First Successful Hunt!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Em336
Levergunner

First Successful Hunt!

Post by Em336 »

Last year in Feb. I went out with a couple guys after some pigs and we got one the first time out.... Fella shot a huge sow with a 1895 45-70... I had the bug since then. I was in a hunters safety course with 12 yr olds...... Kind of embarrassing. I was 26 almost 27 But I jumped through all the hoops and finally got my Hunting license in January. After hours upon hours, month after month of looking for pigs, I finally got to take my first shot. We pulled up on the EXACT spot we had seen these Hogs over a year ago. Was kind of funny to get this easy an opportunity after waiting so long. I got out way down the road and walked in as quietly as I could..... I was getting close... maybe 60-70 yds. I realized I hadn't even chambered a round :roll:
I tried to open the action on the old Marlin 336 30-30 as quietly and slowly as possible. At the first little click of that lever coming out they started to spook. I went ahead and ran the gun got down on a knee and took a shoulder shot at the only broadside Hog. By the time I let the thing go this hog had faced me completely... I didn't see that. All I knew was I had hit this thing somewhere and it was on the run screaming. My stomach turned thinking I had just gout shot the thing. I ran the gun as fast as I could attempting to slam it on the run. At that moment it's backside gave out and it was spinning like a bucking bull on the ground now at maybe a football field or better.....way further away than i wanted to be, but I took the second quick shot stopping a nice 130 pound meat Sow with this actually going right where it was supposed to. Through both shoulders.( The first shot entered back on the rib cage and exited out through a real nice Ham on the same side. :oops: It did stop it for me though I was lucky to hit some bone and no guts.)
My dad bought me the Marlin( a 1982 marlin 336 30.30 made the same year I was born) when I was 12 for Deer but I never even shot more than 20 rounds out of it Until I was 26. I grew up shooting. I had shot Lots, lots, lots of bird, squirrel and Raccoon with my 22. but never anything medium size. My whole life people would ask me what hunting rifle I had and I would tell them. People would laugh and tell me that it wasn't enough gun yadda yadda yadda. I tried all sorts of ammo before the hunt worried that the old 30-30 wasn't enough gun. Come to find out with the Iron sights at 50-100 yds just regular old 150 grain core lokts or Power points shoot the most accurately.... I was kind of bummed as I had wasted a ton of money on all this Leverevolution. I couldn't control that stuff at 50 yds to save my life.... although it was by far the most effective at 200. I took the scope off the rifle and wanted the first hunt to be with the iron sights.... so I couldn't see a target with the sights at that distance. My little brother has a Glenfield Mod. 30 and he swears by 150 gr. core lokts. He's taken many Deer , no pigs though :) He told me when I was leaving for the Hunt, " just take the 150s and watch the bone fly" he couldn't have been more right. I made some mistakes and was extremely nervous and jittery but I learned a lot. When the freezer gets low I'll be back out there and hopefully I can do it better next time. I think The head shot is the way to go with these Hogs.
"Learn to run the gun you got!"
Clint Smith
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: First Successful Hunt!

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire. Great first post, I almost thought I was with you on that hunt!!! :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Congratulations on bringing home the bacon. I was even further behind than you, went to Hunter's Safety at age 47, no prior small game experience or gun ownership. I've sure enjoyed myself since then, looks like I'm in for life (just wish I had more seasons left).

Don't let these guys talk you into a bunch of fancy calibers and guns.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Congratulations on a sucsessful hunt. Welcome to the forum.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

and so the addiction begins.... :o :D
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Great first post. Congrats! One of my lodge brothers just went home to Canada to spend the summer hunting elk, bear, and moose. I asked him what round he uses for each. He laughed and said he and his sons ( he's in his 70s) have all owned only Winchester 94 30-30s! I suppose no one told him that's not enough gun.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Welcome and good job - that sounded like lots of fun.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Welcome to the forum. Excellent post. Congrats. If you took some pics, we would love to see them.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

rjohns94 wrote:Welcome to the forum. Excellent post. Congrats. If you took some pics, we would love to see them.
+1 :D :D :D
Old Law Dawg
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Great story and welcome to the fire.
Ricky

DWWC
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Welcome to the forum and that was a great post for the first one, stick with the 30-30 and keep taking meat home.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

no pics, bummer.
welcome, tell us some more stories and add some pics.
good job chasing those piggies, next time take some pics.
did i mention we like pictures?

best to you, pokey
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Congratulations on bringing home the bacon.] - +1 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Fast actioned follow up shot at range, open sights, you did very good friend . Well done :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Welcome to the forum EM. Great post too!

If you take the old thuty thuty out and come home a vegetarian it ain't the guns fault. As many have found out before it will and has taken everything in N. America.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Welcome and congratulations! What state are you hunting pigs in?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Cool!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Great job :D . I have been skunked by pigs lots of times. Its always nice when one actually stays still long enough for ya to take a shot. Welcome to the fire. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Em336
Levergunner

Post by Em336 »

Thanks for all the replies. I'm out in California.The pig hunts are so guarded out here in California you can really get bummed out chasing shadows on BLM. I just got back from an unsuccessful run, I think my girlfriend is going to leave me! I can't stop thinking about pigs. :lol: I couldn't sleep the three nights after getting one.......
I do have some pictures and I will post some........ I just look way too excited! I am running the dial up, so it takes some time but I'll get it done. I was so happy to get it done with the Marlin. My old man and especially my little brother flat out despise hearing about the inadequacy the old 30-30. My grandpa shot everything he ever hunted in South Dakota with a 30-30. I came home and thanked my dad for getting me that handy little smasher. Even more guarded than the pig hunts in California are my Dad's rifles. When I came home with the pictures he was pretty happy I finally got on one. He offered the use of his Marlin 1894 in 44mag or any of the others for future hunts........:shock: He knows that I absolutely love that particular Rifle. Pics on the way!!!
Clint Smith
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Great post. I enjoyed your hunt too! Where in CA did you hunt? I'm in Southern CA for now but will be moving to Humboldt County soon. I've got my Puma running Ranch Dogs 265 gr 44s that I think will work pretty good on pigs and maybe some deer. I must confess I've been a city boy for 62 years (and have seen the error of my ways) but have been shooting and reloading for about the last 25 years. I probably will be stuck in the Hunter Safety Class with teenagers too! :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Why are you calling the hunts "guarded"? Everyone in CA pretty much knows where to go for hog hunting on BLM land or otherwise.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

mikld - Where are you moving in Humboldt County -- the coast or inland a bit? Lots of good hunting over there.
ED
Yer never too old
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Right now I'm looking at Fortuna. Wife an I have been there about 6 times to check it out and like what we see. The only problem with Fortuna is it is still in California!
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Em336
Levergunner

Post by Em336 »

Just down the road from Humboldt Co. was where this pig was taken. I got this one out in Covelo, Ca. in Mendocino County. There's pigs all along the coast. The hunting is great out in Covelo(Bear, Deer, Turkey, pigs)....... but extremely guarded by private property and big hunting clubs. The hardest part of the whole Hunting experience has been getting permission. Especially in Mendocino County....... Even the hunting Clubs blew me off. You couldn't just pay the several thousands of dollars they wanted, but had to "Qualify".......????? :? ? They just flat out never called me back, so I was never even given the chance to "qualify". People are a lot less likely to help out 27 yr old first timer as they are a 12 yr old. :( We have 1 place to go up there and it's a needle in a haystack. Would be awesome to Hunt all that land that is clearly marked otherwise all along 162. :twisted: I've been looking at the Puma(because I can't seem to find a Marlin anywhere) in 44mag. Hopefully the Hog hunts will start to open up for me a little bit. I have just had such bad luck trying guess and chase shadows on BLM. I also don't know very many people into hunting the pigs. It's really me and a childhood buddy who had never gotten a shot off at anything bigger in our lives. He took his first hog just a week before I did with a Marlin 336 in 30-30. He bought that rifle at BIG 5 for $379 not long ago. I would say 3-4 months after we saw a huge Russian Sow taken with the Mighty 1985 in 45-70. He was asking me what hog rifle he should buy, and I recommended the 336 because that big sale was on. A 336 for under 400... He snatched it up and says he'll never buy another rifle. I was trying to show him the guide guns, but he feels just fine with what he's got. The hog he got was much bigger than the one I got. and a lot more feral looking. The one I got was on his Birthday, so he's got the fire as well. Two young guys out there running, iron sighted Marlins in 30-30. :)

Modoc ED

Post subject: Re: First Successful Hunt! Reply with quote
Why are you calling the hunts "guarded"? Everyone in CA pretty much knows where to go for hog hunting on BLM land or otherwise.

Really!?? :o Where?? If there was hogs where I live it would probably be a lot easier to find some private property....... They are just not here.... yet.
Clint Smith
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

mikld wrote:Right now I'm looking at Fortuna. Wife an I have been there about 6 times to check it out and like what we see. The only problem with Fortuna is it is still in California!
Check out Brookings, OR just over the CA/OR Border and the Grants Pass, OR area.
ED
Yer never too old
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Em336 - Just to the West of 162 is the Mendocino National Forest with the Shasta Trinity National Forest just North of there and the Six Rivers National Forest a little West of the Shasta Trinity National Forest. You have unlimited hunting opportunities in the National Forests. As long as yer traveling that far North, you might as well swing East over to Tehama County around Red Bluff. Lots of pigs/hogs over there and the Lassen National Forest is just East of Red Bluff up along Route 36.

That's just the National Forests. Get a BLM map for BLM lands and a State Recreation Map for State lands.

Yeah, it's tough getting into some of the hunting clubs but then again, they tend to get a little snobbish the older the club gets and aren't all they're pumped up to be when it comes to hunting.

Here's a hint for getting permission to hunt on private property. Make up a business/calling card with your personal info on it to give to the land owner or land manager. Here's the card I give out (standard business card size) to private property owners/manages when I am trying to get permission to hunt on their properties.

I have my physical home address and my truck's license plate number on the back of the card.

You'd be surprised how many more land owners/managers will give you access to their property when you are willing to provide that kind of information. It gives them the sense that you are responsible and will take proper care on/of their property.

EDIT: Where do you live in CA "Em336 ". If you live down near San Diego you can go out to Jacumba and bust pigs/hogs out there. They are few and far between but they're there. Mostly feral pigs/hogs from the Mexican side of the border. You can also backtrack along the border toward Tecate and find some there. When I used to live down there, I belonged to the South Bay Rod & Gun Club and on the odd occassion a few pigs/hogs would waddle through the area. If ya want pigs/hogs in CA, you're going to have to work for em.
ED
Yer never too old
Em336
Levergunner

Post by Em336 »

Thats a great idea! Thanks for recommending the card, and for the example! I live in Tuolumne County, so it's all long drives. I think we might have something lined up for King City. They say they got some real good ones out there. I had been told that Red Bluff was good as well.
Clint Smith
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Welcome aboard with a great story 8) !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."