30-30 report from deer cull -

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

30-30 report from deer cull -

Post by 86er »

10 fallow deer were killed today with a 30-30. Tried different ammo. Shots out to 100 yards, none further.

150 gr Remingtons accounted for 5 deer. 4 went down immediately with a behind the front leg shot. 1 into the shoulder shot resulted in the deer running 50 yards and standing to be shot again behind the front leg. 3 out of 6 shots completely passed through the deer.

170 gr Federal accounted for 5 deer. 1 into the shoulder shot dropped the deer right there, about 90 yards out. 1 into the shoulder shot caused the deer to buckle - then dash 25 yards and pile up. She rolled around and continued to try to get up but another shoulder shot ended that quickly. 3 behind the front leg shots all resulted in deer making a mad dash for an average of 60 yards. They each tipped over and died shortly thereafter without need for another shot. All 6 shots completely passed through the deer.

Conclusions (based on this limited experience):

Out to 100 yards on deer less than 150 pounds the 150 gr Remington bullets delivered a dramatic wound to deer shot through the lungs.

Under the same conditions, the 170 gr Federals consistently exited the deer but the impact affect was not as dramatic. However, for a shoulder shot the 170's made a bigger wound channel and broke more bone/displaced more cartilage. 170's made a little better blood trail due to the two holes per deer. We didn't have to track any since they were shot in pretty open terrain, and they could be watched from shot to drop.

Just FYI for those that may be curious. Nothing too significant or exciting.

www.TARSPORTING.com
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thank you sir that is alot of cleaning out work so thanks for taking the time to report.
That pip squeek 30/30 just won,t give up and die will it :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 30-30 report from deer cull -

Post by Tycer »

86er wrote:Just FYI for those that may be curious. Nothing too significant or exciting.

www.TARSPORTING.com
Significant for me. My 207 grain .357 hardcasts had the same effect as the 170s.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Good to know.

I picked up 5 boxes of Rem. 150's at the end of deer season last yr.
at Wally World. They were clearing them out for like $6 something a box
if I remember right.

Glade I didnt pass that up. :wink:
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

30-30

Post by LeverBob »

Typical for the 30WCF...simply outstanding performance. 30-30...too tough to die. 8)

LeverBob
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thanks for the post, very interesting! I seem to always load up the 170gr bullets, better try a load for the 150's and see how they shoot in my guns.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Interesting report. It kind of confirms what I had been thinking. 170s are a tougher bullet and 150s seem to be about ideal for deer sized animals.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

" Nothing too significant or exciting. "

Thats the 30-30 in a nut shell.
Like the guy that shows up for work everyday, puts in his 8hrs and goes home.
Just wish I had the time to be the trigger man over there in Pa.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

86er, that's an outstanding report. Thanks.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

TedH wrote:Interesting report. It kind of confirms what I had been thinking. 170s are a tougher bullet and 150s seem to be about ideal for deer sized animals.
Amen Ted, I usually recommend 150s for the Axis Deer here and 170s for Wild Boar especially the big'uns over 250 lbs.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I take it you didn't try for a hip to opposite shoulder shot. The 170s will often have complete pass throughs there as well, but, the deer never moves far... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Hobie wrote:I take it you didn't try for a hip to opposite shoulder shot. The 170s will often have complete pass throughs there as well, but, the deer never moves far... :wink:
They only go about 40yds when you hit them in the liver with a 170gr from 10ft away. :shock:
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Typical of the performance I've seen for decades. The 150 in the lungs is devastating. The 170 gives somewhat superior penetration. In any case, in nearly 100 deer I've killed thru the years with the .30-30, I've never lost one, regardless of which bullet was used.
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

Just curious, how did meat damage between the 150 gr Remingtons and the 170 gr. Federals compare?
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Excellent information -- thanks very much for sharing it!!

Out of curiosity, do you have any data on 170 gr. Sierra FN's or 130 gr.
Speer FN's in .30-30 on deer?

Thanks,
John
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

There wasn't much meat damage regardless of cartridge. The lung shots ruined a few ribs, that's all. Even the shoulder shots put a .30 hole in one side and if they exited the hole was about .50.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

This is why I recommend that folks shoot both in their guns, find out which one shoots better, and just shoot it. Quit worrying about the details and go kill something.

Thanks for the report.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Even though this is a 4 year old post, it is very interesting info ! Thanks Joe.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Your results match mine through the years. Either load will work -- they just get the same job done a little differently.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Interesting post, thanks for taking the time.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by woods-walker »

Bigahh

I started reading at the top and came across several names from the past. First thought was glad these guy's are back. You gave me a wakeup call.

Good info in any event.