Traveling and the Law

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Traveling and the Law

Post by AJMD429 »

Had to check the internet today, just to be sure that before we travel a thousand miles to visit relatives, my driver's license would be valid in the various states and cities we plan to travel to. I found out it isn't valid in one state, and we'll either have to take a chance, or go about 1,500 miles out of our way.

Had to check some other locations too, in case we get a detour, or decide at the last minute to go see some tourist attraction.

As far as I know, our vehicle will be legal in two of the states we'll be travelling in, but sometimes there are local laws which make it illegal to have a vehicle (SUV) like ours, or to have some particular feature, such as four wheel drive, or dual exhaust pipes. If we took the other vehicle, it would be legal in three states, but it isn't as reliable, so I don't want to have to choose the dangerous one just to be in compliance with a stupid law against high-capacity fuel tanks.

Problem is, "intent" is no excuse if you mess up, and most of the violations are felonies. Some of them mean loss of your driver's license for LIFE, and loss of your vehicle, and the right to own any other vehicles for LIFE.

Even some hotels have signs posted saying they don't honor driver's licenses, and if you unwittingly go on their property with your vehicle, you'll not only get thrown out, but often arrested as well, and it all goes on your record.

I can see regulations like this might vary over the nation concerning something like GUNS, where the morality of self defense and the principles of gun safety are so clearly different depending on the longitude and latitude, but gosh, with driving, there aren't ANY places where the driving conditions or traffic vary, whether you're in New York City rush hour, or up in the Rockies in a blizzard with a trailer. Same thing as far as equipment - some guns are just more DANGEROUS in warmer climates, or where there is high humidity, but there's really no difference in pulling a 6-horse trailer behind a Suburban, and crusing along in a Corvette, now is there?

Oh well, back to the net to check the traffic laws.

...........oops!

Guess I got guns and cars mixed up...!
:? :evil: :?: :!:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Well that was interesting. :wink: Didn't get it utill the end. :lol:

You bring up a good angle for arguing the "case", thanks for sharing.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
FALPhil
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Traveling and the Law

Post by FALPhil »

AJMD429 wrote:Had to check the internet today, just to be sure that before we travel a thousand miles to visit relatives, my driver's license would be valid in the various states and cities we plan to travel to. I found out it isn't valid in one state, and we'll either have to take a chance, or go about 1,500 miles out of our way.
As long as you stay in the United States, your driver's license from one state is good in all states and territories. Article IV, Section 1 of the United States Constitution states:
Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.
This means administrative licenses are honored in all states and territories. This interpretation was ratified by SCOTUS in the decision for the appeal of Mills v. Duryee.

So, your driver's license issued in one state is valid in all states, but a state may revoke your driving privileges under certain circumstances. And if you have a license that was issued in a jurisdiction outside of the U.S., it may not be honored in all states.

This being said, firearms permits are a contentious issue. Some states refuse to honor other states' permits for concealed carry. However, the Firearms Owners Protection Act allows US citizens and permanent residents to travel in all states with unloaded (non-NFA) firearms that are not accessible from the passenger compartment. New Jersey does not honor FOPA, but the cases get thrown out when moved to federal court. It still costs money to fight the scumbags in court, however.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Traveling and the Law

Post by FWiedner »

FALPhil wrote:This being said, firearms permits are a contentious issue. Some states refuse to honor other states' permits for concealed carry. However, the Firearms Owners Protection Act allows US citizens and permanent residents to travel in all states with unloaded (non-NFA) firearms that are not accessible from the passenger compartment. New Jersey does not honor FOPA, but the cases get thrown out when moved to federal court. It still costs money to fight the scumbags in court, however.

Some states aren't worth the trouble to visit, just like some businesses aren't worth supporting.

I figure that the subjects that live in those places and dream up those stupid restrictions can just stew in their own juice.

:)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I just take my gun of choice, and go.

I've always looked at it this way - The Founding Fathers, and The Continental Congress gave me a CCW, good everywhere.

Amendment II (the Second Amendment) of the United States Constitution’s Bill of Rights declares a well-regulated militia as "being necessary to the security of a free State" and prohibits infringement of "the right of the people to keep and bear arms."
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Myself, I've committed felonies in a number of states.

I figure if I ever REALLY need the gun, the felony rap will be
the least of my worries.

I figure most DAs will not press charges in a "good" shooting -
they'll be too embarassed to prosecute a law-abiding veteran
who just whacked a drugged-out mugger. I could, of course,
be wrong - but I'll be alive enough to fight the charges, eh?
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

There is a book available that details all firearms laws of all 50 states, plus Mexico and Canada, for any traveler who is interested. Reciprocity is covered, as well as what constitutes legal carry of a loaded firearm inside a vehicle for each particular state.

Rob
NRA
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

New Jersey does not honor FOPA, but the cases get thrown out when moved to federal court. It still costs money to fight the scumbags in court, however.

Thats why, if there were justice in this country, the officials that allow this in NJ should find themselves faceing a jury.
The arresting leo, the prosecuting attorney & the judge at the very minimum are all three guilty of violateing the persons rights.

But it dont happen. Because we allow it to continue. :?