New Win. 94 clone from Chaparral Arms

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

New Win. 94 clone from Chaparral Arms

Post by kaschi »

Just ran across this info that is bound to make people happy. Supposedly, Chaparral is making a Winchester 94 clone. That's all I know at this point. Is this the same company that has an 1886 in the works?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: New Win. 94 clone from Chaparral Arms

Post by J Miller »

I wanna see some pictures of this. If it's really a Mdl 94 and not a buggered up AE with rebounder and safeties I just might be interested. That is if the price is reasonable.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Chaparral is the outfit that makes one of the replicas of the 1876 Winchester - Uberti also does one. The 1886 replica is being produced by Chiappa. I think I spelled that right! :roll:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Wasn't there a thread going the other day about the low quality of Chaparral guns? Uberti would be better.
ED
Yer never too old
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

With so many real 94's in circulation, I wouldn't think this is such a good idea... I personally wouldn't buy an Italian version when I can get a used Winchester for less - most likely.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

The only company's I would trust to make a copy is Uberti or Pedesoli. and for what they are going to have to charge for a new one there are lots of original 94's around.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Yeah, but millions of the new Winchester 94s around are the crappy AE models with all their lawyered up baggage. And although there are many of the earlier ones out there they are not new and many are very used.
Some folks would like to buy a new gun now and then.

Considering what Uberti and the others have done for us American shooters I'll reserve judgment until I actually get to see one.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Are pre 64 Winchesters that hard to find where you are? I would just buy the real thing. Most of the imports are around the same price as a good shooter pre 64, 450-750, that I find. Now 92s are different. They start much higher.
"That'll Be The Day"
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

If they are gonna put out a clone of the pre war 94's with some options I'd be in.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

http://www.chaparralarms.com/news.htm

"Late 2008

1894 Winchester (44RMag. - 44/40 WCF - 45 Colt - 30/30 WCF - .410 Ga.)

New model 1878 Double barrel, external hammer, shotgun"

...althogh this one gets me to wonderin':

"at IWA Show Germany

Lever Action cal. 22 LR Model "Youngboy" "

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

rangerider7 wrote:Are pre 64 Winchesters that hard to find where you are? I would just buy the real thing. Most of the imports are around the same price as a good shooter pre 64, 450-750, that I find. Now 92s are different. They start much higher.
I've seen two pre 64s Win 94s since I've been in IL and I bought one of them. They are scarce here. Even the new AE models are few and far between in this part of the world.
There is one gun store near me that has Marlins, Rossis, Henrys, Uberti copies, and once in a while a new Winchester. I've yet to see a pre-64 in that shop.
The other big store in this area has mostly bolt actions, black guns, and a few measly lever guns. Most of which are Marlins. This is where I saw the two pre-64s and bought the one I have. They were on consignment from an estate sale.

Joe
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

I've got a Model 94 with Winchester stamped on it. It's chambered in 30-30 Winchester and it doesn't have any safety on it any where (kinda scares me). The stocks are walnut and the steel is shinny blue. It also seems awful short. Heck, the barrel's only a tad over 16 inches long. And the last time I took it shooting, the darn thing ejected shell casings right out the top, which is sort of irritating if you ask me. After all this talk, I'm not sure if this things any good or not. Whadda ya think? I know J Miller wouldn't want it. Hmmm...
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

While there are plenty of pre-war and piles of pre-'64 '94s out this way, everyone thinks that the darned things are GOLD. I looked at various clunker/junker, beater/ guns at last week's show and could only shake my head in sad amazement. What a bunch of garbage, and all priced at $400 and way up. I may be behind the times, but this is out of hand. I couldn't contain myself and told the "dealers" that the junk on their tables wasn't worth a hundred bucks, let alone the gawdawful prices they wanted. One fella had a beat up, no finish, cracked and hillbilly "repaired" stock, black bore, .33WCF 1886 that he was wanting $2499 for. Holy stuff!! I wouldn't have given $500 for that thing. That same gun was floating around a few years back, with a $600. tag on it and nobody was buying it then. He'll have that thing forever. Maybe those Chaparral guns won't be so bad after all. :?
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Idiot wrote:I've got a Model 94 with Winchester stamped on it. It's chambered in 30-30 Winchester and it doesn't have any safety on it any where (kinda scares me). The stocks are walnut and the steel is shinny blue. It also seems awful short. Heck, the barrel's only a tad over 16 inches long. And the last time I took it shooting, the darn thing ejected shell casings right out the top, which is sort of irritating if you ask me. After all this talk, I'm not sure if this things any good or not. Whadda ya think? I know J Miller wouldn't want it. Hmmm...
Yeah, you're right, I wouldn't want it ....... I already got three of 'em. But if it causes you any trouble I could be coerced into adopting it :twisted:

Joe
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

J Miller wrote:
Idiot wrote:I've got a Model 94 with Winchester stamped on it. It's chambered in 30-30 Winchester and it doesn't have any safety on it any where (kinda scares me). The stocks are walnut and the steel is shinny blue. It also seems awful short. Heck, the barrel's only a tad over 16 inches long. And the last time I took it shooting, the darn thing ejected shell casings right out the top, which is sort of irritating if you ask me. After all this talk, I'm not sure if this things any good or not. Whadda ya think? I know J Miller wouldn't want it. Hmmm...
Yeah, you're right, I wouldn't want it ....... I already got three of 'em. But if it causes you any trouble I could be coerced into adopting it :twisted:

Joe
Three! :o When I've only got one! And some on this board don't have any! Obama would frown on your riches. :x Perhaps you could be fair and share one with me and then we'd we equal - "and what a wonderful world it would be." :D
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Now if they were to chamber them in 32-40, 25-35, or 38-55 I would be intrested buying a couple. I too would prefer having winchester 94's in those calibers but my pockets are not that deep, so I will settle for Italian shooters for 600-800 a piece if they ever chamber them in those calibers.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Hopefully, the makers(plug in names here) that make replicas of leverguns(plug in models/calibers here) will put the effort into turning out a good quality product instead of half-assing it, like so many have done in the past. What a waste of everyone's energy, money and time on both manufacturer and consumer end. It still blows my mind that no one here in the USA has not already gotten into the levergun making scene. US Firearms comes to mind as a company that should do it. Maybe they still will.
As an afterthought, I've suggested the following before but I'll suggest it again: All we really need is someone to make complete Winchester 86,92,94 and 95 actions. Then it would be a matter of building up the rifles or carbines to our liking. Anyone serious about wanting one would do it.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

+1. maybe a 35 rem.,338 marlin would draw some interest. and make it in the old saddle ring carbine configureration. :D
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

Hagler wrote:http://www.chaparralarms.com/news.htm

...althogh this one gets me to wonderin':

"at IWA Show Germany

Lever Action cal. 22 LR Model "Youngboy" "
The Canadian Chaparral importer told me that this is oing to be based on the Winchester 9422. When I read about them first I was hoping they'd be 22LR Winchester model 1873's, but no such luck.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Idiot, well, each of my 94s is different. So all though I three total, I don't have two of any version. Soooooo I'll hang on to them for now. However I'll jot your name down in my will.
Oh, and no disrespect meant, but I don't give a rats butt what Obama thinks of my wealth. :evil:

If these Chaparral Arms 94s are top eject, have no additional safeties, are built to original 94 blue prints and specs, then I AM interested in the 30-30 and .45 Colt version and maybe the 44-40.

As for the 410 that's just a waste of raw materials in my NSHO.

Considering the current ANTI-Constitution administration, the courts ignoring the law and the SCOTUS rulings, I doubt any American manufacturer would bring out a version without safeties or rebounding hammers.

So any hope we might have in getting a real Model 94 rests with the Italian manufacturers. Just like the 1860 Henrys, 1866, 1873, 1876, 1886, 1887, and 92 Winchester copies.

Joe
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

J Miller wrote:There is one gun store near me that has Marlins, Rossis, Henrys, Uberti copies, and once in a while a new Winchester.
Where's that? Pekin Gun usually has various leverguns, but I haven't visited them since I moved back to the area. Simpson's in Galesburg had many originals, but I don't recall if they had many replicas. I'll visit both come spring. I don't recall ever seeing a Henry at either.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

KWK wrote:
J Miller wrote:There is one gun store near me that has Marlins, Rossis, Henrys, Uberti copies, and once in a while a new Winchester.
Where's that? Pekin Gun usually has various leverguns, but I haven't visited them since I moved back to the area. Simpson's in Galesburg had many originals, but I don't recall if they had many replicas. I'll visit both come spring. I don't recall ever seeing a Henry at either.
KWK,

That would be Birds N Brooks on 6th ST here in Springfield.

Joe
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Does anyone care to speak --errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr -- type to the quality of Chaparral Arms products?
ED
Yer never too old
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ed,

Maybe I forgot how to make 2+1=5, but it seems to me that after the first batch of guns came in many if not most reports were positive.
I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. If they are trash, then so be it. If they are good, then "Let's go shootin boys!"

Joe
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Thanks Joe. I imagine that if you did get a bad one that you or a good smith could bring it into shape.
ED
Yer never too old
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I don't know why the levergun manufacturers have their panties in a knot over rebounding hammers and safties. Seriously, lowering the hammer on a Colt SAA or a USFA revolver follows the same principle as lowering the hammer on a lever rifle and there are no extra safties to manipulate on these. Possibly, some retard in an empty suit has deemed the levergun worthy of being equipped with these worthless gadgets.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Modoc ED wrote:Does anyone care to speak --errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr -- type to the quality of Chaparral Arms products?
I will. I have seen a few that were excellent, with everything done just right. I have also seen a few that were substandard, and needed work to make them run right. I personally would not buy one without first getting to handle the rifle and work the action, unless it came from someone whom I trust, or was ordered through Davidson's.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have read many posts from really P-O'ed owners of Chaparrels rifles. and a few satisfied owners. but before I would give them a nickle I will read what Steve has to say about them. I hope I'm wrong,but I doubt they would get it right.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

J Miller wrote:That would be Birds N Brooks on 6th ST here in Springfield.
Thanks, Joe. I've copied that and will visit there next time I'm in Springfield. The wife and I have wanted to visit the Dana House for some time, so I'll have no trouble getting her to come along. grrrrrrr -- I see the state closed the house to appear to be "doing something"about the deficit. Oh, well, I can take the kiddies down to the state capitol to see where all the corruption percolates. The Old Capitol is still a classy building to see. Karl
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

KWK wrote:
J Miller wrote:That would be Birds N Brooks on 6th ST here in Springfield.
Thanks, Joe. I've copied that and will visit there next time I'm in Springfield. The wife and I have wanted to visit the Dana House for some time, so I'll have no trouble getting her to come along. grrrrrrr -- I see the state closed the house to appear to be "doing something"about the deficit. Oh, well, I can take the kiddies down to the state capitol to see where all the corruption percolates. The Old Capitol is still a classy building to see. Karl
Now that our "new" governor is back in Spfld, the corruption will flow back downhill instead of pooling up like a puss filled boil in Chicago.

I have pictures of my mom sitting on the steps of the old State capitol before they added the middle story. They've now removed the middle story and restored it to what it was.

Karl, next time you're in SPFLD send me an email. Perhaps we could meet up somewhere and say Hi.
Oh, that goes for anybody else too.

Joe
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Thanks for the offer, Joe. I doubt we'll be down to Springfield before summer. There used to be a small brewery southeast -- I recall -- of the downtown, more or less in the direction of the Dana house. It's been at least 10 years since I was in Springfield, so it may be long gone. Karl