OT - Berdan Primers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

OT - Berdan Primers

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I was just wondering why I cannot find Berdan primers? I've got some beautiful GP11 7.5x55 Swiss brass that I hate to trash. Is there some reason I'm not aware of as to why Berdan primers are not available?
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT - Berdan Primers

Post by J Miller »

You don't find Berdan primers any more because 99.999999999999999999% of the ammo loaded and reloaded in this country uses Boxer primers.
RWS makes Berdan primers. Do a search on that company, you might find someone who has them. I understand your desire not to scrap good brass.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I had a friend who wanted to shoot a chi com moisan Nagant he brought home from S.E. Asia. Back then 7.62X54R was scarce as hens teeth and if you could find it it was expensive. He ended up taking what brass he did have, which had berdan primers in it and drilling the primer pockets out so they would fit a 209 primer. It wasn't a barn burnin varmit round but with some cast bullets and mild loads he could at least enjoy his trophy.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rusty wrote:I had a friend who wanted to shoot a chi com moisan Nagant he brought home from S.E. Asia. Back then 7.62X54R was scarce as hens teeth and if you could find it it was expensive. He ended up taking what brass he did have, which had berdan primers in it and drilling the primer pockets out so they would fit a 209 primer. It wasn't a barn burnin varmit round but with some cast bullets and mild loads he could at least enjoy his trophy.
I saw a post recently on drilling a center hole for decapping, and then using regular rifle/pistol (I don't remember the size) primers and the author said it worked well. Again, there is alot of flash-hole open that way, and you'd want to make sure the primer fit was reasonably snug (probably by feel as you seat it) and definitely flush so not to slam-fire. I'd stick with pretty low pressure loadings, too, if it were me.

Can you fire-form the brass from another Boxer-primed one more easily available?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

You could always convert the cases:

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsfo ... -Conversio

Worth a try, I think.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
There must be a simple solution to the berdan primer. Swage the Berdan pocket, solder in a plug, drill the vent hole, then drill the primer hole small and swage it to final fit.
Just an idea sitting here ...
Mike in Peru God Bless ya´ll
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jeep guy,

I think I like your idea better.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

Well, instead of converting the cases you can use them as is. I have seen pictures of Berdan decappers, one kind that spears the primer and pries it out, the other is a hydraulic arrangement that pressurizes the case and pushes the primer out.

I haven't worked with Berdan primers, but have thought of it. A lot of good brass gets tossed because it is not Boxer. Sorry, I don't have any sources for tools or primers, maybe google will help.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

RCBS sells the decapping tools.

Don't know where to get the Berdan primers though.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

Huh, you're right. I googled around and found that PMC imported Berdan primers from Russia back in '05 or so (or at least planned to), and that "Old Western Scrounger" used to have them but he's now out of business. Couldn't find anyone actually selling them. Hmmm, sounds like a business opportunity...
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

PaulB wrote:Huh, you're right. I googled around and found that PMC imported Berdan primers from Russia back in '05 or so (or at least planned to), and that "Old Western Scrounger" used to have them but he's now out of business. Couldn't find anyone actually selling them. Hmmm, sounds like a business opportunity...
+1 on the business opportunity. I have a bucket of GP11 brass from my K31. Quite a few K31's and GP11 have been sold the past few years. I'll bet there is no shortage of Berdan primers in Europe. If an enterprising web store would stock some and advertise that they have them,along with the dies and the decapping tool, they would sell. Either Redding or RCBS make 7.5 Swiss dies for the K31 chamber, I can't recall which one. The others are patterned on earlier rifles using the 7.5 Swiss round.

I just can't bring myself to scrap that beautiful GP11 high quality Swiss brass. Maybe Berdan primers will be back one day.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson