OT - Can anyone help me ID this rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Can anyone help me ID this rifle

Post by kimwcook »

I saw a rifle today that is an old single shot, now chambered in 45-70 Gov. It is marked Gibbs, Bristol, England on the left side of the receiver and Farquharson Patent #? (don't recall the patent #). It has a falling block breech like a sharps, and it uses a lever under the trigger guard that bends to the right and has a catch on it so it locks to the bottom of the guard. There's an external lever on the right side that seems like it's connected to the internal hammer, possibly some type of external way of dropping the internal hammer. There's a piece missing on the right side of the receiver as I can clearly see internal threads, so something used to go there.

I'll try to post a pic of one that looks really close, but I can't tell because of there only being one picture. This advertisement says it's a George Gibbs Farquharson Metford patent falling block rifle.

Any information would definitely help. The guy who has the gun on commission there says if he doesn't sell it soon he'll take it home. Of course he says it's a tack driver (maybe, maybe not). It has definitely been rebarreled to a heavy round bbl. there's no rear sight, just a blank on the bbl. and there's a Lyman tang sight on it. He said he bought it off an old guy that couldn't shoot anymore and he had it setup the way it is. The forend wood has obviously been replaced, but the rear appears to be original. It's dark with checkering on the wrist. There's a checked metal buttplate.

This is the description of the picture I found on the net. It's awfully close. I'll work on getting a picture.

GEORGE GIBBS. A .461 GIBBS FARQUHARSON METFORD PATENT FALLING BLOCK RIFLE 33-inch barrel with adjustable ladder rearsight, graduated to 10, Metford patent rifling, the plain frame with patent use number 132, the full length military stock with two barrel bands and provision for a ram rod, chequered fore part and straight hand, steel buttplate, black powder proof, worn to a brown patina overall 14-inch pull, 8lb. 10oz. £1000-2000

Maybe Nath, Game Keeper or Perry Owens will know what it is.

Here's the best I can do for the pic; http://www.thomasdelmar.com/Catalogues/as280606/219.jpg
Last edited by kimwcook on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Old Law Dawg
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Can anyone help me ID this rifle

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My guess is that " it's a George Gibbs Farquharson Metford patent falling block rifle".
Would be neat to own!!! :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Chuck, you're feeling good tonight aren't ya. :evil:
Old Law Dawg
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Kim,
I lusted after a Ruger #1 for a long time before I got one. Some of the reading I did about them claimed that the #1 was Bill Ruger's very own and loved "baby." He patterned it after the British Farquharson rifles. I'd say that would be one of them. They do look similar.
Quite an odd thing I'd say. I think a Ruger #1 in .45-70 might be more shootable.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks for the thought Rusty, but I've already got a nice Shiloh in 45-70. So I really don't need another one. I just thought it appeared to be fairly old and quite interesting given it's quirky looking levers and such.
Old Law Dawg
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Yes, it is a Gibbs Farquharson Metford of the early military style produced from 1877 onwards. Farquharson patented the action in 1872 and sold an interest in the patent to George Gibbs, a well known Bristol gunmaker. Gibbs used Metford rifled barrels. They were produced in many calibres but the best known is 0.461. Frederick Selous, the English explorer, hunter and friend of Teddy Roosevelt, used one chambered in .505 Gibbs on dangerous African game.
It is said that Bill Ruger took the design and improved it for the Ruger #1.
I have seen early examples in .461 sell for $2000-3000 over here in the UK, dependent on condition.Rechambering it to 45-70 has devalued it considerably - has it been rebored or rebarreled? There should be some proof marks on the barrel that would give a clue to what the original calibre was.
If he is serious about selling I might make an offer subject to more information being available.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Westley Richards made quite a few Farquarson rifles too.

Auction Item
Superb Cased Gibbs Farquharson Match Rifle. Click on images for enlarged versions. ... Left side of action is engraved "GEORGE GIBBS / BRISTOL" ...
http://www.amoskeagauction.com/64/102.html - Cached
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

As I described Perry, the rifle has been rebarreled with a heavy round tapered bull bbl. with no rear sight (doveail blank installed) other than a modified Lyman tang sight (extra holes drilled?). The forend has been replaced as it's definitely a different color and grain than the buttstock. There's a lever missing on the right side of the receiver. Looking at the picture in the link provided, the missing lever is the one farthest towards the muzzle on the right side. As far as collector grade for this piece goes I think it's pretty much depleted. But, the uniqueness and history of what the action is, is pretty cool.

Can you tell me how parts availability is? I'm thinking of making a ridiculous offer, but only if the missing lever can be replaced. At this point I don't even know what the lever is. Can you suggest any links that would provide any more information on the piece? Thanks.

Game keeper, the link you provided is close, but not the same action. I just wish this rifle I found was original. It would be quite a find. I wouldn't be able to afford it if it was original though.

The left side of the receiver is inscribed Gibbs, Bristol, England and the right side has Farquharson Patent and the number. I know it's a Gibb's I just wasn't positive of what model.
Old Law Dawg
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Maybe these guys can help you if they are still in business.
http://www.frontierarmory.com/ I know they were planning on selling castings for a number of old single-shots, including Jeffries-Farquharsons, so maybe they could at least tell you what's missing.If you can get another look at it the original patent date was May 25th 1872 and it was patent #1592. I can try to get a copy of the patent drawing if all else fails.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Actually, it's not really a "Gibbs" rifle.
A more precise definition of it would be as the original patent - a Farquharson rifle, which particular example was made by Gibbs (or, a Gibbs Farquharson rifle).

As noted, there were many maker of that patent, like Wesley Richards.

BTW - I don't know if it was the same Gibbs Rifle Co, who later moved to Canada - but they were offering .45-70 British SMLE (Enfields) in stainless steel, several years ago.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I doubt they will be much help but just in case you want to contact whats left of the old George Gibbs Company.

I.M. Crudgington Ltd
Incorporating GEORGE GIBBS Ltd.
37 Broad Street
Bath
Somerset BA1 5LT
Tel: (01225) 464928 or 466325
Fax: (01442) 442976
Member of: Game Conservancy, British Association for Shooting & Conservation, Countryside Alliance
Gunmaker
Contact Mark D. Crudgington
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks to one and all for the information. I'll see what I can find out.
Old Law Dawg
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

http://www.martiniandhagngunmakers.com/ ... arrels.htm - Cached

This company in Canada may be of use. Scroll down to see their re-barreled Farquharson Action.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Pete, I thought the Gibbs company that was offering the .45-70 SMLEs was in West Virginia?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.