OT: Best WW1 Movies

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Best WW1 Movies

Post by Old No7 »

Watching (yet again) the recent movie "The Lost Battalion" got me to thinking...

Are there any other decent movies about W.W.1?

I saw "Fly Boys" which was OK (some of the computer effects were overdone, me-thinks...) and I remember seeing the movie "Blue Max" or something like that when I was a kid... But are there any others about the ground warfare that are worth seeing?

That's probably the least-viewed war for me, and I think it'd be neat to see some more, history or fiction.

Thanks!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

"Sergeant York"! :D
Kilroy6644
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Kilroy6644 »

There's the classic All Quiet On The Western Front, but I can't think of anything more recent except The Lost Battalion, and you already covered that..
Last edited by Kilroy6644 on Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KILROY WAS HERE

"It's too bad that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs."
Kilroy6644
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Kilroy6644 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:"Sergeant York"! :D
Good one! I forgot that.
KILROY WAS HERE

"It's too bad that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs."
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

"What Price Glory" w/ James Cagney and several others I can't think of right now.

"The Lighthorseman" and "Gallipoli" are good ones too! I'll probably think of some more.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

dawn patrol; erroll flynn, david niven.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Hells Angels and the name escapes of the other one that used genuine WWI planes in it too..IIRC it was Gary Cooper's first film..He was a bit player in it..
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

The very first Oscar winning movie 1927's "WINGS" with Clara Bow & Charles Rodgers.
A more recent (2006) flick "Flyboys" was entertaining with great CGI WWI plane scenes with the only major complaint being the cylinders of the WWI era radial engines NOT spinning with the propellors like they're supposed too.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

"Paths of Glory" with Kirk Douglas
"The Light Horsemen" - an Australian film - and I may not have the title exactly right...
"The Fighting 69th" with James Cagney and Pat O'Brien as Father Duffy.
If my old- guy head dredges up any more, I'll try to remember to post them.

Of course, "Lawrence of Arabia!"
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Flyboyz...

Post by Old No7 »

...the cylinders of the WWI era radial engines NOT spinning with the propellors like they're supposed too...

Hmm... Didn't catch that! Guess I'll have to rent it again!

Thanks all!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

airedaleman wrote:"Paths of Glory" with Kirk Douglas
"The Light Horsemen" - an Australian film - and I may not have the title exactly right...
"The Fighting 69th" with James Cagney and Pat O'Brien as Father Duffy.
If my old- guy head dredges up any more, I'll try to remember to post them.

Dittos, those are what I'd have listed as the best along with "Sergeant York".

While WWI was traumatic for most of the world, it wasn't so much for the US as we were only in it for a bit. E.g. the 116th Regt (and 29 ID) were only there for one year and only at the front from late June 1918 to November 1918.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

This summer there's a move titled Passchendaele coming out. Although the first trailer I saw made it seem like a love story that just happens to involve a First World War soldier :(
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

A Very Long Engagement starring Audrey Tautou is a love story based upon finding her missing fiancee after WWI. It is in French but subtitled, and well worth a watch. I think it captures the mud and terrible trench conditions of the war quite well. Blockbuster around here carries it in their foreign section.

BTW I am a huge Audrey Tautou fan...

Ed[/i]
Kilroy6644
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Kilroy6644 »

airedaleman wrote:"Paths of Glory" with Kirk Douglas
Of course! How could I miss that? I've got the soundtrack on order right now.
KILROY WAS HERE

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I bought my son the collector's edition of Sgt. York last year for Christmas. It came with an extra DVD with bio's on it.

There's also also Joyeux Noel. Which is about the soldiers that made up their own truce for Christmas.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Right! "Wings" that was the one I was thinking of in my first post..
"FlyBoys"... Aside from the rotory engine problem Ji mentioned..It seems the only plane in the Hun inventory was, what else, but the DR-1 Lol.. The Zeppelin attack rocked! Also had a problem with English/Euro Steam Trains (lousy whisltles!) up there in Montana or whatever state the US FlyBoys came from..
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

A great WWI RELATED movie is The Great Waldo Pepper which takes place shortly after the War to end all Wars. Great Fokker Triplane and Sopwith dogfight at the end.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

+ 1 for Waldo Pepper! Love it when Waldo pulls the cotter keys that held the wheels on the Jenny & the consequent ditching in the pond.. NO Comp Graphics THERE!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thanks Ben...yeah forgot to mention INCREDIBlE stunt flying with vintage machines. :oops:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

A post WW1 war movie I really enjoy is ' High Road to China ', with Tom Sellack as a washed up, drunkared, former fighter pilot hired to ferry a ritch b....h to find her missing father in the far east. Great movie with fine arial scenes, and NO computer graphics. A plus is Tom Selleck firing a Lewis Gun from the hip at charging Chinese(?) soldiers.

If you have seen the movie, my favorite line is; " Speeeeaaak ". :D
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Right after the "Flyboys" movie came out there was a local news story about a man that lives here in the Tampa Bay area. he was employed to do a lot of the flying. I seem to recall him saying that they were flying in the same area where the war was fought, but I don't remember what he said about the planes they flew.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

The original (1930?) All Quiet on the Western Front is hard to beat IMO. In fact, go ahead and read the book first. I read it 2-3 times before ever catching the movie on TCM or somesuch.
GANJIRO wrote:the only major complaint being the cylinders of the WWI era radial engines NOT spinning with the propellors like they're supposed too.
Depends on the engine. Not all radials are rotary. It's been a while since I spent any quality time with my WWI aero books and since I haven't seen Flyboys yet I can't say which birds they're using that may or may not have rotaries other than the DrI and Sopwith Camel.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Depends on the engine. Not all radials are rotary.
I thought in a Radial engine, the crankshaft moves, but the cylinders/engine is stationary, and in the Rotary, the crankshaft is stationary & the clylinders/crankcase/engine rotate..
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Ben_Rumson wrote:I thought in a Radial engine, the crankshaft moves, but the cylinders/engine is stationary, and in the Rotary, the crankshaft is stationary & the clylinders/crankcase/engine rotate..
Correct. What designates an engine as radial is that the cylinders are arranged "radially" around the crank.

The engine in a P47 for example is a radial Pratt&Whitney. The crank turns, moving the pistons. A DrI is technically a radial since the cylinders are arranged radially around the crank but the cylinders/pistons move around the crank making it a rotary.

Then you have horizontally opposed engines (aka boxers) where the crank runs between the cylinders (think Cessna, VW or Porsche engines).

Inline engines (think straight 8 or straight 6 car engines) tend to be water-cooled but not always.

Aviation and firearms have always run 1A and 1B in my interests...:D
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I'd have to say, I relate to War movies that start at WWII. But I've seen Gary Cooper in "York" & was impressed. jd45
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

awp101 OK, I'll go that..
mad mucus
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mad mucus »

GALLIPOLI... another Aussie movie, one of Mel Gibson's first(1981?).

Mucus
"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."
Ridgerunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ridgerunner »

THE LIGHT HORSEMEN was a great movie, being a rider myself, I especially liked the British and Aussie brass watching and calling the action via binoculars, especially when the Aussie commander states: "They're under their guns" meaning the artillary could no longer be brought to bear on the charging mounted infantrymen. Most compelling, as they were supposed to ride to a fight, dismount, and fight on foot....
Confederately yours,

Ridgerunner
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

The Lighthorsemen was a fantastic movie, great firearms featured in the plot, and an amazing battle sequence at the end. The star of the film, Jon Blake, was driving home from the set on the last day of shooting in 1986 and was struck head-on by a drunk driver. Mr Blake was seriously brain-damaged as a result and has been in a 'trapped' vegatative coma for the past 20+ years. Mr. Blake was said to be on the verge of becoming a bigger star then Mel Gibson ! Poor guy !

A year or so earlier he was in another fine Aussie film called 'Anzacs', about WWI in Europe, co-starring Paul Hogan. A wonderful film if you can find it ! SMLE's, Lewis Guns, and of course Webleys in abundance !
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

+1 for Gallipoli. You'll never get Barber's Adagio out of your head for the rest of you life though. :shock:
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I almost forgot one of my favorite WWI movie and on top ten all time favorites "Lawrence of Arabia" with Peter O'Toole
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

awp101 wrote:
GANJIRO wrote:the only major complaint being the cylinders of the WWI era radial engines NOT spinning with the propellors like they're supposed too.
Depends on the engine. Not all radials are rotary. It's been a while since I spent any quality time with my WWI aero books and since I haven't seen Flyboys yet I can't say which birds they're using that may or may not have rotaries other than the DrI and Sopwith Camel.
Skipped my mind, wrong terminology, I meant more specifically rotary engine (not to be confused with the Wankel engine). Love of WWII aircraft second only to firearms, though not an expert on WWI aircraft and fighter aces like my Dad was, he even as a kid wrote and got autographes for many surviving WWI aces from both sides including Eddie Rickenbacker, and HERMAN GOERING. He never found out whatever happened to his autograph collection but figures his dad sold while he was away fighting the Japs in the South Pacific.
omgb
Levergunner

Post by omgb »

There where several WWI acft that had the cyl rotating with the prop. This caused tremendous problems with torq steer and reversed control input. IIRC, the Sopwith Camel was one of these but I may be wrong about that.

Another interesting tid bit centers around using Castor oil for lube. Several acft did. The fun part was that they sprayed a fine mist of that oil all over the pilot as he flew. The end result was that the pilot ingested a lot of this stuff and suffered from chronic diarrhea as a result.

For my money, Wings is the pest of the ariel pictures and The Lost Batallion is the best of the ground pictures.

I was thinking too, what about Breaker Morant? IIRC, that was a WWI movie as was The African Queen ...wow, another fine film.
R. J. Talley
Madison Fellow, NRA Member, CDFG Hunter Ed. , Quail Unlimited
chuckles
Levergunner

Post by chuckles »

omgb wrote:
I was thinking too, what about Breaker Morant? IIRC, that was a WWI movie
While a good movie, I think Breaker Morant was set in the Boer War.
Light Horsemen, Gallipoli, Sgt York, All quiet On the Western front, and I always liked "The Blue Max" Good George Peppard movie that also included that 60s tidbit, Ursula Andress. 8)
cpt Dan Blodgett
Levergunner

What no Irishmen here??

Post by cpt Dan Blodgett »

What about the fighting 69th?
SASS #75655
"Follow Me"
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

Breaker Morant = 2nd Boer War.

A good war to study in our day...

+1 for Lawrence of Arabia!

The scene of all the Arabs bickering at the end reminds me of our country today.

Take care,

Tom
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Not strictly WWI movies, but I liked parts of them that were connected to the war:

Legends of the Fall - Tristan followed his brother to war, swearing to bring him home. When he was unable to bring Sam's body home, Tristan brought his fallen brothers heart home packed in a can so that it could be buried beside loved ones in the family plot.

The Razor's Edge - Larry went to war driving an ambulance. when a soldier would pass, his comrades held a graveside ceremony to criticize the earthly faults of the fallen dead and then swore never to speak ill of them again.

Probably fictition, but poignant nevertheless.

:)
Last edited by FWiedner on Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

engravertom wrote:+1 for Lawrence of Arabia!

The scene of all the Arabs bickering at the end reminds me of our country today.
Terrific film!

If I'm thinking of the same scene, they were bickering over spoils.

I believe that we are bickering over justification.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This post got me to thinking about a letter I keep on my book shelf. It is from my paternal Grandfather to my Grandmother, when he was stationed "over there", in Europe, during WWI. It is dated 05/20/1918. Hope the scan comes out well enough to read!

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

WOW Ysable!!!!! :shock: 8) That is really a treasure.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

C. Cash wrote:WOW Ysable!!!!! :shock: 8) That is really a treasure.
Thank you. You guys are inspiring me to share other family treasures. I scanned this picture this morning - another that sits on my book shelf. It was taken of my maternal grandfather - he's the jokster holding up the other guy's chin!

He was too young to serve in WWI, and served well before WWII.

Alzheimer's took him from us in 1998. Rest in peace Papa...
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I vote for Lawrence of Arabia, and Seargent York as the best of the best!!!!Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!