LEVER SILHOUETTE MATCH REPORT

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

LEVER SILHOUETTE MATCH REPORT

Post by GEOFF »

Had a GREAT turnout for our long range silhouette match here at Tonasket, Wa. today. I couldn't believe it, 22 shooters in all and a few spectators. I'd say that's the most shooters ever for long range so good to see lever action shooting is still on the rise around here!!!

After having a HORRIBLE day last month with my old 1883 vintage Marlin 1881 in .45 GVT, and being humiliated about it by my so called BUDDIES, I brought out "old faithful" my 1893 Marlin I bought from mm93, that's chambered in .38-55.

I shot really well, had a FANTASTIC spotter and thought I might be in the running for match winner with my score of 34 hits out of a 40 round match. I went 10/10 chickens, 8/10 Pigs, 9/10 Turkeys, and 7/10 Rams. Then I ask this guy shooting of ALL THINGS a 16" barreled WINCHESTER 94 TRAPPER in .357 Mag. and he SHOT A 37 OUT OF 40!!!!

SO I CAME IN SECOND OR "FIRST LOSER" WHICH EVER WAY YOU WANT TO LOOK AT IT. That guy shot that short barreled Winchester so well it was cool to see, even if he beat me.

Couple of observations. I saw one guy shooting a NEWER Winchester 94 Carbine in .30-30 that the cartridge elevator in his action broke during the match. This same guy has a BEAUTIFUL 1950's vintage Winchester model 64 there that I hope he'll get sorted out for next month.

I also saw another new shooter that brought a REBLUED 1893 Marlin carbine, and he shot the match with that old girl and did fairly well.

One guy showed up for his FIRST MATCH using a Marlin 336 in .30-30, NO BUTT PLATE, NO REAR SIGHT ELEVATOR, used KENTUCKY WINDAGE AND ELEVATION thru out the match and shot a 24 out of 40 WHICH IS PRETTY DARN GOOD CONSIDERING THE CIRCUMSTANCES AND HIS FIRST MATCH. I found myself really pulling for the guy with that beat up old Marlin. It was his true "horseback" gun and he'd never shot a match in his life. He just brought what he had and DID WELL!!!! He made a lot of friends today I'd say!

2 guys drove old Chevy pickups, 1950's vintage so we had a bit of a car show too!!!

The guy that won the match with the 37 out of 40 with that Winchester trapper .357 used 180 grain loads thru out the match. I've really got to hand it to the guy!! He shoes horses for a living so him and short carbines must go together like hand and glove!!!

Wind who posts here on levergunners, was there as well. Think I finally beat him after he cleaned my clock 2 months in a row!!! Hopefully he'll chime in with any additional insight!

I prefer old Marlins but I've got a Winchester 1894 coming this week from Leroy Merz. It's chambered in .25-35WCF. Someone, can't remember who, posted a while back that the 2 top finishers down at Raton NM used .25-35's. So, I want to check this new baby out. Maybe in about 2 weeks I'll come up with a range report!!

Anybody close, Kwcook, maybe Sureshot from over on the west side, COME ON OVER, THE 2ND SATURDAY OF EVERY MONTH FOR GOOD SILHOUETTE SHOOTING HERE IN TONASKET WA. EVERYONE'S WELCOME!!

Geoff
major
Levergunner 2.0

Re: LEVER SILHOUETTE MATCH REPORT

Post by major »

I live in TN and would love to find an event like that to get into in my spare time on the weekends sounds like a lot of fun .........thanks for the post....great way to meet new friends and being new to TN it would be right up my ally to get into something like that..... :D
Major

*If guns were your children how hard would you fight to protect and keep them*
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Great shooting Geoff. 34x40 would put you in the top 5 finishers, in our big bore matches.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Geoff,
Good shootin'! A 34 is something to be might proud of. As for the guy with the 16" gun and the 37x40, well, in the levergun silhouette game, its the shooter, not the gun. :( :D . I keep telling myself that, but every match, I'm trying something different.

You and I know that without shooting the old original guns, the silhouette game would be just like any other game. To us, and a few others, the GUNS make the difference. :D :D ------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Well boys - GEOFF did indeed shoot a fine match. I made several almost terminal mis-calculations. First, I figured spring was coming and it would warm up some as the day progressed. Second, I didn't bring my trigger finger warming heater. Thirdly, I didn't wear my longhandles. There was a point in time, on the way back from resetting turkeys that I froze up so bad, my two nineteen year old nurses, Bubbles and Bambi, had to run out and drag me back to the firing line. Sure hope next month alittle more Spring is here. Watch yer top knots. Wind
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sounds like you boys had a good time, that's great.

I'd like to make it to your match some time. I've never shot silhouette and would need to determine which rifle I'd bring. My reloading equipment is packed away so I'd probably have to shoot factory rounds. No big deal, but I don't have my ranges down either. What ranges are the critters set at? And, is it possible to shoot some sighters prior to the match starting?
Old Law Dawg
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Geoff & Wind,
You guys don't get 4-5 kids to set the targets for you. We put out a "tip" jar and everyone puts about $5 in. It's well worth it, to stay dry, a little warmer, they're a whole lot faster since there's money involved and it keeps our heart rate down. :wink:

Kimwcook,
Chickens at 50m, pigs at 100m, turkeys at 150m and rams at 200m, for big bore. Pistol caliber targets are half the size and half the distance except for the chickens. They're at 40m instead of 25m, for safety. Remember this is METERS, not Yards. 200yds vs 200m can be a lot of bullet drop.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

THAT sounds like the epitome of a really good gun-shootin' match. One of those events that brings together people of all ages, all economic circumstances, all occupations, and everyone has a good time, without having to have a 'race' gun.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

AJMD429 wrote:THAT sounds like the epitome of a really good gun-shootin' match. One of those events that brings together people of all ages, all economic circumstances, all occupations, and everyone has a good time, without having to have a 'race' gun.

You do have those that try to "buy" their way into the winners circle, but the majority just treat it as a weekend "golf" game.
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

Major, where in TN are you? I am in the Knoxville area and I would like to do the same.

Dave
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

jdad - We had some kids over at the Machias Club on the wet side setting targets when I was shooting small bore silhouette. It is a great system. I'm kinda the new kid on the block here and haven't made the suggestion. I think GEOFF may have a few of his own!

kimwcook - jdad has the distances pegged. We do shoot several rounds of sighters prior to diving into the match. If you've got a trailer, you'd be welcome to drag it up here. I've got a RV spot at my place. The best part is that I've got 0-1200 yards for sighting in. Get here a day early and have at it. No trailer? Guest room is an air mattress on the shop floor!! You'd be welcome.

Watch yer top knots. Wind
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I appreciate the offer, Wind. I might just take you up on that. I don't live that far away, about 120 miles. Driving up for the match wouldn't be that hard, but getting my sights set would entail arriving the day before. Thinking hard on it.
Old Law Dawg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jdad wrote: You do have those that try to "buy" their way into the winners circle, but the majority just treat it as a weekend "golf" game.
I think the silhouette game vs. "bullseye" stuff makes it a little easier for the guy with an 'ordinary' gun to compete; ultra precision isn't as important as basic 'field' accuracy, and you have to have a powerful enough round to do the job, vs. a really light one that may hit well but not do much to the target aside from make a hole in paper.

Plus, it is more fun for bystanders to watch - they are WAY more likely to say "Hey, can I try that...?" which is really important these days. We need all the 'shooters' we can get - to keep clubs and matches going, and to raise another generation of people who understand guns, and because of that - hopefully, freedom.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'd like to do a match like that someday....... I'm ignorant: What position do you shoot from?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Off-hand and standing, Right :?:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Offhand, iron sights (peeps/tangs & front globe with post are ok) , 15 second "ready" to pick up the rifle and load 5 rounds into the magazine tube, and 2 minutes to get 5 shots off. Pretty simple, yet so difficult. :D
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Well thanks for all the replies!

Major and BwanaDave: Hopefully you guys can find someplace close to shoot silhouette. We bought used targets from a range that was closing down, then had a community effort getting everything donated and put together. Worked really well.

Jdad, You know what this all entails, you've had great success! I'm thinking you are probably right at the 90% shooter, 10% equipment. Maybe 80 to 20. You are right, but what facinates me is finding some of those old rifles that Winchester and Marlin built way back when sure seem to help a fella hit better than others. Also, a great idea to have kids set targets. Most of the guys didn't mind the walk Saturday, they were trying to stay warm!!!

Sixgun: You and I are definitely on the same wave length. The old guns just seem to make the day more enjoyable. Fun to see the difference in the progression of guns and cartridges from the 1870's and 1880's then see the advancement into the Marlin 1893 and the Winchester 1894 and IN MY OPINION, how much easier the rifles from the mid 1890's are to hit with. It's going to be really fun to see how well this .25-35 works out.

Wind, you are HILARIOUS, I never saw your "nurses" up there!! But it sure was cold, for some reason felt COLDER than the temperature was showing. I know I drank all my coffee up, jitters and all!!!

AJMD, You are SO RIGHT, it doesn't matter what rifle you show up with, the guys just cheer you on!! Thank goodness that it doesn't turn into a "race gun" deal. Guys try to work on their loads, and most guys have found that rifle config works better than carbine, BUT look at the guy who won our match Sat, A 16" TRAPPER!!!! Shows some mighty fine shooting can be done with a short barrel. Another cool thing about our matches is that they are CHEAP, a $5 entry fee and just certificates for winners. We try to encourage as many new shooters as possible.

One thing I forgot to mention is that a high school kid came up from the next town south. A football, and wrestling stud, just a sophomore. Finally had a Saturday free and using a BORROWED Winchester 94 Carbine .30-30 ended up shooting a 31 out of 40. Great to see young guys enjoying the shooting sports. I saw that kid go 5 straight on Turkeys and end up with a 9 out of 10. The older guy that brought him deserves credit for getting him to the match too.

Well sorry no pictures, it's pretty busy up there during the match. I'll try to do better next time.

Geoff
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Geoff, There's a reason why they say "ignorance is bliss". That boy with the 30-30 carbine shootin' a 31 knew nothing of the game or with the rifle. The more he knows about rifles, sight pictures, sights, trajectories, aiming points, loads........etc, the lower his scores will drop.

My first year in the levergun silhouette game, I knew a bit but tried desperately to improve, so I studied different front sights, velocities, on an on and on..........practiced like crazy....................................The first year, I never shot under 30--it gained me AAA status in pistol caliber and big bore-----never cared for .22---------------second year, I averaged 28----------------------practice, practice, practice................the third year I am hovering around 28 again but had a few 25's, even one 22.

The more I know, the worse I become, but........................I'm having a blast doing it :D :D ------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

major
Levergunner 2.0

Post by major »

Bwanadave.........I live in Johnson City not to far for knoxville.......it would be awsome to get out to shoot some......
Major

*If guns were your children how hard would you fight to protect and keep them*
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Sixgun wrote:Geoff, There's a reason why they say "ignorance is bliss". That boy with the 30-30 carbine shootin' a 31 knew nothing of the game or with the rifle. The more he knows about rifles, sight pictures, sights, trajectories, aiming points, loads........etc, the lower his scores will drop.

My first year in the levergun silhouette game, I knew a bit but tried desperately to improve, so I studied different front sights, velocities, on an on and on..........practiced like crazy....................................The first year, I never shot under 30--it gained me AAA status in pistol caliber and big bore-----never cared for .22---------------second year, I averaged 28----------------------practice, practice, practice................the third year I am hovering around 28 again but had a few 25's, even one 22.

The more I know, the worse I become, but........................I'm having a blast doing it :D :D ------------Sixgun
This is why I stopped practicing. I shot 40x40 practicing, but choked during matches. Life is easier now. I just shoot when match days come around. I'm AAA in bigbore, pistol caliber, SB standard, SB hunter, and SB cowboy. I've shot a couple of Master class scores, but those were flukes.

Geoff,
It really is more shooter than equipment. We had a Master class shooter score a perfect 40x40, in SB cowboy, using a Marlin 57 and crappy Remington Golden Bulets. :shock:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well.... I'm just going to have to work harder and find a place I can shoot it... I think I can lug around 50 rounds each of .30WCF and .45 Colt and a couple of rifles... shhh... don't tell! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

That sounds like a lot fun, I would like to try it sometime.

Griff, do you know if Gibson's does a lever action silhouette?
Ricky

DWWC
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Griff,

Hey we'll treat you right up here! Should be easy to get you a load of apples headed back south. You pull a refer??? I can't remember, I just remember that is the nicest T600 that I've seen.

Lets see, we'll get you loaded on Friday at the warehouse 80 miles south, then you come up and shoot the match or matches Saturday and then you are headed south again. PIECE OF CAKE!!!! Remember, THE SECOND SATURDAY OF EVERY MONTH EXCEPT OCTOBER.

Geoff
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

RKrodle wrote:That sounds like a lot fun, I would like to try it sometime.
Griff, do you know if Gibson's does a lever action silhouette?
I thought they used to... by I haven't seen one on their schedule... and when I dropped in there Fri, I didn't think to check again.
GEOFF wrote:Griff,
Hey we'll treat you right up here! Should be easy to get you a load of apples headed back south. You pull a refer??? I can't remember, I just remember that is the nicest T600 that I've seen.
Lets see, we'll get you loaded on Friday at the warehouse 80 miles south, then you come up and shoot the match or matches Saturday and then you are headed south again. PIECE OF CAKE!!!! Remember, THE SECOND SATURDAY OF EVERY MONTH EXCEPT OCTOBER.
Geoff
Nope, no "refer"... bad connotations! :P Oh, wait... that was reefer! :twisted: We actually get up to that area quite often... when I can catch the 3 or 4 guys that live in that area out on the east coast for a week... then I can get up there! Hey, stickin' around a place, puttin' up with the same ol', same ol', outta get ya some connections... gotta try pullin' on a string once in a while, see if I can get one of puppets knee a jerkin'!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

I got my calendar marked and the wife has time off - I'm goin to try my bestest to get over there and win the vegetarian class (least critters hit) next month. Hopefully it'll warm-up and the pass will be easy to cross so I can drive my truck over get some work done on my place.

April is still rifle caliber isn't it?

Wind (and Geoff) it's still my turn to buy the pizza, that is if you're not to embarrassed to eat with the guy who whiffed most of the arrays I shot towards.
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

GEOFF,
Great report! :mrgreen: Nice shooting! :mrgreen:
Please post your report
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/inde ... 144.0.html

Thank you,
w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian