Ot- Question For the Contender guys

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Ot- Question For the Contender guys

Post by 2ndovc »

I've wanted a Contender for quite some time and have just never picked one up.

Are the new G2 Contenders better/different enough that I should order a new one

or save a few bucks and pick up one of the originals?

I found an older barrel in .41 Mag that I want on Auction Arms. I've read that
the barrels will work on either model. Any issues that
I should be aware of ?

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ot- Question For the Contender guys

Post by awp101 »

I've had frames from the first and second generations, and IIRC the only real differences are the way you switch the firing pin from centerfire to rimfire and the G2s don't have to be broken open to reset the sear. As I recall on the G1s, if you lowered the hammer, you had to open the action back up to reset the sear. I think...

I'm finding fewer new barrels for the Contender series since the Encore came out though. I shouldn't say fewer new barrels as much as fewer calibers unless you go the custom route.

And no, Encore and Contender barrels won't interchange. The Encore is slightly larger in diameter.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

jason, my pusher has an original frame for sale. I had one some 30 years ago. the advantage over the G2 is that the original can fire rimfire where the G2 can not. Let me know, I almost bought the frame tonight, he had not priced it yet. it won't be that much
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

The big difference is the grip angle. The G-2 action has more room for a better two hand hold.

I own a Second gen. TC action. They have an adjustable trigger sear allen set screw which the third Gen's and the G-2 does not have.
The G-2 is also a stronger action, IIRC.
I see lots of actions at the local Gun Shows lately. $250-$300.
The Actions are guaranteed for life. Or they used to be.
Mine had some issues after 30 years, a few years back. I sent it in and they rebuilt the piece.

If I had to thin the Herd, it would be a toss-up as to what goes Last. My TC collection or my Lever Guns.
My favorite Barrel is the 24" Hornet rifle. This barrel shoots sub-MOA at 100 yards. And is the best small game getter. It sports a 2-6 Burris compact scope/medium ER. The barrel is not a TC barrel. It is a David VanHorn custom on a match schlien? 22 caliber barrel. David was making Rifle barrels before TC, this is one of his first Hornets.
TC can be addictive, beware.
You can never have only one barrel.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have 21 barrels. That's addiction. My frames are the Contender, not the G2 Contender. One has the screw face hammer the other the switch top to change to/from rimfire. It is the Encores that don't "switch" although you can get rimfire barrels for them. The G-2s do switch (have one in the shop). Old barrels fit new guns but not all new barrels go on old guns. This is due to a pin added to the bottom of the barrel lug so that the .375 JDJ and muzzleloader barrels don't go on the old frames. TC has their reasons. The pin is easy to remove. The old frames were guaranteed for life. They are apparently still honoring the guarantee as we had a replaced/repaired (can't remember which) frame come in last week. You do have to open the earlier frame to allow re-cocking. You can dry fire without cocking though. There are old, old barrels with one-piece locking lugs that might not work in later Contenders or G-2s. It is a simple matter to switch out the old one piece bolt for the new two-piece bolt.

I personally prefer the old ones. The available stocks seem more comfortable to me. The design of the G-2 seems to require an ugly as sin butt-stock. Pistol grips wouldn't be an issue. I think the older guns are lighter as well. HOWEVER, they are more likely to stretch IF YOU OVER DO THE LOADS and if that happens you'll end up with a G-2 as a replacement (or so it seems).

For me, it is neat to shoot levergun cartridges from a single-shot with a scope.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

rjohns94 wrote:the advantage over the G2 is that the original can fire rimfire where the G2 can not.
Sure it will. I just checked my carbine and pistol actions and they both have the rimfire setting on the hammer.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

2ndovc wrote:I've wanted a Contender for quite some time and have just never picked one up.

Any issues that
I should be aware of ?

jb 8)
As much as I like my contender it just doesn't get shot much. Recoil is a bit stout with the bigger cartridges like the 35 Rem. I'ld really suggest you find someone that has one and see if you can shoot it a bit before you dive off into them. They're really a 2 handed gun that don't lend themselves well to using 2 hands, and aren't all that handy to try and shoot one handed. Great off of a solid rest of someking tho.
The older style like mine have to be broken open to have the sear reset if you cock it and then for whatever reason don't shoot it. Not much consequence in a range plinking session, but could cost you a shot in a hunting situation.
41 mag barrels have been rumored to be a bit long chambered and have caused some folks a bit of trouble getting them to shoot well.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

sorry, it was the encore that does not. my bad. I will shut up now. :oops:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I have got three Contender frames and my daughter has one, we have fourteen barrels between us, they work well. I have never felt the need to add a G2 to the collection. We have put a temendous number of rounds through them over the years at IHMSA matches, some of them preety stout too and never had any problems other than the usual spring failures. I would go for an old frame in good condition rather than a G2.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

rjohns94 wrote:sorry, it was the encore that does not. my bad. I will shut up now. :oops:
Nah, we all mis-remember from time to time! Some of us (me :mrgreen: ) more than that... :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Nite Ryder
Levergunner

Post by Nite Ryder »

Never have had a G2, so I can't say a thing about them. I have many grip frames, both Contender and Encore, and many barrels from 17 HMR to 45-70. One of my favorites is a 308 Winchester 14" barrel with a muzzle break on it. With the break off and a thread protector in it's place it can be used as a pistol. With the break installed the barrel is over 16" long, so can be used with a butt stock. Several of my frames are fitted with longer barrels and rifles scopes, and were stored in one of my gun cabinets in that configuration, as rifles. One of the few barrels I have without a scope mounted is a 45/410, most of the others have a scope mounted. I value my Thompson's, and wouldn't want to be without them, the accuracy is always a wonderful surprise. No, you can't carry them concealed and whip them out to shoot on a moments notice, but that wiley Coyote out there in the field better watch out, and that Bull Elk better not get much closer. The 375 Winchester, the 308 Winchester and the 45-70 all recoil, but who cares?

NR
If its got a cork,I'll drink it - if it's got a tune,I'll dance to it - if it's got a trigger, I'll shoot it - if it's got hair, I'll ride it.
Yance
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yance »

2ndovc wrote:I've wanted a Contender for quite some time and have just never picked one up.

Are the new G2 Contenders better/different enough that I should order a new one

or save a few bucks and pick up one of the originals?

I found an older barrel in .41 Mag that I want on Auction Arms. I've read that
the barrels will work on either model. Any issues that
I should be aware of ?

jb 8)
I have the G2, finally picked one up after all the hype, not overly impressed. my other 5 are original Contenders ranging from a 5 digit for my one piece bolt Octagon barrels to the later "easy open" pre fire versions.

While the G2 is designed for a longer service life with the reinforcing "flanges" like a baby Encore, there were never intended to be "hot rodded" or shoot rifle type loads other than the original Contender chamberings.

Barrel interchangeability isn't what it was with the early Contenders. Machining tolerances and dimensions vary over time so a bit of careful work with a small diamond stone may be called for to get a good fit and lockup.

For my $$ I'd go with the original Contender and leave the G2 to the guy who just have to have the newest things.<G>

BTW, being the curmudgeon I am it chaps me to hear (and see) folks calling Contenders 1st Gen, 2nd Gen, Gen1, etc. like the .45 COLT. There's Contenders, and there's G2's, and since there ain't no .45 SHORT Colt there shouldn't be any .45 LONG Colt. it's .45 COLT!:lol:
Yance

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".

outawaysforge.wordpress.com

"Gun control" isn't about guns, it's about "control".
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Nite Ryder wrote:Never have had a G2, so I can't say a thing about them. I have many grip frames, both Contender and Encore, and many barrels from 17 HMR to 45-70. One of my favorites is a 308 Winchester 14" barrel with a muzzle break on it. With the break off and a thread protector in it's place it can be used as a pistol. With the break installed the barrel is over 16" long, so can be used with a butt stock. Several of my frames are fitted with longer barrels and rifles scopes, and were stored in one of my gun cabinets in that configuration, as rifles. One of the few barrels I have without a scope mounted is a 45/410, most of the others have a scope mounted. I value my Thompson's, and wouldn't want to be without them, the accuracy is always a wonderful surprise. No, you can't carry them concealed and whip them out to shoot on a moments notice, but that wiley Coyote out there in the field better watch out, and that Bull Elk better not get much closer. The 375 Winchester, the 308 Winchester and the 45-70 all recoil, but who cares?

NR
Whoa Nite Ryder, you need to be careful with that combination. In the BATFE,s eyes your muzzle attachment would have to be welded on permanently to count as a 16+ inch barrel. Just don't want to see someone get in trouble over an unintentional mistake.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

slimster wrote:
Nite Ryder wrote:Never have had a G2, so I can't say a thing about them. I have many grip frames, both Contender and Encore, and many barrels from 17 HMR to 45-70. One of my favorites is a 308 Winchester 14" barrel with a muzzle break on it. With the break off and a thread protector in it's place it can be used as a pistol. With the break installed the barrel is over 16" long, so can be used with a butt stock. Several of my frames are fitted with longer barrels and rifles scopes, and were stored in one of my gun cabinets in that configuration, as rifles. One of the few barrels I have without a scope mounted is a 45/410, most of the others have a scope mounted. I value my Thompson's, and wouldn't want to be without them, the accuracy is always a wonderful surprise. No, you can't carry them concealed and whip them out to shoot on a moments notice, but that wiley Coyote out there in the field better watch out, and that Bull Elk better not get much closer. The 375 Winchester, the 308 Winchester and the 45-70 all recoil, but who cares?

NR
Whoa Nite Ryder, you need to be careful with that combination. In the BATFE,s eyes your muzzle attachment would have to be welded on permanently to count as a 16+ inch barrel. Just don't want to see someone get in trouble over an unintentional mistake.
That is correct. Attachment must be permanent. Epoxy, even brazing isn't considered permanent so it must be welded.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

THANKS for all the responses Guys!!!

I can see a new obsession comming :D
I was up looking at Contender stuff half the night.

Mike PM on it's way on that frame your guy has.

jasonB 8)

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

One thing to be aware of, with Contenders.

AFAIK, Armor-Alloy finished barrels or frames are not interchangeable with blued versions.

I've heard they can be reworked to fit, but have zero direct knowledge of that.

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Yance wrote:BTW, being the curmudgeon I am it chaps me to hear (and see) folks calling Contenders 1st Gen, 2nd Gen, Gen1, etc. like the .45 COLT. There's Contenders, and there's G2's, and since there ain't no .45 SHORT Colt there shouldn't be any .45 LONG Colt. it's .45 COLT!:lol:
True BUT for the non-initiated it's makes it easier to differentiate. I've seen too many sellers at shows and on online auctions proclaim "Contender" when what they have is a G2 or getting told "I don't know" when there's no picture. You and I know the difference but a new shopper might not.

Hobie, when did the BATFEandsometimesY decide silver solder wasn't good enough? It meets the 1100 degree requirement they used to consider as permanent.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I don't know when the decision was made and no longer have the reference to hand but that is what I've been told.
Sincerely,

Hobie

oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

Should not have read this post.

I only have 1 Contender ( had , more later ) and 3 barrels:
35 Rem 14", 357 Max 20" and a custom 356 Win 18" which is my hunting rifle...
356W Shots good, but a little to hot for the contender so I have been looking for a G2 frame...

anyway, Stopped by the local gun shop,: OH, not good a G2..

Well I now have a G2; As NIB/ Manual, lock and extra Fore end (?)..
Problem, it has a 14" ' 17 Mach 2 ' barrel. whatever that is.
Some kind of 22 necked to .17 ?

Not something I can reload for...Have no idea what to do with it.....

350 plus tax, tryed to pass it up, but couldn't
I SHOULD NOT HAVE READ THIS THREAD>>>>

I don't think i'll catch up to Hobie Though,, :D
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

oldmax, the .17 Mach 2 (or HM2) is a .22LR necked down to .17 just as the .17HMR is a .22 Mag necked down to .17.

There's another in between them that is a .22 Stinger hyper-vel round necked down to .17 but I'm having a crs moment and the name escapes me... :?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

oldmax wrote:I don't think i'll catch up to Hobie Though,, :D
I'm not the king of the barrel collectors. One fellow had 143 and that was in 2002, 50 some receivers, and more. He was collecting every variant of every chambering, every side panel engraving, etc. I did want a CCH receiver but managed to stave off the heebie-jeebies with the Ruger NV... Sad to say, that hasn't turned out well either. :roll:
Sincerely,

Hobie

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Hobie wrote:
oldmax wrote:I did want a CCH receiver but managed to stave off the heebie-jeebies with the Ruger NV... Sad to say, that hasn't turned out well either. :roll:
[Ricky Ricardo]Wha'hoppen?[/Ricky Ricardo]

143 barrels! WOW! :shock:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hobie wrote:
slimster wrote: Whoa Nite Ryder, you need to be careful with that combination. In the BATFE,s eyes your muzzle attachment would have to be welded on permanently to count as a 16+ inch barrel. Just don't want to see someone get in trouble over an unintentional mistake.
That is correct. Attachment must be permanent. Epoxy, even brazing isn't considered permanent so it must be welded.
I am fortunate enough to have a Contender and an Encore, and due to all this ATF stuff, decided early on that since the Encore was stronger, and the Contender lighter, I'd get ALL my 'rifle' barrels for the Encore, and ALL my 'handgun' barrels for the Contender. It clears up any 'issues' and I don't really want a 'handgun' in the chamberings too stout for a Contender, anyway. If I want a .460 S&W, I'll get a 20" and shoot it in the Encore with a shoulder stock, so it's all nice and legal.

(...at least until the Omaniacs ban everything... :evil: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

My " BLACK RIFLE " Contender, I put it in my backpack to climb the mountain deer Hunting...

Nite Ryder
Levergunner

Post by Nite Ryder »

slimster wrote:

NR
Sounds like maybe I'd better forget about using it as a rifle. 308 sure makes a neat pistol. I thought the rules for Thompson were different, I know all of the actions are sold as pistol actions. I will call ATF and have a discussion about these rules.

NR
If its got a cork,I'll drink it - if it's got a tune,I'll dance to it - if it's got a trigger, I'll shoot it - if it's got hair, I'll ride it.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

The Contender is a sore spot with the BATFE. It took a court case some years ago to convince them keeping a pistol barrel and carbine frame in the same area did NOT constitue an SBR or INTENTION of creating an SBR.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Well after some horse trading I have Contender and several barrels on the way. :D
I'll ge some photos up when it al gets here. I haveto track down my FFL guy.
He's retired so sometimes it takes a few days.
So far all pistol length barrels but there's a couple rifle barrels I have my eye on.

Hobie thanks for the link I missed it somehow. I really like the sound of that .41 Mag Bulllberry barrel.

Oldmax, I like that folding stock. I've got one on the way too.

This is goig to be FUN!

jb

oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

Good show... I Like mine for hunting, easy carry, extremely accurate Hunting gun.

The Pistol Grip stock ( for me ) makes very accurate off hand shooting.
And The TC trigger, well, when your mind says shoot, the bullets gone.
A few times I have thought, " Bad Shot " When in fact , Good shot.
I found some old 35 rem reloads, think I'll try some with my G2 frame and old barrel.
Keep us posted...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

2ndovc wrote:Well after some horse trading I have Contender and several barrels on the way. :D
I'll ge some photos up when it al gets here. I haveto track down my FFL guy.
He's retired so sometimes it takes a few days.
So far all pistol length barrels but there's a couple rifle barrels I have my eye on.

Hobie thanks for the link I missed it somehow. I really like the sound of that .41 Mag Bulllberry barrel.

Oldmax, I like that folding stock. I've got one on the way too.

This is goig to be FUN!

jb
I also have a Choate folder for my Contenders. PERFECT for the 10mm Auto short barrel! Pretty good for the other short (i.e 16") barrels.
Sincerely,

Hobie

bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

That Choate folding stock is neat. I bought one many years ago when they first came out. I used it on my 45-70 barrel. Talk about a cannon. One bad thing regarding the Contenders is that they can get addictive in regards to barrels and shooting. Right now I am playing around with a 6.5mm TCU in the hopes of taking out a coyote in the next few weeks until the season closes. After that I will take it to Connecticut and see if I can take out some coyotes there.