Old Tyme Gun Etiquette Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Old Tyme Gun Etiquette Question

Post by CowboyTutt »

I'm going to settle in and watch Apaloosa tonight with Ed Harris. My friend tells me that Viggo Mortensen walks around town with the shotgun breech open to show it is not loaded. Did people actually do that? Never seen that before.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Old Tyme Gun Etiquette Question

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I dont remember him walking around with his 8 ga...open...
unless he was reloading!
I better watch it again...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Nope. Guns were all loaded. Unloaded guns are worthless. Yep, that's how it was, no doubt...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Opening scene with the city counsel when they sign the "paperwork". Viggo has the breech open and stylishly draped over his wrist. However, it is loaded, and as they leave to go confront the outlaws in the bar, he closes it with a resounding click. Very cool! :lol:

Hobie, I would agree with you, which is why I asked the question!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

An unloaded gun is just a club.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Over here I see TV period dramas where D/B shotguns are often carried open yet all the old time photo's of gamekeepers and gentry from the nineteenth century and early twentieth century guns are always carried closed. This fashion of carrying guns broken came about over here when so many non shooters took up clay bustin' and for safety's sake everyone had to prove their gun was unloaded.

A D/B shotgun is made to be opened only for loading and unloading, carrying the gun broke for long periods of time is more likely to cause wear on the hinge pin.

Time was when you could trust fellow shooters to be safe, not anymore, too many morons in the gene pool.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

game keeper wrote: Time was when you could trust fellow shooters to be safe, not anymore, too many morons in the gene pool.
Truer words were never spoken! Problem is, they seem to be breeding faster than us as well! :shock: