Mossberg 464 -- My voice is joining the BAD NEWS choir

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Mossberg 464 -- My voice is joining the BAD NEWS choir

Post by handyrandyrc »

I got my Mossberg 464 back from the repair facility today. Checked the serial number to make sure it was the one I sent out -- yup! Attention turned to the extractor -- it looked nearly the same as the one I sent in! In fact, so MUCH like the one I sent in, that I believe it was the VERY broken/bent extractor pictured in my original thread. However, it looks like someone had perhaps bent it back into place...

GREAT.

I put a couple of rounds in the tube to cycle, and I gave it a swing. Locked up perfectly, racheted the lever back, then forward, and realized IT'S DOUBLE FEEDING! What?!? I peered down at the 'fixed' extractor, to find the tip COMPLETELY MISSING NOW. I've broken it clean off. ONE LOUSY ROUND chambered and the extractor tip busted right off clean.

So -- here are the details. Bent the extractor within a handful of rounds out of the box, to where it would not extract anymore. Seemed the extractor was CHEAP and would give me trouble. After hearing reports of the same, I decided it best to send back to Mossberg for repair. I spent 27 dollars of my own cash to send/insure it on 10 Dec 2008.

Today is 14 Jan 2009 -- it has been gone for 34 days. Albiet, some of that time was over the holidays, so perhaps that could be expected. But to send it back, unfixed!?! No packing slip was enclosed. I was hoping to see a work order of some type, to show what had been done, but nothing. A technician bent my flimsy extractor tip back into place, something I COULD HAVE DONE with needle-nosed pliers, and sent it back.

I could not confirm whether it had been received for nearly 10 days after I sent it. If you call Mossberg tech line, you'll get one of a few things: Busy signal (not good), 20-30 minutes on hold (not good), and someone who is in a hurry to get you off the phone (not good). They will not follow up with a phone call if you leave a message. Your e-mail will go unanswered. I am not kidding, I tried all of the methods of contact.

I finally called after it had been gone 20+ days, to see if it had been worked on. Nobody could tell if anything had been done. I was told I would receive a call to let me know status of the work, and when it might ship.

After 24+ days, and not receiving the promised status call, I inquired again. I sat on the phone for 20 minutes, and got someone who said they would find it. I waited for 15 minutes to have them return, and tell me that it would be shipped out 'tomorrow'. I was told I'd receive a call to give me tracking information.

2 days later, after not hearing back, I called again. I waited my 20 minutes. I got a person who said they would find out what my tracking number was. They returned after 15 minutes to tell me they would call back with the number. I received a call back this time (phew!) with the tracking number.

Tracking number showed it had been printed on 7 Jan 2009. However, the package was not even scanned by FedEx until 10-Jan 2009. My promised ship date slipped and passed, and I finally saw it hit the road and get on its way. It arrived this evening, and I was so excited to go and give it a try.

No dice.

It's like buying a car, but the keys they give you are made of super-thin glass. The first time you go to start the car, the glass key breaks off in the ignition. The factory needs you to send everything back to have it repaired, AT YOUR SHIPPING COST. After a month of waiting, the car comes back, and you realize that the tech has glued the broken glass key back together. WHAT?!?!?! Obviously, it breaks again when you try to start it.

I HAVE HAD A RIFLE NOW SINCE 5 DEC 2008 that will not function. Mossberg, are you guys listening? If you weren't off at the SHOT Show, Mr. Mossberg, I'd be on the phone with you tomorrow, but I realize there isn't a chance in hell I'll find you during that. You'll probably be announcing new models tomorrow to the public.

Thanks guys -- have a laugh at me, I know I gave others a hard time about their problems. I really wanted to give these guys an honest chance. I have had a Kel Tec pistol that I went through this same rig-a-ma-roll with a couple of years ago, fixed, come back, breaks in a few rounds, etc. I got rid of it, and swore I'd never buy another Kel Tec. WHY DO I ALWAYS PICK THE LEMONS?!?
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Re: Mossberg 464 -- My voice is joining the BAD NEWS choir

Post by brucew44guns »

I feel for you, a rifle like that was not just "chump" change. Nothing worse than a lemon in a car, or anything else including guns. I got a NIB Marlin 94 in 44 mag about a year ago, my son-in-law got one too from the same Gunbroker dealer at the same time. His was perfect and flawless, mine was looking like some 6 year old had done the work of fitting the butt stock on it. There was a 3/16 gap from the wood to the rear of he reciever, and it was so loose and crazy feeling just to pick it up you feared the butt breaking off. I called Marlin, and in 2 days I had a label that was allready paid to ship it back to them. I got it back to my house almost immediately, the wood was all new stuff, including forearm that matches the rear perfectly. It was only 7 or 8 days total from the time of the call. They must have fixed it, and shipped it back the same day they recieved it. I've bought 3 or 4 Marlins since, they impressed me with the notion they wanted my business.

If I was you, I'd contact Mr. Mossberg, and demand that they refund your shipping and send you a new rifle.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

+1 to what Bruce said. Hate to hear this happening and hope this turns around quick for you.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That really stinks. Keep after them till you get some satisfaction, you know the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
NRA Life Member
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

handyrandyrc wrote:I have had a Kel Tec pistol that I went through this same rig-a-ma-roll with a couple of years ago, fixed, come back, breaks in a few rounds, etc. I got rid of it, and swore I'd never buy another Kel Tec. WHY DO I ALWAYS PICK THE LEMONS?!?
I hate that for ya. I've put 7-800 rounds through my P3AT without problem.

Good luck with the Mossybrick. Hopefully they'll swap you out for a stack of cash.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I was going to bandsaw mine in pieces and send it to the prez of mossberg, but I couldn't bring any guns into work. I turned it into a tomato stake. Now the tomatoes are complaining!
Actually, they eventually sent me a new rifle. I sold it NIB for 1/2 of what I paid for it with full details of my problems with the old one. The fellow seemed willing to take a chance for that price..
I spent a bunch of time on the phone as well, and learned nothing. I'll never buy another mossberg and will pass on my experience to anyone that asks!

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

I may see if I can get them to send out an extractor (or two or three!) at no cost. Perhaps I can change it out myself...
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

That is enough to keep me away from Mossberg. I have heard many more complaints than praise (gun rags excluded). :o
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

That is enough to keep me away from Mossberg. I have heard many more complaints than praise (gun rags excluded).
Yup, that sums it up for me!!!! I was underwhelmed at the SHOTSHOW 08, but this just re-affirms my opinion!!!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I still say a beater Marlin or Wrenchester is the best shooting deal out there.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Sad to hear that Mossberg's customer relations are the same quality as the products.Keep on them and increase the visabilty of your disatisfaction(posting,word of mouth etc.)Don't let this incident sour you on all leverguns in general.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

The first time I saw one of these I was completely unimpressed. I have read or seen nothing since to change my mind.

Even JT gave this thing a good review, how can that be?

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... tBody;col1
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I hope someone from MOSSBERG actually reads the comments on their products found on this Leverguns Forum.
I certainly won't buy another MOSSBERG until these issues are sorted out.

I know that Anthony Imperato President of Henry Repeating Arms reads the Henry Forum on rimfirecentral. So he at least gets a picture of what his customers think, good or bad.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

Okay, got off the phone with Mossberg. Didn't have a 20-minute wait -- to be fair, this time I only waited 5. :)

Before I said anything else, I asked to hear what work was done on the rifle. I told them there was no manifest included to indicate anything was done. I was told that the extractor was replaced, as well as the carrier (I was having feed issues as well).

I guess I broke a brand new extractor with one round.

I told them what happened, and she apologized -- she did feel bad. I asked if she would ship me another one, and I would replace it myself.

Pictorial guide on Mossberg extractor replacement will be forthcoming. I'll document everything.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

brucew44guns wrote: <SNIP>

If I was you, I'd contact Mr. Mossberg, and demand that they refund your shipping and send you a new rifle.
Sorry but i am unable to resist - "I TOLD YOU SO" - since I was the only one named as "trashing" the gun.

Second, IMHO having Mossberg send me another 464 lemon would be at the bottom of my wish list !!! I'm stuck with the one I have since, not only would I not sell it for any price - I won't even give it away 'cause I know what I'd think of anyone who would provide me with such junk - even free - that's a grudge that would be held for lifetime.

:twisted:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

Last time I second guess a wise old feller. ;)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds to me that there are some issues with the Mossberg 464. I am going to get a .30-30 soon, and based on what I have been hearing lately, I am going to get a Marlin. My wife has an old 336 which is more reliable than one could ask for, and my Guide Gun seems good so far. I did get a lemon one time when I bought a Llama pistol. Still have it as I just can't bear the thought of saddling someone else with the problem.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost