Question(s) for 86er

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Question(s) for 86er

Post by J Miller »

Based on your experiences as a professional hunter and guide here is a couple questions, actually one question with multiple parameters.

If a person wanted one rifle to hunt all North American game with, and they were going to use factory ammo only, which ...

... bolt action rifle

... lever action rifle

and calibers would you suggest?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Re: Question(s) for 86er

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

"
J Miller wrote:Based on your experiences as a professional hunter and guide here is a couple questions, actually one question with multiple parameters.

If a person wanted one rifle to hunt all North American game with, and they were going to use factory ammo only, which ...

... bolt action rifle

... lever action rifle

and calibers would you suggest?
"

Joe asked, as he opened a can of worms. :lol:
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

My answer would vary based on an individuals motivation for hunting in the first place.

Across the board though, a 30-06 Bolt Action. Why - widespread versatility in factory ammo, capable of varmints to bison, and in reduced recoil too; plethora of used and new rifles at reasonable prices; scope or sights or both; availability of rifles and ammo; very useful trajectory range to expand opportunities; very reloadable for specific tasks; accessories like after market pre fit recoil pads, calibrated rangefinder scopes, rangefinder with drop compensators programmed to factory loads, etc. Readily available parts and repairs; modular (you can buy a different stock for length, color, material, the hell of it) or have a different barrel put on the same stocked action (35 Whelen, 280 Rem, etc.); international availability if you ever did decide to leave the US; understood by Guides and Outfitters; abundance of brass at range; works well with a vast range of powders; etc......

For 90% of hunting situations a 308 Win has not enough difference from the 30-06 to be noticable by game but it seems the overall # of rifles, ammo and components are less.

Now if your motivation was purely to get up close and personal with game, you don't mind hunting from a blind and you don't get a rise out of conventional equipment (or you are a convicted felon) I might suggest something like a 50 caliber in-line with 300 gr Nosler Partitions and 777 Mag pellets.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Can of worms, indeed. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

WOW!!!!

Convicted felon??? Now THAT is a can of worms. Can they own or possess muzzle loaders in Texas? I'm sure they can not in IL. Not sure about any place else.

I never even factored in "motivation". I'm sorta in the area of thinking what I'd keep if I got rid of the excess. I have a 30-06 that I've never shot. But to be honest I'm not a bolt gun fan. That's why I put the lever gun question in there too.

Ahhhh I sure hope the weather warms up a bit. I gotta get outta this house and do something.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

A muzzleloader does not meet the definition of firearm according to BATFE, GCA, etc. IF someone in that predicament was permitted by the State to have a hunting license they could use a MZLDR or Archery equipment.

If you were sticking with one lever gun for all, a Sav 99 or BLR in 308 would be pretty hard to beat across the board. So would a BLR in 300 Win Mag. Not ideal overall but versatile enough for just about anything in N.A.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I agree with 86er Joe. "Worst case scenerio" where GCA gets you you could do a heck of a lot worse than a good ML Double Rifle, a ML SxS Shotty, a 20ga SxS Howda and a brace of 1860s... All available through the Post from Cabelas... :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

From what I've read, IL considers muzzle loaders the same as cartridge guns.

Some time back I read an article about a hunter in WY I think that was a convicted felon in possession of a muzzle loader and got in more trouble because of it.

That's why I asked that question. Federal law might say one thing, but the states don't always agree.

Joe
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Well, Ill is just that... Ill. In every conceivable way.

But yeah, some states/cities DO/have decided to declare MLs to be "guns" for purposes of STATE anti-gun statutes, but according to Fed Law MLs are OK.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

86er wrote:A muzzleloader does not meet the definition of firearm according to BATFE, GCA, etc. IF someone in that predicament was permitted by the State to have a hunting license they could use a MZLDR or Archery equipment.
But it DOES meet the definition of firearm as to possession by a felon in the state of Virginia (and others).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

For ALL game in North America??

I would probably use a .375 H&H in a bolt gun or 45-70 in an 1886, or TedH's .470 just for giggles. :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

86er
I like my 257 roberts for deer and pronghorn, my 270 or 30-06 for elk in bolt action bullet weights are 257 100 grain, 270 135-140,160 grain and 06 165-180 grain.
In levers I like my 30-30 150-180 grain, for deer and .375 winchester with 220-268 grain for elk and 45-70 350-440 grain for elk.
Might not work for everyone but they work for me and that is what matters. I don't like to shoot anymore beyond 200-250 yards and prefer board side shots. I am in no hurry to get my game and if I have to pass up a few shots so what.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Win 670 30-06 The mechanical twin to the venerable Win 70 with fixed mag and birch furniture.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com