OT: H&K 91 clone PTR 91

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

OT: H&K 91 clone PTR 91

Post by MikeS. »

I'm being offered a good deal on this rifle with 6 20 rnd mags. It is a very heavy rifle. Kinda sorta looks like a FAL? Ya'all have any information on this rifle?

http://www.gunblast.com/images/RKCampbe ... ses/02.jpg
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
raven5
Levergunner

Re: OT: H&K 91 clone PTR 91

Post by raven5 »

Nice rifles. One of the great combat rifles actually. Mags are pretty cheap ($3-$5 each or so) since so many were produced. Basically a clone (with some improvements) of the HK 91 rifle, which is a clone of the Spanish CETME rifle before it.

I'm currently deciding on a 'combat' rifle in .308 and haven't narrowed it down yet. Really like the FAL style, but the inherent accuracy leaves much to be desired, even for a combat rifle. The HK G3 and CETME (HK 91 is civilian version, but essentially same rifle) are more accurate on average, but not tack drivers either. Sights aren't too bad though.

The PTR 91, as you know, is not gas operated but recoil operated. The bolt is roller locked to delay opening. Pretty neat concept actually. The chamber, if you didn't know it, is fluted to help/aid the extraction since gas isn't used. This does tend to be pretty rough on brass, so if you intend to reload your brass you might want to pass on this one and stick to a M1A/M14 style, AR style, or FAL.

If the price is right, and I'd say definitely under $1000, and you like it then go for it. They are nice rifles and very reliable. You can get mags dirt cheap, although .308 ammo isn't.
The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
- Samuel Adams, during Massachusetts' U.S. Constitution ratification convention, (1788)
Scrateshooter
Levergunner

Post by Scrateshooter »

MikeS. wrote:I'm being offered a good deal on this rifle with 6 20 rnd mags. It is a very heavy rifle. Kinda sorta looks like a FAL? Ya'all have any information on this rifle?

http://www.gunblast.com/images/RKCampbe ... ses/02.jpg
I used to have one, they are a robust rifle but I would shoot one first. It was like shooting a Mike Tyson rifle. I prefer the M14 platform. If you get it I have a gaggle of HK mags I will let you have cheap.
"Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand." Revelation 1:3
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Define "good deal". I've had a CETME and an FAL. I still have the FAL if that tells you anything.:wink:

The PTR is about as close as you can get to a G3 minus the happy switch unless you drop the big bucks on an HK91. The PTR is made on HK machinery that was sold to the company making the PTR IIRC.

The FAL is gas operated vs the roller locked HK design (delayed blowback if you will) and the FAL has a softer recoil IMO.

What's REALLY fun is doing a mag dump on FA through a 91. :mrgreen: One of the guys in our local shooting group has a HK91 with a pre-86 FA trigger pack by whomever was/is the big name in HK conversions. It's been so long since I fooled with Hk stuff I've forgotten the name... :?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

raven5 gave a good run down for you. I have a H&K 91. I can get it to shoot 1 MOA with hand-loads and scope, The brass is easily reloaded with my rifle, but I have seen very mangled brass from PTR's and others. Some people swear by an add on Port Buffer.
http://www.robertrtg.com/pofport_carry.html
I also have a FAL DSA SA58 as far as recoil they feel about the same to me.

Here is what my reloads look like.

The best thing about these rifles, other than tough as nails, is that you can swap parts very easily, go from a dedicated long range rifle to a compact battle rifle.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Its a pretty good deal considering all of the mass purchasing of EBR's. I have a PTR 91, M1A and FAL. The M1A is at the top of my list. Then comes the FAL. The HK 91 design is bulky in my opinion and the hump on the stock likes to bite my face once in awhile. Since it does have the fluted chamber the brass is pretty much junk after you pull the trigger. Mine also throws the brass around 20yds or so. Great design, but it takes some getting use to.

By the way, my FAL will hold a 1.5in group at 100yds with factory LC :)
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Can I use steel case ammo in this?

Thanks for all the info guys.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.