OT - M1-A vs. .45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

OT - M1-A vs. .45-70

Post by AJMD429 »

Just KIDDING...!

:twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - M1-A vs. .45-70

Post by awp101 »

M1A because .308 is everywhere and the blue helmets don't use .45-70... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

HA HA !!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Is there a third choice? :D 8)
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Each has it's place that the other cannot touch.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Andrew wrote:Is there a third choice? :D 8)

Yes, there is a third choice, the world famous FAL :D
NRA Life Member, Patron
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

This would have been a good one for April 1st :lol:
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Good to know you were kidding.

Now - what's the best way to clean the coffee stains from sputtering all over my computer table?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

50-100. Worked at Adobe Walls...

eeeeeehhhhh.... you durn whippersnappers and yer fancy rimless pointy cartridges...

Me and the boys in Blue will git yer with our fine breechloading Springfields we will!
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

The 500 grain 45-70 is good for wrecking the engine blocks of approaching vehicles.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have both but I prefer the 45-70, especially out of my 1886
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The Kids can lay down some suppressing fire with the fancy ones, and I'll pick off the ones that sneak in with the 45-70....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

"Rifle, Anti-Vehicle and -Light Armor, M1873 Springfield, cal. 45-70-500"

Noah :D
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Noah, that is one beautiful looking Springfield in amazing condition. Is it an original?
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

Ok I will take my 45-70 along with a thousand of the other misfits like me that find this a fine round and you walk up through the hail of bullets in the 400-500 grain range and lets just see how many of you want to continue the discussion. If memory serves me right Picket didn't want to play again after one dose of this fire don't think it has changed much in recent years. Oh then again maybe taking just head shots now because of body armor might just make the game more interesting.
Oh heck give me and a few misfits say with 600 ma deuce's and lets go play and to make it fair we won't start shooting until you are closer then 1 mile so you have a chance to be on the correct mail route so you won't miss any of those 650 grain mail cards we will be sending you.
Oh to heck with the first two just give a us a few of those shoulder held anti tank rounds and we will see if we can get you a new location to be period after they land in your laps. No sense spending a few hours playing when it can all be done on and over in a few minutes.
Na what we need is Bo and all his supports with bull horns and lots of batteries they will put you to sleep before you even realize they are lying to you. Wait a minute that has already been done last fall to be exact and the nation did fall asleep and look what we got for it.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

KirkD wrote:Noah, that is one beautiful looking Springfield in amazing condition. Is it an original?
Kirk:

Thanks very much for the comments.

Sadly, it's not original other than it's an original Harrington & Richardson repro 1873 "Musket," one of 1000 made around 1975 or 1976 thereabouts.

But it is in nice condition, and it's an amazing shooter. I was putting 350 gr LFN cast bullets into a 4" circle at 200 yds last Saturday afternoon, using 13.5 gr of Unique in nickel R-P cases.

I use nickel 45-70 cases to visually denote "reduced" loads suitable for Trapdoors, Sharps, Rolling Blocks, and other low-strength/blackpowder types, and brass cases for the loads I do up for Marlins, Winchesters, Brownings, and Rugers.

Noah
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

shdwlkr wrote:Ok I will take my 45-70 along with a thousand of the other misfits like me that find this a fine round and you walk up through the hail of bullets in the 400-500 grain range and lets just see how many of you want to continue the discussion . . .
Count me in amongst the misfits.

Noah
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

if you have both, you've got a nice battery for any hunting, shooting situation the world over.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Lastmohecken wrote:

Yes, there is a third choice, the world famous FAL :D
Can I change my vote? That's my number one, right there! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I'd like to add a M1A but have you tried to find and priced one lately :(
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

45-70 :D

Hey AJ if you make it to the shoot I may let ya shoot it.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

What if you're a paratrooper and limited to just 5 lbs of ammo?

In 45-70 that's like three shots.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

El Chivo wrote:What if you're a paratrooper and limited to just 5 lbs of ammo? In 45-70 that's like three shots.

The 45-70's a crew-served weapon. The ammo load is divided up amongst all the troops in the squad.

Noah
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

el chivo
If you can only have 5 pounds of ammo you and you feel that the 45-70 ammo weighs to much take a 16 and follow the spray and pray rule. that way when you get to the ground you will only have 20 rounds left and weight won't be an issue.
Just because in the past troops have carried the M1, M14 and ammo that was needed to get things going is no reason today to let a little thing like staying alive be thought just carry the M1 carbine in paratroop model and 500 rounds and you will be fine as long as your enemy is within 200 yards.
Or you could carry a big club and hope your swing is good enough or you could just maybe do like the current President would like to do make your enemies feel good with all the money your are giving them to train on how to wipe out America and they will just let you into the family and we can all be friends so we don't need armies, navies, air force or weapons as we will be just one big world family and love each for ever and ever and ever.
There are no threats to our freedoms, lives or way of life it was all a misunderstanding caused by the Bush Administration, there was no terrorists that attacked us on 9-11-01 and 3000 Americans didn't die they committed suicide and it was a big fake out to start a war with Iraq and Afghanistan so they could try out our new war toys. There are no pirates off Somalia that want to kill Americans that is all just a joke the media is messing with your heads.
If it wasn't for those bible reading, gun carrying Americans we would have no crime in America because everyone would be in love with everyone else and there would be no need for money, insurance, locks on your doors because everyone would be equal and there would be no reason for any anger then because everyone would just as poor as their neighbor and have the same nothing to live on, the kids would be dying at an early age and that is the way Allah says it should be so stop your whining and get used to the life style of an Arab.
If you are really worried about the weight of your ammo you could get a bow and arrows and 5 pounds of arrows will give you a lot of arrows to shoot so you will feel safe, until you realize that you don't know how to shoot a bow and arrow and hit anything smaller then a barn door but then you won't have long to worry as those who can carry ammo will take care of that problem for you just fine.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV