OT - a hunting air rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

OT - a hunting air rifle

Post by rjohns94 »

Not interested in any of the big bore air rifles for large game, just for crows, rabbits, ground hogs, tree rats and the like. I am thinking about .22 caliber and some of the English and German rifles are coming in arond 30-40fpe in that caliber. I know that .20 is better for longer shooting but I think that the .22 will serve me well. I am thinking of a PCP type - specifically :

http://www.theoben.co.uk/product.php?productid=59

Was interested to hear your comments and experience in this area. GAMEKEEPER and NATH, any light you can shed on this would be great too since your country is huge on air rifle hunting. Thanks.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Mike,
Try taking a look at www.airguns.net it is a web site run by a guy across the state from me but I've met him and he's a nice guy. There are gun tests there of a lot of different guns. Airguns are like a lot of other things. You'll look and look for information on it then one day out of the blue there will be a tidal wave of information.
IMHO the PCP guns are nice but you have to charge them somehow. My preference is for the Benjamin and if it weren't enough stock out of the box, I'd send it to Mac1. Either way you're going to get a good workout pumping something. I know they sell hand pumps for the PCP guns but have no idea how long it takes to pump up a bottle.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

PCP

Post by rjohns94 »

The PCP guns can be charged off a scuba tank and at full power, give about 30 - 50 shots , the 500 cc or 400 cc tank can be screwed out and another dropped in so all the "pumping" while in the field can be eliminated. A session of "low power shooting" at 12 fpe, will yield about 420 shots per 500cc tank. This was my thinking on the PCP. I won't shoot more than 30-50 shots while in the field shooting starlings and such so thats why I was staying away from the pumps. I have a break action spring air rilfe in .177 with a scope. I will be donating it to a forum member's child via drawing should I get this new pellet rifle. I had a sheridan blue streak once before and it shot very well and was the demise of many a crow and small game and varmits.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

There was another thread about airguns on here is last few days.

Someone posted a link for a site that had alot of brands for sale.

http://www.airgundepot.com/airforce-con ... 1043c.html

Here it is I just went back and looked it up.

The one that caught my eye was "airforce" brand. It had a tank much the same size as a paint ball gun and it looked pretty close too. It had an intergral
scope mount I believe.

The description said up to 75 shots and with the .22 it claimed 1250 fps :shock:
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Here's a Gamo "hunter Extreme" at work...

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/air-r ... 3380369762
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You didn't say if you are a certified scuba diver or not and if there is a dive shop in your area. Those were two things I was thinking about. You need to have both to be able to get a scuba tank refilled. Shops around here will not fill a tanks without certification, period. I've been certified since 1974.

That's a good thing to bring up by the way. As far as I know there is no law that requires a person to be a certified diver to be able to get air or buy equipment. I don't know of any shops that will break this self imposed law. this is something they have set up within their industry. Maybe other industries could take note of this as well.

Rusty <><

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I would think that you could get an air tank filled at a welding supply shop as well or a place that would handle compressed tanks air tanks, oxygen, accetelyne etc.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

diving certification

Post by rjohns94 »

I was a navy hardhat diver/combat swimmer. I have been certified since 1977 in civilian world. I do have a dive shop near me.
Mike Johnson,

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have often thought it would be fun to hook up a BB gun to a air compressor - the kind used for air tools - and then shoot it full auto! :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

gatling guns

Post by rjohns94 »

they have bb gatling guns.
Mike Johnson,

Ysabel Kid

Re: gatling guns

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rjohns94 wrote:they have bb gatling guns.
Who? Where? :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

bb gatling gun

Post by rjohns94 »

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=87042443

this auction is ended but you get the idea. a google search for bb gatling gun shows many hits
Mike Johnson,

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I have often thought it would be fun to hook up a BB gun to a air compressor - the kind used for air tools - and then shoot it full auto! :D
They HAD one like that that used one pound cans of freon, in the 1960's (probably why we're all gonna die now from global warming :wink: ).

Newsweek magazine took an advertisement for it where the guy shooting it had an army helmet and a cigar in his mouth looking all tough, and put it in their article on how we needed the gun control act of 1968. They implied it was an ad for a machine gun for sale by mail-order, for $39.95, and since they covered up the part of the advertisement that said it was a "BB gun" and ran off compressed air/freon, the other news media went ballistic over the fact that 'our kids could be buying machine guns - weapons of mass murder - by mail order, for less than fifty dollars!'

You want Gatling-style BB FUN - check this out - http://www.pipersprecisionproducts.com/
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You realize that when I show my son these sites/videos, I am never going to hear the end of it! :shock:

Oh well, I spend half my life in the doghouse anyway... :wink:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I have often thought it would be fun to hook up a BB gun to a air compressor - the kind used for air tools - and then shoot it full auto! :D
Have you ever read the "Conrad Starrgarrd"/"Crosstime Engineer" series?

Sort of a "Conneticut Yankee" story where a Mechanical Engineer gets dropped into pro-mongol-invasion Poland and decides to "save" Poland (He's Polish).

Since he's a mechanical engineer and not a chemist - with no knowledge of Black Powder - he develops compressed-air/steam machine-guns firing iron balls...

Makes a mess of the mongol hordes... :twisted:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Sorry rjohns, I didn't mean to insult you. Thank you for your service to our country. I thought about trying to be a U.S. Navy diver when I was in high school but the recruiter talked me out of it.

When I was a kid we used to go to the boardwalk in Daytona Beach, Fl. Way in the back in one of the arcades they had a shooting gallery that had rows and rows of little ducks moving across in front of you. There were six or seven air powered BB machine guns that had spade grips on them. You'd put in a quarter and get a minute of shooting at the ducks. It was years later that I saw that exact same type of gun in a picture showing how they used them in WWII for gunnery practice.

Rusty <><

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

No insult taken

Post by rjohns94 »

Rusty, You had no idea of my background. For those lurking, it was good info. My research is leading me in two directions on this topic. A PCP rifle is more powerful but alot lounder without an attenuator. The spring air, less powerful but quieter. I may need two guns!!!!
Mike Johnson,

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Personally I find that type of air rifle a pain in the butt. If I have to use an air gun I prefer the single shot break barrel type. My son uses a Webley .177 and it's deadly on rabbits, squirrels and crows. I use a .22 BSA but it does not have the quality of the old BSAs.
If I need low power repeat shots I just load my 9422 with CB longs.
Having to fill up from an air bottle plus the weight of these air guns takes away the usefulness. They are acurate and well made and if they suit your kind of hunting fine but I like a gun I can pick up and fire without any fuss!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Not quite sure how I feel about the "Hog with an Air Rifle" video... :?

IMO, that doesn't show much respect for the animal. Although it was a clean kill, it could have gone terribly wrong.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Not quite sure how I feel about the "Hog with an Air Rifle" video... :?

IMO, that doesn't show much respect for the animal. Although it was a clean kill, it could have gone terribly wrong.
Yes, but still... it does display the capability of the rifle at the hands of a skilled moron... :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Lewis and Clark regularly took deer sized game with their compressed air rifles......You get a 40+ caliber going any speed at all, and it will penetrate pretty darn good......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

That Gamo is a .177...

But yeah. I'm a HUGE fan of the Lewis and Clark Girandoni...

http://www.beemans.net/lewis-assault-rifle.htm
http://www.beemans.net/Austrian%20airguns.htm
http://www.beemans.net/Lewis%20&%20Clark%20Airgun.htm

Seriously High Tech pneumatics... especially for the 1700s.

Oh, BTW, don't EVEN try to moderate your airgun.

http://www.beemans.net/silencers_on_airguns.htm

BATFE will treat you as if you had a suppressed, sterile UZI.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!