Valuation of Browning 71 / Supplies?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AR-Trvlr
Levergunner

Valuation of Browning 71 / Supplies?

Post by AR-Trvlr »

It's with a heavy heart that I've decided to sell my Browning M71, but bills have to be paid. I'm not sure, however, what the going rate is for the rifle and the supplies. Any input on valuation would be appreciated - I'm not trying to get the maximum, but something fair for both sides.

The rifle - a Browning M71 in .348

The metal is almost perfect. The stock has a couple of chips at the tang/receiver. Lyman receiver peep sight, with the rear sight has been removed and replaced with a blank. The front sight has been replaced with a fiber-optic type. I have the OEM parts, but the rear sight was improperly stored and has some rust. It has an 'Eliminator' rubber pad that was installed very well. (I assume it's not OEM)

Ideas on the value of the rifle by itself?

The reloading supplies:

Hornady 'custom grade new dimensions' 2-die full-length set plus RCBS trim die and Lee (crimp?) die.
Hornady shell holder
Wilson case guage

155 WW Super virgin brass in unmarked ziplock baggies
100 WW Super virgin brass in Winchester marked bags - 50 per bag.
40 WW Super virgin brass in 2 ammo-style cardboard boxes marked 'unprimed cases'

80 Hornady 200 GR FP Interlock bullets
200 Horn. 200 GR FP bullets
125 Barnes 220 GR flat nose
215 Barnes 250 GR flat nose

Box of 15 rounds and 5 fired cases (all WW Super) loaded by the previous owner. (I fired the 5, but won't promise anything) - I would sell these as ammo to be pulled apart & reloaded.

So? Thoughts on the value of the supplies?

I intend to advertise these here first, but no offers please until I do.

Thanks!

edit: I have to re-size the pics before I can post them....

Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Valuation of Browning 71 / Supplies?

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Just a swag, but the rifle alone +$1200. Looks to be in great shape. You're not interested in a trade are you? Yes I know, but I had to ask. The 71 is my quest. I have several other Browning winchesters but the 71 is special, and I don't have one , and I don't have the $ to pick one up right now. I'm looking though.
Good luck on it it sure looks to be a sweetheart. :D
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

AR-Trvlr,
I have a couple Browning 71's myself. One in High Grade, the other Standard. Both are rifles.
In the first place, I think your rifle isn't a rifle, it's a carbine.
I suggest that you go to gunbroker.com and do a search for Browning model 71. Pay attention to the auctions with bids, not the asking prices.
In my experience $1,200 for your rifle is, well, optimistic at best. There's a NIB carbine with zero bids priced at $979. Another NIB High Grade rifle is currently at $1,000.
I got a really good deal with my NIB Browning 3 years ago at $750 shipped. You might find a buyer around $700, maybe $750, but be prepared for less, particularly with the alterations. Sling swivels are not stock on these rifles. Some guys don't like them.
Remember, my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.
As far as the reloading supplies, you'll probably find ready buyers, especially for the brass. Google searches or gunbroker should help with pricing. I suggest you sell the reloading components separate from the rifle.

Pharmseller
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Hi Phamseller,

I wish I know where you were finding the prices you've quoted. I certainly don't doubt you. We're in the same area and the 71's I find at local gun shops or gun shows are few and far between, and have a pretty stiff price on them. I'll have to start looking else where. I don't go on gun broker much. I'd be interested to know.

Cheers
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I agree with Pharmseller - the B-71 20" guns are getting between $750 and $1000 depending on condition, box, etc. Your rifle has probably been cut for the pad, and has sling studs in it. While a great and functional hunting package, the value is shot a bit. The receiver site helps a bit. I'd guess $700 to $800 on the internet sites.

For comparison, I too had to part with the same exact model a few months ago, 99% with box, with a Williams receiver sight. I got $850 on Gunbroker. This is/was mine: http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =119792329

The components are worth a fair bit. The retail is about $600 and I usually figure 50 to 75% of that would be realistic for resale. I'd probably cough up about $350 to $400 for that batch of goods.

Good luck to you, and I'm sorry you have to part with such a nice package :(
Chad
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Pathfinder09 wrote:Hi Phamseller,

I wish I know where you were finding the prices you've quoted. I certainly don't doubt you. We're in the same area and the 71's I find at local gun shops or gun shows are few and far between, and have a pretty stiff price on them. I'll have to start looking else where. I don't go on gun broker much. I'd be interested to know.

Cheers
Pathfinder,
I went to a couple of shows recently and you're right about prices. My experience at gun shows suggests that the folk behind the table want top dollar for model 71s. Funny thing is, you see the same guys with the same 71s at every gun show. They're asking, but not selling.
I've bought a few firearms from gunbroker, all with zero problems. I've gotten some good deals as well, two on model 71s in particular. If you want a High Grade model 71 carbine you'll find the one I mentioned. Get a local guy with an FFL to receive for you and you're set.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think these folks are right. To sell, $1200-1400 (tops) for the whole deal. I can't imagine somebody would want to buy the carbine and not the rest of it, particularly the bullets.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Hobie wrote:I think these folks are right. To sell, $1200-1400 (tops) for the whole deal. I can't imagine somebody would want to buy the carbine and not the rest of it, particularly the bullets.
Imagine it.

I had a High Grade Browning M71 at sale with enough components, dies, etc. to keep the rifle going for decades. Many, MANY people wanted me to part out the package. I maintained the grouping. My decision was the equivalent of protecting prospective M71 buyer from making a regrettable decision. The package was at auction for more than a month.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

I put the calculator to work. The whole works is worth about $1,340. Barnes bullets are not cheap and Hornady bullets are starting to edge up as well. New brass is always hard to get below scalper prices and the other stuff will have to be purchased by the new owner if he intends to do any shooting. Your carbine is set up well as a shooter, and there are those who'd just as soon have all the work done and not have to send it out - in other words, don't let the well set up recoil pad and sights make you think the gun is that much less valuable than a standard grade collector. If you seriously want to sell it, I'd mark it at $1,100 for the whole outfit and run that for a couple months before moving down. Remember, most folks are broke at the moment, so if you don't have to sell, don't sell - and if you do, don't expect much in a hurry. I wish I had a little extra money, I could use a good Browning as a back-up to my Winchester.

Keep this in mind, they're never going to make these again - never. And I don't know of any hunter designed hunting rifles currently being made. There are a lot of marketing executive, lawyer driven, committe designed rifles being made; but the era of that which you want to shed is gone like the first words you mumbled this morning. Gone - long gone.
AR-Trvlr
Levergunner

Post by AR-Trvlr »

Hi All -

Thanks for your info. I appreciate the insight as to value & marketing.

I'll be posting a "for sale" ad here shortly.

AR-Trvlr
AR-Trvlr
Levergunner

Post by AR-Trvlr »

I've posted an ad over in the classifieds:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =2&t=16454
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AR-Trvlr wrote:I've posted an ad over in the classifieds:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =2&t=16454

Someone PLEASE scoot over to the classifieds and gobble this one up! AR-Trvlr priced it very nicely at $800 for the gun and $400 for the supplies. I doubt you'll find a better deal again. I am flat busted on my gun funds - actually in the red a bit - otherwise I'd jump. I know - I know - I'm being an ENABLER (right Mike? :wink: ). Still, it would be nice to see this one "stay in the family" of levergunners... :D
AR-Trvlr
Levergunner

Post by AR-Trvlr »

It looks like I have a buyer for the M71, but he's only interested in some of the supplies. Now I need to figure out what the components are worth individually...

Thoughts on what's fair? I don't intend to gouge, but I'm raising cash to replace my truck, so I'd like to find a price that's fair to both parties...

(1) Hornady 'custom grade new dimensions' 2-die full-length set plus RCBS trim die and Lee (crimp?) die.
(2) Hornady shell holder
(3) Wilson case guage

(4) 155 WW Super virgin brass in unmarked ziplock baggies
(5) 100 WW Super virgin brass in Winchester marked bags - 50 per bag.
(6) 40 WW Super virgin brass in 2 ammo-style cardboard boxes marked 'unprimed cases'

(7) 80 Hornady 200 GR FP Interlock bullets
(8) 200 Horn. 200 GR FP bullets
(9) 125 Barnes 220 GR flat nose
(10) 215 Barnes 250 GR flat nose

(11) Box of 15 rounds and 5 fired cases (all WW Super) loaded by the previous owner. (I fired the 5, but won't promise anything) - I would sell these as ammo to be pulled apart & reloaded.

Browsing Gunbroker, brass seems to be priced at $30 to $45 for 50. Hornady 200 gr FP at $30 per 100, and interlock bullets at $24.

Seems a *little* steep.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

sorry to hear about your bad luck. the 71 is like the GLOCK of leverguns. throw it in a mud pile and it comes up shooting. the .348 wcf. is all the practical man needs to take north america's game out to 250 yards. it would break my heart to part with mine. i hope your fortunes reverse. good luck.