a bit more without any problems.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Had a quick moment to run a string of 7.5 grain 3118 loads out of the Rem 25. 1354 with an 8 sd
Kind regards,
Tycer