OT Need help picking the right dog

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

OT Need help picking the right dog

Post by pharmseller »

I'll be in the market for a dog in the next 6 months or so. I'm looking for the perfect dog based on the following requirements:
1. Small. No more than 15 lbs
2. No shedding, short hair preferred
3. Good with young (7 year old) boy
4. Smart enough to housetrain
5. Free

I'm having a hard time finding this dog. The free part I can be flexible on but no way I'm paying high dollar for an animal that eats cat poop. So what kind of dog am I looking for?

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

An Imaginary?

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

FWiedner wrote:An Imaginary?

+1, I don't know any dog that won't eat cat poop if it's available. We have our cat litterbox where the cats can but our dogs cannot get easy access.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

Here is a simple two step program that will make pet selection easier than ever;

Step 1. Go to pound.

Step 2. Take any girl.

See how easy that was?

Seriously though, my personal beliefs* don't allow purchasing a 'pet'. Consider the pound. My local pound advertises in the paper, whenever what they think to be a coon hound is brought in.

You never know.

*Not religous beliefs, but pity for abandoned / neglected animals.
crawdaddyjim
Levergunner 2.0

Post by crawdaddyjim »

terriers,

Wirefox,

Lakeland,

Poodle in the standard size are larger than you specified but don't shed and are smart. With training will do well with children.

Me I would have a Cur dog in a instant.
Last edited by crawdaddyjim on Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Buffboy wrote:
FWiedner wrote:An Imaginary?

+1, I don't know any dog that won't eat cat poop if it's available.
All dogs do that?! What the heck is up with that?! Our old German Shepard used to do that, and I thought it was just him.

~Michael
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

I believe Poodles don't shed much and that trait often carries through some mixed breeding.
Just another trait to look for.

Phil
crawdaddyjim
Levergunner 2.0

Post by crawdaddyjim »

Cats do not completely digest their food. Hence dog smells food and as he has no culture he eats it.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

crawdaddyjim wrote:Cats do not completely digest their food. Hence dog smells food and as he has no culture he eats it.
I guess one of our dogs doesn't completely digest her food either :roll:

Phil
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

I don't mind that dogs eat cat poop. It must be quite a snack since most dogs find it near irresistable.
What I said is that I don't want to pay a bunch of money for a dog.
The pound is an option but then you play roulette with the above requirements.
Most breeds (i.e. terriers or poodles) are kinda hard on the wallet.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Keep visiting the pound. We have found several nice dogs in various pounds. My parents found a bichon, nice loving dogs, quiet, do not shed, small, have curly hair that, if kept trimmed, matches the no long hair requirement. In the end though, no dog is free.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Miniature schnauzer. Great dogs, smart, excellent with kids, protective, loyal. You can't miss, even if you have to spend a few bucks...think about it, you will have this dog for 15 years or so, spend the money and get a good one vs. not and getting a dog you will regret.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Female, short haired terrier of about that size. Our Bailey is a 20 lb miniature schnauzer. She fits the specs but you can't have her. Dogs can be trained to do or not do many things but you have to take the time to do the training.

Even a free dog can cost you more than your car. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
crawdaddyjim
Levergunner 2.0

Post by crawdaddyjim »

1894 wrote:
crawdaddyjim wrote:Cats do not completely digest their food. Hence dog smells food and as he has no culture he eats it.
I guess one of our dogs doesn't completely digest her food either :roll:

Phil
Sorry you felt the need for the smart remark. The question was why do dogs eat CAT stuff? Dogs will eat a lot of things....
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Crawdaddyjim , I did not mean it as a "smart remark" , I had just never thought of it the way you worded it .

Phil
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

Dachshund - best small dogs around for my money. (Edit for pic)

Mama dog is in the foreground; she is 9 years old and weighs 15 lbs. The daughter is in the rear and weighs 9 lbs - she is 5 yrs.

They are great hunters and keep the barn free of snakes and rats, I actually think they are better than cats since they kill the vermin but leave the birds alone. They don't shed and they don't smell.

Never had a mean dachshund and I've owned several. The oldest was a male that lived 19 years. You can make any dog snappy but some folks simply shouldn't own dogs - just watch the "Dog Whisperer" a few times
Last edited by Comal Forge on Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Beagle mix, keep your eyes in classified or check out www.petfinder.com

They will shed a little but not bad.

Good with kids.

Smart is as smart does, but some dogs are stubborn as all get out. And some trainers cant tell the difference.
Oz n bolivia
Levergunner

Post by Oz n bolivia »

From what you have stated a 13 to 15 inch Beagle would fit the bill. Short hair low shedding factor. low on dog oder. I have never met one that was not easy to get along with and they love to run rabbits. I like the larger size but both are good. They also make a good watch dog.

If you had not limited the weight to 15 pounds a Lab is the only way to go.

Get one free! I was real lucky and picked up a yellow lab at the Washington DC pound for $5.00 years a go. He looked to be about a year and a half, but we had great times together.

If you have a little child get a puppy. One thing I have noticed a child will love a dog even if it is not a pure breed. Most mixed dogs seem to have a real nice attitude if raised and loved from 8 weeks.

Oz
Remaining a curious student throughout life renders one’s life interesting and progressive.
Robert Smyth
He stated that the way I feel.
Knowledge is all we do, see, touch, hear, read. What we do with that knowledge shows our wisdom.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

This is my 'pound puppy'. I have no idea what she is. She is a real sweetheart, and loves "Buddy Cookies". She's about 25 pounds, stands a foot at the shoulder, loves to burrow, and eat pancackes. She also enjoys playing cops and robbers, meaning when I don't take my boggin' off before I come in the house, she let's me have it!

I'll give you three quesses as to what "Buddy Cookies" are.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

crawdaddyjim I think you misunderstood phils comment.
If I understand him correctly, he has a dog that eats dog faeces.
Phil I think its called copraphagia. Apparently its quite normal in a number of animals, most grow out of it when they grow up. I beleive adding a teaspoon of spinach to your dogs food will help to stop it, whether its by adding a needed nutrient to the diet or it makes the faeces taste like stuff I don't know.

As for the original purpose of this thread, 15 lb isn't much of a dog and most small dogs tend to be somewhat snappy with small children, especially if the child does anything to hurt or frighten the dog. If you can go for a bigger dog you will open up the opportunities for a child safe dog considerably. My kids all grew up with rottweillers, and any time in the last 25 years that we have tried anything different we have been disappointed. Freinds of ours raised their kids with English staffordshire bull terriers and they found them to be a bombproof childrens pet as well.
As for the free bit, you get what you pay for, but I'd go along with the pound suggestion. I don't know how the pounds work in USA but here in Australia you get a dog from the pound it will cost about $50 - $100 but for that its desexed, health checked and vaccinated.
Good luck in your search.

Happy new year to you all :D
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I'm thinking of something similar, but without the reference to cats. I am strongly considering a small beagle. Would be useful on a blood trail too if I find a smart one.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

My Springer sheds like crazy, but not all Spaniels do. I love the breed and probably get an English Cocker someday.

My sister's Amercian Cocker doesn't shed at all. You can hunt cockers just like springers. The spaniels are active and don't do well cooped up.

Most of the terriers I've seen are frenetic, I don't know if i could handle that much enthusiasm.

Try rescue groups if you know a breed you like. There are lots of dogs that owners can't keep for one reason or another and many AKC breeds have rescue groups that try to place the dogs.

I wonder what the list of non-shedding dogs looks like? There are web sites where you can look at the properties of various types of dogs.

Grizz
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Poodles don't shed, and are generally good for people with allergies. Problem is that the smaller ones are hyper, and have been so inbred many are just plain stupid. The standards are usually pretty mellow, but larger than your size requirement.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I picked up my last Beagle off a guy that was local to me at the time found his add in the paper $25. She was a great dog around my boys they were 3 & 5 at the time. Take a look in your paper or penny saver if you get them people are always trying to find homes for dogs.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yorkshire Terriers Under 15 pounds---- does not shed--you are not going to find a dog that has short hair and does not shed. Yorkies don't shed because it grows long--like people hair----These dogs are very territorial, extremely loyal and will die for their master. They don't eat much and when they potty, they leave little "tootsie rolls" in the yard.. We have 14 of them. Some of them are so smart, they have learned how to shoot. We have one dog, Eddie who has his own levergun and hunts daily for cats. He loads his own ammo (wildcat .22 Jet) and prefers to use Hornady V-Max for their quick expansion. He is pictured below. the top picture is "Teeny". In the bottom picture, Skittles, Eddie, (gettin' ready to shoot the Lo-Wall) and Suzy are target practicing. We have one that even reads

Image,

Image,

Image,
Festy loading ammo with 5744 with his new RCBS Pro-2000
Image.
Susy reading her new Gun Digest,
Last edited by Sixgun on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Hawker Man
Levergunner

Post by Hawker Man »

I've been lurking here for some time and I just had to register to tell you THERE AIN'T NO SUCH THING AS A FREE DOG.

Tom Z
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Indeed, no such thing as a free dog, though the initial acquisition can be free if you put the word out. It is amazing how many purebred dogs suddenly need new homes at about 13 months of age, which is adolescence for dogs. We managed to find two Boston Terriers for free, from my wife's co-workers, in your size range, and excellent with kids. We have temporarily fostered, and then found homes, for several Chihuahuas which all live with kids now with no problems, though these are sturdy, tough Chis and considerate, non-terrorist kids.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Two words:

"Weiner Dog" :D

Small dog with a big dog attitude! :wink:
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

We're in the same boat, but our son is 14 now. I've always had a dog in my life except for the last 8 years. We always went to the pound. My first dog lived 19 years. They never forget that you took them out of there either.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Quinn,
We just got the kids a Rat Terrier. We have three kids 7-10 years old. The pup was 13 weeks old when we got her and she weighs in at less than 4.5 lbs right now. We have had nothing but hunting dogs before this one (Labs, Vislas & Pointers). My wife made me sell the last "Big Dog" cause it was too obnoxious. She loves the little dog and the little dog loves the kids the wife and I think she is even warming up to me a little - she is sleeping on my lap right now. :oops:

We were gonna go with a Beagle but weren't sure we wanted one even that big.

Anyway here is how the Rat Terrier fits your criteria:

1. Small. No more than 15 lbs (this one should be maxed at 12 lbs)
2. No shedding, short hair preferred (short hair and haven't noticed any shedding yet)
3. Good with young (7 year old) boy (my youngest is 7)
4. Smart enough to housetrain (smarter than that)
5. Free (??????? maybe, look for a Rat Terrier Rescue in your area)

Now, the good part is this: Rat Terriers can be great squirrel dogs.

Here is Peanut:

Peanut getting too close to Whitey:

pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

I'm gonna do some research on Rat Terriers and beagle dogs. Thanks for the input!

Quinn

45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

I have to disagree with you guys who said weiner dogs. I have had one for close to 4 years now and never learned so much about a dog. Here is what I have learned with help from a vet doc.
1. Weiner dogs are one of the worst bitting breeds.
2. Weiner dogs are one of the hardest to house train.
3. Weiner dogs have a history of health issues.
4. Did I mention weiner dogs will bit the mean kid across the street, cost you an ER visit and get you a visit from the dog catcher and the lovely orange warning sign in your window warning people that you have a vicious dog.

This is no help to you but my good dog is way more than 15 pounds, was the smartest, easiest to trin and best dog I have ever owned. I have one of those terrible members of the pitbull family, an American Staffordshire Terrier. Doesnt really shed, doesnt eat stuff, he is quiet and watches over your leverguns for you. He thinks he is a 15 pound lapdog though :shock:
I am a salty, old, retired Chief Petty Officer who is not impressed by much.

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our situation." Chesty Puller

Member of Marlin Firearms forum '02-'04
Member of Marlin Talk forum '04-?
Member of original Leverguns forum '04-'07
Member of new Leverguns forum '07-?
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

DiamondD
Levergunner

Post by DiamondD »

I was going to say that if you don't think rat terriers are hunting dogs you haven't had one around a squirrel yet and then you added

"Now, the good part is this: Rat Terriers can be great squirrel dogs."

I had a buddy that had one and according to him it would go underground after rabbits and never come out empty handed. A rat terrier and a beagle are high on my list of must haves for my next dog.
Snoopin & Shootin,

Dean
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If you go to the pound you sure wont get one free! Not sure about down south, but here in the Portland metro area the local pounds can be easily $100 out the door!
If I were you I'd check out Craig's List in the Pet section. Check daily, as if something good comes u for free, it usually goes fast!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT Need help picking the right dog

Post by Travis Morgan »

pharmseller wrote: but no way I'm paying high dollar for an animal that eats cat poop. So what kind of dog am I looking for?

Quinn
Well, small children are out.

+1 on rat terriers. Cute little ********. Jack Russels are only marginally larger, but about four times as smart. They're smart enough you can talk to them like a person, and they'll get it.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've had my Boston Terror,, er...Terrier for about a month, and he's four months now. What a sweetheart and is so calm and loveable.. Very smart, learns stuff in one two sessions. Can be willful and tend to get upset off if you leave them alone. Very calm, loves all people and other pets and has not had that terrier "snap". Loves to play and will prolly get to be 20 very tough, active, playfull pounds. Not real cheap on the market, but maybe you could find a mix or a rescue dog....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

Travis Morgan wrote:
pharmseller wrote: but no way I'm paying high dollar for an animal that eats cat poop. So what kind of dog am I looking for?

Quinn
Well, small children are out.

+1 on rat terriers. Cute little bastards. Jack Russels are only marginally larger, but about four times as smart. They're smart enough you can talk to them like a person, and they'll get it.

I agree on the Jack Russels. Super intellegent! Sometimes wacky, though. We had one a few years ago. He would bark at jetliners 35,000 feet in the sky, thought they were buzzards. He hated buzzards. He was somewhat suicidal too. When walking along the RR tracks, he would run back and forth under a passing train.

He would not tolerate being scolded, but was still well behaved.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

My Springer sheds like crazy, but not all Spaniels do. I love the breed and probably get an English Cocker someday.

My sister's Amercian Cocker doesn't shed at all. You can hunt cockers just like springers. The spaniels are active and don't do well cooped up.....
I'm a Springer man through n through (many shed, some dont - but a crapshoot in that department--as are the Cockers). For smaller fare, I also echo the English Cocker choice (over the American which is a crapshoot quality/temperament/breeding wise)...but again a shedding crapshoot for any of these. Hard to beat an English Cocker - especially if you think you might want to hunt...but within your size criteria you'd be talking a small runt at that even with a Cocker.
Otherwise I'd echo the Beagle and, can't believe I'm saying this but a Miniature Schnauzer - they're great. I don't like the yipping (any of them) but as someone stated they are smart critters and pistols to be around - great, loyal companions with tons of character.
ByronG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ByronG »

I strongly suspect that no dog will satisfy your requirements. You should opt for a cat.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

45-70- wrote:I have to disagree with you guys who said weiner dogs. I have had one for close to 4 years now and never learned so much about a dog. Here is what I have learned with help from a vet doc.
1. Weiner dogs are one of the worst bitting breeds.
2. Weiner dogs are one of the hardest to house train.
3. Weiner dogs have a history of health issues.
4. Did I mention weiner dogs will bit the mean kid across the street, cost you an ER visit and get you a visit from the dog catcher and the lovely orange warning sign in your window warning people that you have a vicious dog.

This is no help to you but my good dog is way more than 15 pounds, was the smartest, easiest to trin and best dog I have ever owned. I have one of those terrible members of the pitbull family, an American Staffordshire Terrier. Doesnt really shed, doesnt eat stuff, he is quiet and watches over your leverguns for you. He thinks he is a 15 pound lapdog though :shock:
Our dog (Copper - the close-up picture above) is a "mini" - weighs about 8 pounds and is 3 years old. She is a ball of energy, plays a lot with the kids (willing to rough house), and has never bitten anyone. Maybe a nip if she is being crushed, but not hard enough to break the skin. Like all dogs, you teach it with love and kindness - but also make sure it understands in no uncertain terms who the "top dog" is (and it isn't :wink: ).

That being said, it was harder to house train than I expected. It hasn't had an accident in well over 2 years though, so I can't complain.

The mini's don't tend to have the back problems some of the other variations do.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

get a shetland sheepdog, they do not shed much at all, they are easy to groom and do not need frequent grooming; they love children, and will do whatever the person they are with is doing: if you sit down, they will sit with you, you sleep, they sleep, run and play and they will tirelessly play with a child and they stick right with the kid and dont wander away. very obedient and amazingly intelligent with very sweet, loving personalities;
we have two, right now, and my son who is in college has his with him, and it sleeps on his bed, stays beside him as he is working on studies, as it has done for the last 9 years. most shelties are like this. they are generally under 20 pounds often 16 pounds or so. they make excellent house pets, but are sturdy and go out and do things with you. they have a big dogs personality in a small dog's body; they are very calm by nature. you cannot go wrong with a child and a shelty.
cable
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

If the weight thing is flexible, how about an English Bulldog? I've always wanted one. They're pretty cool.

If not, Boston terriers look like a black and white mini bulldog, and they're very smart and tiny.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

ByronG wrote:I strongly suspect that no dog will satisfy your requirements. You should opt for a cat.
The other white meat.

Quinn

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

pharmseller wrote:
ByronG wrote:I strongly suspect that no dog will satisfy your requirements. You should opt for a cat.
The other white meat.

Quinn
He must have been joking. Cats shed ALL THE TIME! :roll: However, if you want a nice cat you can have your pick of my Mom's seven cats. I'm going to have to find a home for them soon anyway. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Travis Morgan wrote:If the weight thing is flexible, how about an English Bulldog? I've always wanted one. They're pretty cool.

If not, Boston terriers look like a black and white mini bulldog, and they're very smart and tiny.
He said something about wanting a "free" dog.

In my experience, modern English Bulldogs (the stumpy ones) are a vet bill waiting to happen. Not a particularly healthy breed.

The Olde English Bulldogs (longer legs) are a wonderfull breed, though. Very robust.

Amercan Bulldogs and Pitbulls are lovely breeds IMO, but are waaaay outside his weight requirement...

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

:D
Last edited by Idahoser on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

+1 for the Weiner-Dogs

Had them all my life. Their being smart or dangerous is directly related to how much time is spent training them.

No problem house training them. We're on number 5 since 1972. Little dog with a big attitude. Great mousers. Anything the size of a coke can with fur will be dead if it's in the yard.

Ours actually "Bays" when a squirrel is in the birdfeeder. It's like a mini Black & Tan, very funny to see and watch.

Only problem I see with Daschunds is shorthairs don't like being cold, they like being extremely warm.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My "Free" dog has cost more than my pure breds combined. She's a Dane/ Boxer mix that has eaten several chairs, a couch, door, rug, you name it. Thinks she's ten feet tall and will tangle with just about anything! She and my Dane like to play "Lets push each other down the stairs" . Lotsa vet bills! But she's the best dog I've ever had.

Pound puppies are a stuff shoot but you may just find your best friend. My Mom's dog, a Beagle/ Sneaky Neighbor Dog Mix is a little bigger than you're looking for but a great dog for her. VERY protective. though it was a $75.00 (needed) donation.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »