30-30 vs AR15 (Original thread locked)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

30-30 vs AR15 (Original thread locked)

Post by trooper joe »

Just ran accross this thread which was locked.

I got my first AR15 (Bushmaster M4/A3) last fall. I had a chance to shoot it at the same range I was sighting in my 1951 Model 94, 30-30, with open sights. I admit I have to get used to the peep sight arrangement on the Bushmaster, but I was having a little trouble grouping the shots at 30-40 yards (I think it will get better with practise).

However, I then shot my Winchester ("Politically correct") battle rifle, 1951 vintage with open sights, and groupd three shots at 40 yards, touching each other. I looked at the black gun and thought, "What's this all about" ?

I have since gotten used to the Bushmaster and it shoots great (10 rounds in a silver dollar sized group at 50 yards with the regular peep sights on the M3 handle).

However, 30-30 ammo in my area, is still plentiful and relatively cheap (about $10 to $13 for a box of 20}. Plus, I think you can even cross the border from Michigan to Canada and buy it up there.

So, I will keep the one Bushmaster, but will deffinately keep the three lever action 30-30s (two Winchester 94's and one old Northern Maine woods beater Marlin pre-cross bolt safety model).

Just some thoughts,
Trooper Joe
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 30-30 vs AR15 (Original thread locked)

Post by Modoc ED »

Did ya think there may have been a reason that the original thread was locked?
ED
Yer never too old
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

Not sure but maybe the replies were getting too far away from lever guns.

It's been a while since I visited this forum (last fall I think) and it used to be all about lever guns.

I, like the rest of the gang, really do enjoy all type of firearms, but my first love (I keep coming back to them) is of course lever guns. You know the old saying, "If it doesn't have a lever, it's not really a gun :D "

This is a great forum and you guys do a really good job with it.

Thanks for all the input.
Trooper Joe
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The 30-30 is better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Oh no not again. What is it with people and opening cans of worms these days. By the way .303 Brit is better. :wink: :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Well now JReed, we all know 303 Savage beats all. Yea, yea, totally different than the 30-30.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

Modoc ED wrote:Did ya think there may have been a reason that the original thread was locked?

Modoc ED,

I have to appoligize for naming this title as I did. I finally read/scanned all 7 pages of the original and I see your point why it was locked.

Without renaming this thread, I must say I really like all my lever guns as well as my new AR15 (M4).

However, if I was still working the road as a State Trooper, I would probably still grab the old 12 guage pump when I headed out for patrol. There seems to be nothing quite like the sound of racking one in the chamber to get the bad guys attention.

My comment about the ("Politically correct") battle rifle concerns a re-hashing of the 94 assult weapons ban. If it happes, even my non-gun friends seem to put up with my lever guns 8) .
Trooper Joe
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Gobblerforge wrote:Well now JReed, we all know 303 Savage beats all. Yea, yea, totally different than the 30-30.
Gobbler
That may be but a 50BMG settels all arguments. :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

CHECK THIS OUT :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

If you want a real laugh, I have many lever guns, several SigSauer's, two nice 1911's (one a sort of custom shop Kimber), wheel guns, 12 guage pumps, ETC. However, all the heavier hand guns as well as the long guns stay in the trunk or glove box (even though I have had a "general carry permit" for over 20 years.

Last week I purchased a "mouse gun", which is a KelTec P-32. This has been the first week since I retired (almost 20 years ago), that I have had a gun with me, in my pocket, every time I left the house (heck even in the house since it is so small/about 6oz or so).

Have about 140 rounds through it, with no mal-functions (even with HP ammo).

I know, it is a "Mouse Gun" but as they say, a 32 in your pocket is better than a 40 cal in the glove box.

I just found out that a major police department in my state, just authorized the Ruger LCP (.380) as a back up and off duty gun. The local police supply gun store in that city can not get enough of them. The Ruger LCP is almost the same size as my KelTec P-32 (except in .380 instead of .32 ACP).

As soon as I can find some .380 ammo (there is none in Michigan) I plan on buying the Ruger LCP as a companion to my P-32 and 30-30 and M4 rifles :D .
Trooper Joe
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Soooooooo....

... how 'bout that weather?

...nice and... ...weathery...
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Otto wrote:Soooooooo....

... how 'bout that weather?

...nice and... ...weathery...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

We are talking leverguns. :!: :!: :!: :!:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...